inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s songs that were covers of 80s songs

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/20 at 3:29 pm

Here is one to start:

Whenever you Need Somebody is a 1987 song by Rick Astley, released as the 2nd single (4th in Canada) from his debut album of the same name; It was not released as a single in the US.  The original version was by O'Chi Brown in 1985.

O'Chi Brown:  UK #97 | US Dance #1
Rick Astley:  UK #3 | CAN #60

BeyEGebJ1l4 gafz6XlmGM8

Subject: Re: 80s songs that were covers of 80s songs

Written By: nally on 04/12/20 at 3:31 pm

"Funky Town" is the only one that comes to mind for me right now.

Lipps Incorporated first scored a hit with it in 1980, and then in 1986/87 the Australian band Pseudo Echo scored a hit with their version.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/20 at 7:48 pm

^ Love the Pseudo Echo version of Funky Town

Here is one from the UK called Only You.  It was first recorded by Yaz (or Yazoo depending on where you are from) in 1982, and covered by an acapella group called The Flying Pickets in 1983

Yaz/Yazoo:  UK #2 | US #67
The Flying Pickets:  UK #1 | CAN #17

qgDKtLPp46s r9_HrktOwrk

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/12/20 at 8:00 pm

The Waterboys
"Purple Rain"
live at the Pink Pop Festival
Galeen, Netherlands
May 19, 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJE8QB1Nng0

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/20 at 9:24 pm

Here is Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want.  Originally a B-Side by The Smiths in 1984, The Dream Academy covered it the next year, and though their version only reached #88 in the UK, an instrumental version of it was famously used during the museum scene of the 1986 film Ferris Bueller's Day Off

En1IgPz1jfk w3qPMe_cCJk

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 10:23 pm

Downtown Train by Tom Waits in 1985. In 1987 both Patty Smyth and Mary Chapin Carpenter did their versions. I’ve had the Patty Smyth one in my collection since the 90s and always loved it. Then in 1989 came the Rod Stewart version that everybody knows.

Another one is How Am I Supposed To Live Without You. Written by Michael Bolton and Doug James in 1982. However Laura Branigan did the song in 1983, and Michael Bolton’s version didn’t come until 1989. So it’s almost like he remade his own song.

Written By: robby76 on 04/12/20 at 11:22 pm

New Zealand / Malaysian band The Fan Club released their version of Spagna's "Call Me" in 1988. Though very close to the original, I generally think the vocals and production are much better.

14vpxrskGTY

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/12/20 at 11:33 pm

Pointer Sisters did Slow Hand in 1981. Conway Twitty did it in 1982. Both were popular on the radio.

Only The Young was written by Journey in 1983. Patty Smyth (with Scandal at the time) released a version in 1984. Journey’s version came out in 1985.

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/20 at 7:02 pm

New Zealand / Malaysian band The Fan Club released their version of Spagna's "Call Me" in 1988. Though very close to the original, I generally think the vocals and production are much better.

I quite liked that

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/20 at 7:42 pm

Here is What About Love, a 1985 song by the American rock band Heart.  Hailed as their comeback single, it is technically a cover song though in actuality, it is not … if that makes sense.  The song was originally co-written in 1982 by two members of a Canadian rock band called Toronto, but after recording it, was rejected for release by the rest of the band, and thus never originally appeared on a Toronto album until their original albums saw release on CD in 2002.  Because of this, the Heart version could actually be considered the original version as it was "released" first

KE5GGMhmo-M Lua9OrloDkg

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/14/20 at 2:16 pm

Always On My Mind
Willie Nelson (1982), followed by Pet Shop Boys (1987)

Pink Cadillac
Bruce Springsteen (1984), followed by Natalie Cole (1987)

Wind Beneath My Wings/Hero

Lou Rawls, Gary Morris, and Gladys Knight & The Pips (all 1983, with Gladys' version titled "Hero"), and then Bette Midler (1988), with future covers in subsequent decades, most notably Steven Houghton's. There was also a version by soul singer Little Milton recorded in 1989. One of the few songs of the 1980s that is both a "cover" in the traditional sense with several artists recording it around the same time when it is first written, along with the more contemporary definition that is synonymous with "remake".

