inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Samples of 80s songs from any decade

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 12:41 pm

A lot of songs today use samples from 80s songs and a lot of them are very well done.  Got any favourites?

Here's one from 2019 called Turn me on by DJs Oliver Heldens and Riton featuring singer Vula Malinga.  It samples the 1982 hit Don't go by Yaz/Yazoo.  Both songs were Top 20 hits in the UK and both also reached #1 on the US dance chart

Ifq4NQWwVpg _sQGwDeambg

Subject: Re: Samples of 80s songs from any decade

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 1:01 pm

One of my absolute favourite songs of the 80s was Valerie by Steve Winwood.  While both the 1982 original and 1987 remix were hits in the US and UK, the latter was the Top 40.  Meanwhile both versions reached the Top 40 in Canada.  In 2004, Swedish DJ Eric Prydz sampled it in his dance smash hit Call on me, but what you may not know is that it technically is not a sample.  Winwood was so impressed with what Prydz had done, he re-recorded his vocals to better fit the track.  Prydz' version is best remembered for its music video (not shown here, for obvious reasons) that was so popular, it inspired a series of dance workout videos in Europe

3p60xYFuAnY xOTjkQMdF6o

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/20 at 1:10 pm

Here's one from one 80s band to another …

In 2003, Simply Red had a surprise hit called Sunrise that peaked at #7 in the UK, #3 in Canada, and #5 on the US Adult Contemporary chart.  It samples the 1981 classic I can't go for that (no can do) by Hall and Oates

PE3g2zeBVQQ ccenFp_3kq8

Written By: nally on 05/02/20 at 4:26 pm

A classic example is "Superfreak" by Rick James (1981), which M.C. Hammer sampled in his 1990 hit "U Can't Touch This"!

Another one I like is "Tainted Love" by Softcell (1981) sampled by Rihanna in her 2006 hit "SOS".

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/03/20 at 12:51 am

In 1993 SWV sampled Human Nature by Michael Jackson with their song Right Here.

Written By: nally on 05/03/20 at 11:21 am

"Under Pressure" by Queen featuring David Bowie (1981) in "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice (1990) also comes to mind.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/03/20 at 11:42 am

Stevie Nicks
"Edge of Seventeen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8-4tjPxD8

Destiny's Child
"Bootylicious"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV1Kt9M5ON8

Written By: nally on 05/03/20 at 2:24 pm

Another one:

"How Soon Is Now" by The Smiths (1984) is sampled in "Hippychick" by Soho (1990). The latter begins exactly the same way, with the riff/hook, but then the techno-beat kicks in.

ex9uySILhIY 3Y6VNI1aC3Y

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/03/20 at 5:05 pm

The Men In Black theme sampled Forget Me Nots by Patrice Rushen.

Written By: nally on 05/03/20 at 5:09 pm

Oh yes...that's true. "Forget Me Nots" was '82 and Will Smith sang "Men In Black" in 1997 (also starred in said movie).

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/03/20 at 5:15 pm

Oh yes...that's true. "Forget Me Nots" was '82 and Will Smith sang "Men In Black" in 1997 (also starred in said movie).

Speaking of true... By spandeau ballet. Was sampled by pm dawn for “set adrift on memory bliss”.

Written By: nally on 05/03/20 at 5:20 pm

Speaking of true... By spandeau ballet. Was sampled by pm dawn for “set adrift on memory bliss”.

Well spotted! O0

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/09/20 at 2:23 pm

Regulate by Warren G sampled I Keep Forgetting by Michael McDonald.

Written By: nally on 05/10/20 at 6:37 pm

Regulate by Warren G sampled I Keep Forgetting by Michael McDonald.

yeah...that was one that I didn't care for. ::)

There was also "I Think I'm In Love With You" by Jessica Simpson (2000), which took a sample from John Mellencamp's 1982 hit "Jack & Diane." I didn't care for that either. 8-P That was a rare case of a white non-rap singer sampling another song.

Written By: nally on 05/29/20 at 5:22 pm

Tom Tom Club's "Genius Of Love" (1981/82) was sampled in Mariah Carey's 1995 hit "Fantasy" (which even contained part of the original late in the song) as well as in "Return Of The Mack" by Mark Morrison in 1997 (rhythm track only).

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/29/20 at 5:33 pm

Centuries by Fall Out Boy sampled the melody from Toms Diner by Suzanne Vega, and even included a small snippet of her actual vocal.

Also I don’t know if you could call it a sample but on Rainbow by Kacey Musgraves, part of the melody comes right from The Search Is Over by Survivor. That stood out the first time I heard her song which was on a TV performance.

Then more on the country side, Old Alabama by Brad Paisley sampled Mountain Music by Alabama, while namedropping other Alabama song references.

Written By: nally on 06/11/20 at 11:57 am

Centuries by Fall Out Boy sampled the melody from Toms Diner by Suzanne Vega, and even included a small snippet of her actual vocal.

