inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Were the 1980s Like?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/10/20 at 2:43 am

For those of you who lived through the 80s, what was it like? I mean the vibe and atmosphere. I try to envision it and I can imagine everything is bliss compared to today but I never lived through it so I don't know. I know for music, '80s music is the last sound to be truly dated, as if it's out of place and out of this world. Anyways, what was like living through this era for you?

Subject: Re: What Were the 1980s Like?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/20 at 3:18 am

When record shops were still on top, and vinyl was all that they stocked.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/20 at 3:04 pm

When record shops were still on top, and vinyl was all that they stocked.

I do remember record shops and them selling vinyls, just walking into one was an experience. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/20 at 4:06 pm

I do remember record shops and them selling vinyls, just walking into one was an experience. :)

Oh yes, vinyl was king until late in the decade (concurrent with cassette tapes)...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/20 at 4:09 pm

The 1980's equated to my twenty-something decade.  I did a lot of clubbing in the latter half of the decade - for a while, I could never be found at home on a Friday or Saturday night.  Stumbled onto this video recently - it struck a chord because it reminded me of dancing during my clubbing days.  The atmosphere, the music, the casual way they danced and dressed are spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp1Ve44-AD8

(Skip the first 30 seconds, some kind of weird drivel)

A few specific caveats on this particular video -

- This could well be a private party where the people know each other
- Whereas I was in my late 20s when I went clubbing, these folks look more early 20s
- Whoever was filming was awfully obvious; he also only filmed girls, many who seemed to "ham it up" for him
- I don't remember that much gum chewing in the clubs (another reason I think it's a private party)
- In suburban Chicagoland, I saw a lot less of the extreme hair colors and makeup than this West Coast filming

Written By: Slim95 on 11/10/20 at 4:18 pm

The 1980's equated to my twenty-something decade.  I did a lot of clubbing in the latter half of the decade - for a while, I could never be found at home on a Friday or Saturday night.  Stumbled onto this video recently - it struck a chord because it reminded me of dancing during my clubbing days.  The atmosphere, the music, the casual way they danced and dressed are spot on.

- Whereas I was in my late 20s when I went clubbing, these folks look more early 20s
- Whoever was filming was awfully obvious; he also only filmed girls, many who seemed to "ham it up" for him
- I don't remember that much gum chewing in the clubs (another reason I think it's a private party)
- In suburban Chicagoland, I saw a lot less of the extreme hair colors and makeup than this West Coast filming

It seemed like such an innocent time. Back when 20 somethings actually went out rather than went on social media.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/20 at 4:27 pm

It seemed like such an innocent time. Back when 20 somethings actually went out rather than went on social media.

Innocent - not so sure about that  ;)  As far as social media, the closest thing for us was watching MTV together with friends.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/10/20 at 4:32 pm

In the UK, strikes, strikes and more strikes!

Written By: violet_shy on 11/10/20 at 4:55 pm

I was just a kid in the 80s, but I remember everything. When it was cool to watch VH1 and MTV. I loved my 80s cartoons but I watched music videos more. I remember the way everyone dressed. My mom had the big, fluffy hair...everyone did. I'd say the atmosphere was happy and everything was at it's best. The greatest playthings and toys were 80s toys. I loved my CPKs Pinnups! To anyone that doesn't know, Cabbage Patch Kids Pinnups were smaller versions of the bigger CPKs dolls. In the 80s, you could actually go out at night. Everyone felt safe and it was fun going on family drives in the evenings to the department stores. They always had neon decor it looked fun and colorful. Going to the cinema was a fun, popular pass time. I can still remember the scent of the popcorn. MTV was the best TV entertainment ever!

Ok...so this is a photo of me in 1987. Wearing what was then called "suspenders". I'm a 1980 baby, so in this photo I was 7.
https://i.ibb.co/BrwsZZ3/20201016-005411.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 11/10/20 at 5:05 pm

I was just a kid in the 80s, but I remember everything. When it was cool to watch VH1 and MTV. I loved my 80s cartoons but I watched music videos more. I remember the way everyone dressed. My mom had the big, fluffy hair...everyone did. I'd say the atmosphere was happy and everything was at it's best. The greatest playthings and toys were 80s toys. I loved my CPKs Pinnups! To anyone that doesn't know, Cabbage Patch Kids Pinnups were smaller versions of the bigger CPKs dolls. In the 80s, you could actually go out at night. Everyone felt safe and it was fun going on family drives in the evenings to the department stores. They always had neon decor it looked fun and colorful. Going to the cinema was a fun, popular pass time. I can still remember the scent of the popcorn. MTV was the best TV entertainment ever!

Ok...so this is a photo of me in 1987. Wearing what was then called "suspenders". I'm a 1980 baby, so in this photo I was 7.

That's cool I didn't know you were an '80s kid.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/20 at 6:07 pm

Not innocent. It was the Reagan era. Reagan legitimized greed. Much of what you see today vis a vis class warfare, corporate greed and the fact that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent is a direct result of the 80s. I told myself I wasn't going to get sucked into any more of these discussions with the 80s worshippers who weren't born at the time but somehow I always do. 

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/10/20 at 6:50 pm

I was an 80s kid. Better or worse is up for opinion, but it was a simpler time in some ways. The last decade without internet or mobile phones for the average person. You had to go out and search for information in magazines and libraries. You were limited to published works that you were allowed access to. For example you couldn’t just google song lyrics or the solution to your Rubik’s cube. Video chat and flat panel TVs were a pipe dream. You either hung out with people personally or called them on the phone. Most families had a single line wired to the wall, and anything outside your immediate calling area was long distance and costly. Everything was physical media and dedicated devices. Phone book, TV guide, etc. Calculator, camcorder, camera, tape or CD player, phone, Rolodex cards, etc. Cable TV was also for the more privileged, most of us only had a few local channels via antenna. At least in my town, home computers were for the privileged.

I lived 5 miles from a town of 400 people, so I was sheltered from the life in bigger cities with schools and parties and nightlife like you see in movies. But a lot of the boys still had the acid washed clothes, untied high tops, and perms or mullets. A lot of the girls had permed hair, only a few as big as on TV. It was cool to have an Atari in the early 80s or a NES in the later 80s. Many towns including mine for a little while had a video arcade, but a quarter per game added up fast. Same with calling on pay phones.

I loved the TV and music at the time. Most shows were highly produced and were family oriented with morals. Music had feel good sounds and the 80s showed an evolving transition in technology from analog to digital.

However it was not an innocent time at all. Lots of trouble to be gotten into. Real problems just like today and they weren’t solved with a simple chat and an awwww like on TV.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/10/20 at 7:18 pm

I was an 80s kid. Better or worse is up for opinion, but it was a simpler time in some ways. The last decade without internet or mobile phones for the average person. You had to go out and search for information in magazines and libraries. You were limited to published works that you were allowed access to. For example you couldn’t just google song lyrics or the solution to your Rubik’s cube. Video chat and flat panel TVs were a pipe dream. You either hung out with people personally or called them on the phone. Most families had a single line wired to the wall, and anything outside your immediate calling area was long distance and costly. Everything was physical media and dedicated devices. Phone book, TV guide, etc. Calculator, camcorder, camera, tape or CD player, phone, Rolodex cards, etc. Cable TV was also for the more privileged, most of us only had a few local channels via antenna. At least in my town, home computers were for the privileged.

