inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you miss the most from the 1980s?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/05/20 at 2:12 pm

1985 - 1986

I miss coming home after school. And my mom making me snacks. Afterward, my mom, brother, sister, and me would gather in our living room and watch music videos on either MTV or VH1. I use to memorize all if the video line ups! Broken Wings by Mr. Mister was always first. Lol. As I watched, I would also play with my favorite toys. I loved my Jem and the Holograms. I also adored my CPK pinups! We did watch cartoons, but we watched music videos more. Fun times!

Subject: Re: What do you miss most from the 1980s?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/05/20 at 8:11 pm

Almost everything. The vehicles. The fashion. The home decor.

The music. The movies. The TV shows.

The railroads and the small towns that existed because of the railroad.

Being taught math before computers and graphing calculators. I felt I learned more.

Kids being able to be kids.

Yes things were more difficult but I felt there was more patience and respect due to a sense of hierarchy in the world. Today’s free information sharing is wonderful in many ways but in some ways it feels like an out of control free for all.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/05/20 at 8:54 pm

Oh my God-YES. The home decor.

I don't know if you remember or if your parents had them in the 80s, it was this furniture that was of a brownish color and was floral. But the flowers weren't colorful they were an earthy color? Browns and nudes. We had them for most of the 80s. Soo ugly, but I never forget that furniture...

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/06/20 at 6:19 am

Oh my God-YES. The home decor.

I don't know if you remember or if your parents had them in the 80s, it was this furniture that was of a brownish color and was floral. But the flowers weren't colorful they were an earthy color? Browns and nudes. We had them for most of the 80s. Soo ugly, but I never forget that furniture...

I think of artifical florals, and earthy was more of a '70s style. Other things I miss (even though I was just a toddler):

*Daytime network game shows (At least there's BUZZR now)
*Soap operas that had real meaning, and the '80s did a good job of freshening the genre from the old stodgy, organ and nuclear family style typical since the dawn of TV.
*The greater appreciation of jazz and classical arts before they became associated with ultra rich people and people who don't mind all the tl:dr material about the content
*The lack of worrying about digital security, from cellphones to online viruses.
*Fanmail magazines and newsletters that really felt special when you received them in the mail as it was the only way to follow a particular show, team, star, or franchise
*Rock being the most popular genre by far musically, since this decade had the happy medium of classics from the 1950s-70s and contemporary stuff being appreciated
*Horror comedies

Written By: Howard on 02/06/20 at 7:06 am

The railroads and the small towns that existed because of the railroad.

Being taught math before computers and graphing calculators. I felt I learned more.

Kids being able to be kids.

Yes things were more difficult but I felt there was more patience and respect due to a sense of hierarchy in the world. Today’s free information sharing is wonderful in many ways but in some ways it feels like an out of control free for all.

I definitely miss the music from the 1980's.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/06/20 at 7:47 am

I think of artifical florals, and earthy was more of a '70s style.

It was just like this one:

https://i.ibb.co/3fbZfD6/grandma-70ssofa-memedcouch.jpg

I guess they kept it since the 70s throughout the 80s and never changed them until the 90s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/06/20 at 12:03 pm

I guess they kept it since the 70s throughout the 80s and never changed them until the 90s.

My uncle had that furniture in the 80s.

Attached is mine, got it just over a year ago.  It was made in 1989, came from a nice smoke free and pet free home.  $100 from Craigslist.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/20 at 1:46 pm

That is a nice couch, how much did that cost back then?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/06/20 at 2:01 pm

My uncle had that furniture in the 80s.

Attached is mine, got it just over a year ago.  It was made in 1989, came from a nice smoke free and pet free home.  $100 from Craigslist.

Those are nice and vintage! I think old furniture have a certain charm to them.

That is a nice couch, how much did that cost back then?

I'll have to ask my parents.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/20 at 1:33 pm

My sister had that exact same couch.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/08/20 at 3:37 pm

Those are nice and vintage! I think old furniture have a certain charm to them.

I'll have to ask my parents.

Did you ask your parents yet?  ???

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/20/20 at 8:16 pm

I miss how simple and old looking everything was in the 1980s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/20/20 at 8:18 pm

I miss how simple and old looking everything was in the 1980s.

I don't get what you mean. Things looked old in the 80s?  ???

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/20/20 at 8:20 pm

I don't get what you mean. Things looked old in the 80s?  ???

Things were still done by hand mainly in the 1980s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/20/20 at 8:25 pm

Things were still done by hand mainly in the 1980s.

No they weren't, for heaven's sake. In the 1780's maybe.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 02/20/20 at 8:33 pm

Did you ask your parents yet?  ???

I did ask, and they don't remember because it was a long time ago that they purchased the furniture. I did however search online and that same furniture was $250 in the 80s. That was pricey back then.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/20/20 at 8:48 pm

One thing I miss from the 1980s was how cheap it was to get used wheels.  I got my 1973 Camaro in '82ish for $250.00.  Now it had numerous mechanical issues and needed major body work - but it was my car!  I used it for a couple "good" years (though not without incident).  I was fortunate then to have a Dad who was an automotive genius.