...and I keep forgetting that "Tom's Diner" was originally recorded in 1987 (not only that, its roots can be traced back to 1982, when Suzanne got the inspiration to write it). Yes, it became a big hit for her in '90 (with the techno beat), but the original version from 1987 appears on her album Solitude Standing. O0

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/20 at 8:34 pm

Here is a 2009 hit called So Human by Lady Sovereign.  It samples the 1985 hit Close to Me by The Cure.  Neither songs charted in the US or Canada, but they both reached the UK Top 40

TAO9EFY0Fm4 FY-zoTZjSVM

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/20 at 8:39 pm

Here is a 2007 song titled Relax, take it easy by British singer Mika.  It is based on the 1986 hit (I just) Died in Your Arms by British group Cutting Crew.  I remember when the Mika version came out, I loved it right away because I recognized the sample instantly and thought it was very well done!

RVmG_d3HKBA 6dOwHzCHfgA

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/20 at 8:50 pm

Here is a 2009 hit called Sunglasses at Night by British rap artist Skepta.  And you guessed it!  It heavily samples the 1984 Corey Hart hit of the same name.  What's interesting about this is that while Skepta's version only peaked at #64 in the UK, the Corey Hart original was never a hit in the UK at all.
While this is not better than the original, I must say that I quite enjoy the rap additions

C2gM7ijqIrU 56HSPQHSqEE

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/20 at 1:39 pm

This is former American Idol contestant Jordin Sparks with the 2009 hit S.O.S. (Let the Music Play).  This never reached the US Hot 100, but peaked at #13 in the UK, #46 in Canada and also reached #1 on the US Dance Chart.  It's more of a cover than a sample, but elements from the 1984 Shannon original are there

jWE0vdJeNbU _-0sUuGufmw

Written By: whistledog on 10/04/20 at 1:52 pm

Here is the 2020 hit What's Love got to Do With It by Norewgian DJ Kygo and legendary American singer Tina Turner.  What's great about this one was that while the music from the 1984 original is being sampled, Tina re-recorded the lyrics for Kygo and it sounds fantastic!  Like most Kygo songs, this was a bigger hit in Europe than it was in North America.  It peaked at #31 in the UK #52 in Canada, and #1 on the US Bubbling Under Chart (for those not in the know, that means US #101)

guwyxeJXipA oGpFcHTxjZs

Written By: wagonman76 on 10/04/20 at 2:29 pm

Here is the 2020 hit What's Love got to Do With It by Norewgian DJ Kygo and legendary American singer Tina Turner.  What's great about this one was that while the music from the 1984 original is being sampled, Tina re-recorded the lyrics for Kygo and it sounds fantastic!  Like most Kygo songs, this was a bigger hit in Europe than it was in North America.  It peaked at #31 in the UK #52 in Canada, and #1 on the US Bubbling Under Chart (for those not in the know, that means US #101)

guwyxeJXipA oGpFcHTxjZs

I first think of the Warren G version in 96.

Written By: nally on 10/04/20 at 3:01 pm

Here's another one:

"Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by The Clash (1983) was sampled in "The Globe" by Big Audio Dynamite (1992). Coincidentally, Mick Jones, who was a member of both bands, sang lead on both songs. (He's not to be confused with the same-named member of Foreigner.)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/04/20 at 10:20 pm

Tag Team's 1993 smash -

Tag Team - Whoomp There It Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCEr327W44

It sampled this 1980 Disco hit in a big way -

Kano - I'm Ready (1980)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Simila8JQRI

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/20 at 10:19 am

Here is a fantastic song from 2020 titled This Love by a British act called Uniting Nations.  It samples the 1986 hit Is this Love by Survivor. 

RM5WKpNUN6w d812E8q7I4A

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/20 at 7:50 pm

Here is a 1999 single (was a hit in 2000) called Everybody by Progress featuring Boy Wunda.  It features a well recognizable sample from the 1986 hit Papa Don't Preach by Madonna

oP--4ELAVug G333Is7VPOg

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/20 at 7:57 pm

More Madonna you say?  Here is one from 1998 called If You Buy This Record Your Life Will Be Better By The Tamperer featuring Maya.  It samples the 1984 hit Material Girl

pFNcBB3nZok 6p-lDYPR2P8

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/20 at 8:01 pm

A Madonna trilogy you say?  In 2003, Australian singer Dannii Minogue released a single titled Don't Wanna Lose This Feeling.  In some countries, it was released as a remix titled Don't Wanna Lose This Groove as a mashup with the 1985 hit Into the Groove by Madonna and it worked very well.  So much in fact that it is the mash up that appears on Dannii's 2013 Greatest Hits album

DnL9fGcwGFM 52iW3lcpK5M

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/20 at 8:06 pm

Speaking of Dannii Minogue ... In 2002, she released a single titled I Begin to Wonder, however in some countries including Canada (I bought the CD Single the day it was released), it was released as Begin to Spin Me Round as a mashup with the 1985 Dead or Alive hit You Spin Me Around (Like A Record).  I still love this one a lot.  Back in the day, and even still today, Dannii was one of my celebrity crushes