I lived 5 miles from a town of 400 people, so I was sheltered from the life in bigger cities with schools and parties and nightlife like you see in movies. But a lot of the boys still had the acid washed clothes, untied high tops, and perms or mullets. A lot of the girls had permed hair, only a few as big as on TV. It was cool to have an Atari in the early 80s or a NES in the later 80s. Many towns including mine for a little while had a video arcade, but a quarter per game added up fast. Same with calling on pay phones.

I loved the TV and music at the time. Most shows were highly produced and were family oriented with morals. Music had feel good sounds and the 80s showed an evolving transition in technology from analog to digital.

However it was not an innocent time at all. Lots of trouble to be gotten into. Real problems just like today and they weren’t solved with a simple chat and an awwww like on TV.

Except for our difference of opinion on the overall quality of 80s music, you have done a very accurate job of describing how  things were. Well done.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/10/20 at 7:43 pm

Think of a time before there was ever a mass shooting at a school - that was the 80's.  Also, there was no significant terrorism here (except isolated stuff like the Unabomber and, closer to home, the Tylenol murders).  But there were still safety/security issues - among them, street gangs had roared back in the 80's, theft and other crimes were moderately high, and there was a big problem with street drugs and associated crimes.  Nonetheless, it was nice to not worry about sending your kid to school and having some wacko go into the school and shoot up random kids and adults.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/20 at 2:09 am

Terrorism continued with the notable bombings related to the Northern Ireland "Troubles" in the UK from the 1970s through to the 1990s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/11/20 at 3:14 am

For those of you who lived through the 80s, what was it like? I mean the vibe and atmosphere. I try to envision it and I can imagine everything is bliss compared to today but I never lived through it so I don't know. I know for music, '80s music is the last sound to be truly dated, as if it's out of place and out of this world. Anyways, what was like living through this era for you?

Very, very conservative and preppy.  :P

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/11/20 at 9:06 am

Very, very conservative and preppy.  :P

It was a lot less politically correct back then compared to today. You didn't have any "cancel culture" (in fact, the U.S. Supreme Court in 1984 ruled that Christmas Nativity scenes were allowed due to being cultural symbols), the word "Oriental" was still common, wearing/owning fur was still considered acceptable (and some pundits still believe so as a means to prevent overpopulation of some species), and etiquette was taken noticeably more seriously than today on average, even if some grumpy old people today still try to cling onto some of those rules. You didn't develop organizations by including minorities for the sake of inclusion, only because they are the best at their field.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/11/20 at 9:35 am

In the Philippines there was Martial Law till the early 1980s, with the imposition of martial law accompanies curfews, the suspension of civil law, civil rights, habeas corpus, and the application or extension of military law or military justice to civilians.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/11/20 at 2:58 pm

You had a president saying that government was the problem because it supported "welfare queens." And the most in the U.S. felt very cocky because we "won" the cold war with the Berlin Wall coming down and the clasp of the Soviet Union (when in reality the U.S. had very little to do with either one of these events).

Fitness was all the rage-from Jane Fonda to Richard Simmons. Along with that, sportswear was fashionable-from legwarmers to sweat bands. Dance clubs were EVERYWHERE. It was not uncommon to go out on a Friday or Saturday night to see some live band or just have a dj to change the music while everyone danced. Some had "Ladies' Night" which were usually fun. I went to one where they had male dancers-a la Chippendales. (I went with my neighbor and we sat at this bar-like table in from of the dance floor and there were 3 other women who we didn't know who also sat at it with us. They had a contest of which table was the loudest/rowdiest would win a bottle of champagne. Well, we won. We did introduced ourselves to our fellow "screamers." Come to find out that I used to work with their husbands.) 

While it MAY seem like it was during peacetime, there were many conflicts-Lebanon in '82, Granada in '83, and Panama in '89 to name a few. 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:09 pm

Oh yes, vinyl was king until late in the decade (concurrent with cassette tapes)...

I still have my cassette tapes, What about you AG?  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:12 pm

Was that Company B "Fascinated"?  :)

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:13 pm

Back when you can have an actual face to face conversation with someone rather than ignoring the hell out of you.

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:15 pm

Innocent - not so sure about that  ;)  As far as social media, the closest thing for us was watching MTV together with friends.

And having girly get-togethers, AG?

Written By: Howard on 11/11/20 at 3:16 pm

I'm an 80's kid too.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 11/11/20 at 7:24 pm

I guess it depends on the person, most people I know who lived in the 80s have a lot of nostalgia for the decade.

I can't really say much as I don't remember living in the 1980s (obviously lol).

I guess a huge difference that you would notice going back to the 80s is how primitive the technology was. No internet, no one had a cell phone (according to every single person I know who lived in the 80s), pretty much no one owned a computer at home (only 8% of US homes had one), no one used CDs (until very late in the decade), most people didn't use VHS until 85/86,  TVs were entirely CRT (no LCD), video gaming was very primitive/8-bit, if you wanted to buy something you used cash or cheques, cars were much less reliable and broke down a lot more, and there were soooo many more differences that I haven't mentioned.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/11/20 at 8:14 pm

I guess it depends on the person, most people I know who lived in the 80s have a lot of nostalgia for the decade.

I can't really say much as I don't remember living in the 1980s (obviously lol).

I guess a huge difference that you would notice going back to the 80s is how primitive the technology was. No internet, no one had a cell phone (according to every single person I know who lived in the 80s), pretty much no one owned a computer at home (only 8% of US homes had one), no one used CDs (until very late in the decade), most people didn't use VHS until 85/86,  TVs were entirely CRT (no LCD), video gaming was very primitive/8-bit, if you wanted to buy something you used cash or cheques, cars were much less reliable and broke down a lot more, and there were soooo many more differences that I haven't mentioned.

What's this  "if you wanted to buy something you used cash or cheques"? Everybody had credit cards in the 80s (or "charge cards" as they were often referred to back then). Truth be told, I kind of wish I hadn't.  ;D  Granted, it wasn't even close to the cashless society we have now, though. And yes, more people used the now almost obsolete paper check for more things back then. Imagine the elderly woman in front of you at the checkout line in the supermarket paying with a check and you'll know what that was like. ;D  Technically, CDS were introduced in 1982 but I don't really recall anybody using them regularly until circa 85/86 at which point they immediately dumped all their albums in that careless way that people do when new technology is introduced. Much later on they wished they hadn't. And rightfully so. I held on to mine.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/11/20 at 8:31 pm

Still have them, though I don't know where all of them are...

And having girly get-togethers, AG?

