inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite 80s Toys

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 6:40 pm

As we all know, the 1980s were explosive for toys. The early to mid 1980s were a decent follow-up to the 70s for dolls and action figures and the late 80s and early 90s were when it all came crumbling down. This thread will be about the best toys of the 1980s.

Here’s my list:

- LJN WWF Wrestling Superstars Thumb Wrestlers - Brilliant idea and very collectible to this day.

- LJN Wrestling Superstars Stretch Wrestlers - Wrestling plus Stretch Armstrong? What’s not to love.

- Matchbox Voltron - When robot toys were still made of die-cast like all robot toys should be.

- Hasbro G1 Transformers - So much in terms of character selection (ignoring the Pretenders and Micromasters) that you couldn’t help but love this toy line.

- Hasbro G.I. Joe A Real American Hero - Same as above.

- Mattel Masters of the Universe - I loved how the figure mold was the same for practically every action figure. Brilliant!

- Playmates Toys Soft-head Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures - The first wave of TMNT were like Masters of the Universe versions of the popular TMNT characters from the cartoon. April had a hard-head like Teela and Evil Lynn.

- Smurfs PVCs - I loved that you could make like an ant farm with your Smurf village and Smurf PVCs.

- Matchbox Pee Wee’s Playhouse - Where do I start? The life-size Pee Wee’s Scooter or Life-Size Chairy? There was so much to take into account with this toy line. Sadly, a Penny figurine was not produced.

What toys from the 80s do you love?

Subject: Re: Favorite 80s Toys

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 6:45 pm

Well...in 1989 I started collecting toys from the Mcdonalds Happy Meals. One or two of 'em that I acquired that year, I still have (packed away in a storage box).

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 6:56 pm

Well...in 1989 I started collecting toys from the Mcdonalds Happy Meals. One or two of 'em that I acquired that year, I still have (packed away in a storage box).

Which ones were they?

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 7:00 pm

Which ones were they?

In May of '89 I got one of the "Food Changeables" toys.

They can be seen here: FnDQRaQJo9k

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 7:03 pm

In May of '89 I got one of the "Food Changeables" toys.

They can be seen here:

What do you love about the Food Changeables?

For me, the Food Changeables were neat, but unbelievable for robot toys. How does a Big Mac become a robot?! How? How? How?

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 7:09 pm

What do you love about the Food Changeables?

I kinda thought it was a neat concept. :D

For me, the Food Changeables were neat, but unbelievable for robot toys. How does a Big Mac become a robot?! How? How? How?

You had them too?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 7:36 pm

I kinda thought it was a neat concept. :D

You had them too?

I played with the McChangeables and McDinos. Both were appropriate for the time periods they came out in. The McChangeables and McDinos always had loose joints after you played with them for about four months.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 9:14 pm

Kenner Star Wars & Power of the Force - These looked smaller than 3 and 3/4 inches, but I loved all of it from the Death Star Space Station to the Ewok Village. Ate it up quicker than Pac-Man had a pellet.

Written By: annimal on 02/28/20 at 10:08 pm

as far as MC Donald's, I remember this mushroom that could flip that I use to have

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/28/20 at 10:21 pm

as far as MC Donald's, I remember this mushroom that could flip that I use to have

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/792317289900124312/-1414946161908431038_thumbnail.jpg

Was the toy in the center the one you were talking about? It’s a 90s toy.

Written By: robby76 on 02/28/20 at 11:05 pm

Damn I was lucky enough to have a lot of toylines. Off the top of my head...

GI Joe
Star Wars
Thundercats
Voltron
Dungeons & Dragons
MASK
LJN Wrestlers
He-Man
Smurfs
Rambo
A-Team
Madballs
Ghostbusters
Terrahawks
Zoids
Transformers
Lego / Playmobil

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 11:38 pm

https://d9nvuahg4xykp.cloudfront.net/792317289900124312/-1414946161908431038_thumbnail.jpg

Was the toy in the center the one you were talking about? It’s a 90s toy.

That one was a Goomba. (I believe he had a suction cup on the bottom of his chin; you push his head down forward (so that the suction cup touches the base, I guess that's his feet) and he's supposed to flip backwards.) I had one too. Yeah, it was from '90.

