inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 1989 Throwback Thread

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/21 at 9:27 am

Happy 2021 everyone! New year means new year to throwback. I choose 1989 as I will be very nostalgic for that year in this year. Here are two of my favorite songs from two of my favorite movies of that year.

ulOLYnOthIw

e2sLeruRZio

Subject: Re: The 1989 Throwback Thread

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/21 at 10:55 am

Happy 2021 everyone! New year means new year to throwback. I choose 1989 as I will be very nostalgic for that year in this year. Here are two of my favorite songs from two of my favorite movies of that year.

I REALLY need to understand how this word "nostalgia" is used now in a way that is very different from the way it was as I knew it. So, if I get this straight, you were NOT 'nostalgic" for 1989 up until now in the new year of 2021? But you have now CHOSEN to be?  And not only "nostalgic" but "VERY nostalgic". That's not the definition of nostalgia I learned, but of it floats your boat I guess it's fine. I was just unaware that someone could pick and chose what to be nostalgic about. Does 1989 evoke a bittersweet feeling of your youth this year that it did not do last year? 

From Oxford Dictionary:

Nostalgia:

A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/01/21 at 11:13 am

I REALLY need to understand how this word "nostalgia" is used now in a way that is very different from the way it was as I knew it. So, if I get this straight, you were NOT 'nostalgic" for 1989 up until now in the new year of 2021? But you have now CHOSEN to be?  And not only "nostalgic" but "VERY nostalgic". That's not the definition of nostalgia I learned, but of it floats your boat I guess it's fine. I was just unaware that someone could pick and chose what to be nostalgic about. Does 1989 evoke a bittersweet feeling of your youth this year that it did not do last year? 

From Oxford Dictionary:

Nostalgia:

A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

That's just something I do personally. Each year I focus on a particular year, or 2 to throwback. Of course in the back of my mind I feel nostalgic about other times as well, but as far as listening to music and watching movies (the things I can control) I stay fixed on those particular years. It's an OCD thing with me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/21 at 11:47 am

That's just something I do personally. Each year I focus on a particular year, or 2 to throwback. Of course in the back of my mind I feel nostalgic about other times as well, but as far as listening to music and watching movies (the things I can control) I stay fixed on those particular years. It's an OCD thing with me.

Oh! I see. Its the word "nostalgia" and the way it's used on this site that throws me, as it certainly does not fit the definition as listed in my post above.  It's more like a phase or period you're going through, or choose to concentrate on, than nostalgia in the typical sense. Like "this is my jazz period", or "this year I listen to a lot of classical", etc.

Keep in mind, "nostalgia" by definition is not a CHOICE, per se. It is an emotion one feels coming over oneself like sadness, elation, etc. In fact, it is often mixed with those feelings.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/21 at 3:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQod_tn1Qg
No More Lies - Michel'le

Written By: Elor on 01/01/21 at 4:12 pm

1989 held significant importance for my country as it was the year the Berlin Wall came down which subsequently led to German reunification in 1990. :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/01/21 at 8:27 pm

1989 held significant importance for my country as it was the year the Berlin Wall came down which subsequently led to German reunification in 1990. :)

As someone who'd only known Germany as having the Berlin wall up until that point, this event was quite stunning even from this side of the world

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/01/21 at 9:20 pm

Ah 1989 - among the most consequential and unusual years of my life, replete with soaring high highs and painfully low lows.  I emerged from the year a very different person.  I'd already begun "checking out" in regards to pop culture - new TV shows didn't keep my interest and neither did I like the new music, it just seemed wrong.  (There were still some good movies around then.)  My personal and work life however were full of unusual twists and turns, both good and bad.  Among the most unusual aspects of 1989 was being sent on an out-of-town work assignment for half the year - more good than bad, and some of what I experienced that year related to that assignment.  Here are some 1989 personal highlights and lowlights:

Major Lowlights:
- My beloved father, having been healthy most of his life, spent the year suffering from cancer and passed away late 1989
- Upon returning to my home office as my work assignment wrapped up, I discovered that a large number of my favorite coworkers left the company during that time (turnover was high then)
- I found it hard to leave the work assignment when the time came, as I'd just started getting used to the people and the environment

