inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s Teens

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 1:29 pm

Do you ever wish that you were a teenager in the 80s?

Let’s look at the things that came out of the 80s for teens to enjoy: Amy Heckerling teen films, MTV, John Hughes teen films, Cosby sitcoms, talk shows, anti-family sitcoms, good underground music, Corey films, designer clothes, new dance styles, mainstream rap, and Nintendo.

Subject: Re: 80s Teens

Written By: Howard on 03/06/20 at 1:36 pm

Do you ever wish that you were a teenager in the 80s?

Let’s look at the things that came out of the 80s for teens to enjoy: Amy Heckerling teen films, MTV, John Hughes teen films, Cosby sitcoms, talk shows, anti-family sitcoms, good underground music, Corey films, designer clothes, new dance styles, mainstream rap, and Nintendo.

I was a teenager between 1987-1989 so I guess I wouldn't mind being a teenager in that time period.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 2:11 pm

I was a teenager between 1987-1989 so I guess I wouldn't mind being a teenager in that time period.

What did you dislike about being an 80s teenager?

Written By: wixness on 03/06/20 at 5:40 pm

I'd love it best because I reckon the 80s was the height of metal (rock would have been declining slowly then I think, but I'm not a fan of 70s guitars in some cases); other than that and the geometric and more androgynous aesthetic than even the 2000s in a few cases, I don't find much that interests me about it.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/06/20 at 5:42 pm

I would love to have the freedom of hanging out with other 80s teens after school and working at the mall to get some expensive designer clothes.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/20 at 4:01 am

What did you dislike about being an 80s teenager?

Being picked on.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/07/20 at 7:45 am

Being picked on.

What did you do for fun in those days?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:12 pm

What did you do for fun in those days?

played handball, rode my bike, played Nintendo.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 3:15 pm

played handball, rode my bike, played Nintendo.

Did you ride your bike to 7-11 like tons of other 80s teens did?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/20 at 3:46 pm

Did you ride your bike to 7-11 like tons of other 80s teens did?

Just around the house.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 3:52 pm

Just around the house.

You missed out. I would be zipping to the mall and 7-11 if I were an 80s teen with a bike. Those were the best days to hang out with someone.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/08/20 at 3:54 pm

No 7-11 or malls in my area. I rode my bike everywhere in the summer. Down back roads. To the gas station in town. To the campground and hung out with kids who were camping there. Exploring abandoned places. Built forts in the woods behind my house. Fishing. In the winter or bad weather I’d snowmobile. Learn songs on my bass. Wrote programs on my calculator. Built things. Stayed up late and see what I could find. I was never really bored.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/08/20 at 4:33 pm

Howard, what posters did you have in your room in the late 80s?

Written By: Howard on 03/09/20 at 7:24 am

You missed out. I would be zipping to the mall and 7-11 if I were an 80s teen with a bike. Those were the best days to hang out with someone.

I was a kid so I didn't travel with my bike except to the parks and home.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/20 at 7:28 am

Howard, what posters did you have in your room in the late 80s?

Bart Simpson, Bret Hart, I used to have baseball posters in my room some included Rusty Staub, Rollie Fingers, Daryl Strawberry and Mookie Wilson just to name a few and after I wasn't a baseball fan any longer I turned to wrestling.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/09/20 at 11:43 am

Being picked on.

Yeah, the Gen X teens during the Reagan era were rough. If you didn't look like William Zabka then you got tormented by the ones that did.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 1:16 pm

Bart Simpson, Bret Hart, I used to have baseball posters in my room some included Rusty Staub, Rollie Fingers, Daryl Strawberry and Mookie Wilson just to name a few and after I wasn't a baseball fan any longer I turned to wrestling.

Bart Simpson posters were first sold in the early 90s.

You didn’t have any movie posters, band posters, car posters, or skateboard and surfer  brand posters in your room?

Yeah, the Gen X teens during the Reagan era were rough. If you didn't look like William Zabka then you got tormented by the ones that did.

William Zabka?! Even in 1987 and 1988?

Written By: Howard on 03/09/20 at 2:47 pm

I got into fights cause Me And My Brother were wusses.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 2:51 pm

Other things to hate about being a teen in the 1980s:

- Gangs in school
- Weapons in school
- Slambooks

Written By: Howard on 03/09/20 at 2:58 pm

Bart Simpson posters were first sold in the early 90s.

You didn’t have any movie posters, band posters, car posters, or skateboard and surfer  brand posters in your room?

William Zabka?! Even in 1987 and 1988?

I did have some movie and film posters some I cut out from the newspaper and taped them to my wall.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/09/20 at 3:43 pm

I did have some movie and film posters some I cut out from the newspaper and taped them to my wall.

I went to the poster store in the mall for my stuff. To this day, I’m blown away by Garfield, Betty Boop, and Jessica Rabbit.

Written By: robby76 on 03/10/20 at 11:26 am

I voted no, as I loved being an 80s "kid". I became a teenager at 13 in 1989 though. I started high school in 1987 and absolutely loved it.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 1:06 pm

I voted no, as I loved being an 80s "kid". I became a teenager at 13 in 1989 though. I started high school in 1987 and absolutely loved it.

You started high school as an 11 year old? Are you gifted?

Written By: robby76 on 03/10/20 at 10:16 pm

You started high school as an 11 year old? Are you gifted?

Arggghh not this again lol. The UK has a different school age system. Primary is 6 - 10 yrs old and secondary is 11-17 yrs old.
The age system has since changed since I went to school and that too confuses me.

Written By: robby76 on 03/11/20 at 9:55 am

Other things to hate about being a teen in the 1980s:

- Gangs in school
- Weapons in school
- Slambooks

Surely this must've only been in inner city schools? I know some movies portray school life like this, but was that generally the case nationwide?

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/11/20 at 2:29 pm

Surely this must've only been in inner city schools? I know some movies portray school life like this, but was that generally the case nationwide?

Mostly inner city schools.

Check for new replies or respond here...