I didn't go in for "girly get-togethers" much.  I will say that get-togethers were a major part of life for us twenty-somethings then - but most were mixed company.  Which I was fine with.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/11/20 at 10:09 pm

I know you didn't ask me but I wanted to reply anyway lol. The only cassette from the 80s I have is this one that I've had since I was 9.(Yes I actually took a photo if it). Taylor Dayne was one of my favorite singers back then. It is a cassette single of "Love will lead you back". All of my other cassettes are from the 90s.

https://cdn1.bbcode0.com/uploads/2020/11/12/3cafbdcffe4ab6be0d47c4d9b0f14273-full.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 2:24 am

My cassettes have all gone a long time ago, but I kept the home recorded tapes with family talking on them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/20 at 2:32 pm

What's this  "if you wanted to buy something you used cash or cheques"? Everybody had credit cards in the 80s (or "charge cards" as they were often referred to back then). Truth be told, I kind of wish I hadn't.  ;D  Granted, it wasn't even close to the cashless society we have now, though. And yes, more people used the now almost obsolete paper check for more things back then. Imagine the elderly woman in front of you at the checkout line in the supermarket paying with a check and you'll know what that was like. ;D  Technically, CDS were introduced in 1982 but I don't really recall anybody using them regularly until circa 85/86 at which point they immediately dumped all their albums in that careless way that people do when new technology is introduced. Much later on they wished they hadn't. And rightfully so. I held on to mine.

Back in the '80s, I worked with a guy who had 5 & 1/2 kids (wife was expecting #6). He had I don't know how many Visa cards, Master Charge cards, etc but he applied for a Sears card. When the application came back denied because (get this) not enough people in the household. WHAT??!!! He thought that might have been an error-maybe they meant TOO many people in the household so he called Sears. The person he talked to couldn't understand it either and also thought that must have been an error. That person called someone (not too sure who) who came back and said that was the reason. The guy said, "How many people do you need to have to get a Sears card?" So, he never got a Sears card and I don't think he ever applied again. That never made any sense because at the time, I knew single people who had Sears cards.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/20 at 2:35 pm

My cassettes have all gone a long time ago, but I kept the home recorded tapes with family talking on them.

I still have all of my cassettes as well as all my vinyl and CDs. (I play my CDs on a regular basis and even bought a few in the past year.) I did just get rid of a bunch of VHS tapes but still have a bunch left.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/12/20 at 2:39 pm

I still have all of my cassettes as well as all my vinyl and CDs. (I play my CDs on a regular basis and even bought a few in the past year.) I did just get rid of a bunch of VHS tapes but still have a bunch left.

Cat
I still have my vinyl, with no gramophone, I cannot part with them.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/12/20 at 3:07 pm

Cat

I still have my vinyl, with no gramophone, I cannot part with them.

Yes, I have all my vinyl too.  I play it occasionally.  These days, more often than not I digitize my albums as I play them; I still have many yet to digitize.  (I just digitized two vinyl albums yesterday.)  I want to digitize all of my hundreds of albums - alas, the process is time consuming (not to mention I had some technical issues that slowed me down recently; those have been mostly resolved).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/20 at 3:45 pm

Yes, I have all my vinyl too.  I play it occasionally.  These days, more often than not I digitize my albums as I play them; I still have many yet to digitize.  (I just digitized two vinyl albums yesterday.)  I want to digitize all of my hundreds of albums - alas, the process is time consuming (not to mention I had some technical issues that slowed me down recently; those have been mostly resolved).

I thought about doing that and bought a turntable that hooks up to the computer but never really have done it. I find it is easier to just buy a CD of the album and then if I want it on my computer, I just rip it. Even though I have some of my vinyl albums on CD, I still can't part with the vinyl.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/12/20 at 4:03 pm

I thought about doing that and bought a turntable that hooks up to the computer but never really have done it. I find it is easier to just buy a CD of the album and then if I want it on my computer, I just rip it. Even though I have some of my vinyl albums on CD, I still can't part with the vinyl.

Cat

I've certainly done that with some of my albums, just bought the CDs.  There are those odd ones which were never issued on CD (or are very hard to find); I need to digitize those.  I have a device with a USB on one end and "RCA Jack" stereo plugs on the other end, to plug into the output of my stereo (yes, the old-fashioned kind) and I plug the USB into the laptop.  I use a "regular" turntable which is attached to the stereo.  Unconventional, but it works fine.  I run Audacity on the computer to digitize and capture the audio, then export it into mp3s.  The process is time consuming, as I usually have to after-process the mp3s to add all the tags that my player needs (I set up a custom spreadsheet with VBA coding in it to help with setting the tags, geek that I am...)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/20 at 4:09 pm

I've certainly done that with some of my albums, just bought the CDs.  There are those odd ones which were never issued on CD (or are very hard to find); I need to digitize those.  I have a device with a USB on one end and "RCA Jack" stereo plugs on the other end, to plug into the output of my stereo (yes, the old-fashioned kind) and I plug the USB into the laptop.  I use a "regular" turntable which is attached to the stereo.  Unconventional, but it works fine.  I run Audacity on the computer to digitize and capture the audio, then export it into mp3s.  The process is time consuming, as I usually have to after-process the mp3s to add all the tags that my player needs (I set up a custom spreadsheet with VBA coding in it to help with setting the tags, geek that I am...)

Yeah, I have some of those records that no one has heard before.

I don't have them but I think my brother does of records that my grandfather created (as letters to my grandmother). He digitized those and passed them along.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/12/20 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, I have some of those records that no one has heard before.

I don't have them but I think my brother does of records that my grandfather created (as letters to my grandmother). He digitized those and passed them along.

Cat

It's awesome to have records containing your grandfather's letters!  Such a treasure!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/12/20 at 4:48 pm

It's awesome to have records containing your grandfather's letters!  Such a treasure!

I THOUGHT I had them on my computer but I can't find them.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 8:11 pm

What software do you use to digitize albums? I've digitized some albums and cassettes with Audacity. I'm still learning my way around it but it seems to do the trick.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/12/20 at 9:29 pm

What software do you use to digitize albums? I've digitized some albums and cassettes with Audacity. I'm still learning my way around it but it seems to do the trick.

I do use Audacity.  I have a device - a "behringer uca222" (there are likely others) which provides the audio input to the laptop, feeding it the analog audio output from the stereo.  I run Audacity while I have the device plugged in the USB and Audacity digitizes and captures the audio from the uca222 that originates from the stereo.  I don't know every Audacity trick in the book but have found it quite handy for digitizing my albums (and other media types when I need to) and have learned enough tricks to do this successfully.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/12/20 at 9:37 pm

I do use Audacity.  I have a device - a "behringer uca222" (there are likely others) which provides the audio input to the laptop, feeding it the analog audio output from the stereo.  I run Audacity while I have the device plugged in the USB and Audacity digitizes and captures the audio from the uca222 that originates from the stereo.  I don't know every Audacity trick in the book but have found it quite handy for digitizing my albums (and other media types when I need to) and have learned enough tricks to do this successfully.