Major Highlights:
- Cemented my newfound Christian beliefs and made some amazing new friends in the process
- In preparation for my out of town work assignment I was sent to the SF Bay area for some valuable professional training, at work's expense - a fantastic experience
- During my out of town work assignment I got to better know my new sister in law and baby niece and spend time with my brother, as they lived in the city where I was assigned (I may not have otherwise had that opportunity)
- I finally got out of severe debt (strangely, the work assignment helped with that)

One of the more "Twilight Zone" personal 1989 events - there was a bad SF Bay area earthquake that fall, hitting at evening rush hour time on October 17.  It was awful.  The Bay Bridge collapsed.  Three weeks to the day prior, I had attended one of my training modules in late September, for which every day at that very time of day I was commuting from my class to my hotel using that very same Bay Bridge, the one that collapsed.  That struck me quite vividly...

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/01/21 at 9:37 pm

One of the more "Twilight Zone" personal 1989 events - there was a bad SF Bay area earthquake that fall, hitting at evening rush hour time on October 17.  It was awful.  The Bay Bridge collapsed.  Three weeks to the day prior, I had attended one of my training modules in late September, for which every day at that very time of day I was commuting from my class to my hotel using that very same Bay Bridge, the one that collapsed.  That struck me quite vividly...

How well I remember that earthquake. It occurred live on national TV as it was in the middle of the World Series between the Oakland As and The San Francisco Giants. BOTH Bay Area teams! I was watching. Everything went black and there was major chaos as people tried to exit the blackened stadium. Keep in mind, this was all pre-internet, pre-cell phone. For a major earthquake to just happen to happen on coast-to-coast live TV during the World Series was a major big deal. News crews didn't have to rush there because they were already there! I had a friend living in San Francisco at the time and tried to call him on the land line phone--the only thing we had back then---and just got busy signals and weird noises for hours. Eventually I got a recording that said "due to earthquake your call cannot be completed". I'm not kidding! I finally got ahold of him a couple of days later. He was fine, but a cake he had on top of the refrigerator fell off and smashed. Who keeps cakes on top of the refrigerator?

Written By: Howard on 01/02/21 at 4:37 am

I can remember when I heard the final year of good old fun rap from artists such as Young MC and Tone Loc until the 90's you would hear more mature rap.

Written By: karen on 01/02/21 at 11:21 am

I started going out with Dai in July 1989. We had known each other for a couple of years,  but started dating then. I remember we saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at the cinema. I can’t remember what else we went to see,  but we went most weeks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/21 at 6:07 pm

1989 was a transitional year for me. It was probably one of the lowest points in my life. My whole life was turned upside down. I was still in the Air Force. I found myself a widow in a VERY strange place where I didn't speak the language-but the food was GREAT! (Greece.) I was dealing with a lot of emotional baggage from my marriage that I really didn't know how to handle. In the middle of all that, I did try to expand my horizons and went on a cruise in the Med where I went to Egypt, Israel, as well as the island of Rhodes. I also went to few of the other Greek islands.

Then I was sent to Germany for an eye appointment. I was informed that I was unfit for duty (I wasn't then but now I am legally blind). So, I was widowed at 25 and retired at the ripe old age of 26. People asked me where I was going to go. Go? I realized that for the first time in my life I got to choose anywhere in the world I wanted to go. I think I thought about it for maybe 30 seconds if that long and said, "Vermont." The response: "Do you have a job there?" No. "Do you know people there?" No. Then they asked, "Why Vermont, then." And I gave them the strangest answer they ever heard: BECAUSE I WANT TO!  And it was one of the BEST decisions I had ever made in my life. (Vermont had been calling me for most of my life actually. But that is another story.) I didn't actually make it here until 1990-a new decade and a new life. And after a slow start, it turned out to be a REALLY GREAT life!

