inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Songs of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/21 at 2:41 pm

Of course "Weird Al" Yankovic was the king of this, but let us not forget some of the others that were out there.

Here is one from 1985 called N-N-Nineteen Not out by British comedian Rory Bremner performing under the name The Commentators.  It was a song about the 1984 Cricket Home Series and the poor performance of team England in which their Captain averaged 19.  It is based on the #1 hit 19 by Paul Hardcastle.  I don't know much about the sport of Cricket, but how he replaced the Vietnam War with Cricket was done quite well!

Y3WOfDoo3nE 00TEUo9I194

Subject: Re: Parody Songs of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/21 at 2:58 pm

In 1984, Cyndi Lauper sang that Girls just want to have fun, but what do Boys want?  Sex of course!  This one by a group called Exude came out in later that same year and aired on the Doctor Demento Radio Show.  I don't know how well this one fared in other countries, but it peaked at #44 here in Canada

4n6YFvmtk7o PIb6AZdTr-A

Check for new replies or respond here...