I have on of those Behringer U-Phono thingys  too. I think my tape deck requires it to digitize and my turntable doesn't. Or vice versa, I forget which, I haven't done it in a while. But one of them needs it.

I find these mysterious software programs like Audacity intriguing. They belong to no company and exist in a gray area. Somebody just invents them and puts them out there for all to use. There's quite a number of this type of thing out on the fringes.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/20 at 7:25 am

Still have them, though I don't know where all of them are...

I didn't go in for "girly get-togethers" much.  I will say that get-togethers were a major part of life for us twenty-somethings then - but most were mixed company.  Which I was fine with.

Mine are in a closet probably collecting dust bunnies by now. ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/13/20 at 7:32 am

My Father has a cassette tape of all of us I think this was back in 1975 or 1976 he wanted to record all of us using a microphone hooked it up to the radio just to record some conversation and after 45 years he still has the cassette tape, probably warped by now.

Written By: Howard on 11/13/20 at 7:35 am

https://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/07/27/box_art.jpg

I can remember Mr.Microphone where you would hook it up to the radio and you'd also try to get a clear station just to talk into it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/20 at 9:10 am

I still have my cassette tapes...

Cassette "Walkman" devices were quite popular in the 1980's.  Why?  It was the first time the masses could inexpensively carry "my music" in their pocket or purse or hanging from their belt (of course small portable radios were around since the 50's and extremely popular, but they didn't play my music).  Among other things, a serious boon for non-automobile commuters.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/14/20 at 9:19 am

Cassette "Walkman" devices were quite popular in the 1980's.  Why?  It was the first time the masses could inexpensively carry "my music" in their pocket or purse or hanging from their belt (of course small portable radios were around since the 50's and extremely popular, but they didn't play my music).  Among other things, a serious boon for non-automobile commuters.

The advent of the cassette Walkman first introduced by Sony in the early 80s is what pushed the previously humble cassette tape into it's short-ish reign as the top selling music format for a few years there in the 80s.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/14/20 at 1:33 pm

Junk food was popular in the 80s.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/20 at 3:56 pm

Junk food was popular before the 80's.  But I believe its popularity grew by leaps and bounds during the decade.  I don't have any statistics to back this up - but this is a general recollection from experience.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/20 at 4:10 pm

Two things in the technology realm which were on-line before the 1980s but whose use became mainstream during the 80s:

- Microwave ovens
- VCRs

Both of these changed the quality of life in some way for average people.

Microwave ovens got cheaper, smaller and all-around fuller featured in the 1980s, and people bought them like hotcakes once this happened.  (Not to mention, in the 70's some people were spooked that Microwaves were a radiation hazard to people; this fear dissipated by the early to mid 80s.)  It's hard to appreciate this appliance until you consider life without it.  With no microwave, meal time had to be adhered to or else one is left with cold, usually difficult to heat food.  The microwave made it easy to eat in different shifts, as well as eat ready-made food straight from the refrigerator.  For better or worse, it changed our lives.

Before VCRs, anyone having a favorite "can't miss" show (and that was a lot of us) were "slaves" to the TV schedule.  At 8PM on Thursday, don't bother me because I have to watch Dallas (as an example).  With a VCR, I can tape Dallas while I'm going out with my friends (for example), and then watch it at another time.  Quite freeing, indeed!

Written By: karen on 11/14/20 at 4:11 pm

I think it is hard to recall what an era was like. You are just living life not making notes about things in case there is a quiz later.

I was at secondary school and then started work in the 80s. Right at the end of the decade I started going out with the man who became my husband.

As Philip mentioned, in the early part of the decade there was a lot of unemployment in the U.K.. There was also a lot of strikes and rioting. There was the ever present threat of the troubles from Northern Ireland. We also worried about nuclear war. The early part was really quite a dark and worrying time.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/14/20 at 4:43 pm

I think it is hard to recall what an era was like. You are just living life not making notes about things in case there is a quiz later.

I was at secondary school and then started work in the 80s. Right at the end of the decade I started going out with the man who became my husband.

As Philip mentioned, in the early part of the decade there was a lot of unemployment in the U.K.. There was also a lot of strikes and rioting. There was the ever present threat of the troubles from Northern Ireland. We also worried about nuclear war. The early part was really quite a dark and worrying time.

Yes, that nuclear threat thing hung over the whole decade, what with Reagan's "Star Wars" (Strategic Defense Initiative) program and all. There was a lot of saber-rattling going on (which carried over into silly jingoistic movies like "Top Gun"). The nuances of this is what the cultish 80s-worshippers-who weren't-born yet that show up on this site don't get.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/14/20 at 9:23 pm

Yes, that nuclear threat thing hung over the whole decade...

True about the nuclear threat - it was really pronounced earlier in the decade.  By late in the decade the threat had waned quite a lot.

Written By: karen on 11/15/20 at 2:54 am

Did you guys ever hear of a film called Threads? It was set in Sheffield and showed the few days before and the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Britain. It made the threat seem very real. At the time my eldest brother was part of the Observer Corps, and he sometimes spent a weekend working in one of the early warning bunkers.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 7:44 am

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0881/4568/products/wm-3-1_1800x1800_3d421717-16f0-4dcb-983b-b643ec55fe74_800x.jpg?v=1582651620

Cassette Walkmans were so simple and easy to carry, if you wanted to hear a song you could either rewind or fast forward just to get to your song that you wanted.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 7:46 am

There wasn't a junk food thing I didn't like, I might have a lot.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/15/20 at 10:38 am

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0881/4568/products/wm-3-1_1800x1800_3d421717-16f0-4dcb-983b-b643ec55fe74_800x.jpg?v=1582651620

Cassette Walkmans were so simple and easy to carry, if you wanted to hear a song you could either rewind or fast forward just to get to your song that you wanted.

I recall some of the early models didn't flip the tape by itself; when the tape ended a side you had to flip it.  That was annoying; I was really glad when auto reverse became available.  I didn't have a Sony brand walkman until late in the decade; my first walkmans were knock-offs.  One of them recorded - that was kinda cool.

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 1:33 pm

I recall some of the early models didn't flip the tape by itself; when the tape ended a side you had to flip it.  That was annoying; I was really glad when auto reverse became available.  I didn't have a Sony brand walkman until late in the decade; my first walkmans were knock-offs.  One of them recorded - that was kinda cool.

I think I still have mine but don't think it works anymore and when you put in fresh batteries & when you put a music tape in it sounds like Barry White  ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/15/20 at 1:37 pm

I remember the fun toys I used to have such as a Nintendo Console, Teddy Ruxpin and a 2XL Robot to name a few, I understand that it was introduced in 1978 but I didn't start to interact with it until 1980-1981 and after that Mego went bankrupt.

https://www.theoldrobots.com/images4/2xl9.JPG

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/15/20 at 1:39 pm

Did you guys ever hear of a film called Threads? It was set in Sheffield and showed the few days before and the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Britain. It made the threat seem very real. At the time my eldest brother was part of the Observer Corps, and he sometimes spent a weekend working in one of the early warning bunkers.

