inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your personal Top 10 80s albums

Written By: robby76 on 03/15/20 at 3:17 am

Take your time lol, but what are your Top10 albums from the 80s. You can have the same artist more than once if you wish. I'll start my list later. Needs some thought.

Subject: Re: Your personal Top 10 80s albums

Written By: robby76 on 03/15/20 at 11:49 am

Most of these albums take me back to special times - some as a happy kid and others becoming a teenager. I judge a good album to have at least 3 or 4 amazing tracks, and hopefully in special cases 10 out 10 great tracks!

1. Five Star - Luxury of Life, Silk & Steel, Between The Lines, Rock The World (1985-88)
Okay so I grouped 4 albums in one, but I wanted to leave room for others. All these albums get a 10/10 for me. No fillers.

2. Whitney Houston - self titled debut (1985)
The voice, the great sentimental intros to the ballads - gosh what a nicely produced album. Almost every track a winner - "Thinking About You" being a little weak.

3. The Jets - self titled (1985)
I love big family groups and this one was probably the biggest. Lots of catchy pop tracks and the stunning ballad “You Got It All”. The cover just encapsulates the colourful fun mid80s too.

4. Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)
There’s a reason this was the biggest selling album. Some funky tracks which haven’t aged at all – “Wanna Be Starting Something”. Then lots of chilled soul tracks like “Baby Be Mine”, great ballad “Human Nature” and fun pop like “PYT”.

5. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (1989)
Another varied album – no matter what style, it worked. Highlights for me are “Miss You Much” and “Alright”. Worst is probably “Black Cat”.

6. Kylie Minogue - Enjoy Yourself (1989)
This was another teenage favourite. Just reminds me of the excitement of starting a new school. The producers are famous for catchy pop songs and most tracks here prove that.

7. Julio Iglesias – 1100 Bel Air Place (1984)
My mum loved Julio and this reminds me of daily car journeys. Top picks “Bambou Medley”, “Me Va”, “Moonlight Lady” and “All of You” with Diana Ross.

8. Michael McDonald - Sweet Freedom (1986)
One of my two favourite male vocalists – the other being Kenny Loggins. The songs on here are great 80s yacht rock lol. This was kind of a Greatest Hits repackaged album, but based on his then new album. Title track goes without saying, “Yah Mo Be There”, “On My Own” and the rockin’ “No Lookin Back”.

9. Nik Kershaw - Human Racing (1984)
Great debut from this UK singer. At least 4 amazing tracks. The title track is actually my favourite – kinda moody but you get into it after a few listens.

10. La Toya Jackson – Imagination (1986)
Haha okay so this one is kind of a guilty pleasure. She’s not got the vocals at all, but I think they really tried to put a lot of work into this album to succeed. Just general harmless pop music. Star track is “Boys Got Something”.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/15/20 at 12:27 pm

1. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
2. Prince and The Revolution- Purple Rain
3. Madonna - True Blue
4. Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
5. The Police - Synchronicity
6. Michael Jackson - Thriller
7. Janet Jackson - Control
8. Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
9. Babyface - Tender Lover
10. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814

Written By: robby76 on 03/16/20 at 12:36 am

1. Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
2. Prince and The Revolution- Purple Rain
3. Madonna - True Blue
6. Michael Jackson - Thriller
7. Janet Jackson - Control
8. Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
10. Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814

These all get my approval. I like the singles from your other albums, but never listened to those in full, so can't comment. I know Babyface 90s, but not so much Babyface 1989. Will try and check it out.

I think Madonna's "Like A Virgin" would be in my top 20 as that had a lot of hits on it which I still love to this day.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/16/20 at 7:57 pm

These all get my approval. I like the singles from your other albums, but never listened to those in full, so can't comment. I know Babyface 90s, but not so much Babyface 1989. Will try and check it out.

I think Madonna's "Like A Virgin" would be in my top 20 as that had a lot of hits on it which I still love to this day.

Babyface’s Tender Lover was his 80s and 90s cusp work.

Madonna’s Like A Prayer would be 11 or 12 on my list. “Cherish” always perks me up.

Written By: robby76 on 03/19/20 at 11:17 pm

Buuuuump! No-one else with a top10?

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/20 at 12:54 am

1 | Duran Duran - Rio (1982)
There are different mixes of this album, but the original 1982 Harvest release is the only one that I accept.  Every track on it is a winner, most especially the 'night version of Hungry Like the Wolf.  The one most commonly heard on the radio is an edit and pales in comparison

2 | Fantastic - Wham! (1983)
Due to poor promotion by their record label, this was not a big success in North America, but it was massive in the UK.  Every song on this album is great!

3 | A Secret Wish - Propaganda (1985)
German new wave at its finest.  Duel and P-Machinery are just fantastic!

4 | Steeltown - Big Country (1984)
Even better than their first album, despite not being a massive hit in North America.  Another album where the non singles are just as good as the singles

5 | Black Cars - Gino Vannelli (1984)
This was not a big hit outside of Canada, but still found minor success in the US.  Once an adult contemporary crooner, Gino re-branded himself into new wave and to date, the title track remains his signature song in Canada.  I grew up with this album and its three singles:  Black Cars, Hurts to Be in Love and Just A Motion Away

6 | Madonna (1983)
In the UK, this is known as 'The First Album' and it's actually that version I prefer.  One of the best debut albums ever!

7 | Quarterflash - Back Into Blue (1985)
This album was not a big success and featured only one hit (Talk to Me) that never saw the Top 40.  I love most of the album tracks on this and my favourite is Caught in the Rain

8 | Diamond in the Rough (1988)
One album wonder by a Canadian group that did not really have big chart success.  Regardless, this album is a wonderful blend of pop songs, and three of them became hits in Canada:  Ain't Good Lovin', Where is Love and Walk on the Wire.  If you love the sound of the saxophone, Ain't Good Lovin' is not to be missed

9 | Blvd. (1988)
An absolute beautiful self-titled pop-rock album by a band that only had success in Canada.  3 songs from this were singles and all made the Canadian Top 40:  Far From Over, Dream On and Never Give Up.  These songs bring back wonderful memories of the 80s for me

10 | The Damned - Phantasmagoria (1985)
I listen to this one quite often.  A fun mix of Goth and New Wave.  Grimly Fiendish and Is it A Dream? are absolute gems!

Written By: robby76 on 03/23/20 at 12:46 am

My siblings and I were all listening to Wham before "Club Tropicana" lol. I remember the performances of "Young Guns" and "Wham Rap" well as a kid.

6 | Madonna (1983)
In the UK, this is known as 'The First Album' and it's actually that version I prefer.  One of the best debut albums ever!

"Holiday" and "Everybody" are my favourites on this. The other singles are okay, but I still prefer the catchier ones on Like A Virgin. I've not heard the album tracks on this. I'm previewing them now. So far the standout is "Think Of Me".

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/24/20 at 6:35 pm

Great to see some albums from the late 80s on some lists. Late 80s music isn’t quite loved.

Written By: robby76 on 03/24/20 at 9:41 pm

Great to see some albums from the late 80s on some lists. Late 80s music isn’t quite loved.

For me personally, it's mainly due to the late 80s not being my childhood anymore. I think there's something "magical" about being 8, 9, 10 yrs old and discovering your first proper music loves.

Check for new replies or respond here...