inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which Rock Band Was More Popular In 1988: Def Leppard OR U2?

Written By: Videl Satan on 06/09/20 at 4:02 pm

And why?

I personally think Def Leppard was much bigger and far more mainstream and more loved than U2 (especially among women), but I could be wrong as I wasn't even alive in 1988.

Discuss.

Subject: Re: Which Rock Band Was More Popular In 1988: Def Leppard OR U2?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/20 at 4:21 pm

My one desire!

Written By: karen on 06/09/20 at 4:26 pm

I would say U2 were more popular in the U.K.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/20 at 6:22 pm

U2!

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/09/20 at 8:41 pm

I'm not a fan, but in the US it was U2, absolutely and unequivocally.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/09/20 at 9:28 pm

It’s really close. Both were really popular in that timeframe. But looking at the singles from 87-88, I’d have to say Def Leppard had 1 or 2 more big hits at the time. I remember more from Def Leppard too.

Though I did just discover that Angel of Harlem was by U2. Didn’t know that. I love that song.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/10/20 at 8:17 am

Def Leppard, as they were popular with radio hits from the beginning (Animal) to the end (Armageddon It), with even bigger hits Hysteria, Pour Some Sugar On Me and Love Bites coming in the middle. Guns 'n Roses arguably was just as popular in the second half of the year with Appetite For Destruction and the hits Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child Of Mine, whereas U2's popularity was mostly in the first half of the year, though they did close out '88 with Desire and Angel of Harlem. Also, don't forget Aerosmith was enjoying a pretty big renaissance that year as well.

Written By: robby76 on 06/10/20 at 8:26 am

Bearing in mind I was 12 yrs old, I'd say Def Leppard. All the guys were into them. I don't think I even knew who U2 were in 1988 lol.

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/20 at 10:32 am

In Canada, Def Leppard were more popular that year.  Here are some numbers from the Canadian chart:

Def Leppard released Hysteria in 1987.  By 1989, 7 singles were released from the album (6 which reached the Top 30), and the album itself spent 105 consecutive weeks in the chart, eventually reaching Diamond (1 million copies).  It was the 25th best selling album of 1987, the 7th best selling album of 1988 and the 30th best selling album of 1989

Hair metal was really huge during that time and Def Leppard rode it to the finish line!

Written By: gunsnroses on 07/26/20 at 2:00 pm

Erasure.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/26/20 at 4:48 pm

Erasure.

That might have been a regional thing. Are you from the east or west coast where thy might have been bigger?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 4:53 pm

Erasure.

That might have been a regional thing. Are you from the east or west coast where thy might have been bigger?
Erasure are a synth-pop duo, not really a band, for a pop band consists of several members.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/23/21 at 6:52 pm

It's kind of comparing apples and oranges. U2 was political and more serious, Def Lepard was fun, campy metal.
They were both very popular, but among different types of rock fans. IMO.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/23/21 at 8:46 pm

It's kind of comparing apples and oranges. U2 was political and more serious, Def Lepard was fun, campy metal.
They were both very popular, but among different types of rock fans. IMO.  :)

I agree. I remember watching their music videos when I was a kid in the 80s. I would say I liked both U2 and Def Leppard.

Check for new replies or respond here...