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/21 at 6:32 pm

Bob Dylan and Neil Young, two of my favorite musical artists, after floundering throughout most of the 80s (as did many musical artists who got their start in the 1960s) with a series of uneven and subpar albums, both came back strong in 1989 with excellent albums. Dylan with "Oh Mercy" produced by Daniel Lanois, and Neil Young with "Freedom" which gave the world the enduring anthem "Rocking In the Free World". 

It's not on youtube, but here's a like to a Vimeo video of Neil Young doing a staggering performance of "Rocking In the Free World" on "Saturday Night Live" in 1989:

https://vimeo.com/261974485

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/21 at 6:35 pm

Bob Dylan and Neil Young, two of my favorite musical artists, after floundering throughout most of the 80s (as did many musical artists who got their start in the 1960s) with a series of uneven and subpar albums, both came back strong in 1989 with excellent albums. Dylan with "Oh Mercy" produced by Daniel Lanois, and Neil Young with "Freedom" which gave the world the enduring anthem "Rocking In the Free World". 

It's not on youtube, but here's a like to a Vimeo video of Neil Young doing a staggering performance of "Rocking In the Free World" on "Saturday Night Live" in 1989:

https://vimeo.com/261974485

I actually saw Bob Dylan in concert in 1989-in Greece. I have to say that I wasn't impressed.

Btw, there is a rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/02/21 at 6:56 pm

I actually saw Bob Dylan in concert in 1989-in Greece. I have to say that I wasn't impressed.

Btw, there is a rumor that Bob Dylan may be getting back together again.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You had to catch him at the right time. I saw him in 1975 with Joan Baez and it was really something. That 17 minute song about the JFK assassination that he released this year is excellent. So sweeping in it's scope.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/02/21 at 9:10 pm

I graduated high school in 1989, enlisted in the Army about a month later, went through basic and advanced training through the summer and fall, and got deployed to Germany 2 weeks after the Berlin Wall went down.

I went to Berlin the following April. It was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.

Written By: Elor on 01/03/21 at 2:58 am

I went to Berlin the following April. It was one of the most fascinating experiences of my life.

Yes, it was a very interesting time for us. I live in West Germany but very close to the former border and we have relatives in East Germany. When the GDR still existed we were allowed to visit them once a year and crossing that border was always an ordeal. If you think the TSA is bad you didn't experience East German border guards. Every bit of luggage was checked, the car was examined (and X-rayed but they didn't tell you that) and you were forced to exchange West German money for worthless East German money (some of the coins were made from aluminum and felt like toy money) at an exchange rate of 1 West German Mark for 1 East German Mark. The whole process was slow and took hours.
After the wall came down those borders were opened and you could just drive through. I remember the first time we did that my father was driving celebratory circles on what used to be a heavily crowded waiting line and then drive right through the former checkpoint. An odd but very satisfying feeling. :)

To imagine that this all happened without violence is almost a miracle.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/21 at 2:33 pm

As someone who'd only known Germany as having the Berlin wall up until that point, this event was quite stunning even from this side of the world

I was in Greece at the time and didn't even know. I was pretty much in a news blackout for most of the time I was there. We only had Armed Forces radio and Stars & Stripes newspaper-so any news was fairly limited. I had just left Germany on Nov. 2nd and the Wall came down on the 9th. I didn't even know about the Wall until I got back to the States about a month later or so. (Can't remember when I learned about the Wall.)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/03/21 at 3:08 pm

In 1989, I believe I was a Junior in High School and I think I started Special Ed during that year.

Written By: temaichi on 01/05/21 at 12:19 am

vF0B9qGnKH0

"Ugly Truth" by Soundgarden. Released in September 5th, 1989.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/11/21 at 7:38 am

One of the first major events around this time in 1989 (January 7) was Japan's emperor Hirohito passes away after reigning most of the century. He was succeeded by Akihito for a 30 year reign which ended in 2019 by abdication.

