inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was there a 'dark' era in the 80s?

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/04/20 at 5:59 pm

So if we think of 'dark', we would think of today's era that started in Late 2018/19 (E-Boy Era) or the Grunge era of the Early/Mid 90s. What about the 80s? Because as mc98 said, every decade goes through a dark era

Subject: Re: Was there a 'dark' era in the 80s?

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/04/20 at 6:27 pm

I wasn't there at the time, but it seems to me like the entire decade had a dark feel (as well as a light/upbeat feel, mixed with the dark feel). The Cold War and threat of nuclear annihilation, two Recessions, the Challenger Explosion, the AIDS crisis, Iran Contra, the president getting shot (but surviving), the beginnings of the modern Culture Wars, the music often having a dark and ethereal feel (exemplified by artists like The Smiths, The Cure, and Joy Division), the crack epidemic, escalating gang violence, etc.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/04/20 at 7:53 pm

No. The 80s were never "dark". There were some depressing and sad moments/events that happened. But it was a great decade! That's why people in the media refuse to forget the 80s. And people are constantly trying to bring back fads and the music. They were happier times. But unfortunately, it was a once on a lifetime thing. There will never be another decade like it.

Written By: robby76 on 07/09/20 at 10:05 am

If we're talking pop culture, I'd say 1982 and earlier were kinda dark. The whole New Wave / New Romantic era was dark... stuff like Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams", Culture Club's early hits (pre-Karma Chameleon), Soft Cell, The Cure, Human League. The whole goth scene started in the early 80s too.

Obviously I'm generalising a lot - but it was 1983 onwards which brought in the poppier pop.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/09/20 at 11:03 am

I was a young adult throughout the 80's.

I'd say the very early 80's, say 1980 to mid-1981, were on the dark side.  My perspective may be colored by how my personal life was going, however - I was going through a lot of changes on the personal front then.  But I believe this is so - in fact, the "dark" period started in the late 1970s, probably sometime during 1978.  Not that everything was horrible and bleak, just that the air of pessimism was stronger than normal during this period.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/20 at 11:14 am

When did the Goth Era begin?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/09/20 at 11:39 am

I'd say the very early 80's, say 1980 to mid-1981, were on the dark side.  My perspective may be colored by how my personal life was going, however - I was going through a lot of changes on the personal front then.  But I believe this is so - in fact, the "dark" period started in the late 1970s, probably sometime during 1978.  Not that everything was horrible and bleak, just that the air of pessimism was stronger than normal during this period.

That "dark" late 70s period is sometimes referred to as the "era of malaise". Interestingly though, it is during this period that the ideals of the 60s basically finally were realized. There was a Democrat in the White House who openly called himself a pacifist, the war was finally over, there was a vibrant freedom in the air. But---get this---NOBODY NOTICED.  People were cocooning. In discos. Numbing themselves with coke and other drugs.

The "dark period" of the 80s was the one-two punch of the election of Ronald Reagan in September, 1980 and the assassination of John Lennon on December 8, 1980. This ushered in the cultural 80s, which began on the dot in 1981, with a literal bang.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/09/20 at 3:26 pm

The 1970s I think.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/09/20 at 7:49 pm

That "dark period" arguably began with the start of the Iran Hostage Crisis in November 1979. Pretty much all of 1980 and 1981 is seen as an era of malaise. Suddenly, Big Oil was seen as unpopular but trustworthy in terms of "solving the energy crisis", and there was even an ad by the Republican Party in the spring of 1980 during primary season that involved a shrinking dollar bill that reflects the extreme inflation and economic problems brought about by overspending. Let's also not forget the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that same year well, increasing Cold War tensions at its highest level in more than a decade. The AIDS/Tylenol scares early in the Reagan Era didn't help. But 1983 onwards is a lot like a typical summer days in many ways, lots of sun in the morning (including 1984 representing Reagan's "Morning In America" political campaign), building clouds in the afternoon followed by brief but intense thuderstorms that eventually clear out and get forgotten, including Challenger, Chernobyl, the deadly 1985 plane crashes, and the 1987 Stock Market Crash. Then the storms cleared out and 1988 and especially 1989 ended the decade on a high note with the quick fall of the Cold War and resillent recovery from that 1987 crash. The next dark period was pretty brief and pretty much only encompassed around August of 1990 (Gulf War starts) until late 1991/early 1992 (recession ends). If you get away from that grunge and gangsta rap, the '90s were still a pretty bright decade.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/20 at 2:58 pm

I would say maybe early 80's.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/20 at 4:51 pm

On The Dark Side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgIsyoxZ7Uw

Cat

Written By: Slashpop on 07/11/20 at 6:19 am

The goth subculture began around the early 80s like 1981 or so but would be more widespread around the mid 80s. Bands like Bauhaus, Siouxie and Banshees and the Cure all have hits from the very end of the 1970s. Some of their earlier music would be classified as post punk.

Goth wasn't fully mainstream as a subculture although bands like sisters of mercy and the ones mentioned did have popular hits songs that were somewhat mainstream.

Maybe the late 70s/early 80s could be seen as  a dark period based on the political issues and rebellious music that was a reaction to what was happening at that time but was still part of popular culture; punk, new wave, post-punk etc

Depends how you see it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/20 at 3:30 pm

I usually refer to the '80s as the Dark Ages because that wasn't a great time for me. My dark period started about the same time yours did-the late '70s and lasted until about '89. (1988 was the worst!) After a few years of licking my wounds, it wasn't until about '92 that the clouds started to part and sunshine started to peek through and I was able to put that chapter of my life behind me and move on.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 07/11/20 at 3:44 pm

I usually refer to the '80s as the Dark Ages because that wasn't a great time for me. My dark period started about the same time yours did-the late '70s and lasted until about '89. (1988 was the worst!) After a few years of licking my wounds, it wasn't until about '92 that the clouds started to part and sunshine started to peek through and I was able to put that chapter of my life behind me and move on.

Cat

An entire decade?...that's too bad, Cat. Do you feel like you missed out on enjoying the culture at the time?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/20 at 3:50 pm

An entire decade?...that's too bad, Cat. Do you feel like you missed out on enjoying the culture at the time?

No. The culture was/is all around. I would have had to been living on an island to miss out on the culture. Music was one of the things that help me through it all.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 07/11/20 at 6:50 pm

No. The culture was/is all around. I would have had to been living on an island to miss out on the culture. Music was one of the things that help me through it all.

Cat

Oh good! That's really a good thing. Music in the 80s WAS at it's best! So, I can understand why it helped you through.  :)

Written By: Early2010sGuy on 07/11/20 at 7:42 pm

Cat

So sorry to hear that you didn't have a great 80s... At least you got through it  :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/11/20 at 8:18 pm

Cat

Sorry to hear that the 80's was such a rough time!    :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/20 at 2:04 pm

Thanks, everyone. As the old saying goes, "That which does not break you, makes you stronger." Words I lived by.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...