Back then, certified pre-owned cars weren't a thing.  And leasing was not popular yet.  We had no internet to shop for cars on - we''d find out about used cars from used lots, dealers, newspaper ads, word of mouth, or driving by a car with a "For Sale" sign.  That was how we shopped for used cars in the 1980s.  And when it came to used cars, it was usually "buyer beware".  ;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/20/20 at 10:23 pm

I always expect used cars to have baggage. It’s just what can I accept and how easy to fix myself. To me, dealers are professionals at hiding it so I always buy from private party. Up until the late 2000s I got cars for sometimes under $100 and drove them home. In the late 2000s gas skyrocketed and scrap followed. Cheap wheels were hard to get now. Now scrap is worth next to nothing again but used car prices never came down. Still except for my first purchased car I’ve never paid more than $1500 for a vehicle.  Just harder to find deals and have to jump on them.

But anyway, other things I miss.

Dedicated tv lineups and when tv signed off with the national anthem. I found it exciting to stay up into the wee hours and see what they might show when the listing said to be announced. Like opening a present.

Some of the toys. I collected rubiks puzzles and my favorite was the glass tile puzzles. I learned to solve them quickly and did it for a talent show once. I still have them. I liked the legos better from back then too. Later on they started making all these specialized pieces and to me it kinda took the fun out of it. I still have my legos too.

Cars were going through a big change. Across the board they were going to downsized front wheel drive platforms, computer control, fuel injection, composite headlights. I loved the modular cookie cutter styling which had clean lines.

A lot of technology was in its infancy and the early stuff is just so cool to admire. Early cell phones, cd players, home computers, car navigation systems and voice synthesizers.

Musical instruments too. Synthesizers were taking the big leap from analog to digital. The Jupiter 8 was crisp for analog though. But The Yamaha dx7 in 1983 took 80s music by storm. That and the Roland d50 in 1987 I think was highly responsible for the light atmospheric sounds of the late 80s and early 90s. Then you had keytars and electronic drums. Nowadays you can do pretty much anything you want with software but back then you still had physical dedicated devices and I miss that.

I miss card catalogs at libraries.

Mainframe computers that looked like the old cop shows. I used one at my first engineering job.

Video games that looked like games and not reality. Arcades and roller rinks and other places for kids and teens to hang out. In the 90s they started closing down places for youth and turning them into bars.

Most of all I miss the overall aura of optimism and positivity. Yes there were rough things like sky high interest rates and prevalence of aids and things. But the music, tv, clothing, everything just seemed so much more fun, carefree, and happy.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/20 at 7:26 am

The 2XL And the Atari 2600.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/21/20 at 7:47 am

We had the old card catalogs at our libraries in the 90s. I almost forgot about them!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/21/20 at 9:14 am

What do you miss about card catalogs? They were pretty useless compared to the way libraries operate today. With card catalogs you spent half the day looking for a book, and there was a chance it wasn't even on the shelves because it was already checked out. A whole lot of wasted time. There was no way of knowing. With today's technology you immediately know if the book is available or not, and in what branch. If it's at some other branch, the library will deliver it to the branch of your choice. If it is checked out they will immediately notify you when it is returned. And you can do all this from home and the book will be simply waiting for you when you walk into the library. It's a very efficient system. It's one of the things in society that actually IMPROVED when they updated it, rather than getting worse. Card catalogs may be "nostalgic", but they were not very efficient.

Mind you, I am talking about the physical card catalog and the act of looking up books, I am not talking about the Dewey Decimal System itself as a method of cataloging books. That system is fine and is still in use.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/20 at 2:02 pm

I always expect used cars to have baggage. It’s just what can I accept and how easy to fix myself. To me, dealers are professionals at hiding it so I always buy from private party. Up until the late 2000s I got cars for sometimes under $100 and drove them home. In the late 2000s gas skyrocketed and scrap followed. Cheap wheels were hard to get now. Now scrap is worth next to nothing again but used car prices never came down. Still except for my first purchased car I’ve never paid more than $1500 for a vehicle.  Just harder to find deals and have to jump on them.

But anyway, other things I miss.

Dedicated tv lineups and when tv signed off with the national anthem. I found it exciting to stay up into the wee hours and see what they might show when the listing said to be announced. Like opening a present.

Some of the toys. I collected rubiks puzzles and my favorite was the glass tile puzzles. I learned to solve them quickly and did it for a talent show once. I still have them. I liked the legos better from back then too. Later on they started making all these specialized pieces and to me it kinda took the fun out of it. I still have my legos too.

Cars were going through a big change. Across the board they were going to downsized front wheel drive platforms, computer control, fuel injection, composite headlights. I loved the modular cookie cutter styling which had clean lines.

A lot of technology was in its infancy and the early stuff is just so cool to admire. Early cell phones, cd players, home computers, car navigation systems and voice synthesizers.

Musical instruments too. Synthesizers were taking the big leap from analog to digital. The Jupiter 8 was crisp for analog though. But The Yamaha dx7 in 1983 took 80s music by storm. That and the Roland d50 in 1987 I think was highly responsible for the light atmospheric sounds of the late 80s and early 90s. Then you had keytars and electronic drums. Nowadays you can do pretty much anything you want with software but back then you still had physical dedicated devices and I miss that.

Mainframe computers that looked like the old cop shows. I used one at my first engineering job.

