inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Super Mario feel weird to you guys when you first played it?

Written By: 2001 on 01/16/20 at 11:19 am

I mean it's a plumber who shoots fireballs, who jumps on walking cupcakes and flying fish, digs into tunnels full of turtles, trying to save a princess capture by a dinosaur. Oh yeah he also eats mushrooms  ::)

Like, what? I was an impressionable 3 year old when I played this so I could suspend disbelief, but what did everyone else think of this madness?  ???

Subject: Re: Did Super Mario feel weird to when you first played it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/20 at 11:22 am

Yes, it seem weird at first> when we had an arcade machine version of installed into the canteen/rest area of my work back then, it was continuously being played by other members of staff, so in my case along with many others, we had to only watch. Eventually, my son had a home version on box at home.

Subject: Re: Did Super Mario feel weird to you guys when you first played it?

Written By: Senor Teletubby on 01/16/20 at 11:30 am

Never gave it a second thought.  I saw stuff like that in real life all the time. To me it was just fun!

Written By: Howard on 01/16/20 at 2:45 pm

I mean it's a plumber who shoots fireballs, who jumps on walking cupcakes and flying fish, digs into tunnels full of turtles, trying to save a princess capture by a dinosaur. Oh yeah he also eats mushrooms  ::)

Like, what? I was an impressionable 3 year old when I played this so I could suspend disbelief, but what did everyone else think of this madness?  ???

I thought the game was so much fun especially Super Mario Brothers back in 1988 when I had to go through so many levels.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/16/20 at 11:23 pm

It seemed extremely lifelike compared to the simple handful of pixels that represented characters on Atari and Coleco Vision.  Actually after NES is about where I draw the line, I don't like games that are too real looking.  I always thought he was pulling fireballs out of his nose.

My favorite was Super Mario 2.  I loved the bright super cartoony effects and the music.  I liked being Luigi because he could jump higher than anyone else.

Written By: annimal on 01/17/20 at 2:11 pm

Bowser is a dragon not a dinosaur

Written By: nally on 01/17/20 at 6:17 pm

Either way, he's a reptilian creature.

Written By: annimal on 01/17/20 at 8:54 pm

know what I find weird is that the mushrooms in the Mushroom Kingdom are fungus.  The mushrooms that Mario kills might actually be saver to us humans

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/20 at 5:53 am

He is actually a turtle.

Written By: 2001 on 01/18/20 at 5:54 am

know what I find weird is that the mushrooms in the Mushroom Kingdom are fungus.  The mushrooms that Mario kills might actually be saver to us humans

Wait Goombas are MUSHROOMS? I thought they were cupcakes *mind blown*

Written By: nally on 01/18/20 at 11:21 am

But there are different types of mushrooms that he uses as power-ups.

This is even true in Super Mario Land, a game released to the Game Boy in '89.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/20 at 11:35 am

I guess the best way to explain it is to show that we were going from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2p2ANFlQ4

To this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLl9XBg7wSs

The Atari 2600 was a crude, primitive, crappy gaming system yet no one realized it until the NES came out. I'd argue that the difference in gameplay between an Atari 2600 and a NES is greater than the difference between a PS1 and a PS4. It really was a revolutionary, mind-blowing leap forward from the Atari.

But what did we think of the game itself? Well for one, we were already familiar with Mario from the Donkey Kong series of coin-op arcade games, which were goofy in themselves yet were wildly popular nonetheless, so Super Mario Bros. might not have been as foreign to us as you might think. The important thing is that these were (and still are) fun and challenging games to play and we just saw Super Mario Bros. as an extension of that.

Which made it even more awesome because the Nintendo Entertainment System now allowed us to play arcade quality games in our own homes for as long as we wanted. And the gameplay really was a quantum leap forward. What did it for me was the ability to control Mario's trajectory while in mid-air.

