inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question for People Who Experienced All of the 80s

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/21/19 at 10:01 pm

When did you realize 80s culture was officially gone it was the 90s?

Subject: Re: Question for People Who Experienced All of the 80s

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/19 at 11:03 pm

I can only answer based on my own perspective.  I spent the 1980s decade as a 20-something, so I was a "young adult" throughout.  As such it was a very changeable decade for me - high highs and low lows.  For me personally, I noticed the vibe of the 80's on its way out by the very late 1980's (late '88/'89) - by then the music had changed, the tone of TV shows had changed, "kinder gentler" was definitely on its way out.  Perhaps there was another shift during the 90's, but by that time I'd tuned out.  (I'd also gone through some personal changes during that timeframe which could color my views - but that statement could likely apply to any time span in the decade.)

Written By: violet_shy on 09/22/19 at 10:44 am

Spent my entire childhood in the '80s, so by the end of the decade I was old enough to know when the '80s ended and I remember it well. To me 1980s culture officially ended in late 1989 to mid 1990. Music began to have a different sound. And everything changed.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/19 at 1:40 pm

I remember that I was 6 years old when the 1980's started and 15 years old when The 1980's ended.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/19 at 3:23 pm

I remember that I was 6 years old when the 1980's started and 15 years old when The 1980's ended.

Was there any particular time you noticed a "culture shift" from 80's culture to 90's culture?  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/22/19 at 4:49 pm

I can only answer based on my own perspective.  I spent the 1980s decade as a 20-something, so I was a "young adult" throughout.  As such it was a very changeable decade for me - high highs and low lows.  For me personally, I noticed the vibe of the 80's on its way out by the very late 1980's (late '88/'89) - by then the music had changed, the tone of TV shows had changed, "kinder gentler" was definitely on its way out.  Perhaps there was another shift during the 90's, but by that time I'd tuned out.  (I'd also gone through some personal changes during that timeframe which could color my views - but that statement could likely apply to any time span in the decade.)

This is my first time hearing about kinder gentler, what was that all about?

How would you describe the 80s vibe?

What were the low lows?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/19 at 5:38 pm

This is my first time hearing about kinder gentler, what was that all about?

How would you describe the 80s vibe?

What were the low lows?

As far as "kinder gentler", it's hard to describe, but it was a vibe you'd get from TV shows like Family Ties or the Cosby Show - a vibe of being more inclined to pick up others in your sphere instead of smacking them down.  None of that "in your face" posture.  Competition was "nice"; people were "nice".  Folks cared about others, even strangers.  I can't think of anything more tangible to say about it.

I'd say the 80's vibe was pretty upbeat, optimism was up, and society at large felt prosperous.  There were definitely problems - the cold war, urban gangs, drug abuse, rising teen pregnancy (as it had already been), AIDS, urban schools' test scores, urban crime, stuff like that.  But employment was up and people were upbeat about their futures.

"Low lows" was strictly on a personal level.  (As were "high highs".)  I won't elaborate further - not here.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/19 at 6:02 pm

I was too busy dealing with REAL LIFE to worry about 80s/90s culture.

Cat

Written By: Dj. on 09/22/19 at 6:07 pm

Written By: BornIn86 on 09/22/19 at 8:00 pm

I was too busy dealing with REAL LIFE to worry about 80s/90s culture.

Cat

I feel the same way about 2013 to now but I like to Google pop culture from those years and see how much of the culture I was unconsciously consuming.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/19 at 5:35 am

Was there any particular time you noticed a "culture shift" from 80's culture to 90's culture?  ???

What's a "culture shift"? ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/23/19 at 3:52 pm

What's a "culture shift"? ???

Just meaning when 80's culture was out and 90's culture was in, according to your experience...

Written By: AcoBrasil on 09/25/19 at 8:37 pm

I graduated high school in the very early 90s.  I recall reading a decade change article that Newsweek or Time wrote.  The music videos for Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and MC Hammer's "Cant Touch This" certainly felt very different.

Written By: rapplepop on 09/26/19 at 5:10 am

Wasn't around then, but it seems like 80s fashion at least was still predominant as late as 1991 in at least some parts of the United States, based on video yearbooks from high schools I've seen on YouTube. I would guess the 80s vibe died sometime in 1990 though, most of the classic 80s cartoons like Thundercats and Smurfs weren't on the air anymore (or at least weren't making new episodes), the synth sound of the 80s was being replaced with house music and rap really got big that year.

So I would say the 80s died in summer of 1990, and the 90s started in late 1991 or early 1992. In between was kind of a "neither" period, sort of like the year 1980 was not the 70s anymore but not really the 80s yet either.

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 1:10 am

How did the decadeology stuff start dominating again with decade old stickies in place warning against it?

Is it basically a stance of 'Any activity is better than no activity'?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/19 at 2:21 am

How did the decadeology stuff start dominating again with decade old stickies in place warning against it?

Is it basically a stance of 'Any activity is better than no activity'?
It all stems for discussing about generations.

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 2:27 am

It all stems for discussing about generations.

So it's been renamed for convenience....  8-P

Interesting.

The last time I left was due to that issue. I'll see how long I can make it this time.

I have a short fuse for decadeology and my advancing age isn't making it any longer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/27/19 at 6:18 am

A different gravy to cover the same meat?

Written By: karen on 11/01/19 at 11:13 am

Interesting.

The last time I left was due to that issue. I'll see how long I can make it this time.

I have a short fuse for decadeology and my advancing age isn't making it any longer.

I don't think this is a decadeology discussion at all.  It isn't asking you to compare and contrast one random year with another, but talking about trends and changing pop culture, which surely is what this site is about?

My problem with this sort of question is that when you are living through something you rarely note the changes as it isn't like things suddenly switch from one style to another. It is only with hindsight that you may notice when a change happened.

Speaking personally I moved to secondary school at the start of the eighties, and was working and planning to get married by the start of the nineties so my outlook on life had changed drastically in that time.  I went from liking pop chart music, through a goth phase and out the other side.  I loosely followed clothing trends for some of that time (within my limited budget), but was very much a jeans and t-shirt kinda thing by the early nineties.

Check for new replies or respond here...