inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1980s school year trends

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/13/19 at 4:46 pm

We've seen this concept created for other decades, where it basically takes into account the pop culture trends that identify with a particular class, with trends introduced the preceding summer also listed.

1979-80: Electronic handeld games, Space Invaders, "disco sucks", The Muppets plush dolls, Mork and Mindy, Queen, cowboy boots, painter paints, Jimmy & Kristy McNichol, The Dukes of Hazzard

1980-81: Dallas, Asteroids, Urban Cowboy, Rubik's Cube, Atari 2600, Blondie, Diff'rent Strokes, Pat Benatar, boomboxes, Fame, legwarmers, Feelin' 7Up campaign, Speak 'n Math/Spell, horror movies, Hall & Oates

1981-82: Wrangler jeans, Pac-Man mania, Hill Street Blues, Tom Selleck posters, General Hospital, The Facts Of Life, Rick Springfield, leotards, docksiders, Members Only jackets, The Go-Go's, Maybelline Moisture Whip, knickers, preppies, ruffles & lace, duck boots, aerobics

1982-83: Fast Times At Ridgemont High, Flashdance, Apple II, "I want my MTV" shirts, new wave, Donkey Kong, The Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Colecovision, Valley Girl slang and lingo, A Flock of Seagulls/Boy George hairdos

1983-84: Breakdancing, Michael Jackson mania, Cyndi Lauper, MOTU, Duran Duran, Tonka robots, Cabbage Patch Kids, Flashdance,  Ray-Ban sunglasses, Diet Coke, Chic jeans, cutoff shirts, Computer Rock, Wacky Wall walkers

1984-85: Go Bots, Madonnamania, Gremlins, Commodore 64, Prince, Levi's 501 blue jeans, Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, My Little Pony, shoulder pads, Michael J. Fox, Kids Incorporated, Sweet Valley High, Molly Ringwald, Ocean Pacific shirts, parachute pants

1985-86: Transformers, She-Ra, Disney's Gummi Bears, the "Miami Vice" look, The Goonies, Teddy Ruxpin, Aquanet shampoo, Glo-Worm, Mullets, Garbage Pail Kids, New Coke, Jellie shoes, Amazing Stories, a-Ha, Baby On Board stickers

1986-87: Benetton, Janet Jackson, Bon Jovi, The Beastie Boys, Muppet Babies, Bill Cosby, Lazer Tag, My Buddy & Kid Sister, Jem, Pound Puppies, Atari 7800, midriffs, Max Headroom, Kirk Cameron

1987-88: ALF, acid-washed jeans, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, The Real Ghostbusters, Square One TV, Michael Jackson's Bad, Dirty Dancing, Cherry 7Up, DuckTales, Spaceballs, Def Leppard, L.A. Gear, GE Jammer clock radios, Richard Marx, clear bandaids

1988-89: Double Dare, Beetlejuice, Bobby Brown, NES, Pocket Rockers, The Hogan Family, Oliver & Company, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, The Limited sweaters, Fun House, Poison, Garfield & Friends, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, Talkin' Baseball, Guns 'n Roses, retro '60s looks

Subject: Re: 1980s school year trends

Written By: violet_shy on 10/24/19 at 11:32 am

I started school in 1985. I remember all of those trends!

Written By: nally on 10/24/19 at 12:18 pm

I started school in 1985. I remember all of those trends!

I remember a number of them from 1985 onward as well. :)

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 1:15 am

Holy hell....when you put it in a list like that with 30 years of hindsight, you see the huge drop-off in quality in those last couple years.

Yikes...

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/27/19 at 10:04 am

Holy hell....when you put it in a list like that with 30 years of hindsight, you see the huge drop-off in quality in those last couple years.

Yikes...

I disagree as I feel that the late '80s are just as fun as the earlier portion of the decade. Who growing up then couldn't forget their first marathons playing Nintendo, grooving to the freestyle and new jack swing, listening to the college rock if you're a little older, enjoying then-edgy shows like Married... With Children and Morton Downey, Jr, the peak of SNL's renaissance, Nickelodeon's early game shows, while a lot of trends from earlier in the decade where still hangin' on? Check out the '90s thread I created last year to see how it continued, and then compare.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=58668.0

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 12:31 pm

I was sexually active the last few years of the decade. Of course they were fun.

I never said it wasn't fun...I simply said the quality is declining. You actually did a pretty good job showing the trends.

Yes... Nintendo marathons were great...but other areas of pop culture are winding down considerably. Hard rock and pop go on a temporary but steep decline, the rise of GNR the exception.

We also got a small taste of the out of sight but imminent Desert Storm with the invasion of Panama.

While the 80s overall were incredible, we were also already seeing Reagan-Bush fatigue set in and Bush's term was barely underway.

I have always believed that a president, no matter how good or bad, popular or otherwise, really sets the tone and also can act as a sort of mirror for pop culture.

Written By: Howard on 10/27/19 at 3:02 pm

I was sexually active the last few years of the decade. Of course they were fun.

I never said it wasn't fun...I simply said the quality is declining. You actually did a pretty good job showing the trends.

Yes... Nintendo marathons were great...but other areas of pop culture are winding down considerably. Hard rock and pop go on a temporary but steep decline, the rise of GNR the exception.

We also got a small taste of the out of sight but imminent Desert Storm with the invasion of Panama.

While the 80s overall were incredible, we were also already seeing Reagan-Bush fatigue set in and Bush's term was barely underway.

I have always believed that a president, no matter how good or bad, popular or otherwise, really sets the tone and also can act as a sort of mirror for pop culture.

What was a Nintendo marathon?

Written By: TheGipper on 10/27/19 at 4:17 pm

What was a Nintendo marathon?

I suppose he/she was referring to all nighters or a whole weekend where you would have friends over and do nothing but play Nintendo.

It was much different in those days without internet, multiplayer,etc.

Written By: robby76 on 11/01/19 at 10:39 am

Yikes...

Probably just an age thing. I feel the same... ish. I was becoming a teenager, so whilst I still enjoyed those later years, they don't hold as much nostalgic power as the mid-80s.

Check for new replies or respond here...