It's funny, I haven't given Super Mario Bros. much thought in a while but I could go on for hours and hours about how awesome that game was. There were so many little quirks and cheats in that game that we'd pass along to each other in school. I'm wouldn't at all be surprised if Howard and wagonman76 and annimal and nally all knew the "100 free guy" cheat and could still do it today.  ;)

Super Mario Bros. was as weird as hell, but we loved it.

Written By: annimal on 01/18/20 at 12:47 pm

the what?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/20 at 3:44 pm

He is actually a turtle.

And he owns his own castle.

Written By: annimal on 01/18/20 at 4:19 pm

and his kids now have their own castles as well.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/20 at 4:47 pm

the what?

The 100 free guys.

You knew how to get the 100 free guys on Super Mario Brothers, right?

Written By: annimal on 01/18/20 at 5:47 pm

why would I even need 100 guys?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/18/20 at 8:02 pm

why would I even need 100 guys?

In part because it was a fun cheat, but also if you got 100 free lives then it would almost ensure that you could finish the game.

Written By: annimal on 01/18/20 at 8:36 pm

what's up with the suits that make you fly?  suits don't make you fly and on top of that raccoons don't fly.

Written By: Dude111 on 01/19/20 at 2:59 am

I only like the first one and I didnt play IT until sometime after 2000 ... I first played a crappy flash game of it and then I got a nintendo emulator and now I play alot :)

Its probably the only Nintendo game I like..... (I prefer older consoles (Better games))

However I also have 2 other games I play with my Nintendo emu

1) Dig Dug (I like the original better though (Better sounds))
2) Pacmania

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 7:04 am

I only like the first one and I didnt play IT until sometime after 2000 ... I first played a crappy flash game of it and then I got a nintendo emulator and now I play alot :)

Its probably the only Nintendo game I like..... (I prefer older consoles (Better games))

However I also have 2 other games I play with my Nintendo emu

1) Dig Dug (I like the original better though (Better sounds))
2) Pacmania

How do you like the emulator version of the retro video games?

Written By: Dude111 on 01/19/20 at 7:16 am

Well not as good as the original console games Howard,thanx for asking buddy :)

Written By: Howard on 01/19/20 at 7:50 am

Well not as good as the original console games Howard,thanx for asking buddy :)

I do play Super Mario online, it's not the same as playing as a video game.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/19/20 at 7:38 pm

Does anyone remember how to make the fireworks go off at the end of each stage when Mario pulls the flag down?  ;)

Written By: annimal on 01/19/20 at 10:12 pm

I think you pull the flag down from the very top

Written By: nally on 01/20/20 at 12:23 pm

Does anyone remember how to make the fireworks go off at the end of each stage when Mario pulls the flag down?  ;)

I think you pull the flag down from the very top

All I know is that when Mario completes a stage, he approaches the flagpole, then he jumps on it and slides down with the flag; I don't remember any fireworks going off.

Watching this gives me a few reminders of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbe-X_7qVF0

Written By: Howard on 01/20/20 at 3:14 pm

All I know is that when Mario completes a stage, he approaches the flagpole, then he jumps on it and slides down with the flag; I don't remember any fireworks going off.

Watching this gives me a few reminders of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbe-X_7qVF0

I think when he reaches the end of the stage, fireworks go off.

Written By: nally on 01/20/20 at 3:16 pm

Maybe after he vanquishes a "boss" character?

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 3:17 pm

I think you have to jump on the very top of the flagpole for the fireworks to go off. I might be wrong though.

Written By: Howard on 01/20/20 at 3:50 pm

I think you have to jump on the very top of the flagpole for the fireworks to go off. I might be wrong though.

Yes I believe you have to in order to go to the next level.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/20 at 4:24 pm

I never really got into Mario Bros. I used to watch others play but never could really do it myself. However, it was Zelda that hooked me and I had to get a Nintendo system just to play Zelda.

I did like Super Mario in Nintendo 64.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/20 at 5:12 pm

Actually it was all about the timer. The clock stopped as soon as Mario touched the flagpole. If the number on the timer ended in 6 when you stopped the clock by reaching the flagpole (i26 seconds, 16 seconds, etc.) then 6 fireworks would go off. If the number ended in 1 then 1 firework would go off.