Written By: Elor on 01/11/21 at 10:17 am

One of the first major events around this time in 1989 (January 7) was Japan's emperor Hirohito passes away after reigning most of the century. He was succeeded by Akihito for a 30 year reign which ended in 2019 by abdication.
Can't imagine too many Americans were unhappy about his passing.... :-X

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/21 at 10:41 am

Yes, it was a very interesting time for us. I live in West Germany but very close to the former border and we have relatives in East Germany. When the GDR still existed we were allowed to visit them once a year and crossing that border was always an ordeal. If you think the TSA is bad you didn't experience East German border guards. Every bit of luggage was checked, the car was examined (and X-rayed but they didn't tell you that) and you were forced to exchange West German money for worthless East German money (some of the coins were made from aluminum and felt like toy money) at an exchange rate of 1 West German Mark for 1 East German Mark. The whole process was slow and took hours.
After the wall came down those borders were opened and you could just drive through. I remember the first time we did that my father was driving celebratory circles on what used to be a heavily crowded waiting line and then drive right through the former checkpoint. An odd but very satisfying feeling. :)

To imagine that this all happened without violence is almost a miracle.
I was working on the nightshift at that time, with many work colleagues around, we were all listening to a radio in a sate of disbelief.

Written By: Howard on 01/11/21 at 2:28 pm

George Herbert Walker Bush inaugurated as 41st US President (Jan. 20).

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/12/21 at 3:10 pm

First songs I remember of the year:

tDl3bdE3YQA

UtvmTu4zAMg

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/20/21 at 11:37 am

George Herbert Walker Bush inaugurated as 41st US President (Jan. 20).

On this day in 1989 George H.W. Bush is inaugurated president, ending Reagan's era.

zMmrNcdmdVY

Written By: Howard on 01/20/21 at 3:02 pm

On this day in 1989 George H.W. Bush is inaugurated president, ending Reagan's era.

zMmrNcdmdVY

How did you like him being president?

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/23/21 at 7:54 am

How did you like him being president?

My initial feeling was that I missed Reagan since he was the first president I remember and during most of my childhood. We also went through hard times with Bush Sr like with Desert Storm, the crack epidemic and peak crime rates, and the recession. The later is the main reason he lost reelection to Bill Clinton, and because he raised taxes which contradicted his famous speech at the RNC back in '88.

Looking back though, compared to his son and especially compared to Trump, he was actually pretty decent and humble (GWB seems good now compared to Trump, and the Bush family are more on the Democrats side as they voted for Hillary and I believe Biden as well).

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/31/21 at 1:25 pm

Just watched this the other night.

evA9nkdOhKU

Written By: Howard on 02/01/21 at 5:08 am

Just watched this the other night.

evA9nkdOhKU

I heard that Joe Clark had passed away last month.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/01/21 at 5:36 pm

Yes, on December 29th at the age of 82.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/obituaries/n-j-principal-joe-clark-who-inspired-film-lean-me-n1252521

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/21 at 8:42 pm

I read this and thought it was someone else.  A different Joe Clark was the Canadian Prime Minister from 1979-80 and he is still alive

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/03/21 at 1:25 pm

Saved by the Bell premiered in 1989 (the regular seasons, not counting the "Good Morning, Miss Bliss" series that it spun off from), and here is a video in loving memory of Dustin Diamond.

UDIJQV8Bu7k

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/04/21 at 7:25 am

1989 saw the release of the best song from the last 40 years - 'The Living Years' by Mike and the Mechanics.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/09/21 at 12:05 pm

A few weeks late but Superbowl XXIII was held on January 22 at Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami. It was the 49ers (back in the Joe Montana days) narrowly defeating the Bengals (yes, they actually went to the SB).