Yeah, I remember that movie along with The Day After. I think Threads was scarier.

Cat

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/15/20 at 2:03 pm

Is it strange for those of you who lived through the ‘80s to know that there are now adults in their 30s who didn’t even exist yet in the ‘80s?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/15/20 at 2:05 pm

I know you didn't ask me but I wanted to reply anyway lol. The only cassette from the 80s I have is this one that I've had since I was 9.(Yes I actually took a photo if it). Taylor Dayne was one of my favorite singers back then. It is a cassette single of "Love will lead you back". All of my other cassettes are from the 90s.

https://cdn1.bbcode0.com/uploads/2020/11/12/3cafbdcffe4ab6be0d47c4d9b0f14273-full.jpg

Great song! But this single was actually released in January 1990 according to Wiki. So while the song and parent album are from the 80s, you probably purchased this cassette in early 1990 after it was released. I’ve been really into Taylor Dayne lately.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/15/20 at 2:24 pm

I think I still have mine but don't think it works anymore and when you put in fresh batteries & when you put a music tape in it sounds like Barry White  ;D

Belt is dragging?

I’ve still got a few of them. One is a bona fide Walkman which recorded too. That was my first one.

The back few rows of the school bus was reserved for the high school kids and we pretty much all had one. Many different brands and some were pretty cool looking. One was a Toshiba and had buttons over the tape spools.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/15/20 at 2:30 pm

Great song! But this single was actually released in January 1990 according to Wiki. So while the song and parent album are from the 80s, you probably purchased this cassette in early 1990 after it was released. I’ve been really into Taylor Dayne lately.

You are correct! The only reason I said it's from the 80s is because it says 1989 on the back, and as you said the song was released in 89.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/15/20 at 3:34 pm

Is it strange for those of you who lived through the ‘80s to know that there are now adults in their 30s who didn’t even exist yet in the ‘80s?

Not really. I just wish they didn't all think they were experts on the 80s.  ;D

Written By: robby76 on 11/16/20 at 5:28 am

Yes I remember that. I watched it with all my family, but we tuned in late and couldn't tell if it was real or fake. At least I think it was Threads. The one we watched was almost like a "real time" news bulletin.

Unless what we watched was "Special Bulletin" from 1983, but I'm sure what we watched was from the UK. I could be wrong.

EDIT : Okay it was "Special Bulletin" as Threads wasn't so much a live feed event. I think I got mixed up cos  I was in the UK at the time.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/20 at 7:51 am

Belt is dragging?

I’ve still got a few of them. One is a bona fide Walkman which recorded too. That was my first one.

The back few rows of the school bus was reserved for the high school kids and we pretty much all had one. Many different brands and some were pretty cool looking. One was a Toshiba and had buttons over the tape spools.

Never mind Wagon, I forgot I threw it out but right now all I have is my Sony Discman and some off brand disc player I got in 1995 from PC Richards.

Written By: karen on 11/16/20 at 9:28 am

I never had a branded Walkman but had at least one knock off.

A friend had one that could take two sets of headphones. I remember sitting in a maths class listening to music, claiming that the scarves we were wearing wrapped around our heads to hide the headphones were the latest fashion.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/16/20 at 9:49 am

...A friend had one that could take two sets of headphones...

I recall Radio Shack sold what is called a "splitter" where you could plug two headphones into one jack.  I surmise there may have been Walkman type units that actually had two jacks (never saw one), but the splitter enabled two people to listen on one unit.  I probably bought a half dozen or so of those over the years - seldom if ever used them, but felt good about having them...

...I remember sitting in a maths class listening to music, claiming that the scarves we were wearing wrapped around our heads to hide the headphones were the latest fashion.

;D

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/16/20 at 11:28 am

I recall Radio Shack sold what is called a "splitter" where you could plug two headphones into one jack.  I surmise there may have been Walkman type units that actually had two jacks (never saw one), but the splitter enabled two people to listen on one unit.  I probably bought a half dozen or so of those over the years - seldom if ever used them, but felt good about having them...

;D

They still make those. I have a couple somewhere from when I used to record and would feed in 2 sound sources.

You have to be careful to not put too much load on the headphone jack. They were pretty weak. That was the first thing that broke on my Walkman, before I ever used a splitter. So I rigged up a rubber band to the carry strap hook to put just enough tension on the jack to make it functional. Later on I got a soldering gun for Christmas and was able to fix it correctly.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/16/20 at 12:23 pm

;D

If Radio Shack had concentrated on just little things like that they would have stayed in business. THAT'S the type of thing they were good at. Little adaptors, patch cords, plugs, speaker wire, etc. Any of their big stuff was absolute crapola. Radio Shack (and it's parent company the Tandy Corporation) basically made junk. Even their batteries stunk. It's a miracle they even stayed in business as long as they did and nobody could figure out why. Even the Onion once did a parody piece about it. Not to mention the attitude of the staff when you went in. They practically demanded your name, phone number, zip code, etc so they could put you on all kinds of mailing lists.  But if they just became more like an electronics hardware store type of place for all the little necessities they would have found their niche. Nobody wanted a Radio Shack TV or computer or stereo or cell phone, that's for sure.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/20 at 1:26 pm

The 1980's also saw the introduction to Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow in 1983.
https://incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/reading-rainbow-levar-burton-kickstarter-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqpmSWwuGk

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/16/20 at 1:30 pm

The 1980's also saw the introduction to Levar Burton and Reading Rainbow in 1983.

Levar Burton has ben one of the names mentioned as a potential replacement for Alex Trebek as host of Jeopardy.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/16/20 at 2:01 pm

If Radio Shack had concentrated on just little things like that they would have stayed in business. THAT'S the type of thing they were good at. Little adaptors, patch cords, plugs, speaker wire, etc. Any of their big stuff was absolute crapola. Radio Shack (and it's parent company the Tandy Corporation) basically made junk. Even their batteries stunk. It's a miracle they even stayed in business as long as they did and nobody could figure out why. Even the Onion once did a parody piece about it. Not to mention the attitude of the staff when you went in. They practically demanded your name, phone number, zip code, etc so they could put you on all kinds of mailing lists.  But if they just became more like an electronics hardware store type of place for all the little necessities they would have found their niche. Nobody wanted a Radio Shack TV or computer or stereo or cell phone, that's for sure.

True, not a huge fan overall, qualilty-wise.  Although I still today use a Radio Shack brand "Optimus" mini receiver that I purchased in (probably) the late 80s - it's cute and black and is small enough to fit on the passthru; I pair it with some small black speakers, my kitchen music!

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/16/20 at 5:21 pm

True, not a huge fan overall, qualilty-wise.  Although I still today use a Radio Shack brand "Optimus" mini receiver that I purchased in (probably) the late 80s - it's cute and black and is small enough to fit on the passthru; I pair it with some small black speakers, my kitchen music!