Among other things, it was the little hidden quirks like this in Super Mario Brothers that made it so fun.

Written By: nally on 01/20/20 at 7:58 pm

Actually it was all about the timer. The clock stopped as soon as Mario touched the flagpole. If the number on the timer ended in 6 when you stopped the clock by reaching the flagpole (i26 seconds, 16 seconds, etc.) then 6 fireworks would go off. If the number ended in 1 then 1 firework would go off.

So, basicly, timer modulo 10 equals the number of fireworks that go off when the clock stops. Interesting, I had not realized that.

However, when I watch this clip again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbe-X_7qVF0

I don't see any fireworks.
For example, at the 3:26 mark, the player finishes stage 1.2, with 314 remaining on the clock... and in the time it takes him to slide down the flagpole, disappear into the castle, and the remaining time to be added to the score, there are no fireworks seen.

Maybe that was for SMB2? (Edit: maybe not. I am looking at a playthrough of that game and there is no timer shown on there.)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/20 at 8:03 pm

So, basicly, timer modulo 10 equals the number of fireworks that go off when the clock stops. Interesting, I had not realized that.

However, when I watch this clip again:
I don't see any fireworks.
For example, at the 3:26 mark, the player finishes stage 1.2, with 314 remaining on the clock... and in the time it takes him to slide down the flagpole, disappear into the castle, and the remaining time to be added to the score, there are no fireworks seen.

Maybe that was for SMB2?

No, it only works when the timer ends in 1 or 6.

Written By: nally on 01/20/20 at 8:05 pm

No, it only works when the timer ends in 1 or 6.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. O0

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/20/20 at 8:13 pm

Okay, thanks for clarifying. O0

I guess I wasn't 100% right, it works on 3 as well.

Written By: 2001 on 01/20/20 at 9:20 pm

LOL I remember the game being a lot harder than that. He makes it seem so easy ;D

Written By: nally on 01/20/20 at 10:03 pm

LOL I remember the game being a lot harder than that. He makes it seem so easy ;D

That video was from a person who obviously has a lot of experience playing the game.

I guess I wasn't 100% right, it works on 3 as well.

Okay.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/21/20 at 6:22 am

I've always loved Super Mario Bros when I used to play it. It doesn't matter what your first game was, it was a HUGE learning curve when it was new to you, and once you understood all the mechanics, moves, and items, you fall in love with other Mario games and realize there's a lot of similarities, and the skill set isn't much big. Now I will say this, the older 2D Mario games for the NES and SNES such as the OG Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, or Super Mario World, were much more difficult than the New Super Mario Bros games for the DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Switch, and so forth. I'd say for current newcomers of the Mario franchise, play the New Super Mario Bros games first, then go back to the classic NES/SNES Mario games with more difficult mechanics. As a kid it only took me 6-9 months to 100% New Super Mario Bros for the DS, it took me around the same time to 100% New Super Mario Bros Wii, but I guarantee you if I had played the NES or SNES versions back in the 80's or 90's as a kid with no internet access or cheat codes, I may have never completed the game, or it may have taken me 2 years at minimum to complete. The 3D Mario games have a great balance of challenge but not too hard or easy, such as Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey, now I'm more familiar with the first 3 obviously, so.... Super Mario 64 is probably my all time favorite 3D Mario game followed by Galaxy as a close 2nd. I did not like Sunshine much but I still give it a lot of credit tho for being the true 3D Mario experience.