I Found Someone

Laura Branigan (1985), followed by Cher (1987)

The Power Of Love (no, not the Huey Lewis & The News song)

Jennifer Rush (1984), followed by Laura Branigan (1987), and finally Celine Dion's in the '90s

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/14/20 at 2:25 pm

Always On My Mind
Willie Nelson (1982), followed by Pet Shop Boys (1987)

Pink Cadillac
Bruce Springsteen (1984), followed by Natalie Cole (1987)

Wind Beneath My Wings/Hero

Lou Rawls, Gary Morris, and Gladys Knight & The Pips (all 1983, with Gladys' version titled "Hero"), and then Bette Midler (1988), with future covers in subsequent decades, most notably Steven Houghton's. There was also a version by soul singer Little Milton recorded in 1989.

I Found Someone

Laura Branigan (1985), followed by Cher (1987)

The Power Of Love (no, not the Huey Lewis & The News song)

Jennifer Rush (1984), followed by Laura Branigan (1987), and finally Celine Dion's in the '90s

I'm not sure if "Always On My Mind" counts since it technically isn't a song that originated in the 80s that was then covered again in the 80s. (At least I THINK that's what this thread is supposed to be). It was first recorded in 1970 by BJ Thomas and then by Gwen McCrae, Brenda Lee and most notably Elvis Presley, all in 1972. So by the time Willie Nelson recorded it in 1982 it had already been covere many times in the 70s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/14/20 at 2:28 pm

Well both of those '80s covers were Top 10 hits, so that sort of counts in some degree, even if the original version is from a previous decade. A lot of Christmas songs would probably fall into the same camp.

Written By: karen on 04/14/20 at 2:28 pm

Kiss by Prince was released in 1986. This version reached number 6 in the U.K. Singles chart for that year.

The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones released a version in 1988 which rose to number 5 in the U.K. charts. This song relaunched Tom Jones’s career

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/20 at 6:15 pm

How about Don't Stand So Close To Me. Both were done by the Police-1980 & 1986. Does that one count?

Cat

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/14/20 at 6:30 pm

How about Don't Stand So Close To Me. Both were done by the Police-1980 & 1986. Does that one count?
Cat

Did they just re-release it or did they record a different version? If it’s a different version then I’d say it counts.

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/20 at 7:53 pm

I wouldn't consider Always on my Mind simply because the song itself existed in versions prior to the 80s
Don't Stand So Close to Me '86 on the other hand would qualify as it was a new version by the band

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/14/20 at 9:07 pm

Every Time You Go Away by Paul Young in 1985. Hall and Oates originally did it in 1980.

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/20 at 1:27 am

Here's a really interesting one.  In 1984, Bruce Springsteen had a worldwide hit with Dancing in the Dark, a song that has stood the test of time and needs no introduction.  The following year, a group called Big Daddy released a cover version, but what they did was quite genius … they covered the music from the 1961 Pat Boone hit Moody River and set it to the lyrics of Dancing on the Dark and the end result was fantastic!  While their version was a Top 30 hit in the UK, it sadly did not chart in the US or Canada

fwMNGeb-l8s

Written By: robby76 on 04/18/20 at 9:47 am

Not really cover versions, as they were literally recorded at the same time. I presume Five Star for the UK market (May 1984) and New Edition for the US market (July 1984).

Wfz0usTi_A8

5tyfmgMEhU8

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/20 at 10:11 am

"Caravan of Love" is a 1985 R&B hit originally recorded by Isley-Jasper-Isley, the second half of The Isley Brothers' 3 + 3 lineup of the 1970s. Covered by British indie band The Housemartins released in November 1986.

fSrRdOMpOn0

ehfiQd7lcPY

Written By: robby76 on 04/18/20 at 10:35 am

"Caravan of Love" is a 1985 R&B hit originally recorded by Isley-Jasper-Isley, the second half of The Isley Brothers' 3 + 3 lineup of the 1970s. Covered by British indie band The Housemartins released in November 1986.