From what I understand they just rebranded a lot of things. Some Radio shack keyboards were rebranded Casio. A Radio Shack RC truck was identical to one I had, I think it was Nikko. When the circuit board fried due to water, I went into Radio Shack and was able to source a new board. I soldered it in, then installed the box over it, and in rad 80s lettering and colors I painted Water Keep Out.

My second recording Walkman was a Realistic from Radio Shack and it was nice. I had an Optimus amp in my last car which never let me down. And my first computer, a Tandy 386SX/33 was the most stable machine I ever had. I’ve had a lot of Radio Shack products and while they were expensive, they did hold up. My buddy worked for them for a lot of years and loves some of the speakers and receivers he ended up with.

Most of the time however, I march straight to the back of the store to the parts racks. The guys know I know what I’m looking for. The parts have always been very expensive compared to mail order, but when you need something in a pinch or just want to put together something small it’s the place to go. Our local store is still running.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/16/20 at 5:24 pm

https://incrediblethings.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/reading-rainbow-levar-burton-kickstarter-2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPqpmSWwuGk

Before that he was in Roots. It was a 70s movie but they showed it many times in my school in the 80s.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/20 at 6:58 am

Before that he was in Roots. It was a 70s movie but they showed it many times in my school in the 80s.

I know he was in Roots but I was referring to Reading Rainbow back in 1983, he had many guests on the show and he took you places to discover as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/20 at 7:00 am

Over the years, "Roots" was one TVM I never got to see.

Written By: Howard on 11/19/20 at 7:25 am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f6/8f/8c/f68f8c3fc2c0f3e52dbd2a2bba58ce2a.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/41/1a/a8/411aa845acb90287164ade01312b81cd.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/20/20 at 5:58 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33423

Here is my recording Walkman I got in 1989. I found it while I was poking around in the garage.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/20 at 6:10 pm

Here is my recording Walkman I got in 1989. I found it while I was poking around in the garage.

I think I may still have my Walkman, too.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 11/21/20 at 7:46 am

So if you'd put in fresh batteries, it would still work? ???

Written By: Elor on 11/21/20 at 10:50 am

Didn't know they came with integrated radios. ???
Learned something new here. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/21/20 at 11:28 am

Didn't know they came with integrated radios. ???
Learned something new here. :)

Some Walkmans had radios.  It was a "plus" feature.  There were some Walkmans that only had FM radio and not AM, oddly enough.  When considering not just Sony but all the knock-offs, there was quite a variety of available features in these devices.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/20 at 1:44 pm

Some Walkmans had radios.  It was a "plus" feature.  There were some Walkmans that only had FM radio and not AM, oddly enough.  When considering not just Sony but all the knock-offs, there was quite a variety of available features in these devices.

And some walkmans had both AM-FM and cassette tape feature built in, sometimes back in the days If I heard a song I liked I would record it to the tape.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/20 at 1:47 pm

Interestingly enough, I recently bought a receiver (Sony) for my stereo system, not as common an item as it once was, and it only comes with FM radio. I was kind of annoyed with this. Not that I listen much to AM or ANY radio in this day and age, but it was the principal of the thing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/21/20 at 1:52 pm

Incidentally, if you ever wanted to play a cassette out of a bigger system, say a Bose Wave or the like, a Walkman will plug into the auxiliary output with an inexpensive male/male cable and work just fine.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/21/20 at 11:34 pm

Incidentally, if you ever wanted to play a cassette out of a bigger system, say a Bose Wave or the like, a Walkman will plug into the auxiliary output with an inexpensive male/male cable and work just fine.

I did that, I had a bigger system in my bedroom in high school. I had several other brands of Walkman, another that recorded. I had an elaborate setup of adapters, splitters, and inline volume controls. So I could sing into the clip on mic, play my bass, balance it with a radio or tape input as a backing track, and record my efforts. And monitor it with headphones. Sometimes I did this in desolate places in the back of my station wagon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/20 at 12:55 pm

I had a walkman, cannot remember the precise make of it, and it helped me through the nights when working on the nightshift.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/23/20 at 2:33 pm

That's a nice one! The last time I had a Walkman was in 1993. It was my most favorite thing in the world!

Written By: Howard on 11/24/20 at 7:43 am

I had a walkman, cannot remember the precise make of it, and it helped me through the nights when working on the nightshift.

I remember walkmans back in the days were a bit quieter when you played music with your headphones compared to today's smartphones.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/29/20 at 10:38 pm

I found a couple more of my toys from the 80s. I kept these in a dry plastic storage bin under my old house for 17 years, then in my garage here for the last 5. I still gotta put batteries in them and try them.

One thing about the 80s is you had dedicated devices for everything, like these. You didn’t just look up unlimited games and play them on a phone. I’ve got a box of close to 30 handheld games and some of them I play often. To me it’s a better experience.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33439

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33441

Written By: Howard on 11/30/20 at 7:55 am

I found a couple more of my toys from the 80s. I kept these in a dry plastic storage bin under my old house for 17 years, then in my garage here for the last 5. I still gotta put batteries in them and try them.

One thing about the 80s is you had dedicated devices for everything, like these. You didn’t just look up unlimited games and play them on a phone. I’ve got a box of close to 30 handheld games and some of them I play often. To me it’s a better experience.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33439

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33441

Do you remember Simon And Copycat?

https://lppool.catalogsites.net/lf?source=url,quality

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tGUAAOSw-0xYauK7/s-l300.jpg

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/30/20 at 11:20 am

Do you remember Simon And Copycat?

https://lppool.catalogsites.net/lf?source=url,quality

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tGUAAOSw-0xYauK7/s-l300.jpg

Yes I played both of those in school.

I also still have this. I came across it last week and played it often before I moved here. I’m sure it still works fine. It was my grandma’s but I liked it so much she gave it to me. Only thing was, just like Walkman headphone jacks, the power jack wasn’t built well and kept breaking off. If you moved it just right you would lose your game. I’m going to just hardwire the power so it’s reliable.

https://pic-e.avaluer.org/imgstmb/b/k/z/e/n/-vintage_1980_bank_shot_electronic_pool_parker_brothers_w_box_good-1_142_tmb.jpg

Written By: Howard on 11/30/20 at 1:50 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41S43M5FHYL._AC_.jpg
Here's something I remember playing, Electronic Football.

Written By: violet_shy on 11/30/20 at 4:43 pm

I never owned any interactive toys in the 80s. Only dolls, board games, and stuffed animals.

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/30/20 at 8:29 pm

I never owned any interactive toys in the 80s. Only dolls, board games, and stuffed animals.

Everything I had was functional in some way. Either electronic games, toy vehicles, nearly every type of building set that existed at the time, musical instruments, telescope, tools. I couldn’t relate with stuffed animals or GI Joe types of stuff. To this day I can’t read or write a fiction story to save my life but I’m fine with that.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/52/51/d1525149e005065f64be3aa15de693e9.jpg

Anybody have any of these? I had the Speak and Math but I played both the others regularly when I was 6-7.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/30/20 at 9:36 pm

Everything I had was functional in some way. Either electronic games, toy vehicles, nearly every type of building set that existed at the time, musical instruments, telescope, tools. I couldn’t relate with stuffed animals or GI Joe types of stuff. To this day I can’t read or write a fiction story to save my life but I’m fine with that.