Video games that looked like games and not reality. Arcades and roller rinks and other places for kids and teens to hang out. In the 90s they started closing down places for youth and turning them into bars.

Most of all I miss the overall aura of optimism and positivity. Yes there were rough things like sky high interest rates and prevalence of aids and things. But the music, tv, clothing, everything just seemed so much more fun, carefree, and happy.

I used to collect toys like 2XL and Teddy Ruxpin and The Atari 2600 was my game console.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/21/20 at 4:34 pm

What do you miss about card catalogs? They were pretty useless compared to the way libraries operate today. With card catalogs you spent half the day looking for a book, and there was a chance it wasn't even on the shelves because it was already checked out. A whole lot of wasted time. There was no way of knowing. With today's technology you immediately know if the book is available or not, and in what branch. If it's at some other branch, the library will deliver it to the branch of your choice. If it is checked out they will immediately notify you when it is returned. And you can do all this from home and the book will be simply waiting for you when you walk into the library. It's a very efficient system. It's one of the things in society that actually IMPROVED when they updated it, rather than getting worse. Card catalogs may be "nostalgic", but they were not very efficient.

Mind you, I am talking about the physical card catalog and the act of looking up books, I am not talking about the Dewey Decimal System itself as a method of cataloging books. That system is fine and is still in use.

Many things were not the most efficient but I still miss them. I enjoyed digging through physical media. Just like the computer system it’s only as accurate as those who maintain it. And the card catalog always worked. I lost track of all the times I went to the library and the computers were down. Or the librarian didn’t want to give me access because she was nosy and bored and wanted to be my gateway. Many times I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for until I stumble upon it while looking for something else.

To me there’s also nothing like the feeling of a real book in my hands. Reading on a screen may be more convenient and efficient but it’s not my thing.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/21/20 at 4:45 pm

I used to collect toys like 2XL and Teddy Ruxpin and The Atari 2600 was my game console.

I had a coleco vision with 33 games, steering wheel piece, controller overlays. I miss it and wish my mom hadn’t given it away.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/21/20 at 5:47 pm

To me there’s also nothing like the feeling of a real book in my hands. Reading on a screen may be more convenient and efficient but it’s not my thing.

I love books to. And they all have their own individual charm physically. New books have a certain charm, old worn books have a different charm. One thing I NEVER do is write in books. I just don't like to do that. But so many people do. I buy a lot of used books and it bugs me if they are all written in, underlined, etc.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 1:17 pm

I didn't like Teddy Ruxpin when I was a kid. I was more into Care Bears and Wuzzles.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/20 at 3:41 pm

I had a coleco vision with 33 games, steering wheel piece, controller overlays. I miss it and wish my mom hadn’t given it away.

Can you still purchase one, maybe used perhaps at a garage sale?  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/22/20 at 3:43 pm

I didn't like Teddy Ruxpin when I was a kid. I was more into Care Bears and Wuzzles.

Teddy Ruxpin always used to creep people out sometimes.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 4:46 pm

Teddy Ruxpin always used to creep people out sometimes.

Well, it didn't exactly creep me out...maybe just a little. It was just boring to me even though it was the latest interactive toy for kids in the 80s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/22/20 at 4:48 pm

Can you still purchase one, maybe used perhaps at a garage sale?  ???

Maybe but I only knew of 2 other people that had one in the day. And I’ve never seen one for sale anywhere. But if I stumbled across one I’d consider it.  Mine had it all. The steering wheel and gas pedal to play turbo and destructor. And the controller overlays to play mouse trap.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/22/20 at 4:52 pm

Well, it didn't exactly creep me out...maybe just a little. It was just boring to me even though it was the latest interactive toy for kids in the 80s.

I just remember parents getting into fights trying to score one for their kids for Christmas.

My sister had a petster. An interactive cat on powered wheels. It had switches and led’s on its collar.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 5:15 pm

I just remember parents getting into fights trying to score one for their kids for Christmas.

Yes, what was the hype all about? It was ugly, and I use to think it was boring.  ;D

Subject: Re: What do you miss the most from the 1980s?

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/22/20 at 5:31 pm

^ Not sure. But I never really got into that kinda thing. Or action figures. I liked my LEGO’s and trains and puzzles and stuff like that.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/22/20 at 5:32 pm

The cartoons, sitcoms, simplicity of the time period, the computers, the ads, the toys, and the movies.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 5:39 pm

^ Not sure. But I never really got into that kinda thing. Or action figures. I liked my LEGO’s and trains and puzzles and stuff like that.

I LOVED Lego's. Did you like any of the board games in the 80s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/20 at 5:40 pm

Yes, what was the hype all about? It was ugly, and I use to think it was boring.  ;D

That hype is the oldest trick in the book. "Supply and demand" is the first thing they teach in Economics 101. I don't recall this Teddy Ruxpin toy but the same stunt was pulled with Cabbage Patch Dolls in the early 80s. A false demand was created and gullible people were fighting over these dumb  things in stores. Another bizarre part of the Cabbage Patch Doll story is the urban legend of the "Cabbage Patch Doll Death Certificate". Part of the Cabbage Patch Doll hype was that one was said to "adopt" them rather than "purchase" them, and an "adoption certificate" was included with each one (actually a warranty, I believe) that one filled out and mailed to the company (Coleco), and this gave rise to the morbid urban legend that people who sent defective Cabbage Patch Dolls back to Coleco for a refund or replacement actually received a "death certificate" for the doll instead. It wasn't true of course, but it didn't stop the legend from circulating anyway. As they say, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Cabbage Patch Doll Death Certificate Urban Legend:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cabbage-patch-death-certificates/

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/22/20 at 7:38 pm

I LOVED Lego's. Did you like any of the board games in the 80s?