Wow never knew that! I loved the Housemartin's version. Thought that was the original as they seem like a very indie / credible band. I really like the rnb version too - probably more my style, but there's a lot of nostalgia with the Housemartin's version.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/20 at 10:39 am

Wow never knew that! I loved the Housemartin's version. Thought that was the original as they seem like a very indie / credible band. I really like the rnb version too - probably more my style, but there's a lot of nostalgia with the Housemartin's version.
I knew it is a cover, until I researched on it, I thought Isley original was much earlier, 60s even.

Written By: wagonman76 on 04/18/20 at 12:29 pm

Every Time You Go Away by Paul Young in 1985. Hall and Oates originally did it in 1980.

And then the version by Blue Room for Planes Trains And Automobiles in 1987. This was always one of my favorite movies and I LOVE this version of the song. But until Youtube it was impossible to find anywhere unless you recorded it off the movie itself. It wasn’t even on the movie soundtrack which I have.

f-Il8Hm1LqQ

Written By: djdaffy1227 on 04/18/20 at 7:08 pm

Hi! It's been forever since I have been in this forum. Whistledog pointed me back to it as we were working on Canadian charts of the 80's. This is a fun topic:

Our lips are sealed-Go Go's and Fun Boy Three
Like a virgin-Madonna and Lords of the New Church
Heart and Soul-Exile and Huey Lewis & The News
I wanna know what love is-Foreigner and New Jersey Mass Choir
Up where we belong-Joe Cocker & Jennifer Warnes and the PTL Singers
There's no one quite like grandma-St Winifred's School Choir and Leilah & Jeordie
Sign o' the times - Prince and Simple Minds
Family man-Mike Oldfield and Hall & Oates
Song of the south-Johnny Russell and Alabama
Another one bites the dust-Queen & Sugar Daddy
Girl you know it's true-Numarx and Milli Vanilli
Alone-iTen and Valarie Stevenson & John Stamos and Heart
That's what friends are for-Rod Stewart and Dionne & Friends

I could probably go on  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/20 at 7:19 pm

There's no one quite like grandma-St Winifred's School Choir and Leilah & Jeordie
Family man-Mike Oldfield and Hall & Oates

These ones stand out to me most first of all because i don't know why anyone would cover There's No one Quite Like Grandma, and why the cover was only a hit in Canada (it reached #27 in 1982) lol.  Leilah and Jeordie are the daughters of famed 70s singer Melanie Safka (Brand New Key), and though it did make the Top 40 in Canada, it was only in the chart for like 2 weeks lol

The Hall and Oates version of Family Man was not released as a single in Canada.  The original version by Mike Oldfield failed to become a major hit in many countries, but it did reach the Top 30 in Canada and was still popular at the time, so H&O decided to release a different single specifically for the Canadian market, so we got the John Oates' sung Italian Girls instead and it reached the Canadian Top 30

Written By: djdaffy1227 on 04/18/20 at 8:08 pm

A few more I had to put down:

I didn't mean to turn you on-Cherrelle and Robert Palmer (The Robert Palmer version never made sense to me. I mean, how many times has a guy accidentally turned a girl on. Girls always accidentally turn guys on, it made sense for a woman to sing this  ;D )
Early in the morning-Gap Band and Robert Palmer (Robert liked those R&B songs)
You shook me all night long-AC/DC and Orbit
Love missile F1-11-Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Pop Will Eat Itself
When you were mine-Prince and Cyndi Lauper and Mitch Ryder
(Speaking of Cyndi) Girls just want to have fun-Robert Hazard and Cyndi Lauper
Somebody else mentioned Prince & Art of Noise with Tom Jones doing Kiss, Age of Chance did it as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/19/20 at 3:21 am

These ones stand out to me most first of all because i don't know why anyone would cover There's No one Quite Like Grandma, and why the cover was only a hit in Canada (it reached #27 in 1982) lol.  Leilah and Jeordie are the daughters of famed 70s singer Melanie Safka (Brand New Key), and though it did make the Top 40 in Canada, it was only in the chart for like 2 weeks lol

The St Winifred's School Choir hold the distinction of being on TWO One Hit Wonders in the UK, as above, on "There's No One Quite Like Grandma" (1980), written for the 80th birthday of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and on "Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs" (1979) by Brian and Michael, which concerned the paintings of L.S. Lowry.

