inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 80s Equivalent

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/19/20 at 7:22 pm

What was the 80s equivalent to “Star Trek” from the 1960s? Was it “The Cosby Show”, “Star Trek The Next Generation”, “The Wonder Years”, or “Saved By The Bell”?

Subject: Re: The 80s Equivalent

Written By: robby76 on 03/19/20 at 11:17 pm

Not sure I get the question. If you're talking what's the 60s sci fi equivalent then yes "ST : Next Generation" would be it. Or perhaps Battlestar Gallactica 1980 or Buck Rogers? "V" was sci-fi but not that "spacey".

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/20/20 at 8:46 am

Not sure I get the question. If you're talking what's the 60s sci fi equivalent then yes "ST : Next Generation" would be it. Or perhaps Battlestar Gallactica 1980 or Buck Rogers? "V" was sci-fi but not that "spacey".

I’m trying to think of a show from the 1980s that made history. It could have been non-science fiction like Miami Vice or The Cosby Show or science fiction like Star Trek The Next Generation. Which show had an enduring cultural impact?

Written By: robby76 on 03/20/20 at 9:12 am

I was looking at all the big tv shows, and whilst they were huge at the time, I'm not sure their legacy still holds.

What does still hold is probably the cartoons - and the top one I'd say is "He-Man and the MOTU". That has been reincarnated numerous times and the fan-base is solid.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/20/20 at 12:09 pm

I was looking at all the big tv shows, and whilst they were huge at the time, I'm not sure their legacy still holds.

What does still hold is probably the cartoons - and the top one I'd say is "He-Man and the MOTU". That has been reincarnated numerous times and the fan-base is solid.

I was looking for a live action TV show, but you’re right. “He-Man and the MOTU” is as big of a TV hit now as it was then.

Written By: robby76 on 03/20/20 at 10:01 pm

I was looking for a live action TV show, but you’re right. “He-Man and the MOTU” is as big of a TV hit now as it was then.

Transformers has lasted a while - Hollywood film franchise and new cartoons, toys etc.

Most live action shows have been rebooted, so they've all kinda made an equal impact. Reboots of MacGyver, A-team films, Magnum, "V", Dynasty, Dallas etc. Don't think any are more popular than the other though.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/21/20 at 9:38 am

Transformers has lasted a while - Hollywood film franchise and new cartoons, toys etc.

Most live action shows have been rebooted, so they've all kinda made an equal impact. Reboots of MacGyver, A-team films, Magnum, "V", Dynasty, Dallas etc. Don't think any are more popular than the other though.

He-Man and the MOTU stands out as the greatest cartoon of the 80s and The Cosby Show defines the 80s better than any other mid to late 80s show.

Written By: Howard on 03/21/20 at 3:32 pm

He-Man and the MOTU stands out as the greatest cartoon of the 80s and The Cosby Show defines the 80s better than any other mid to late 80s show.

The Cosby Show was about a black family that included Cliff Huxtable and his wife along with his son and daughters.

Written By: oldmusicfan on 03/21/20 at 4:00 pm

The Cosby Show was about a black family that included Cliff Huxtable and his wife along with his son and daughters.

Most importantly, The Cosby Show put Koos Van Den Akker sweaters and other sweaters like that on the map.

Check for new replies or respond here...