I liked the game Trouble because the dice bubble was so physically and visually stimulating. As was the fit of the game pieces in the holes in the board. I think there were a couple other games built from the same board just with different markings.

I liked mouse trap. I still have it and my daughter loved playing it with me.

Was always big on scrabble. I can hold my own but I prefer to bend the rules, not keep score, and have fun. I know that originated before the 80s though.

I liked Yahtzee and Mille bornes which I still have. Then this one where you shake these little molded pigs in a cup (pig sty) and score by how they land.  Don’t remember the name of it.

Did you have a favorite line of legos? My favorite were the technic / expert builder. But I loved looking at the legoland town sets in my catalogs and I did collect some. I remember I got my first set when I was 6 because the box said 7 and up.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/22/20 at 9:30 pm

I liked the game Trouble because the dice bubble was so physically and visually stimulating. As was the fit of the game pieces in the holes in the board. I think there were a couple other games built from the same board just with different markings.

I liked mouse trap. I still have it and my daughter loved playing it with me.

Was always big on scrabble. I can hold my own but I prefer to bend the rules, not keep score, and have fun. I know that originated before the 80s though.

I liked Yahtzee and Mille bornes which I still have. Then this one where you shake these little molded pigs in a cup (pig sty) and score by how they land.  Don’t remember the name of it.

Did you have a favorite line of legos? My favorite were the technic / expert builder. But I loved looking at the legoland town sets in my catalogs and I did collect some. I remember I got my first set when I was 6 because the box said 7 and up.

I remember getting a set of multi colored LEGO's at McDonald's when I was 5. They came inside the happy meal. It was exciting! They didn't have a particular line just a bunch of colored blocks that I put together to make objects. But soo fun!

Written By: nally on 02/22/20 at 9:36 pm

I remember getting a set of multi colored LEGO's at McDonald's when I was 5. They came inside the happy meal. It was exciting! They didn't have a particular line just a bunch of colored blocks that I put together to make objects. But soo fun!

I had lotsa fun putting things together with LEGOS when I was a kid too!

And when I was younger than that, I had Duplo's, which are like Legos, but larger (and easy for little ones to play with). (In fact, Duplo are also made by the Lego company but are intended for little kids, through preschool age, which is why the pieces are larger - and hence less likely to be swallowed by younger children).

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/22/20 at 10:44 pm

LEGO made a big comeback in the 80s. Zack! Zack! He’s Zack the LEGO Maniac!

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 7:09 am

Did you use to own a 2XL?

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 7:11 am

https://isteam.wsimg.com/ip/fe0cd27f-8354-4045-b414-3998f7f2ee8d/ols/29_original/:/rs=w:600,h:600

He's not boring.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 7:15 am

Roller Skating Rinks.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/20 at 7:30 am

https://isteam.wsimg.com/ip/fe0cd27f-8354-4045-b414-3998f7f2ee8d/ols/29_original/:/rs=w:600,h:600

He's not boring.

...yes he was. Lol!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 10:19 am

He's not boring.

Teddy Ruxpin was at its best when you popped in heavy metal or political rap tapes. He was scary when the batteries were dying.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 2:03 pm

Teddy Ruxpin was at its best when you popped in heavy metal or political rap tapes. He was scary when the batteries were dying.

That was the fun thing about Teddy Ruxpin, In the back, you can insert almost any cassette tape and he can play anything.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/23/20 at 5:55 pm

Magazines from when magazines were magazines! Clothing articles from the 80s—pin stripes, polka dots, and regular stripes. Those were the days.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/20 at 1:55 pm

Magazines from when magazines were magazines! Clothing articles from the 80s—pin stripes, polka dots, and regular stripes. Those were the days.

What magazines did you use to collect?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/24/20 at 8:49 pm

Starlog magazine, Comics Revue magazine, Comics Scene, Rolling Stone, MAD Magazine, and Cracked Magazine.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/20 at 10:14 pm

Car and driver
Popular science / mechanics
National Geographic (loved the car ads in them too)
And as my parents grocery shopped I’d head straight to the magazine section and browse until they were done.

How about books? Early 80s I collected what I believe was the entire set of sweet pickles. The entire A to Z set plus I believe 3 compilation books.  Absolutely Loved those. My mom gave them away but if she hadn’t I know my daughter would have loved them.  And while I didn’t own them I tried to read the entire Gertrude chandler warner set starting with the boxcar children. As I got older my mind stopped understanding fiction.

I had a handful of books on skateboarding and astronomy. Yep I still have those in a box in the basement or garage. I rode a skateboard for many years and tried forever but could never get it off the ground. And I had a small telescope which I made the best of.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 7:08 am

Starlog magazine, Comics Revue magazine, Comics Scene, Rolling Stone, MAD Magazine, and Cracked Magazine.