Written By: djdaffy1227 on 04/19/20 at 3:41 pm

Here's another one for Whistledog:

The Curly Shuffle-Jump N The Saddle Band and The Knuckleheads

Written By: whistledog on 04/19/20 at 10:13 pm

Here's another one for Whistledog:

The Curly Shuffle-Jump N The Saddle Band and The Knuckleheads

I totally forgot about that one.  The Knuckleheads were Canadian and that was their sole hit.  I love both versions, but the ending of the Jump n the Saddle one is better

Written By: Howard on 04/20/20 at 4:04 am

I totally forgot about that one.  The Knuckleheads were Canadian and that was their sole hit.  I love both versions, but the ending of the Jump n the Saddle one is better

When did The Knuckleheads do that version?

Written By: whistledog on 04/20/20 at 3:14 pm

When did The Knuckleheads do that version?

1983.  It reached the Top 40 in January of 1984

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/20 at 7:55 pm

Here is Turn it into love, a 1988 song by Kylie Minogue that appeared on her debut album.  It was only released as a single in Japan, however prior to its Japanese single release, British dance recording artist Hazell Dean recorded a version that reached #21 in the UK in 1988 and #38 on the US Dance chart and #19 on the Canadian Dance chart in early 1989.  While both versions are great, I side with the Kylie version only because I am a massive fan of her

Pq1QcBPe64g gWAEDd_M0eU

Written By: robby76 on 04/21/20 at 10:57 pm

Here is Turn it into love, a 1988 song by Kylie Minogue that appeared on her debut album.  It was only released as a single in Japan, however prior to its Japanese single release, British dance recording artist Hazell Dean recorded a version that reached #21 in the UK in 1988 and #38 on the US Dance chart and #19 on the Canadian Dance chart in early 1989.  While both versions are great, I side with the Kylie version only because I am a massive fan of her

Yes I think I remember this fact - but only knew of it these last few years. I prefer Kylie too. She has more star factor.

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/20 at 7:19 pm

One that has not been mentioned yet …

In 1982, Abba released a single called The Day Before You Came.  While it never charted in the US, it peaked at #32 in the UK and even reached #5 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart.  Two years later, British synth-pop duo Blancmange released a version that peaked at #22 in the UK.  Agnetha of ABBA in fact liked their version so much, she appeared in the video

1HnOFwqpLRQ 435Tj7YEeJY

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/20 at 7:37 pm

Here is a British female band called The Belle Stars with a 1982 song called Sign of the times.  By 1983, this reached #3 in the UK and also reached #75 in the US.  Also in 1983, a Canadian female group called Mens Room did a cover and it reached #9 in Canada

9m8Myh5Upms HkrqzdOSfQQ

Written By: robby76 on 04/26/20 at 7:44 pm

The Romantics (US) and Bucks Fizz (UK). Whilst I like Bucks Fizz, nothing beats the original.

JmGMzyajA2UtmgCHlwvE_k

Written By: whistledog on 04/26/20 at 8:27 pm

The Romantics (US) and Bucks Fizz (UK). Whilst I like Bucks Fizz, nothing beats the original.

I forgot about that one.  I have several Bucks Fizz albums that are Canadian releases.  They tried to make themselves a name in North America, sadly they did not succeed, but that being said, their version was really good. 

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/20 at 7:10 pm

Here is Stuck on you by Lionel Richie, a 1984 single that really needs no introduction.  That same year, just 3 months later, a British singer named Trevor Walters released a Reggae version, and though it was not a hit in North America, it charted higher than Lionel's version in the UK.  I love Lionel's version, it's what I know, what I grew up with and I will always love it, but Trevor's version was so well done, I kind of like it a little bit more

1c7d1jlLhSo 9NIc3b_jcIo

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/20 at 7:38 pm

Killer on the rampage was a 1982 song by Eddy Grant from his album of the same name.  It was never released as a single, but there were two covers in 1984, both released as singles.  One by a group called Mystic Rhythm (not sure where they were from) and one by a Canadian singer named Glen Johansen.  The song itself is so good, I will never understand why Grant never released his as a single

0AFUu4dToOA OM9SwlsZVD8

Written By: robby76 on 04/27/20 at 10:25 pm

Here is Stuck on you by Lionel Richie, a 1984 single that really needs no introduction.  That same year, just 3 months later, a British singer named Trevor Walters released a Reggae version, and though it was not a hit in North America, it charted higher than Lionel's version in the UK.  I love Lionel's version, it's what I know, what I grew up with and I will always love it, but Trevor's version was so well done, I kind of like it a little bit more.