Written By: Howard on 02/09/21 at 2:34 pm

Glory, Born on the Fourth of July, My Left Foot, Sex, Lies, and Videotape, Field of Dreams (1989)

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/14/21 at 1:44 pm

Se_eSeEAoX0

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/18/21 at 11:32 am

LlVI7ZNiFlI

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/04/21 at 6:11 am

xy4FXhkm6Nw

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:43 pm

Some movies I like from 1989

Lock up - I have the official VHS tape
Uncle Buck - Recorded off analogue cable (PPV))
Whos harry crumb? - I have the official VHS tape
Bill and Teds Excellent adventure - I have the official VHS tape (Well an alternate release)
Caged Fury - I have the official VHS tape (They did it in MONO im not sure why,this movie is Stereo I think)
Class of 1999 - I have the official VHS tape

1989 was a transitional year for me. It was probably one of the lowest points in my life. My whole life was turned upside down. I was still in the Air Force.

Wow I didnt know you were in the air force,thats awesome Cat!!

Did you complete your whole tour?? (I know some that dropped out)

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/07/21 at 2:53 pm

Road House! (in my Peter Griffin impression but I just watched that last night)

Written By: Dude111 on 03/07/21 at 9:02 pm

I cant believe I forgot to list that,I just watched it again..... I love that movie!!

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/08/21 at 8:56 am

I still feel to this date that 1989 was the best year ever in cinematic history. That year was packed with one classic after another. You had "The Big 3" in the summer which were Batman, Ghostbusters II, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. In addition to those and aforementioned Road House you had:

Lethal Weapon 2
007: License to Kill
Karate Kid Part III
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Uncle Buck
Weekend At Bernie's
Major League
Field of Dreams
Do the Right Thing
Lean On Me
Three Fugitives
Say Anything
Heathers
War of the Roses
The Abyss
Cyborg
Dead Poets Society
Glory
Driving Miss Daisy
My Left Foot
When Harry Met Sally
Look Who's Talking
Christmas Vacation

And that's just the ones I could think of right now. I probably missed some.

Written By: Dude111 on 03/15/21 at 12:29 am

I cant believe how many I mi$$ed!!

License to kill
The Abyss
Weekend at bernies
Chirstmas vacation

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/15/21 at 2:26 pm

Here's some I missed:

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Turner and Hooch
The Little Mermaid
Parenthood

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/17/21 at 2:22 pm

Can't believe I left out/forgot about Back to the Future Part II, my favorite of the trilogy and one of my favorite film series of all time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/21 at 12:06 pm

Just watched this over the weekend. Always a classic.

NIWuVXw06-c

Written By: Howard on 05/10/21 at 3:05 pm

Just watched this over the weekend. Always a classic.

NIWuVXw06-c

Did you know they're making a sequel?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/10/21 at 4:33 pm

Did you know they're making a sequel?

You mean another one after Bill and Ted Face the Music (2020)?

Written By: Howard on 05/11/21 at 7:18 am

You mean another one after Bill and Ted Face the Music (2020)?

I think this is the one I was referring to.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/21 at 9:19 pm

On May 24 this movie was released and I plan to watch it again tomorrow. Imo this one was the best of the series.

sagmdpkWUqc

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/09/21 at 7:50 am

One of my favorite summer films and of the 007 series. Good theme by Gladys Knight.

e1iRaS3gqws

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/21 at 7:20 am

About a week late but on June 19, 1989 this classic was released. As stated in the 2005 Throwback Thread since Batman Begins was released just four days earlier in 2005 (on June 15), if The Batman was released on it's originally scheduled date today then it would be an even 16 years apart and created the feeling of excitement all over again. That's important for a batfan at least.

dgC9Q0uhX70

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/29/21 at 7:24 am

^ Correction: It was actually June 23 for the wide release date. June 19 was the date for the screening in Westwood, CA. One of the best things about that movie was the soundtrack by Prince. "Batdance" was in my original post, so here are two of my other favorite tunes from that soundtrack:

yjD9X2mPIXY

-aL7x3ESiUw

Other songs I liked from that album are "Scandalous" and "Arms of Orion".

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/21 at 9:06 pm

weIqC-oUGmA

Written By: violet_shy on 10/07/21 at 2:16 pm

^ I use to have a crush on the Ghostbusters back then!

