inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s hits from around the world!

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/20 at 1:34 am

I love learning about songs I never heard before.  The world had many artists/songs of the 80s, share some of them that you enjoy! :)

Subject: Re: 80s hits from around the world!

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/20 at 1:41 am

Here is German band Bad Boys Blue with a very catchy 1987 hit called Come Back and Stay.  So many great dance/NRG/pop songs came out of Europe, this is just the tip of the iceberg!

c7_VDxPsQsU

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/20 at 1:45 am

You may know British singer Limahl as the lead singer of Kajagoogoo and for his 1984 single The Never Ending Story, but you may not know this one.  Love in Your Eyes came out in 1986, and despite only peaking at #80 in the UK, it did see some Top 40 success in other parts of Europe.  This song is just wonderful!

nLcfFvn4p3c

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 7:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ESJmKCfi4A
Ago- Good Time!

Written By: nally on 03/22/20 at 12:15 pm

You may know British singer Limahl as the lead singer of Kajagoogoo and for his 1984 single The Never Ending Story, but you may not know this one.  Love in Your Eyes came out in 1986, and despite only peaking at #80 in the UK, it did see some Top 40 success in other parts of Europe.  This song is just wonderful!

From his album Colour All My Days, which my household has a copy of. O0

Written By: Howard on 03/22/20 at 2:41 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLewcdIWlw

Written By: robby76 on 03/23/20 at 1:04 am

Malaysian group Freedom from 1987. The intro reminds me of either the "Cheers" or "Kate & Allie" intro.  ;D

2VLXayOI3oE

gxxa_CXlk0Y

Written By: robby76 on 03/23/20 at 11:56 am

Another light jazzy number by Malaysian artist Sheila Majid. This one from 1986.

namRoyoWsIU

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/23/20 at 12:26 pm

From Nicole, German singer. She won the Eurovision Song Contest 1982 with the song Ein bißchen Frieden ("A Little Peace"), which also reached the top of the UK Singles Chart.

MHQIaFZbnP8

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/20 at 10:39 pm

Some good stuff so far :)

Here is a band from London UK called Central Line with a catchy funk hit from 1983 called Nature Boy'

aTzlkPGxHQg

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/20 at 10:58 pm

Pseudo Echo were an Australian new wave band well-known in many countries for their 1987 cover of 'Funky Town', but in their native land, they had other hits.  Here's a fantastic one from 1984 called 'A Beat For You'

2HfGu2dUX-0

Written By: robby76 on 04/12/20 at 11:26 pm

This 1989 hit is from The Fan Club - a New Zealand band with a Malaysian lead singer.

M5Y3Hzm6gcA

Written By: Henk on 04/21/20 at 1:30 pm

Some good stuff so far :)

Here is a band from London UK called Central Line with a catchy funk hit from 1983 called Nature Boy'

Central Line reached # 24 in the Netherlands. I've always enjoyed listening to their version (I assume you already know it was a cover?)

Written By: Henk on 04/21/20 at 2:54 pm

Chaplin Band - Il Veliero

Despite only reaching #24 in Dutch Top 40, this still remains a radio favorite.
And don't let the vocals fool you: Chaplin Band are 100% Dutch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXBWoEI-T0

Written By: nally on 04/21/20 at 4:33 pm

Pseudo Echo were an Australian new wave band well-known in many countries for their 1987 cover of 'Funky Town', but in their native land, they had other hits.  Here's a fantastic one from 1984 called 'A Beat For You'

Now this one I don't know. I only know their cover of "Funky town"; however, I figured they were likely more successful in and around their home country. O0 Always good to learn something new every day.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/20 at 7:30 pm

Central Line reached # 24 in the Netherlands. I've always enjoyed listening to their version (I assume you already know it was a cover?)

I did.  So many people have recorded it.  When I listen to the Central line version, its hard to believe the song dates back to the 40s

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/20 at 10:31 am

Here is a very catchy song called Boys (Summertime Love) by Italian singer Sabrina Salerno.  This reached #3 in the UK and #2 on the Canadian Dance chart in 1988

ed3PFYVtha8

Written By: Howard on 04/23/20 at 7:27 am

Here is a very catchy song called Boys (Summertime Love) by Italian singer Sabrina Salerno.  This reached #3 in the UK and #2 on the Canadian Dance chart in 1988

ed3PFYVtha8

Did you see her video where she's in the swimming pool trying to fix her bra keeping her boobs from coming out? :o

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/20 at 10:35 am

Did you see her video where she's in the swimming pool trying to fix her bra keeping her boobs from coming out? :o

I sure have, which is why I posted a clip of her singing it on a TV show rather than the actual video itself lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/20 at 10:37 am

I sure have, which is why I posted a clip of her singing it on a TV show rather than the actual video itself lol
I always remembered it as Sinitta, a totally different singer.

Written By: Elor on 04/26/20 at 1:35 pm

Alphaville:
Forever Young:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1TcDHrkQYg

Big in Japan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdWZKb659K0

Written By: nally on 04/26/20 at 1:36 pm

^ Great selections; I happen to know both of those! O0

Written By: Howard on 04/26/20 at 2:20 pm

I always remembered it as Sinitta, a totally different singer.

I think she's from The U.K.?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/20 at 2:30 pm

I think she's from The U.K.?
Sinitta is an American-born British singer, with her mother is Miquel Brown, who was a popular American disco-soul singer in the 1970s and 1980s and a member of the cast of Hair.

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/20 at 6:13 pm

Sinitta is an American-born British singer, with her mother is Miquel Brown, who was a popular American disco-soul singer in the 1970s and 1980s and a member of the cast of Hair.

Fun fact:  Miquel Brown is a Canadian born American.  Sinitta is an American born Brit, but because her mom is Canadian, she automatically was granted Canadian citizenship in 2009 due to a change in the Canadian Citizenship Act.

Written By: ChristopherA.Martin on 06/18/20 at 12:55 am

She actually had a wardrobe malfunction on a Spanish TV show that aired on New Years Eve 1987. It made her quite famous over there.

Check for new replies or respond here...