Never heard that before. And I agree with you on all points, that turned out quite well.

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 3:21 am

Here is a 1986 single titled Weak in the presence of beauty by a British group called Floy Joy.  This peaked at #85 in the UK and #68 in Canada.
The next year, British singer Alison Moyet released a version that peaked at #6 in the UK

dhT5vTN7mT0 OzeRdzRSL8o

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 3:40 am

In 1983, German singer/songwriter Drafi Deutscher released a song titled Guardian angel under the name Masquerade.  This became a hit in several European countries and even made the Top 40 in Australia.

Here's where it gets interesting:  In 1984, German singer Nino De Angelo released a version that peaked at #57 in the UK.  The year before, he recorded a German language version called Jenseits von eden and a translated version called East of eden, both which were released as singles.  I have a Canadian pressing of the East of eden version, but it never charted here

UL22Z7T-tJw exvxZpt7_lM

Nino De Angelo - Jenseits von eden
Nino De Angelo - East of eden

Written By: robby76 on 04/28/20 at 7:10 am

Here is a 1986 single titled Weak in the presence of beauty by a British group called Floy Joy.  This peaked at #85 in the UK and #68 in Canada.
The next year, British singer Alison Moyet released a version that peaked at #6 in the UK

Another eye opener! Just shows that no matter how good a song is, it (sometimes) takes an established star to make it a hit.

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 8:21 pm

Here is British rockabilly singer Shakin' Stevens with his 1983 hit single Cry just a little bit.  This was reached #3 in the UK and also reached #67 in the US, becoming his only charting single in the US Hot 100.  It also peaked at #30 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart.  The song would see bigger success in North America through a 1985 version by American country singer Sylvia, which saw the Top 10 in both the US and Canada

87oAjeeEDlI U9wPYSKk_30

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 8:26 pm

Here is the 1984 single Turning away by Crystal Gale, a #1 Country hit in both the US and Canada.  In 1986, a version by Shakin' Stevens peaked at #15 in the UK chart

pDvj5U_RDOw PX3LwlmdF7E

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 8:31 pm

How about a Shakin' Stevens trilogy :D
It's well-known that he never became a big star in North America, but as a songwriter, he did reach the US Top 40 once.  In 1982, he had his first UK #1 with Oh julie, a song which he wrote.  Later that same year, Barry Manilow recorded a version that peaked at #38 in the US

6AtOcWOPT50 zCukKP7f8tU

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/20 at 7:08 pm

Here are the Was "brothers" Don and Dave with their unsuccessful 1981 single Where did your heart go?.  A 1986 version was the final single for Wham! in North America and reached #50 in the US and #81 in Canada
YH2FvROdEds KM_rQf2Llf4

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/20 at 8:40 pm

Ian Thomas is a Canadian singer who (despite being a one hit wonder in the US with the 1973 hit Painted ladies) had a string of hits in his homeland during the 70s and 80s.  In 1981, he reached #28 in Canada with Hold on and to promote the song, he performed it on his brother Dave Thomas' sketch comedy show SCTV.  This caught the attention of Santana who recorded a version the next year that reached #15 in the US and #4 in Canada.  Ian was once quoted as saying "The Santana version paved my driveway"

pWzg7TQUXks e3PZ-Mju5Hk

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/20 at 8:46 pm

Hold on kickstarted a song writing career for Ian Thomas in America.  In 1981, he released a single titled The runner, and though it failed to chart, a 1984 version by Manfred Mann's Earth Band was a Top 40 hit in both the US and Canada

kKKf80vrnVw ANb1AA35o9I

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/20 at 8:55 pm

More Ian Thomas you say? :D

The third single from Ian's 1981 album The runner was called Chains.  It reached #29 in Canada.  The next year, Chicago recorded a version for their comeback album Chicago 16.  While they never released their version as a single, they should have.  It's pretty good!