I used to collect kids magazines such as Penny Power during the early to mid 1980's, they were sort of a kid's version of Consumer Reports for adults.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-27CkWzAWl5E/VLwh1v36w-I/AAAAAAAAHWk/LLcsQSTDfTg/s1600/00cover.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 7:12 am

Car and driver
Popular science / mechanics
National Geographic (loved the car ads in them too)
And as my parents grocery shopped I’d head straight to the magazine section and browse until they were done.

How about books? Early 80s I collected what I believe was the entire set of sweet pickles. The entire A to Z set plus I believe 3 compilation books.  Absolutely Loved those. My mom gave them away but if she hadn’t I know my daughter would have loved them.  And while I didn’t own them I tried to read the entire Gertrude chandler warner set starting with the boxcar children. As I got older my mind stopped understanding fiction.

I had a handful of books on skateboarding and astronomy. Yep I still have those in a box in the basement or garage. I rode a skateboard for many years and tried forever but could never get it off the ground. And I had a small telescope which I made the best of.

I still have in my closet probably all dusty by now is a Michael Jackson magazine when he was peaking during the Thriller era in 1984.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 12:37 pm

I used to collect kids magazines such as Penny Power during the early to mid 1980's, they were sort of a kid's version of Consumer Reports for adults.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-27CkWzAWl5E/VLwh1v36w-I/AAAAAAAAHWk/LLcsQSTDfTg/s1600/00cover.jpg

Then, Penny Power became Zillions magazine in the 1990s. Both were great magazines for children to learn from.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/20 at 1:28 pm

I collected CPKs Pinups in the 80s. Loved them!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/20 at 1:45 pm

My narrower waist line...

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 2:12 pm

I’ve never seen anyone mention those on any online forum, even on Ghost of the Doll. I miss when Coleco made CPK. The Hasbro designs were interesting at first, but became bland as the 90s went on. The Hasbro dolls lacked the magic of the Coleco dolls, wouldn’t you say?

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 2:21 pm

Then, Penny Power became Zillions magazine in the 1990s. Both were great magazines for children to learn from.

I believe I still have my Penny Power collection that Me And My Brother used to collect during the early 80's, in my closet they're probably full of dust by now.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 2:25 pm

Did you use to have The Cabbage Patch Kid itself, there was stories that the CPK became dangerous, maybe it was in the news years ago?

Written By: Howard on 02/25/20 at 2:28 pm

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/33/e9/3133e964bfa3801bc1f49e41ac715560.jpg

Mego's Clown Around from 1981.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 3:17 pm

The clown in the blue paint looks like Papa Smurf masquerading as a clown. 

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/20 at 3:21 pm

Aw. Those are so ugly.

At first I thought they were smurfs lol!

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 4:45 pm

Aw. Those are so ugly.

PVCs were a big deal to us last in the 1980s.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/20 at 4:56 pm

PVCs were a big deal to us last in the 1980s.

I know. I was just being silly lol.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/25/20 at 8:31 pm

I know. I was just being silly lol.

Did you collect any PVCs in the 80s?

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/20 at 10:26 pm

I never did. I had one of Brother bear from the Berenstain Bears. And I remember it came inside my happymeal at McDonald's.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/20 at 4:37 am

The clown in the blue paint looks like Papa Smurf masquerading as a clown.

My Father worked for Mego corporation, he was more like a CEO of the company from what he has told from stories in the past and from what I remember he used to come home with a 2XL and Clown Around, small miniature clown figurines.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/20 at 4:39 am

Aw. Those are so ugly.

I know, they are quite weird looking.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/20 at 4:40 am

What are PVC's?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/20 at 4:46 am

What are PVC's?  ???
Something to do with plastic?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/26/20 at 1:54 pm

I never did. I had one of Brother bear from the Berenstain Bears. And I remember it came inside my happymeal at McDonald's.

That’s right. There was the first and best Berenstain Bears Happy Meal promotion from 1986, then the softcover books in 1990, and then Happy Birthday Happy Meal toy with Brother and Sister Bear on it. Were there any other fast food restaurants that carried Berenstain Bears?

I loved the flocked fur on the Berenstain Bear Happy Meal PVCs.

What are PVC's?  ???

Figurines made from polyvinyl chloride and a polymer of vinyl chloride.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/20 at 7:08 am

That’s right. There was the first and best Berenstain Bears Happy Meal promotion from 1986, then the softcover books in 1990, and then Happy Birthday Happy Meal toy with Brother and Sister Bear on it. Were there any other fast food restaurants that carried Berenstain Bears?

I loved the flocked fur on the Berenstain Bear Happy Meal PVCs.

Figurines made from polyvinyl chloride and a polymer of vinyl chloride.

I think most of them had a smell I can't describe.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 7:26 pm

I think most of them had a smell I can't describe.

There hasn’t been a Happy Meal toy like the Berenstain Bears from ‘86 since then. The 80s had the most interesting Happy Meal toys. Burgers that transform into robots. Submarine Happy Meal containers. Muppet babies toys that were detachable from the vehicles they came with. Heck, Fraggle Rock toys! The 90s had Super Mario Brothers 3 toys though.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/27/20 at 10:09 pm

I miss some things on PBS. Square One TV. Mathnet was my favorite. And some of the songs they did.