I THINK I get your logic with the jump from inanimate toys to fiction, but regardless, I agree completely. I am an inveterate reader. I love books (the physical kind, not the Kindle kind) almost as much as I love music and I read constantly. But never fiction. I read spirituality, history, biographies, philosophy, all kinds of stuff, but no fiction. I'm oversimplifying, but why read something somebody simply makes up? I get to the end and it's all tied up in a neat little ribbon (or not, depending on the writer) and I think "somebody just made this up, so this could have ended any other way depending on how the writer felt that day. It's not real." It gives me kind of an empty feeling. So I stick with the other stuff. 

Written By: wagonman76 on 11/30/20 at 11:32 pm

I THINK I get your logic with the jump from inanimate toys to fiction, but regardless, I agree completely. I am an inveterate reader. I love books (the physical kind, not the Kindle kind) almost as much as I love music and I read constantly. But never fiction. I read spirituality, history, biographies, philosophy, all kinds of stuff, but no fiction. I'm oversimplifying, but why read something somebody simply makes up? I get to the end and it's all tied up in a neat little ribbon (or not, depending on the writer) and I think "somebody just made this up, so this could have ended any other way depending on how the writer felt that day. It's not real." It gives me kind of an empty feeling. So I stick with the other stuff.

I love physical nonfiction books as well and have many. No kindle for me either. As for the jump, I meant that I don’t understand fiction stories nor do I have the capacity to make them. I don’t role play and I gather that’s what you’re supposed to do with action figures and stuff. As a musician, I play tons of covers but not write a whole lot.

So my game still works. This is a common break scenario, I always called this one the Escort break. Because the 4 lights on a diagonal rectangle always made me think of the holes in a Ford Escort wheel.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=62270.0;attach=33443

https://i0.wp.com/www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/CC-9-027-800.jpg?resize=560%2C380

I wasn’t sure yet of the correct polarity of the adapter so I stuck batteries in it for the time being.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/01/20 at 12:04 am

I love physical nonfiction books as well and have many. No kindle for me either. As for the jump, I meant that I don’t understand fiction stories nor do I have the capacity to make them. I don’t role play and I gather that’s what you’re supposed to do with action figures and stuff. As a musician, I play tons of covers but not write a whole lot.

You'd probably be good at lyrics or poetry. Just write what's real. Not made up baloney like a lot of today's fake pop writers who write by committee. Remember "stop thinking what to write about, write what you're thinking about".

Written By: karen on 12/01/20 at 1:08 am

Wagonman take a photo of the adaptor plug and the socket on the device. There are often some symbols on there telling you the polarity. The jack plug can also give you a clue.

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/01/20 at 1:17 am

Wagonman take a photo of the adaptor plug and the socket on the device. There are often some symbols on there telling you the polarity. The jack plug can also give you a clue.

Thanks. I know the symbol for tip polarity but it’s not on this old game anywhere. When I take it apart I’ll see from the circuit board. I just wanted to make sure it still worked before taking it apart. The original adapter is long gone, I have several laying around and I can check the adapter polarity with my meter and reverse it if need be.

Written By: karen on 12/01/20 at 3:55 am

Thanks. I know the symbol for tip polarity but it’s not on this old game anywhere. When I take it apart I’ll see from the circuit board. I just wanted to make sure it still worked before taking it apart. The original adapter is long gone, I have several laying around and I can check the adapter polarity with my meter and reverse it if need be.

I thought you might know, but I am often surprised when people don’t know what is “obvious” if you see what I mean.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/20 at 4:00 am

"Maggie, Maggie, Maggie! Out! Out! Out!"

Written By: Howard on 12/01/20 at 7:48 am

I'm sure you remember Cabbage Patch Kids?  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/01/20 at 7:49 am

Anybody have any of these? I had the Speak and Math but I played both the others regularly when I was 6-7.

I do remember owning a Speak And Spell.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/20 at 8:12 am

My son had the red and blue ones, I enjoyed the Speak and Math!

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/22/21 at 11:14 pm

The 80s were an idyllic time for me, I guess just because it was my childhood.

I was an only child and we were lucky enough to have had cable TV….so when I was about 7, I became obsessed with MTV. I watched it for hours on end and was abnormally familiar with all the popular singers and bands, like Duran Duran, The Go-Gos, Van Halen, RATT, Def Lepard, The Pretenders, etc. It was like I was a teenager trapped in the body of a young child. I would always try to talk to the "big kids" because none of the kids my age knew about the cool music of the day, but the teenagers looked at me like a was a precocious little brat…which is basically what I was. In 1984, at the height of my MTV mania, I begged my dad to take me to the movie theater to see "Footloose" when it came to our town. It was EVERYTHING to me. My dad said the movie was playing too late at night. I told him I'd die if I didn't see it and I was unrelenting, so he took me to see it even though it was the late showing and a school night.
I found it life-changing. I wanted to marry Kevin Bacon and to BE Lori Singer who played misunderstood wild girl Ariel. I loved the scene where she stands on the railroad tracks, puts her hand out in front of her and screams, and Kevin Bacon tackles her, saving her right before the train hits her. So after seeing that, I started stepping out in front of moving cars, putting my hand out and screaming. My father had a serious talk with me about it, and so I stopped doing it. lol. I believe I was a bit of "a spaz" (to use '80s parlance.)

Someone mentioned Cabbage Patch Kids in this thread...They were so huge in the mid-80s. Footage on the news showed parents attacking each other in malls to get their hands on a Cabbage Patch Kid for their child for Christmas. Well, I didn't really like them much (Garbage Pail Kids, a few yrs later, were more my speed), but I asked for one for Christmas because so many other girls were getting them. I think it was 1985 and that year most boys wanted Bigfoot Trucks and most girls wanted Cabbage Patch Kids. On Christmas morning, my Dad had put my presents under the Christmas tree during the night, and I was disturbed when I didn't see a wrapped package that looked like a Cabbage Patch Kid box.

I opened my presents and there was indeed a Cabbage Patch Doll...but NOT a real one. You see, they were so popular that "pop-up shops" opened that sold HAND-MADE, fake Cabbage Patch Dolls to take advantage of the shortage of real ones. These fake Cabbage Patch dolls didn't have plastic faces, they just had nylon quilted faces. And they did NOT come with adoption papers...
I was horrified by this male, HOMEMADE Cabbage Patch Doll in his green velvet tracksuit that my father had bought for me from some random woman with sewing skills. Dad asked if I was happy and I muttered "Mm-hmm" trying not to cry. Then I started laying it on thick, cradling "Danny" in my arms and rocking him and cooing, "I love you, Danny. You're the best Cabbage Patch Kid ever." But when the adults weren't looking, I narrowed my eyes and whispered, "I hate you. You're a FAKE. You don't even have adoption papers..." lol

I think the best part of the '80s was was the leisure time: no smart phones or social media or internet....just feeling relaxed being with friends outside, hanging out on a lazy afternoon or evening, doing nothing, or riding bikes, heading to the swimming pool or wherever…I can't really describe it. The same things are possible today, I guess, but this current world just seems so much more stressful, more impersonal, with everyone, including kids, obsessed with face-timing and networking and their social media "online presence"...
The 80s were a very special time and I think most 80s kids hold those memories in a very special place in their heart.

