inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1986 vs 1989

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 8:39 pm

Which year would you prefer to live in again? 1986 or 1989?

The Rundown

Shows: Miami Vice, Growing Pains, Small Wonder, ALF, Muppet Babies, M.A.S.K., Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, Double Dare, Wheel of Fortune, Pee See’s Playhouse

Big Sports Teams: The METS, Oakland A’s, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Bears, Miami Hurricanes

Movies: Top Gun, The Karate Kid Part 2, The Fly, Little Shop of Horrors, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Pretty in Pink, An American Tail, Transformers the Movie, She’s Gotta Have It, Lucas

Music: Belinda Carlisle, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine, Anita Baker, Madonna, Bon Jovi, The Bangles, Huey Lewis and the News, Levert

Toys: Teddy Ruxpin, Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, My Pet Monster, Madballs, G.I. Joe A Real American Hero, Thundercats, Rainbow Brite dolls, Laser Tag, Pogo Bal

Clothes: Acid Wash, Swatch watches, T&C Surf Designs, Adidas, Pin Striped Button Down Shirts, Mickey Mouse Shirts, Pastel colors, Miami Vice look, Stripes

Shows: Married with Children, A Different World, Full House, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Trek The Next Generation, Ducktales, Win,Lose or Draw, Doogie Howser MD, 21 Jump Street

Big Sports Teams: The NY Yankees, The Knicks, The METS, San Francisco 49ers, Chicago Bulls, Oakland A’s

Movies: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, Ghostbusters 2, Batman, Honey, I Shrunk the Kid, Turner and Hooch, The Burbs, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, The Steel Magnolias, Dream A Little Dream, Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Do The Right Thing

Music: Paula Abdul, Bobby Brown, Public Enemy, Milli Vanilli, New Kids on the Block, Karyn White, Richard Marx, Janet Jackson, Technotronic

Toys: Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo Gameboy, Nintendo Power Glove, Sega Genesis, Micro Machines, TYCO R/C Typhoon Hovercraft RC 9.6V Turbo Black, Micro Machines, Lil Miss Dress Up, Barbie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Clothes: Peace Sign Shirts, Leather African Medallions, NIKE clothes, Tanktops, Neon Green clothes, Thin Gold and Silver Chains, Friendship Bracelets, Joe Cool Shirts, FILA Tracksuits, Oversized Acid Wash Denim Jackets, Bugle Boy, I.O.U. Sweaters, Girbaud jeans, Who Framed Roger Rabbit clothing, Batman Symbol Shirts, Clothing with The Beatles on it, Fanny Packs, RUN DMC shirts, Jimi Hendrix shirts, Mock Turtlenecks, Don’t Worry Be Happy shirt, Hard Rock Cafe shirts, ESPIRIT designer clothes, USED Jeans by Elie, and Guess Jeans, Mom jeans

Which year sticks out over the other? Which year stays with you in memory? Which year is the most interesting? What did you like about each year? What were some dislikes for each year? Why do you like one year over the other?

Subject: Re: 1986 vs 1989

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/03/20 at 9:25 pm

Late Boomer here - in my 20s for both years.  I voted 1986.  By 1989 I was starting to get disenfranchised with pop culture.  Plus, on a personal level I was having a ball in 1986.  Although both years were good for me.  Personally, 1989 was a strange year compared to before and since, but the reasons are too complex for here.  I'll just say I traveled a lot in 1989, more than usual.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/03/20 at 9:29 pm

Late Boomer here - in my 20s for both years.  I voted 1986.  By 1989 I was starting to get disenfranchised with pop culture.  Plus, on a personal level I was having a ball in 1986.  Although both years were good for me.  Personally, 1989 was a strange year compared to before and since, but the reasons are too complex for here.  I'll just say I traveled a lot in 1989, more than usual.

Was late ‘88 and 1989 missing something pop culture-wise?

Written By: violet_shy on 03/03/20 at 9:57 pm

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/03/20 at 10:48 pm

Was late ‘88 and 1989 missing something pop culture-wise?

Rather than "missing something", I'd say that things changed.  Not only that - I changed.  I'll add that I didn't return to pop culture in the 90's - I was pretty tuned out, and frankly I perceived it got worse.  At that time (late 80's to early 90's) it seems a lot of boomers were tuning out - it wasn't just me.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/04/20 at 6:52 am

Any children of the 80s on here? What did the children of the 80s think about 1989?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/04/20 at 9:13 am

I voted for both. Particularly the Fall to holiday season of 1986 and the spring/summer of '87 (my 2nd grade year) was full of memories. Movie wise 1989 was overall better with the "Big 3" in the summer box office (I am batfan, lol). Although 1986 has Top Gun. I'd also like to mention I'd love to relive the entire year of 1988.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/04/20 at 12:20 pm

I voted for both. Particularly the Fall to holiday season of 1986 and the spring/summer of '87 (my 2nd grade year) was full of memories. Movie wise 1989 was overall better with the "Big 3" in the summer box office (I am batfan, lol). Although 1986 has Top Gun. I'd also like to mention I'd love to relive the entire year of 1988.

Did you get the Taco Bell Batman cups in the summer of ‘89?

Check for new replies or respond here...