And Wonderworks. 2 episodes in particular. How to be a perfect person in 3 days, and Frog. Luckily I happened to stumble across both of these on VHS over the years so I can watch them anytime I want.

Not on PBS but I also miss after school specials.

I really wish they would put Our House on DVD. Well they kinda do but only 3 episodes.  Last time I saw it they were showing reruns on the Insp channel.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/27/20 at 10:23 pm

I miss some things on PBS. Square One TV. Mathnet was my favorite. And some of the songs they did.

And Wonderworks. 2 episodes in particular. How to be a perfect person in 3 days, and Frog. Luckily I happened to stumble across both of these on VHS over the years so I can watch them anytime I want.

I really wish they would put Our House on DVD. Well they kinda do but only 3 episodes.  Last time I saw it they were showing reruns on the Insp channel.

Ah yes, Mathman and Mr. Glitch. I used to have nightmares about being Mathman and existing in that maze. The late 80s and early 90s…

Written By: Howard on 02/28/20 at 7:10 am

What I miss is that Bill Cosby segment called "Picture Pages", I think it was from 1984.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7eIq8R3Pjeg/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 8:09 am

What I miss is that Bill Cosby segment called "Picture Pages", I think it was from 1981.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7eIq8R3Pjeg/hqdefault.jpg

I liked the animation used for Picture Pages.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/20 at 2:25 pm

I liked the animation used for Picture Pages.

I also miss his Pudding Pops commercials.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 3:32 pm

I also miss his Pudding Pops commercials.

I miss the taste of Pudding Pops. Chocolate and Vanilla swirl! Now we’re talking!

Written By: violet_shy on 02/29/20 at 9:13 pm

I miss the taste of Pudding Pops. Chocolate and Vanilla swirl! Now we’re talking!

Hahaha. Made me laugh! ;D

Written By: annimal on 02/29/20 at 9:32 pm

is it time to get my crayons and my pencils again?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 9:38 pm

Hahaha. Made me laugh! ;D

There was the fine line between Chocolate and vanilla on the Pudding Pops also. Chocolatey Vanilla, if such a word existed. Unfortunately, JELL-O Pudding and Gelatin Pops were discontinued in 1992.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/29/20 at 11:41 pm

There was the fine line between Chocolate and vanilla on the Pudding Pops also. Chocolatey Vanilla, if such a word existed. Unfortunately, JELL-O Pudding and Gelatin Pops were discontinued in 1992.

Yup. I remember that.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/20 at 6:58 am

I miss good old fashioned family sitcoms.

Written By: nally on 03/03/20 at 5:56 pm

I can completely relate.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 6:55 pm

I can completely relate.

LEGO was big in the mid to late 80s, especially after the first batch of McDonalds Happy Meal toys hit in ‘84.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/20 at 4:44 am

Films that had to deal with teenage guys that had a crush on the hot girl.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/04/20 at 12:28 pm

Films that had to deal with teenage guys that had a crush on the hot girl.

Teen transformation films got tiring after awhile.

Subject: What do you miss the most from the 1980s?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/04/20 at 4:56 pm

Good arcade games,what was left of GOOD food,etc......

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/04/20 at 5:32 pm

I miss hearing 50s and 60s music on the radio.

Written By: nally on 03/04/20 at 7:33 pm

True!

Even into the 2000s I still heard some of it. Then many "oldies" stations turned into "classic hits" stations.

In fact, just three years ago a new "oldies" station was launched in the L.A. area (branded as "L.A. Oldies - KSurf"), but recently they started playing stuff from the seventies...and eighties -- which a lot of people, including me, are not happy with. (This I know from seeing criticism posted by users on the station's Facebook page.)

Written By: violet_shy on 03/04/20 at 7:50 pm

True!

Even into the 2000s I still heard some of it. Then many "oldies" stations turned into "classic hits" stations.

In fact, just three years ago a new "oldies" station was launched in the L.A. area (branded as "L.A. Oldies - KSurf"), but recently they started playing stuff from the seventies...and eighties -- which a lot of people, including me, are not happy with. (This I know from seeing criticism posted by users on the station's Facebook page.)

We use to have an oldies radio station that played music from the 50s and 60s mostly. Then after a certain period of time they stopped calling it the oldies station. Now they play music from the 80s and 90s. More of a classic music station now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/04/20 at 8:12 pm

True!

I learned decades ago to not rely on radio for what I wanted to hear. Nor was I willing to let radio dictate my taste.

Nor can one rely on streaming which is unstable and could remove what you want to hear (or just plain doesn't have what you want to hear) at a moment's notice. I advocate a return to the concept of physical ownership of music. Be it albums, CDs, even cassettes or some other technology. Anything but the dreaded 8-track. Physical ownership is the only sure fire, tried and true way to hear WHAT you want WHEN you want.

Written By: annimal on 03/04/20 at 9:51 pm

I remember when I use to record the songs I wanted to hear on a tape so I don't have to listen to what I don't want to any more on the radio stations

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/04/20 at 9:59 pm

I learned decades ago to not rely on radio for what I wanted to hear. Nor was I willing to let radio dictate my taste.