Written By: 2001 on 01/21/20 at 11:40 am

I've always loved Super Mario Bros when I used to play it. It doesn't matter what your first game was, it was a HUGE learning curve when it was new to you, and once you understood all the mechanics, moves, and items, you fall in love with other Mario games and realize there's a lot of similarities, and the skill set isn't much big. Now I will say this, the older 2D Mario games for the NES and SNES such as the OG Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, or Super Mario World, were much more difficult than the New Super Mario Bros games for the DS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U, Switch, and so forth. I'd say for current newcomers of the Mario franchise, play the New Super Mario Bros games first, then go back to the classic NES/SNES Mario games with more difficult mechanics. As a kid it only took me 6-9 months to 100% New Super Mario Bros for the DS, it took me around the same time to 100% New Super Mario Bros Wii, but I guarantee you if I had played the NES or SNES versions back in the 80's or 90's as a kid with no internet access or cheat codes, I may have never completed the game, or it may have taken me 2 years at minimum to complete. The 3D Mario games have a great balance of challenge but not too hard or easy, such as Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, and Odyssey, now I'm more familiar with the first 3 obviously, so.... Super Mario 64 is probably my all time favorite 3D Mario game followed by Galaxy as a close 2nd. I did not like Sunshine much but I still give it a lot of credit tho for being the true 3D Mario experience.

To be honest, I had this game around 1996 and I don't think I've ever finished it. Mainly because I didn't know how to save the game/pick up from where I left off, I don't think it was possible.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/20 at 1:36 pm

Oddly enough I didn't stick with Nintendo or the Mario franchise. My next console after the NES was a Sega Genesis and then after that I got a PlayStation One and have stayed with Sony ever since, mainly because of the Gran Turismo series.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/21/20 at 1:40 pm

To be honest, I had this game around 1996 and I don't think I've ever finished it. Mainly because I didn't know how to save the game/pick up from where I left off, I don't think it was possible.

You couldn't save the game in Super Mario Brothers. You just had to finish it all in one session, which took about an hour if you played it all the way through or about 15-20 minutes if you knew how to skip the levels and go right to the end.

The only game which you could save on the NES was the Legend of Zelda (which I never had), and the only reason you could save it was because the cartridge itself had a battery built in to it so it could save the data.

Written By: Iamthekingofthe80s on 01/21/20 at 2:00 pm

Being a major part of the team who created the game, I can honestly say that I loved it.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/20 at 2:03 pm

Being a major part of the team who created the game, I can honestly say that I loved it.

What was your favorite part of creating the game?

Written By: Iamthekingofthe80s on 01/21/20 at 2:10 pm

What was your favorite part of creating the game?

Probably working with the various characters in real life and finding out if they were going to allow us to use them in the game.  Luigi was especially hesitant. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/20 at 2:14 pm

One game I did enjoy from the Mario series from Nintendo was Mario Cart, I found it easier to play than the other games, and the competition was there, against someone else or the computer.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/20 at 4:44 am

Oddly enough I didn't stick with Nintendo or the Mario franchise. My next console after the NES was a Sega Genesis and then after that I got a PlayStation One and have stayed with Sony ever since, mainly because of the Gran Turismo series.

After The PS2 I got a PS3 and stayed with it ever since.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/22/20 at 6:19 am

Super Mario Bros. 1 didn't since it just felt new to me even though I was just preschool aged, but the western Super Mario Bros. 2 (AKA Super Mario USA) did at the time, since it felt quite unlike the original where you didn't really have points, Bowser, or throw fireballs. I wasn't aware that it was reworked from a game that featured characters from a Fuji TV anime until just last week, and wasn't aware that the game's credits and instruction manual had Birdo and Ostro mixed up. Then when I played the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2 (AKA The Lost Levels) for the first time about 12 years ago, I could certainly understand why that version was scrapped since I couldn't even get halfway through that game after just a day. 

Written By: mqg96 on 01/29/20 at 4:06 pm

Then when I played the "real" Super Mario Bros. 2 (AKA The Lost Levels) for the first time about 12 years ago, I could certainly understand why that version was scrapped since I couldn't even get halfway through that game after just a day.

Yeah the All Stars version which was titled as “Lost Levels” I was able to beat that but barely even with saves after each level. That game had brutal level design, troll invisible walls, charging hammer bros, and worst of all, the cryptic maze levels, and there were maze levels everywhere, not just the castles, but regular levels too. I could not beat the NES version, only the All-Stars/SNES version.

Check for new replies or respond here...