Written By: robby76 on 02/23/21 at 3:30 am

The 80s were an idyllic time for me, I guess just because it was my childhood.

What year were you born? I'm guessing close to '76 like me.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/21 at 3:32 am

My son had the red and blue ones, I enjoyed the Speak and Math!

I enjoyed Speak And Spell a lot, it was a fun computer device to have.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/23/21 at 11:29 am

I was born in 76 as well. I had one of those Bigfoot trucks with the shift levers on the top of the cab.

The cabbage patch thing makes me think of this:

jJvE0_YGMHw

The leisure time is possible today and I unplug often. I never had high speed internet until just December so I’m used to doing things old school. But it’s tough when everyone expects you to be connected.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/23/21 at 5:39 pm

What year were you born? I'm guessing close to '76 like me.

Yep, we were both bicentennial babies.  ;)
I like being born in the '70s because some of my earliest pop culture memories were watching Electric Company, Picture Pages, old school Sesame Street and sitcoms like Jeffersons, All in the Family, Mork & Mindy, etc.

I was born in 76 as well. I had one of those Bigfoot trucks with the shift levers on the top of the cab.

The cabbage patch thing makes me think of this:

jJvE0_YGMHw

The leisure time is possible today and I unplug often. I never had high speed internet until just December so I’m used to doing things old school. But it’s tough when everyone expects you to be connected.

Yes, I remember all the boys in my grade were talking about those blue Bigfoot trucks around Christmas '85.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UrkAAOSwJXxcSgSV/s-l300.jpg

Then a year or two later, it was NINTENDO. I got an NES myself for Christmas, and I have very fond memories of playing Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Goonies II, and of course Legend of Zelda with both girlfriends and guy-friends. I went over to a close guy-friend's house after school in 6th Grade and watched him conquer Zelda, which blew my mind. I don't think I ever managed to conquer it myself.

That was a funny SNL video. I think that doll with the cabbage for a head would have been better than the fake Cabbage Patch Kid -- "Danny" -- that I received. lol

I understand that leisure can still be found...but I just think the culture and fashions and music and everything were so different in the '80s and I feel nostalgic for it a lot. My sentimental childhood memories are my "happy place."

Has anyone ever seen the old black & white Twilight Zone episode called "Walking Distance?" I highly recommend it for anyone who is sentimental about the era of their childhood. It's a really powerful episode, and probably the most famous episode of the whole series. It's made even more poignant because the actor - Gig Young - was an alcoholic in real life and ended up committing suicide.

On a happier note, what a fun site this is. I love reading these threads and hearing people's '80s reminiscences.  :D

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/23/21 at 6:42 pm

I like being born in the '70s because some of my earliest pop culture memories were watching Electric Company, Picture Pages, old school Sesame Street and sitcoms like Jeffersons, All in the Family, Mork & Mindy, etc.

Yes, I remember all the boys in my grade were talking about those blue Bigfoot trucks around Christmas '85.

Then a year or two later, it was NINTENDO. I got an NES myself for Christmas, and I have very fond memories of playing Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Goonies II, and of course Legend of Zelda with both girlfriends and guy-friends. I went over to a close guy-friend's house after school in 6th Grade and watched him conquer Zelda, which blew my mind. I don't think I ever managed to conquer it myself.

That was a funny SNL video. I think that doll with the cabbage for a head would have been better than the fake Cabbage Patch Kid -- "Danny" -- that I received. lol

I understand that leisure can still be found...but I just think the culture and fashions and music and everything were so different in the '80s and I feel nostalgic for it a lot. My sentimental childhood memories are my "happy place."

Has anyone ever seen the old black & white Twilight Zone episode called "Walking Distance?" I highly recommend it for anyone who is sentimental about the era of their childhood. It's a really powerful episode, and probably the most famous episode of the whole series. It's made even more poignant because the actor - Gig Young - was an alcoholic in real life and ended up committing suicide.

On a happier note, what a fun site this is. I love reading these threads and hearing people's '80s reminiscences.  :D

I was late to the game with NES. Wasn’t till like 91 or 92. Instead I had a Coleco Vision with the controller overlays, steering wheel and gas pedal, and 33 games in an case. It also played Atari cartridges, which my friend had.

My favorite SNL era was the 2nd half of the 80s and some of the early 90s.

I haven’t seen that Twilight Zone. I’m not a fan of the black and white ones. I do like when they brought it back in the 80s in color. Then there was Amazing Stories (which I’m watching on my Roku right now) and Tales From The Darkside which was my favorite of the three. On a snowstormy weekend I could binge watch that

Electric Company was one of my first TV memories. The first was Laverne and Shirley, my mom watching it on a little TV while doing laundry when I was 3.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/23/21 at 7:22 pm

I was late to the game with NES. Wasn’t till like 91 or 92. Instead I had a Coleco Vision with the controller overlays, steering wheel and gas pedal, and 33 games in an case. It also played Atari cartridges, which my friend had.

My favorite SNL era was the 2nd half of the 80s and some of the early 90s.

I haven’t seen that Twilight Zone. I’m not a fan of the black and white ones. I do like when they brought it back in the 80s in color. Then there was Amazing Stories (which I’m watching on my Roku right now) and Tales From The Darkside which was my favorite of the three. On a snowstormy weekend I could binge watch that

Electric Company was one of my first TV memories. The first was Laverne and Shirley, my mom watching it on a little TV while doing laundry when I was 3.

That Coleco sounds really cool, but all my life I've only been a Nintendo girl.
I remember watching the colored Twilight Zone episodes of the 80s. And yes, also "Amazing Stories" which aired from '85 to '87. "Tales from the Darkside" had a really weird episode i remember called "The Geezenstacks" that I found very freaky.

I wonder if you remember the Electric Company skit called "Billy Lick a Lolly." I hadn't thought of it in years until I saw it on Youtube then it all came rushing back to me. It was like time travel...So funny and odd and brought back of rush of early childhood memories for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCl0qIRSxeA

Written By: Howard on 02/24/21 at 2:40 pm

I was born in '74 and I can remember watching those shows you mentioned.

Written By: Moonlighting on 02/24/21 at 4:45 pm

...and Happy Days, Three's Company, Donny and Marie. The list goes on. Happy times in front of the tube as a toddler.  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/25/21 at 7:13 am

...and Happy Days, Three's Company, Donny and Marie. The list goes on. Happy times in front of the tube as a toddler.  8)

Just eating your favorite sugared cereal while watching the cartoons.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...