inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Atari

Written By: PacManFever2020 on 01/23/20 at 3:17 pm

Hi everybody! I’m new here and feeling very nostalgic lately about the 80’s and my old Atari systems.  Which one did you guys have?  I had the 2600 and 130XE, which was a computer, not a game console.

Subject: Re: Atari

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/24/20 at 12:20 am

My uncle had an Atari computer. Not sure which model if there were even more than one.

I had a coleco vision with 33 games and the steering wheel and foot pedal and controller overlays. Which was given to us. If Atari was a Chevy then coleco was a Cadillac. It also played Atari cartridges.

Written By: violet_shy on 01/24/20 at 1:47 am

In the 80s, my family didn't own an Atari. We had Intellivision(cause my dad wanted to be different  ::). This was 1981 or 82. I think we had a game called Burgertime but my memory of it is a little fuzzy. I was just a year old or 2.

Written By: Elor on 01/24/20 at 2:32 am

I think we had a game called Burgertime but my memory of it is a little fuzzy. I was just a year old or 2.
Your memory is probably correct as Burgertime was a game for early systems. I played it on a Commodore C64. :)

Written By: 2001 on 01/24/20 at 4:29 am

Most people don't believe me when I say I had an Atari 7800, but I did. I don't know WHY or HOW I got it, but I did. My favourite game was River Raid, but I also owned Pitfall and Galaga and a few others I might be forgetting.

My neighbour had an extra joystick controller and she would come over to my house to play River Raid, it was the best! I remember playing it as late as 1999, even though I got an N64 in 1998. River Raid was just that addictive ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 7:04 am

In the 80s, my family didn't own an Atari. We had Intellivision(cause my dad wanted to be different  ::). This was 1981 or 82. I think we had a game called Burgertime but my memory of it is a little fuzzy. I was just a year old or 2.

I used to own an Atari 2600, do you remember the blisters you used to get by using the joystick, Jess?

Written By: annimal on 01/24/20 at 10:49 am

I played Burgertime on an Intellivision and Pacman on a commodore 64.  Atari came out before my time.

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/24/20 at 11:37 am

I only played burger time in the short lived arcade in my town.

Written By: Howard on 01/24/20 at 2:00 pm

My uncle had an Atari computer. Not sure which model if there were even more than one.

I had a coleco vision with 33 games and the steering wheel and foot pedal and controller overlays. Which was given to us. If Atari was a Chevy then coleco was a Cadillac. It also played Atari cartridges.

What was your favorite Atari game?

Written By: violet_shy on 01/25/20 at 11:00 am

I used to own an Atari 2600, do you remember the blisters you used to get by using the joystick, Jess?

I remember one time I did play on our Intellivision. But I don't know if it gave me blisters.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/25/20 at 11:49 am

I never got blisters but those joysticks killed my wrists after about half an hour.  Had Nintendo not introduced the D-pad, I'm sure that carpal tunnel syndrome would have been epidemic among Generation X.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/25/20 at 4:10 pm

I remember one time I did play on our Intellivision. But I don't know if it gave me blisters.

I think it's the over usage of the joystick by using your thumb and moving the stick with your finger.

Written By: annimal on 01/25/20 at 5:16 pm

The controllers I had on the Intellivison had a disk for direction and buttons for numbers buttons.  it also had a button or two on the side for doing things like firing pepper spray

Written By: whistledog on 01/26/20 at 9:20 pm

The joystick for the Atari 2600 was a nightmare.  Being left handed, I hold the joystick with my left hand, but with the button being on the left, holding the controller was very awkward and hard to control as a result.  I never had much experience with it though because my jump into Atari was the 7800.  Before that, I had a Commodore Vic-20 and the controller for it had a wide button above the stick and it worked somewhat well

Written By: Howard on 01/27/20 at 5:11 am

The joystick for the Atari 2600 was a nightmare.  Being left handed, I hold the joystick with my left hand, but with the button being on the left, holding the controller was very awkward and hard to control as a result.  I never had much experience with it though because my jump into Atari was the 7800.  Before that, I had a Commodore Vic-20 and the controller for it had a wide button above the stick and it worked somewhat well

Did you use to get blisters when you holding the joystick?

Written By: wagonman76 on 01/27/20 at 8:43 am

What was your favorite Atari game?
[/quote

my favorites were probably pac man, breakout, and pole position.

Written By: whistledog on 01/29/20 at 9:59 pm

Did you use to get blisters when you holding the joystick?

All the time.  Moreso with the Atari 7800 joystick because even though it had buttons on both sides, it was super awkward to hold

Written By: Dude111 on 01/29/20 at 11:04 pm

Hey Whistle how are ya buddy???

My fav atari console is the first one .... 2600 . To me the graphics are not as good on 5200 and more so on 7800!! (2600 games to me look the nicest)

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 6:58 am

All the time.  Moreso with the Atari 7800 joystick because even though it had buttons on both sides, it was super awkward to hold

With only one joystick to hold in one hand it definitely gave me blisters.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 6:59 am

Hey Whistle how are ya buddy???

My fav atari console is the first one .... 2600 . To me the graphics are not as good on 5200 and moreso on 7800!! (2600 games to me look the nicest)

What games did you use to play?

Written By: Dude111 on 02/01/20 at 4:03 pm

Ahhhhh too many to list!!

Berzerk
Hero
Pacman
Ms. Pacman
Frogger

I could go on and on!!! (Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Written By: annimal on 02/01/20 at 4:50 pm

defiantly like Pacman and Frogger

Written By: Howard on 02/02/20 at 2:49 pm

Ahhhhh too many to list!!

Berzerk
Hero
Pacman
Ms. Pacman
Frogger

I could go on and on!!! (Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

How about E.T.?

Written By: Elor on 02/04/20 at 9:51 am

How about E.T.?
You can get it very cheaply these days. You just have to dig at a certain land fill. ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/04/20 at 2:44 pm

You can get it very cheaply these days. You just have to dig at a certain land fill. ;D

That E.T. game was such a piss poor game, it was horrible!

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:32 pm

Most people don't believe me when I say I had an Atari 7800, but I did. I don't know WHY or HOW I got it, but I did.

I had one also and I like it would play cartridges from all 3 but really I only like 2600 games...... As I said above,to me the graphics arent as good on the 2 later ones....

Atari 5200 was supposed to be a competitor to Coleco but Ill tell you,COLECO is 1000% better than Atari 5200!!

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/21 at 5:58 pm

That E.T. game was such a piss poor game, it was horrible!

E.T. was great because it did something most Atari games didn't.  The average Atari game only took place on one screen and was all about the high score.  E.T. had multiple screens and an ending.  It was the first game I ever beat

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 6:06 pm

Wow it has an ending?

I didnt realise that buddy!

The only game I have that has an ending is PITFALL II: Lost caverns and its fun seeing how high of a score I SITLL HAVE at the end!!!!

Written By: Howard on 03/07/21 at 7:35 am

I remember playing Pac-Man.

Check for new replies or respond here...