goW91napdPY EVTWHcCeDH4

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 11:35 am

Here's one for our friends in Australia, oh and look, it's another Ian Thomas song lol

In 1985, Ian Thomas released As the days go by, and while it failed to chart, Australian singer Daryl Braithwaite peaked at #11 in Australia with a 1988 version.  Daryl is best known as lead singer of the rock band Sherbet / The Sherbs

3x27KZ7-CVo 0DYVyJrmns4

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 11:41 am

There should be a compilation album of songs written by Ian Thomas but made famous by other artists.  Oh and look, it's Daryl Braithwaite again!

Another uncharted song by Ian Thomas, again in 1985 called All I Do.  Enter Daryl Braithwaite again in 1988, whose version peaked at #23 in Australia

VlnqpV4tRU4 1NSrBz-FLHE

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 11:54 am

Here is Eddie Schwartz, another Canadian singer-songwriter best known for his 1982 US Top 40 hit All our tomorrows and for writing the song Hit me with your best Shot for Pat Benatar.  In 1984, he reached #20 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary (A/C) chart Special girl.  That same year, America recorded a version that reached #6 on the US Bubbling Under chart (that's US #106), #15 on the US A/C chart and #7 on the Canadian A/C chart.  I like both versions, but this is an instance where the cover version is better

s4627ZUHV6M 4nqVgRFREpI

Meat Loaf also recorded a version in 1986 that reached #81 in the UK.  It was also really good

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/10/20 at 2:01 pm

The Wind Beneath My Wings-by EVERYONE and his brother.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

-Bette Midler
-Sheena Easton
-Roger Whittaker
-Gladys Knight
-Gary Morris
-Lee Greenwood
-Lou Rawls
-Willie Nelson
-Etc, etc.

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/7032/versions

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/20 at 11:15 pm

Here are two actors who briefly dabbled in music back in the day.  Nick Jameson was once upon a time a member of Foghat.  Jack Wagner is a well-known soap star and also well-known for his 1984 Top 10 hit All I need

Weatherman - Nick Jameson (1986), peaked at US #95
F7L97CH7nb0

Weatherman says - Jack Wagner (1987), peaked at US #67
fx70Ac1sHZ4

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/20 at 11:23 pm

Here is White flags by Blue Oyster Cult from 1985.  Originally written by Canadian brothers Hughie and Gordie Leggat and recorded under the name Leggat in 1982.  Neither version was a hit, but both were released as singles.  This song in general is fantastic and both versions are great!

48YdvHjgFps P6gkzPtTzxM

Written By: Henk on 07/21/20 at 1:09 pm

Love Will Tear Us Apart - originally by Joy Division (recorded in 1979, so technically a 1970s song, but released in 1980), covered by Paul Young (1984) (and many many others that probably did a better job!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=674KGKRQBPE  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrc1GB7YVe0

Written By: Henk on 07/21/20 at 1:23 pm

Fantasy Island is a 1982 song by Dutch band The Millionaires. It was originally sung in Dutch and entered Dutch preliminaries for the 1982 Eurovision Song Contest, but it didn't win the nomination. It failed to make a big dent in Dutch Top 40 as well, peaking only at #31.
It was then somehow handed to British pop trio Tight Fit, who took the song all the way to #5 in UK the same year!

Fantasy Island - The Millionaires (original Dutch version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ym4GRuGvfw

Fantasy Island - The Millionaires (English version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjpD4ABpvY

Fantasy Island - Tight Fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNHydGwwuKA

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/20 at 6:28 pm

In 1982, a British group called Modern Romance peaked at #4 in the UK with a fantastic song called Best years of our lives  The next year, a Canadian group called Mens Room recorded a version, and while it was never released as a single, it appears on the soundtrack to the 1983 film Private School starring Matthew Modine. 

