inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The new '40 years ago today' thread

Written By: nally on 01/01/20 at 11:03 am

1980 is now 40 years ago! :o :o

Here are some things that occurred on January 1st 1980:

Premier Adbou Diouf becomes president of Senegal
Sweden changes order of succession to throne
Victoria is crowned princess of Sweden.
Australian Open Women's Tennis: In an all-American final Barbara Jordan wins her first and only Grand Slam singles title; beats Sharon Walsh 6-3, 6-3

Subject: Re: The new '40 years ago today' thread

Written By: nally on 01/02/20 at 6:28 pm

January 2nd 1980:
In Australian Open Men's Tennis, Guillermo Vilas retains title for 4th and last Grand Slam win; beats American John Sadri 7-6, 6-3, 6-2.
British Steel workers go on a national strike.

Written By: nally on 01/07/20 at 10:49 am

January 7th 1980: U.S. President Jimmy Carter authorizes legislation giving $1.5 billion in loans to bail out the Chrysler Corporation.

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/09/20 at 1:23 pm

Who decides how old something is around here?  In what alternate universe is 1980 40 years ago??

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/20 at 3:32 pm

January 10th 1980 - Jim Stewart, Boston Bruins' rookie goalie allows three goals in his first four minutes and a total of five in first period; he never again plays in the NHL.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/20 at 10:56 am

January 11th 1980 - Nigel Short, age 14, from Bolton in Britain, became the youngest International Master in the history of chess.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/20 at 2:52 pm

January 14th 1980 – Indira Gandhi became prime minister of India for second time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/20 at 5:15 pm

January 16th 1980, Paul McCartney was jailed for nine days in Tokyo for marijuana possession after being found with 219g on his arrival at Narita Airport in Japan. McCartney said in 2004. “This stuff was too good to flush down the toilet, so I thought I’d take it with me.”

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/18/20 at 5:51 pm

From record & tape clubs to Joanne Worley plugging Kleenex to TVs that still had wood to even an early attempt at H.W. Bush from becoming U.S. President, these blocks of classic commercials can almost feel like a class reunion in terms of the products people used or considered back then. This came from a late night recording off CBS from a Betamax tape I found last fall. It may not be as historically significant as most posts on these "years ago" threads, but posts like these can offer a fun ephemeral escape in terms of what was being promoted back then.

YC_uVi-wgYQ

I still think of 40 years ago as being in the 1960s since that's what it was when I was in high school/college/just out of college, so it does shock me to realize that were now talking the decade where the 24-hour news cycle and the widespread adoption of computers is now at this point in history. But the memories will live on through these "escapes in time", which happened to be the episode of The Avengers that was being rerun during this compilation of classic ads here.

Written By: nally on 01/18/20 at 5:57 pm

^ Oh yes, George Bush Sr. first sought the Republican presidential nomination in '80... but eventually lost out to Ronald Reagan, who subsequently selected him as his running mate.

Also...a lot of my "peers" were born around that time as well. In fact I think I have known a number of people who have already turned 40 this month (with more to come). (I'll be turning 40 in July.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/20 at 3:46 pm

January 21st 1980 - Gold was valued at $850 an ounce.

Written By: nally on 01/26/20 at 3:27 pm

January 26th 1980: Israel and Egypt establish diplomatic relations.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 12:45 pm

January 28th 1980 - The original Ants split up with Adam.

Written By: nally on 01/28/20 at 12:47 pm

January 28th 1980 - The original Ants split up with Adam.

Also in pop music history that day, Nick Carter was born; he is the youngest member of the American boyband Backstreet Boys.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/28/20 at 4:32 pm

January 28th 1980 - Six Americans who had fled the U.S. embassy in theran, Iran, on November 4, 1979, left Iran using false Canadian diplomatic passports. The Americans had been hidden at the Canadian embassy in theran.

Written By: nally on 01/28/20 at 4:48 pm

January 28th 1980 - Six Americans who had fled the U.S. embassy in Tehran, Iran, on November 4, 1979, left Iran using false Canadian diplomatic passports. The Americans had been hidden at the Canadian embassy in Tehran.

Too bad for them. :o

I wish t-e-h could get taken out of the cuss filter.

Check for new replies or respond here...