inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Has anyone was the Top of The Pops 'The Story of...' music documentaries?

Written By: Criz on 10/03/19 at 2:28 pm

The BBC have been releasing these specials for the past few years. They started with 1976 in 2011, but as soon as they hit the 80s, they have been releasing two a year - one in Jan and one in June. 1988 was the last one released earlier this year.

I think they are really great insights into the music of the day - especially from a British perspective. I loved watching TOTP and as a kid I used to watch the 80s/90s Christmas TOTP on repeat on VHS. So comforting!

Here's a link to 1981 if you're interested. Most are on youtube, so check out others too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUywenkCYk

Subject: Re: Has anyone was the Top of The Pops 'The Story of...' music documentaries?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/19 at 1:50 am

Due to the unfortunate events that rocked the pop music industry and several Disk Jockeys lost their jobs on the radio and television, not all clips from Top Of The Pops are available for viewing having been withdrawn by the BBC.

Subject: Re: Has anyone was the Top of The Pops 'The Story of...' music documentaries?

Written By: Criz on 10/05/19 at 7:17 am

Due to the unfortunate events that rocked the pop music industry and several Disk Jockeys lost their jobs on the radio and television, not all clips from Top Of The Pops are available for viewing having been withdrawn by the BBC.

For the 70s ones I watched, they very wisely did not include a certain few DJs that you are speaking of. I know Operation yewtree didn't start until 2012 - I haven't watched the '75 , '76  or '77 episodes as I'm not a huge 70s fan - but the 80s ones are really worth a watch.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 8:21 am

For the 70s ones I watched, they very wisely did not include a certain few DJs that you are speaking of. I know Operation yewtree didn't start until 2012 - I haven't watched the '75 , '76  or '77 episodes as I'm not a huge 70s fan - but the 80s ones are really worth a watch.
These programs do bring back memories for me, and in these shows when a band/singer is performing is information still displayed?

Written By: Criz on 10/05/19 at 10:27 am

These programs do bring back memories for me, and in these shows when a band/singer is performing is information still displayed?

No 'pop up' captioned facts like TOTP2 does. It's all in voice over with Mel Giedroyc providing the info. They're so good; every time I hear there's a new one I think - it can't be as good as the last - and I'm quickly proven wrong! I highly recommend watching them on Youtube or even in BBC Iplayer if any are available. 

Written By: Howard on 10/05/19 at 2:29 pm

What was your favorite group from Top Of The Pops?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/05/19 at 2:40 pm

What was your favorite group from Top Of The Pops?
I have no real favourite group from Top of the Pops, it is favourite moments (clips) for me.

Just watch the miming and fake playing of the mandolin from guest performer DJ John Peel for "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart and the Faces, from 1971.
kcoWUt51zaU

Written By: Criz on 10/08/19 at 1:47 pm

Or even not miming and it sounding awful. I love new Order but man, this was a wrong choice for them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTb2rZ0SBg4

Written By: Howard on 10/08/19 at 1:59 pm

Or even not miming and it sounding awful. I love new Order but man, this was a wrong choice for them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTb2rZ0SBg4

Written By: Howard on 10/08/19 at 2:00 pm

The BBC have been releasing these specials for the past few years. They started with 1976 in 2011, but as soon as they hit the 80s, they have been releasing two a year - one in Jan and one in June. 1988 was the last one released earlier this year.

I think they are really great insights into the music of the day - especially from a British perspective. I loved watching TOTP and as a kid I used to watch the 80s/90s Christmas TOTP on repeat on VHS. So comforting!

Here's a link to 1981 if you're interested. Most are on youtube, so check out others too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrUywenkCYk

I'm really enjoying The Top Of The Pops stories, brings back nostalgia.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/09/19 at 6:43 am

I have no real favourite group from Top of the Pops, it is favourite moments (clips) for me.

Just watch the miming and fake playing of the mandolin from guest performer DJ John Peel for "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart and the Faces, from 1971.
kcoWUt51zaU
For the record, it was musician Ray Jackson (of Lindisfarne) that played the mandolin for this record, and threatened legal action against Stewart in 2003, claiming that he should have been credited as co-composer of "Maggie May" alongside Stewart and guitarist Martin Quittenton for writing the musical "hook" of the song.

Written By: Criz on 10/12/19 at 10:33 am

I'm really enjoying The Top Of The Pops stories, brings back nostalgia.

You should def watch all the documentaries - they're so good. Plus, you might find some songs that you had either forgotton about, or maybe never heard of from the UK!

Written By: Howard on 10/12/19 at 2:21 pm

You should def watch all the documentaries - they're so good. Plus, you might find some songs that you had either forgotton about, or maybe never heard of from the UK!

I just finished watching 1981 and I will watch more later on in the week.

Written By: Criz on 10/12/19 at 2:53 pm

I just finished watching 1981 and I will watch more later on in the week.

Good stuff - did you enjoy it? :)

Written By: Howard on 10/13/19 at 7:08 am

Good stuff - did you enjoy it? :)

I liked it, just surprised The female dancers Legs And Co after the early to mid 80's were no longer needed.  :(

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/19 at 11:40 pm

Like the Jimmy Saville incident?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/25/19 at 4:21 am

Like the Jimmy Saville incident?
Indeed, and with those personalities connected.

Written By: robby76 on 11/01/19 at 11:14 am

Yes I've been watching all the 80s ones. Shame that the reruns with Mike Smith can't be aired. A lot of classic performances can't be shown. All a bit silly in my opinion, but I know opinion is divided.

Written By: Criz on 11/02/19 at 12:24 pm

Yes I've been watching all the 80s ones. Shame that the reruns with Mike Smith can't be aired. A lot of classic performances can't be shown. All a bit silly in my opinion, but I know opinion is divided.

The next one should be released in Jan - looking forward to it.

Written By: Howard on 11/02/19 at 2:33 pm

The next one should be released in Jan - looking forward to it.

Which one is it?

Written By: Criz on 11/07/19 at 12:55 pm

Which one is it?

I think it's 1989!

Check for new replies or respond here...