inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80s Soundtrack songs

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 12:17 am

Let's begin with a well known song from a movie that is beloved, and a lesser known song from the sequel that not many loved (lol)

Arthur's theme (best that you can do) by Christopher Cross is the title song from the 1981 film Arthur starring Dudley Moore and Liza Minelli.  It topped the US chart, peaked at #2 in Canada, #7 in the UK, and went on to become one of the biggest and most recognizable hits of the decade.  It also won both the 1982 Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for "Best Original Song". 

A sequel followed in 1988 called Arthur 2: On the Rocks and the title song Love is my decision was performed by Chris De Burgh.  Like the film, the song is not well remembered, and (if my research has served me well), only charted in Canada where it peaked at #59

qqGWOxu_H4I mukAaAC-aSA

Subject: Re: Favourite 80s Soundtrack songs

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/20 at 3:08 am

One of my favourite films ever is the 1985 comedy National Lampoon's European Vacation, but the songs within the film are often overlooked, mostly because the film had no physical soundtrack release, nor any hit singles (Some like it hot by The Power Station is featured in the film, but had already been a hit months before the film's release and was not released as a single from the film).

There are two songs in the film that I always thought should have been singles though:  The first one is called New looks by Dr. John.  The second is called Back in America by Network.  To my knowledge, the band Network only existed for just that one song; two of the members of the group had previously been in an early 80s band called LeRoux (best known for the 1982 US Top 20 hit Nobody said it was easy)

AHMj1qvcwsY US_Wcp4LR38

Written By: robby76 on 04/28/20 at 7:49 am

A sequel followed in 1988 called Arthur 2: On the Rocks and the title song Love is my decision was performed by Chris De Burgh.  Like the film, the song is not well remembered, and (if my research has served me well), only charted in Canada where it peaked at #59

The Chris De Burgh track is okay. Pleasant enough lol. I don't think I ever watched the sequel. Love "Arthur's Theme" though.

A few years back I decided on catching up on 80s films I never saw back in the day. "Can't Buy Me Love" was one of them. When I heard this track in the background of one scene, the memories came flooding back. I'd completely forgotten about "One Lover At A Time" by Atlantic Starr. My sister had it on cassette and I remember loving it.

fShLOoBrjxo

Written By: robby76 on 04/28/20 at 7:58 am

I never watched "License To Kill" as I was never into Bond movies, but this was a great hit for Gladys Knight. That bridge part where she sings "til their dying day, til their dying day...". Just amazing.

e1iRaS3gqws

Written By: pell on 04/29/20 at 12:07 am

I've always liked Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin's duet "Separate Lives" from "White Nights".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkxLTZm-6OE

Stephen Bishop's "It Might Be You" from "Tootsie" always takes me back to being a kid in the early 80s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9AVoIROBt0

Written By: robby76 on 04/29/20 at 7:44 am

I've always liked Phil Collins and Marilyn Martin's duet "Separate Lives" from "White Nights".

Great track! Phil Collins was actually a big part of the 80s for me, despite me not buying any of his records lol. He's just one of those legendary acts. Tina Turner the same too.

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/01/20 at 7:05 pm

Wow too many to list. I’ll start.

Whole albums:
Flashdance
Dirty dancing
Breakfast club
Running scared
Planes trains and automobiles
Footloose
Heathers- I was too riveted on the synth sounds to pay any real attention to the movie. Sounds like the whole thing was scored on a Roland d50.

Songs:
Goonies r good enough
Hole in my heart from vibes
National lampoons vacation- holiday road and Christmas vacation
Axel f and shakedown from Beverly Hills cop
Living in America from rocky iv
On the dark side from Eddie and the Cruisers
We don’t need another hero from mad max beyond thunderdome

Written By: robby76 on 05/01/20 at 9:59 pm

Whole albums:
Flashdance
Dirty dancing
Footloose

Songs:
Goonies r good enough
We don’t need another hero from mad max beyond thunderdome

Great songs there! Those albums were big parts of my childhood too. I may as well go ahead and put this here seeing as we've mentioned Footloose.

s7FGbhpr2pg

Written By: robby76 on 05/03/20 at 9:34 am

I only discovered this song in the 2000s. Never seen the film, but I like it. Was happy to see it included in Stranger Things on Netflix.

_2hawbp5XT4

Written By: robby76 on 05/03/20 at 10:51 am

Don't think this was a hit, but I do like it. Great film as well!

30sYk9B4OqU

Written By: Slashpop on 05/04/20 at 4:40 am

Most of songs on these soundtracks:

Pretty in Pink
Lost Boys
Repo Man
Return of the Living Dead

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/20 at 6:20 pm

Don't think this was a hit, but I do like it. Great film as well!

As far as I know, it was not a single, but I like that one as well.  I never get tired of Teen Wolf.  It's so good!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/20 at 6:28 pm

Streets of Fire-Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eln48BCELk

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/20 at 6:30 pm

One of my favourite comedies of the 80s was the 1985 film Once Bitten starring Jim Carrey and Lauren Hutton.  From that soundtrack, 2 singles were released:  Once bitten by 3 Speed and Hands off by Maria Vidal.  Neither one were mainstream hits, but they should have been.  I love both these …

b0C3SV2ePGg MMXSi0wW6vg

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/20 at 6:41 pm

Yes please!  I love that song so much.  It was written by Jim Steinman, and here's some interesting trivia:  Part of the chorus are lyrics that were originally part of the theme song (also written by Steinman) for a short-lived TV series in 1979 called Delta House.  Lyrics from that tv theme song were also incorporated in the 1981 hit Dead ringer for love by Meat Loaf and Cher.  I often jokingly refer to all three as the National Lampoon's Jim Steinman Trilogy lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/20 at 7:00 pm

Yes please!  I love that song so much.  It was written by Jim Steinman, and here's some interesting trivia:  Part of the chorus are lyrics that were originally part of the theme song (also written by Steinman) for a short-lived TV series in 1979 called Delta House.  Lyrics from that tv theme song were also incorporated in the 1981 hit Dead ringer for love by Meat Loaf and Cher.  I often jokingly refer to all three as the National Lampoon's Jim Steinman Trilogy lol

I really love Jim Steinman's music. He has written some very powerful songs-like Tonight Is What It Means To Be Young, and a lot of the stuff he wrote for Meatloaf.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/20 at 4:41 pm

"If We Hold on Together" the theme song to the 1988 film The Land Before Time, and is performed by Diana Ross. Played during the film's ending credits, it was released on the film's soundtrack as well as the Ross album The Force Behind the Power. The song was written by James Horner and Will Jennings. Released as a single it reached the top 30 on the US adult contemporary chart, as well as giving Ross her biggest hit ever in Japan (No. 1) and later reaching No. 11 in the UK.

G2dm1RF5RmA

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/22/21 at 10:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eln48BCELk

Cat

Yes, yes, yes! Streets of Fire was one of the first movies I ever saw in a theater as a child. I remember how epic it was when Ellen Aim sang that song. I was like, "Whoa...Holy Crap!" lol

Check for new replies or respond here...