Here is another photo of myself from 1989. Wearing my New Kids on the block fashion pin! Woohoo! It's a bit grainy because it's an old picture. I miss being that young...

https://i.ibb.co/ByNMgYS/IMG-20210915-144008-571.webp

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/07/21 at 6:25 pm

Young Mayim. She deserved better than “Blossom”.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/5027F0C9-0E6A-4BB0-A8DE-642414D0626D.jpeg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/07/21 at 6:40 pm

Maybe that's why she became a neuroscientist.

"Bialik went on to study for a doctorate in neuroscience. She took a break from studies in 2005 to return to acting.She returned to earn her Doctor of Philosophy degree in neuroscience from UCLA in 2007 under Dr. James McCracken. Her dissertation was titled  'Hypothalamic regulation in relation to maladaptive, obsessive-compulsive, affiliative and satiety behaviors in Prader–Willi syndrome'."
-Wikipeida

Written By: Howard on 10/08/21 at 4:24 am

^ I use to have a crush on the Ghostbusters back then!

Here is another photo of myself from 1989. Wearing my New Kids on the block fashion pin! Woohoo! It's a bit grainy because it's an old picture. I miss being that young...

https://i.ibb.co/ByNMgYS/IMG-20210915-144008-571.webp

Were you a fan of New Kids On The Block?

Written By: Howard on 10/08/21 at 4:26 am

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/5027F0C9-0E6A-4BB0-A8DE-642414D0626D.jpeg

I can't believe that was 32 years ago, she's pretty now compared what she looked like back then.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/11/21 at 6:22 am

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/BF7227DA-1B44-436D-B5D2-D931B2025C9F.png

Written By: violet_shy on 10/11/21 at 12:18 pm

Were you a fan of New Kids On The Block?

I was throughout 1989 and the beginning of 1990. Then I got older and moved on.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/21 at 4:07 am

I was throughout 1989 and the beginning of 1990. Then I got older and moved on.

I wasn't a fan but I liked the majority of their music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/13/21 at 6:53 am

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/BF7227DA-1B44-436D-B5D2-D931B2025C9F.png
Interesting, for "House of Cards" premiered on television in November 1990, not in 1989.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/14/21 at 11:01 pm

The picture was me agreeing with your comment on Mayim Bialik. You know F. U.’s catchphrase?

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/17/21 at 7:16 pm

On this day in 1989 was the San Francisco earthquake during the World Series between the SF Giants and the Oakland A's, which collapsed the bridge between the two teams.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/17/21 at 7:32 pm

On this day in 1989 was the San Francisco earthquake during the World Series between the SF Giants and the Oakland A's, which collapsed the bridge between the two teams.

I was watching the World Series on TV when that earthquake took place. What an ordeal! Everything went pitch black in the stadium. People were crawling over things trying to get out. When the news reports started pouring in it was like Armageddon. Fires, cars dangling off bridges...I immediately tried to call a friend I had in San Francisco (the days of landline phones) but could not get through for several days. He was OK, though a cake he had on a kitchen counter fell off and got squashed.

Written By: Howard on 10/18/21 at 3:48 am

I was watching the World Series on TV when that earthquake took place. What an ordeal! Everything went pitch black in the stadium. People were crawling over things trying to get out. When the news reports started pouring in it was like Armageddon. Fires, cars dangling off bridges...I immediately tried to call a friend I had in San Francisco (the days of landline phones) but could not get through for several days. He was OK, though a cake he had on a kitchen counter fell off and got squashed.

How big was this earthquake?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/21 at 3:52 am

The picture was me agreeing with your comment on Mayim Bialik. You know F. U.’s catchphrase?
You did not reply it with a quote, of the 'my' comment on Mayim Bialik, when it was Howard's comment?. How could I tell?

By the way, which one of his many quotes is F. U.’s catchphrase?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 10/18/21 at 4:18 pm

Sorry I got confused. F. U.’s most famous quote, I mean - “you may very well think that, I couldn’t possibly comment”.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/18/21 at 4:49 pm

How big was this earthquake?

