inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Written By: Retrolover on 08/03/19 at 9:32 am

Is National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation the ultimate 80s movie?

There are signs that the Griswolds are getting closer to the early 90s: Clark’s nostalgia for “Looney Tunes” (Taz mug), the Chicago Bears snapback Clark wears, the Guns ‘N Roses poster in Audrey’s, and the hoodie that Rusty has. Not to mention, Julia Louis-Dreyfus (aka Elaine on “Seinfeld”) is in it and Juliette Lewis (“Natural Born Killers”) is Audrey this time around.

At the same time, we are reminded that it is still the 80s as well. An Adidas logo shirt can be seen on one of the men in the band singing before Clark hits the mall with Rusty.

Has anyone on here seen this movie before? It’s not “National Lampoon’s Vacation”, but much better than the 90s “Vacation” movie that shall not be named.

https://rileywilliamlittle.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/christmas-vacation-screenshots.jpg

Let me know what you think. Were there better movies from the 80s that scream, “We’re living in the 80s”?

Subject: Re: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Written By: andersenb11775 on 08/05/19 at 4:28 pm

Ruby Sue is wearing a long hair wig :)

Written By: Retrolover on 08/05/19 at 7:36 pm

Ruby Sue is wearing a long hair wig :)

Where is Ellen Latzen now?

Has there been a “NLCV” reunion yet?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 5:32 am

Now this is one film I have never got round to viewing, it is one most Christmases here.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 08/06/19 at 5:36 am

Ellen Latzen was in the Christmas episode of Family Ties a couple of years earlier. A tomboy, the costume designer put her in a green dress with lace trim, white stockings and black Mary Janes. Ellen has said her mother and sister started to laugh when she came out on set in that.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/19 at 6:51 am

Where is Ellen Latzen now?

Has there been a “NLCV” reunion yet?

I don't think so, I'm not sure if Chevy Chase is up to it.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 8:27 am

There was a mini reunion with Chevy Chase and Juliette Lewis earlier in this decade:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyedge.ie/christmas-vacation-reunion-694374-Nov2012/%3famp=1

Juliette Lewis met up with Johnny Galecki on the set of The Connors,also:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.moviefone.com/2018/09/25/christmas-vacation-siblings-to-reunite-and-now-date-on-the-conners/amp/

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been a group shot of all of the actors who played the Grisworlds in “Christmas Vacation”. On the other hand, one does exist for “Vacation”. It looks like fans of “Christmas Vacation” will have to wait for Beverly D’Angelo to join the rest of the cast who played the Grisworlds in the movie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 8:32 am

A few years back he (Chevy Chase) appeared on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", and he showed his age on that.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/06/19 at 6:58 pm

A few years back he (Chevy Chase) appeared on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?", and he showed his age on that.

I haven’t seen that. Are there clips on YouTube?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/19 at 10:49 pm

I haven’t seen that. Are there clips on YouTube?
Tis possible.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/19 at 7:49 am

I thought he gained some weight.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/19 at 11:43 am

I thought he gained some weight.
That episode of WHIIA? does not appear to be on YouTube.

Written By: Retrolover on 08/07/19 at 12:28 pm

That episode of WHIIA? does not appear to be on YouTube.

Chevy Chase was on a show called “Community” on NBC from the 2000s into the 10s.

Subject: National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Written By: Dude111 on 08/10/19 at 1:05 pm

I love Vacation 3 like crazy!!!!!!

I like it on VHS recorded from analogue cable!! (HBO I think)

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/28/19 at 12:34 am

There was sort of a reunion.  Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure.

I have all the National Lampoon's vacation movies with Chevy Chase.  I watch Christmas Vacation every year.  Love it.  Things like the fried cat under the chair they won't show on TV, have to see that on the recorded version.  I have the VHS, who knows if they cut it out by the time they made it into DVD.  One reason I prefer the old VHS movies, you get the real deal.

The Taurus wagon looks to me like one of the earliest production models which started in 1986, I wonder what year was actually used.  Possibly more than one since I doubt the one survived that landed at the Christmas tree lot.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 08/28/19 at 10:39 am

This is Ellen Latzen in the Family Ties Christmas special... following the "gender controversy" in Fatal Attraction. I think the green dress, white stockings etc. went a bit far in the other direction...

https://i.imgur.com/UqZtwr6.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...