Nor can one rely on streaming which is unstable and could remove what you want to hear (or just plain doesn't have what you want to hear) at a moment's notice. I advocate a return to the concept of physical ownership of music. Be it albums, CDs, even cassettes or some other technology. Anything but the dreaded 8-track. Physical ownership is the only sure fire, tried and true way to hear WHAT you want WHEN you want.

Totally agree! The reason I keep my hundreds of tapes and cds and get more if I stumble across what I like. I’ve said it before but it’s a great time to collect physical music. Cds and tapes can be had for next to nothing in resale shops. If I had to pay the prices of when it was popular I’d probably have a year’s wages tied up into my music. The time to get them is now because as demand goes down it’s eventually not going to be worth the time or floor space for shops to keep them anymore. That and once someone dumps their collection it’s gone, sooner or later the source is going to dry up.

Btw for a long time we never had a local station that played 80s. Sometimes when I was in college I could pull a downstate station if the weather was right. And to this day the classic rock station plays the same 70s album rock they always did. But we do have some stations now. One plays a lot of 80s rock. And the lite station plays junk all day and calls themselves the workday station... however for the weekend they turn it around and call it mixtape weekend and play awesome 80s stuff and even play a full Casey’s top 40 from the archives every Saturday night.

I recorded songs too. I had a Sony recording Walkman. Got it for my birthday in 1989 because I wanted one so bad I drew a detailed picture of it and my folks must have found it. I actually still have the Walkman.

Written By: nally on 03/04/20 at 10:29 pm

Physical ownership is the only sure fire, tried and true way to hear WHAT you want WHEN you want.

I like the idea of hearing WHAT I want WHEN i want. I often go to Youtube in such cases.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/04/20 at 10:30 pm

...I advocate a return to the concept of physical ownership of music...

Indeed - I'm not opposed to listening to the radio or satellite or streaming or whatever, but can't beat the ability to play that song in your head right now by grabbing it from your collection and popping it on.

...The reason I keep my hundreds of tapes and cds and get more if I stumble across what I like...

Yes, and I have all my records and CDs that I collected over the years (that's hundreds) accessible, close enough to my music source.  I seldom used pre-recorded cassettes, but...

I remember when I use to record the songs I wanted to hear on a tape so I don't have to listen to what I don't want to any more on the radio stations

I was the queen of the "mix tape" back in the day - I took much delight in recording the perfect concept on a cassette tape (or 8-track when I was able and had an 8-track car).  Sometimes I'd organize a cassette by a single album or two, sometimes feature a specific artist, sometimes a certain genre, sometimes a specific time period or year, sometimes I'd blend the concepts (like a specific artist over a limited time period).  Different concepts, same result - I had an awesome new home-rolled cassette to enjoy!

I like the idea of hearing WHAT I want WHEN i want. I often go to Youtube in such cases.

Yes - thank goodness for YouTube!    :)

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:15 am

Teen transformation films got tiring after awhile.

One Of The Boys
Porky's
Weird Science

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:16 am

When WCBS-FM still played oldies and Doo-Wop music.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:18 am

Totally agree! The reason I keep my hundreds of tapes and cds and get more if I stumble across what I like. I’ve said it before but it’s a great time to collect physical music. Cds and tapes can be had for next to nothing in resale shops. If I had to pay the prices of when it was popular I’d probably have a year’s wages tied up into my music. The time to get them is now because as demand goes down it’s eventually not going to be worth the time or floor space for shops to keep them anymore. That and once someone dumps their collection it’s gone, sooner or later the source is going to dry up.

Btw for a long time we never had a local station that played 80s. Sometimes when I was in college I could pull a downstate station if the weather was right. And to this day the classic rock station plays the same 70s album rock they always did. But we do have some stations now. One plays a lot of 80s rock. And the lite station plays junk all day and calls themselves the workday station... however for the weekend they turn it around and call it mixtape weekend and play awesome 80s stuff and even play a full Casey’s top 40 from the archives every Saturday night.

I recorded songs too. I had a Sony recording Walkman. Got it for my birthday in 1989 because I wanted one so bad I drew a detailed picture of it and my folks must have found it. I actually still have the Walkman.

Does it work?

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 7:29 am

The board games

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/20 at 7:46 am

The board games
True, the board games then were the thing for family gatherings, but current board games are usually electronic base, and can take all night to read the instructions of play.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/05/20 at 11:19 am

Does it work?

I’m sure it still does but the headphone jack went iffy. I’ll have to look around a bit. There’s a few boxes it could be in from when I moved into this house. Now that reminds me I had another one to replace it, from radio shack that recorded and had a 3 band eq. I used that one for many years to play tapes with the aux in cord.

Written By: nally on 03/05/20 at 11:20 am

When WCBS-FM still played oldies and Doo-Wop music.

KRTH (a station in Los Angeles area) did that too, until the 2000s when they started adding 70s stuff to their playlist... and then gradually added 80s... and 90s! Then around mid-2000s they dropped pre-British Invasion Era songs, and by 2010 they dropped all pre-1970 music. Therefore, now it is a classic hits station. (Occasionally they will now throw in songs from the 2000s decade, which bothers some listeners.)

