inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Oldschool Age of Hip-Hop (1979–1986) vs. Golden Age of Hip-Hop (1986–1997)

Written By: Zelek3 on 03/09/20 at 11:58 pm

Which one do you prefer?

Oldschool/Funky Fly Age (1979–1986):
DJ Kool Herc, The Sugarhill Gang, Fatback Band, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Afrika Bambaataa and the Jazzy Five, The Treacherous Three, Funky Four Plus One, Kurtis Blow, Melle Mel, Super-Wolf, West Street Mob, Spoonie Gee, Early Kool Moe Dee, Busy Bee Starski, Lovebug Starski, The Cold Crush Brothers, Warp 9, T-Ski Valley, Grandmaster Caz, Doug E. Fresh, Early Slick Rick, MC Ricky D, The Sequence, Jazzy Jay, Rock Steady Crew, Fab Five Freddy, New Edition, Cameo, Duke Bootee, Brother D, Lady B, Frankie Smith, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Early Run-DMC, Early Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, World Class Wreckin' Cru, DJ Yella, Jason Nevins

Golden/Gangsta Streets Age (1986–1997):
Prime Run-DMC, Prime Beastie Boys, Salt n Pepa, Prime LL Cool J, Prime Kool Moe Dee, Boogie Down Productions, Marley Marl, Juice Crew, Ultramagnetic MCs, Jungle Brothers, Biz Markie, Eric B and Rakim, Tone Loc, Eazy-E, Ice-T, Schooly D, Big Daddy Kane, Public Enemy, EPMD, Fresh Prince and DJ Jazzy Jeff, KRS-One, MC Lyte, The DOC, NWA, Prime Slick Rick, Kool G Rap and DJ Polo, De La Soul, Leaders of the New School, KMD, Brand Nubian, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, MC Hammer, Kid n Play, 3rd Bass, Boyz II Men, Vanilla Ice, Bell Biv DeVoe, 2 Live Crew, The UMs, Main Source, Lord Finesse, Just Ice, Digable Planets, Stetsasonic, True Mathematics, Mantronix, Too Short, Early Mary J. Blige, A Tribe Called Quest, Tupac, Naughty By Nature, MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, Masta Ace, Cypress Hill, Early Busta Rhymes, Early Master P, Early Fat Joe, DITC, Prime Snoop Dogg, Prime Dr. Dre, Geto Boys, Early Scarface, Three 6 Mafia, Tommy Wright, House of Pain, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Wu-Tang Clan, Raekwon, RZA, Ghostface Killah, Killah Priest, Early Method Man and Redman, Kriss Kross, Onyx, Souls of Mischief, Queen Latifah, Early Outkast, Nas, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Gang Starr, Craig Mack, Mobb Deep, 7L & Esoteric, Bone Thugs N Harmony, Big L, Coolio, Xzibit, Junior MAFIA, Early R. Kelly, Das-EFX, Early Blackstreet, Early Common, Early Jay-Z, Early Eminem, Fugees

Subject: Re: Oldschool Age of Hip-Hop (1979–1986) vs. Golden Age of Hip-Hop (1986–1997)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 6:51 am

Before all of this.

Subject: Re: Oldschool Age of Hip-Hop (1979–1986) vs. Golden Age of Hip-Hop (1986–1997)

Written By: Howard on 03/10/20 at 7:12 am

I'm a old school hip hop rap fan, no doubt cannot stand today's garbage.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/10/20 at 10:52 am

Not to be overly analytical, but the term "hip hop" wasn't really used before 1986, it was called "rap".  I've always thought of "rap" and "hip hop" as separate, but related, genres.  It was the late 80's - '88 or '89 - when I first heard of "hip hop".

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/10/20 at 11:05 am

Here's a couple, one from each era.  Note the contrast.  I always found each entertaining:

Run D.M.C. - You Be Illin' (1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjbe9ciRvw

M.C. Hammer - Pump It Up (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZVcXzSE3M

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 1:20 pm

Not to be overly analytical, but the term "hip hop" wasn't really used before 1986, it was called "rap".  I've always thought of "rap" and "hip hop" as separate, but related, genres.  It was the late 80's - '88 or '89 - when I first heard of "hip hop".

Rap is a fraction of hip hop. In the 70s and 80s, breakdancing, graffiti, doing b-boy stances, rapping about the ghetto, and doing turn tables were all part of the hip hop movement. Hip hop died a sad death when some underground rappers were discovered by agents and sold out.

Here's a couple, one from each era.  Note the contrast.  I always found each entertaining:

Run D.M.C. - You Be Illin' (1986)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjbe9ciRvw

M.C. Hammer - Pump It Up (1989)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sZVcXzSE3M

Neither were good to the realest rap fans. I see now why older people looked down on the mainstream rappers when I was younger. Mainstream rappers bring no awareness whatsoever about rough neighborhoods.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/20 at 2:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTyxBSKMNDo
Ice T- The Coldest Rap (1983)

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/10/20 at 4:05 pm

Golden age had the most impact.

Check for new replies or respond here...