9QxTTesvueo T4Csyk4sk9M

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/20 at 6:59 pm

Here is Young at heart by a Scottish group called The Bluebells.  Released in 1984, it reached #8 in the UK that same year (a 1993 re-release would top the UK chart).  The song was written by Bluebells member Robert Hodgens and the three girls of Bananarama and originally appeared as an album track on Bananarama's debut album Deep Sea Skiving in 1983

e7n53nIBb3g pvx7YtPwDuo

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/21 at 4:39 am

Here is a song called One Step Closer by Marilyn Martin.  It was an album track from her 1986 self-titled debut album.  Later that year, it was covered by a singer named Gavin Christopher as One Step Closer to You and peaked at #22 in the US and #35 in Canada.  His version is IMO one of the best singles of the 80s

7aYusvueSPc 4Hj8YcqKWEE

Written By: robby76 on 02/02/21 at 10:04 am

Eighth Wonder for the UK and Martika for the US...

I'm giving the edge to Eighth Wonder.

mi8XSJWz1R43eR8hFDiRt0

Written By: whistledog on 02/02/21 at 2:50 pm

^ I had no idea Martika did a version of that.  She should have released hers as a single and gave Eighth Wonder a run for their money.  While not a big success in North America, the Eighth Wonder did peak at #56 in the US and was a Top 10 Club hit

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/02/21 at 5:06 pm

^ I had no idea Martika did a version of that.  She should have released hers as a single and gave Eighth Wonder a run for their money.  While not a big success in North America, the Eighth Wonder did peak at #56 in the US and was a Top 10 Club hit

That Martika album is one of my favorites. I never knew that song was a cover.

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/21 at 2:35 am

Heart and Soul
Exile, 1981 and Huey Lewis and the News, 1984

Exile's version only reached #2 on the US Bubbling Under Chart (US #102), but it peaked at #54 in the UK, charting higher there than Huey's version which only made UK #61

pBCrrniVZZE 8TdaXhpjHws

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/21 at 9:44 pm

In 1985, a Lionel Richie-less Commodores had a MASSIVE hit with Nightshift, a song written as a tribute to the late R&B singers Marvin Gaye and Jackie Wilson, who both died in 1984.  That same year, a Jamaican singer named Winston Groovy recorded a reggae version and added lyrics as a tribute to Bob Marley.  This version reached #83 in the UK chart and was quite well done!

FrkEDe6Ljqs qPdfLGQPUmU

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/21 at 10:02 pm

In 1984, a British singer named Kerry Delius released a single titled They Say It's Gonna Rain.  While her version never charted, a 1985 cover version by British Hi-NRG artist Hazell Dean peaked at #58 in the UK and is the much better version, though both versions are quite good

Euxu6PuxGXc SP44iYQrGZc

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/21 at 10:35 pm

In 1985, David Cassidy had a Top 10 hit in the UK called The Last Kiss which featured George Michael on backing vocals.  This song was previously recorded by Cliff Richard as an album track in 1981 under the title Young Love and featured different lyrics.  I don't know why Cliff's original was not released as a single as it is quite good!

saL4G7oIB1o 9pOUGR-v514

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/21 at 3:23 pm

Today, I have been trying to work out that "Private Dancer" recorded by Tina Turner in 1984 was first recorded by British rock band Dire Straits, knowing it was written by Mark Knopfler. But I cannot find any recording of the song by Dire Straits online.

So, is "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner a cover or not?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/21 at 3:59 pm

Today, I have been trying to work out that "Private Dancer" recorded by Tina Turner in 1984 was first recorded by British rock band Dire Straits, knowing it was written by Mark Knopfler. But I cannot find any recording of the song by Dire Straits online.

https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/142953
That is a recording of Tina Turner singing the said song, I was looking for an original Dire Straits version.

also, I would have to pay to listen to that on the link you submitted.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/21 at 12:37 pm

As I have always understood it, Mark wrote that song for Tina.  All of the members of Dire Straits perform on the song

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/21 at 2:04 pm

As I have always understood it, Mark wrote that song for Tina.  All of the members of Dire Straits perform on the song
Thank you for confirming that for me, I was hoping for one inspirational moment.