Wasn't the word "armageddon" graphic enough for you? Or my description of the hellish scenes of fires and dangling cars? Not to mention the squashed cake! It was a big earthquake.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/24/21 at 8:24 pm

VAtGOESO7W8

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/28/21 at 9:09 pm

A few weeks late but I forgot to post on November 9 that on that day in 1989 was when the Berlin Wall came down.

And here are some songs I remember from around this time that year:

9SOryJvTAGs

hXCKLJGLENs

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/19/21 at 3:41 pm

Just watched this last night. One of my all-time favorite Christmas movies.

JqV260x3uGM

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/31/21 at 8:02 am

Here's my summary of all the things I think 1989 is remembered for:

Movies - Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II, Lethal Weapon 2, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Say Anything, Fields of Dreams, Do the Right Thing, The Abyss, Uncle Buck, Weekend at Bernie's
Music - New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli, Paula Abdul, Tom Petty, Bobby Brown, Tone Loc, B-52's "Love Shack", The Cure's "Love Song"
TV - Saved by the Bell, Baywatch, COPS, Mr. Bean, Family Matters, Arsenio Hall Show, The Simpsons, Doogie Howser M.D.
Video Games/trends - Nintendo Gameboy, Sega Genesis
News events - Fall of Berlin Wall, Tiananmen Square protests, SF earthquake, Exxon Valdez oil spill
Pop culture news - Madonna's controversial "Like a Prayer" video, Zsa Zsa Gabor slaps a police officer

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/31/21 at 12:04 pm

Zsa Zsa Gabor slaps a police officer

I remember when Zsa Zsa slapped the cop.  I don't know if it's all that historically relevant, but it was funny.  ;D ;D  She considered herself like royalty and above the law. Zsa Zsa Gabor was an early version of the Kardashian-like generic celebrities we now have so may of.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/21 at 2:35 pm

I remember when Zsa Zsa slapped the cop.  I don't know if it's all that historically relevant, but it was funny.  ;D ;D  She considered herself like royalty and above the law. Zsa Zsa Gabor was an early version of the Kardashian-like generic celebrities we now have so may of.

The Naked Gun 2 & 1/2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BI4F7ZgbHQ

Cat

Written By: Dude111 on 12/31/21 at 9:02 pm

Yea I saw Naked Gun 33 1/3 but i didnt like it,kinda stupid I dunno......

I like the first Lethal Weapon but I dont really any after the first...

Written By: Howard on 01/01/22 at 3:50 am

Yea I saw Naked Gun 33 1/3 but i didnt like it,kinda stupid I dunno......

I like the first Lethal Weapon but I dont really any after the first...

I thought The Naked Gun films were pretty funny.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 01/03/22 at 3:33 pm

Here's the last song that was played on 1026 AM 3TT's breakfast
show before the station signed off from the old basement studios at 61 Flinders Lane in 1989:
Dean Martin - Memories Are Made Of This

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KqVUwJvde44

And the song that aired from Queensbridge Street immediately after 9am
on that morning in January 1989 was Cliff Richard - Wired For
Sound:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mln0I6yB_E

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/22 at 6:35 am

I thought The Naked Gun films were pretty funny.
I thought "The Naked Gun" films were very funny.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 01/05/22 at 9:21 am

Lesliie Nielsen was reasonably decent but very one-note. I’d like to visit that AU where a Lesley Anne Nielsen was doing acting, though…

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/22 at 9:53 am

Lesliie Nielsen was reasonably decent but very one-note. I’d like to visit that AU where a Lesley Anne Nielsen was doing acting, though…
AU?

...and who is Lesley Anne Nielsen?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 01/05/22 at 10:06 am

AU = alternate universe where Leslie was born a girl called Lesley

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/22 at 10:09 am

AU = alternate universe where Leslie was born a girl called Lesley
But there is no alternative universe. Leslie was Leslie as he was.

Written By: Howard on 01/05/22 at 3:52 pm

I thought "The Naked Gun" films were very funny.

Which ones were your favorite?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/22 at 3:59 pm

Which ones were your favorite?
I liked them all, and remembering that it was a long time ago I saw them.

Check for new replies or respond here...