Even before the 1990s there were additional stations that played "oldies" music, but they have since flipped to classic rock, classic hits, or a variety format. In my area there is a KCBS-FM station that has been "JackFM" for the past 15 years, but before the flip to Jack it was a classic rock station; before then it played oldies (nothing past 1969).

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 2:17 pm

True, the board games then were the thing for family gatherings, but current board games are usually electronic base, and can take all night to read the instructions of play.

Board games such as Life, Monopoly and Sorry.

Written By: Howard on 03/05/20 at 2:19 pm

portable walkmans.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/05/20 at 3:50 pm

I miss the 60s revamp that happened in the 80s.

Written By: nally on 03/11/20 at 12:05 am

Roller Skating Rinks.

Ironically, I visited one such facility for the first time in 1989, not knowing very well how to rollerskate. But I learned quickly, and enjoyed it that I kept coming back to this place...into the early 90's (and only visited it twice after '91).

Written By: Howard on 03/11/20 at 5:20 am

Ironically, I visited one such facility for the first time in 1989, not knowing very well how to rollerskate. But I learned quickly, and enjoyed it that I kept coming back to this place...into the early 90's (and only visited it twice after '91).

I learned how to rollerskate during The early to late 1980's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/20 at 5:28 am

Board games such as Life, Monopoly and Sorry.
These games are still available in the shops, but other board games, for me, have taken over.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/20 at 5:31 am

Roller Skating Rinks.
My old skating rink in my old town has now been demolished, a sign of the times.

Written By: annimal on 03/11/20 at 11:07 am

I use to go to Roller King sometimes.  I had my own skates and knew how to roller skate

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/11/20 at 11:30 am

Skate world turned into a bar in the late 90s or so. The other ones here closed up similarly. They tried to reopen one near my house around 2010 but it didn’t last long.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/20 at 3:56 pm

Roller Skating Rinks.
Another thing I missed from the 1980s, it is the stage musical "Starlight Express" with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and lyrics by Richard Stilgoe, and was famously the actors perform the entire show on roller skates.

Written By: nally on 03/11/20 at 8:34 pm

I learned how to rollerskate during The early to late 1980's.

I, on the other hand, was a little boy in the "early" 1980s.

My old skating rink in my old town has now been demolished, a sign of the times.

There might be one close by where I now live; however, the only one I ever went to was in the San Fernando Valley, and it is still standing today.

However, there were many bowling alleys in said area during the 1980s, when I was a kid. While some of them are still standing, others have either been torn down, or converted to some other kind of establishment.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/20 at 4:42 am

So what took over?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/20 at 4:44 am

So what took over?
Completely demolished, with nothing standing in it's place.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/12/20 at 11:26 am

So what took over?

One near me became a ballroom dance hall for awhile. Drew a ton of business but still didn’t last. Empty now. The other one turned into a warehouse for American spoon foods.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 7:37 am

One near me became a ballroom dance hall for awhile. Drew a ton of business but still didn’t last. Empty now. The other one turned into a warehouse for American spoon foods.

I don't think roller skating rinks exist in New York anymore.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/13/20 at 8:07 am

I don't think roller skating rinks exist in New York anymore.

Most roller skating rinks closed in the mid or late 2000s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/20 at 8:28 am

I think that there is only one public ice skating rink in central London. There is another one of competitive size that holds disco sessions every Saturday and birthday parties can be booked for the morning and afternoon session on weekends.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/13/20 at 11:29 am

I think that there is only one public ice skating rink in central London. There is another one of competitive size that holds disco sessions every Saturday and birthday parties can be booked for the morning and afternoon session on weekends.

Ice skating rinks is another story. There are at least 4 within 15 miles from my house. 2 of which were new in the next 5-10 years.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/20 at 1:39 pm

How would kids in 2020 feel about roller skating today in this day and age?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/13/20 at 3:01 pm

How would kids in 2020 feel about roller skating today in this day and age?

Kids today with their short attention spans wouldn’t care for roller skating rinks. Everything nowadays is about internet on the smartphones.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/20 at 3:08 pm

Is ten pin bowling still as popular today?

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/13/20 at 5:16 pm

Is ten pin bowling still as popular today?

All our bowling alleys are doing well. Actually a liquor license is like a gold ticket to prosperity around here. But even still I see a lot of young people on the lanes when I go.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/20 at 4:04 pm

Kids today with their short attention spans wouldn’t care for roller skating rinks. Everything nowadays is about internet on the smartphones.

I know, kids today are phone zombies.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/14/20 at 4:05 pm

All our bowling alleys are doing well. Actually a liquor license is like a gold ticket to prosperity around here. But even still I see a lot of young people on the lanes when I go.

I thought they wanted to shut down bowling alleys? ???

Subject: What do you miss most from the 1980s?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:27 pm

I agree and hear ya!!!!!! -- Yes everything was beautiful then,,,,, The 80s is when stuff started falling apart :(

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/06/21 at 9:55 pm

I thought they wanted to shut down willing alleys? ???

Shortly after that post they did shut down non essential businesses including bowling alleys. But they are open now.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/21 at 7:24 am

I miss family sitcoms.

Check for new replies or respond here...