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/21 at 1:51 am

Original:  F.R. David - Words
J0tUssaXHUI

Cover:  The Tremeloes - Words
hWPwb3a2YXY

F.R. David is from France and Words was his only single to chart in the UK and North America.  While it never reached the mainstream here in Canada, it did peak at #9 on the Adult Contemporary chart

The Tremeloes are a British band who were quite popular in their native land in the 60s, charting a total of 21 UK Top 40 hits between 1962-1971.  They even reached North America, charting 3 US Top 40 and 4 Canadian Top 40 hits between 1967-1968.  Words was their first UK hit since 1971, and their final charting single

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/21 at 2:01 am

Original:  Louise Tucker - Midnight Blue
FRVFVhWdlPw

Cover:  Piet Knarren - Midnight Blue
QOCHPTantic

Always thought it was weird the Louise Tucker original was not a Top 40 hit in the UK considering she is British.  Piet Knarren is from The Netherlands, and I quite like his version alot.  Midnight Blue is based on Piano Sonata No. 8 by Ludwig Van Beethoven

Written By: whistledog on 03/22/21 at 12:02 pm

Original:  Bryan Adams - Lonely Nights
nwXsh7bYN_c

Cover:  Uriah Heep - Lonely Nights
iEdgOvnbmbA

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/21 at 3:59 am

Here is one I didn't know about until just now.  I grew up with the original.  Didn't know there was a cover ...

Original:  Dalbello - Gonna get Close to You
e-e-lZekd2Y

Cover:  Queensryche - Gonna Get Close to You
qWjSfNHjIuI

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/21 at 11:20 pm

In 1980, American group The Romantics had a popular hit called What I Like About You.  While it only reached #49 in the US, a 1989 cover version by American singer Michael Morales peaked at US #28.  Despite the higher chart peak, Morales' version is considered somewhat obscure and The Romantics still have the better known version.  Here in Canada, the Romantics original failed to chart and the Morales version only reached #51, 2while neither version charted in the UK

The Romantics - What I Like About You (1980)
Rqnw5IfbZOU

Michael Morales - What I Like About You (1989)
ozP6Bc8aoWI

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/21 at 11:30 pm

In 1983, Paul Young released the single Come Back and Stay and by 1984, it had become a Top 5 hit in the UK and his first Top 40 hit in the US.  It was written and originally recorded in 1981 by an American singer named Jack Lee, whose version was never a single.  Did you know almost every song Paul Young is known for is a cover song?

Paul Young - Come Back and Stay (1983)
aeeJhEpeUfc

Jack Lee - Come Back and Stay (1981)
XkKuQdf7wOw

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/21 at 11:34 pm

Did you know almost every song Paul Young is known for is a cover song?

Daryl Hall was once quoted as saying Paul Young's 1985 version of Everytime You Go Away was better than the one he wrote and recorded with John Oates in 1980.  At the time, anyone who had the H&O album Voices might have recognized the song, but other than that, Paul Young was a young emerging UK singer with a brand new song that had never been heard before and to this day, remains his signature song!

Paul Young - Everytime You Go Away (1985)
nfk6sCzRTbM

Daryl Hall and John Oates - Everytime You Go Away (1980)
Tlz8qHFDbkI

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/21 at 11:54 pm

In 1982, British recording artist Mike Oldfield released a single titled Family Man featuring vocals by a Scottish singer named Maggie Reilly.  While it failed to chart in the US, it peaked at #45 in the UK.  The same year, Hall and Oates recorded a version for their album H2O and in 1983, decided to release it as a single where it peaked at #6 in the US and #15 in the UK.

At the time of single release, it was decided the H&O version not be released in Canada because the Oldfield version had reached #28 and was still popular at the time, so Canada got an exclusive single release called Italian Girls and it peaked at #24.  I may be a little biased, but I prefer the Oldfield version mostly because I think the song sounds better sung by a female and Oldfield's guitar solo also sounds better than GE Smith's on the H&O version.

Daryl Hall and John Oates - Family Man (1983)
wXSeuPf4--U

Mike Oldfield - Family Man (1982)
HC-nATyudCo

Check for new replies or respond here...