YbYrEKIz1wU PGNiXGX2nLU

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/20 at 6:53 pm

Here is a 2002 hit called Desire by a German duo called Blank and Jones.  It samples the infamous 1985 single Oh Yeah by Yello

udv30vPizLk 6jJkdRaa04g

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/20 at 7:04 pm

I was a massive fan of this one when it came out in 2005.  It's a group called D.O.N.S. with a remix/sample of the 1989 hit Pump Up the Jam by Technotronic

qwyBf_UUb2g 9EcjWd-O4jI

Written By: whistledog on 10/19/20 at 8:15 pm

In the very first post in this thread, I talked about the 1982 hit Don't Go by Yaz(oo).  Here are two more songs that sample it, both from 2006.  The one on the left is called Don't Go by a French project called Starting Rock featuring Diva Avari.  The one on the right is called Let's Go by Canadian singer Shawn Desman

o4triOQok7A YLJGdDeEnN4

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/05/20 at 11:45 am

EgT_us6AsDg
Love You Like A Love Song, Selena Gomez, 2011

dRHetRTOD1Q
It’s A Sin, Pet Shop Boys, 1987

Can’t miss the unique chord progression of the same pulsing 8th notes.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/20/20 at 10:27 pm

Random vocal sample:

GMtCbC_GUUM
Latin Party - Esta Loca (1989)

FzG4uDgje3M
El Chombo - Dame Tu Cosita (2018)

"WEEEPAAA!"

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/20 at 7:04 pm

Here is one that is not technically a sample, but it does borrow elements.  If you listen to new music, you might be familiar with the current chart hit Kings and Queens by Ava Max, but do you recognize that chorus?  It's the melody from the 1986 Bonnie Tyler hit If You Were A Woman (and I Was a Man)

jH1RNk8954Q rJOo67DtZAY

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/21/20 at 11:22 pm

Here is one that is not technically a sample, but it does borrow elements.  If you listen to new music, you might be familiar with the current chart hit Kings and Queens by Ava Max, but do you recognize that chorus?  It's the melody from the 1986 Bonnie Tyler hit If You Were A Woman (and I Was a Man)

Wow. I never thought of that song. But for weeks now I’ve been thinking the chorus melody to Kings and Queens was the same as The Lucky One by Laura Branigan (1984).

XRg0mSg4Htg

Written By: whistledog on 11/21/20 at 11:32 pm

Wow. I never thought of that song. But for weeks now I’ve been thinking the chorus melody to Kings and Queens was the same as The Lucky One by Laura Branigan (1984).

Wow, I can hear the resemblance.  Desmond Child wrote If You Were A Woman and later re-worked it for Bon Jovi as You Give Love a Bad Name.  He was given songwriting credits for Kings and Queens, but sounds like the writer of Lucky One should get the credit instead

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/22/20 at 8:20 pm

Wow, I can hear the resemblance.  Desmond Child wrote If You Were A Woman and later re-worked it for Bon Jovi as You Give Love a Bad Name.  He was given songwriting credits for Kings and Queens, but sounds like the writer of Lucky One should get the credit instead

I’m a big fan of the 80s Bon Jovi and never once did I think of their song while hearing Kings and Queens. All I ever thought of was Lucky One as I’m a huge Branigan fan too. But now you point it out I do hear the similarity. I never heard that particular Bonnie Tyler song until now.

I do think Lucky One sounds a little closer, besides that it was made 2 years earlier. But one thing the other songs have going for them is they both open with that line, just like Kings and Queens. Desmond Child could have certainly been influenced by Branigan.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/23/20 at 3:40 pm

Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric?
QzSM3pRtgcM

Sugarbabes - Freak Like Me
kGSajAGg9h4

Written By: nally on 01/30/21 at 3:03 pm

And speaking of Will Smith...he had a hit song in 1998 called "Just The Two Of Us" which samples...you guessed it...the Grover Washington Jr & Bill Withers 1981 hit song of the same title! (Actually, Will's song not only samples, but also borrows some lines from, the GWJ song.)

Written By: nally on 01/30/21 at 7:19 pm

And another one I did NOT care for: "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, from 1983, sampled by P. Diddy in 1997 for "I'll Be Missing You." :P

Written By: whistledog on 01/31/21 at 9:40 pm

And another one I did NOT care for: "Every Breath You Take" by The Police, from 1983, sampled by P. Diddy in 1997 for "I'll Be Missing You." :P

I wasn't a big fan of that P. Diddy one either.  I get the message behind it, and the music is there, but give me The Police anyday

Written By: nally on 01/31/21 at 9:44 pm

I wasn't a big fan of that P. Diddy one either.  I get the message behind it, and the music is there, but give me The Police anyday

I agree, it was meant as a tribute, but I don't think he needed to use the Police as a background for it. Still, Diddy went on to release a bunch of hit records (most of which sampled other songs, which is typical of rap artists anyways).

Check for new replies or respond here...