Written By: nally on 02/28/20 at 11:41 pm

Oh, I got my first Legos sets circa 1984/85. They were just the basic bricks. In 1987 I received the King's Castle set (I always loved building that) as a birthday gift; and in 1989 I received the Forestmen's Hideout (which I believe was released a year earlier) for Christmas. Ah, memories. :)

Written By: robby76 on 02/29/20 at 12:26 am

Oh, I got my first Legos sets circa 1984/85. They were just the basic bricks. In 1987 I received the King's Castle set (I always loved building that) as a birthday gift; and in 1989 I received the Forestmen's Hideout (which I believe was released a year earlier) for Christmas. Ah, memories. :)

I had this set in '89. Funny thing is I was 13 yrs old lol.

https://www.brickeconomy.com/resources/images/sets/lego-6066-1_large.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/29/20 at 4:39 am

I used to own a 2XL Robot, if you don't know, this is what it looked like:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5SYAAMXQ1ZhTi6ky/s-l300.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 9:42 am

Damn I was lucky enough to have a lot of toylines. Off the top of my head...

GI Joe
Star Wars
Thundercats
Voltron
Dungeons & Dragons
MASK
LJN Wrestlers
He-Man
Smurfs
Rambo
A-Team
Madballs
Ghostbusters
Terrahawks
Zoids
Transformers
Lego / Playmobil

How did you find the Rambo toy line to be? Was it too much like the Kenner Robocop and the Ultra Police toy line or was it more along the lines of the Karate Kid toy line from 1986 for you?

Written By: robby76 on 02/29/20 at 10:03 am

How did you find the Rambo toy line to be? Was it too much like the Kenner Robocop and the Ultra Police toy line or was it more along the lines of the Karate Kid toy line from 1986 for you?

I actually only had Rambo - no other figures. I don't remember playing with him that much, but I did watch the accompanying cartoon. Looking back he was kinda basic looking.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ghddwhbLSFs/V7ybVcYYT9I/AAAAAAAAGeY/9TR6Iska8_AWTRNM-ZTdlJQypyjx_OfwACLcB/s320/rambotoy.jpg

For Voltron, I only had the black body and two feet. So my Voltron was always armless.  ;D

Written By: violet_shy on 02/29/20 at 10:04 am

Fashion Star Fillies
Moon Dreamers
Jem and The Holograms
Strawberry Shortcake(they were scented, mmm)
Wuzzles, Butterbear
Care Bears
Barbie
Hug a Bunch
She Ra
My little Ponies
CPK Pinups
Rainbow Brite
Little Miss Make up
Sweet Secrets

Written By: robby76 on 02/29/20 at 10:13 am

Wuzzles
Care Bears
Barbie
My little Ponies

One of my sisters had a lot of these. They were kinda cool too.

Written By: nally on 02/29/20 at 10:40 am

I had this set in '89. Funny thing is I was 13 yrs old lol.

https://www.brickeconomy.com/resources/images/sets/lego-6066-1_large.jpg

O0

When I was that age (in '93) I couldn't get myself to stop playing with Legos; I enjoyed the sets so much, but I did eventually put them away in their storage boxes, which I packed away safely.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 02/29/20 at 11:20 am

I actually only had Rambo - no other figures. I don't remember playing with him that much, but I did watch the accompanying cartoon. Looking back he was kinda basic looking.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ghddwhbLSFs/V7ybVcYYT9I/AAAAAAAAGeY/9TR6Iska8_AWTRNM-ZTdlJQypyjx_OfwACLcB/s320/rambotoy.jpg

For Voltron, I only had the black body and two feet. So my Voltron was always armless.  ;D

All 80s and 90s movie toy lines suffered from having too many unnecessary characters. Karate Kid was the best action movie toy line out of all of them, but Beetlejuice was in close second.

Written By: MSP10julia on 03/03/20 at 6:09 pm

Cabbage Patch Kids all the way

http://nameberry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cabbagepatch-618x412.jpg

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 6:53 pm

Cabbage Patch Kids all the way

http://nameberry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/cabbagepatch-618x412.jpg

Coleco, Hasbro, or both?

Check for new replies or respond here...