inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cold War British video for armed forces on traveling through East Germany

Written By: Elor on 02/20/21 at 4:13 am

Since me mentioning crossing the border into the GDR and the reunification of Germany in the 1989 throwback thread was met with some interest I thought this might be interesting to some of you as well. It's an 80ies video with detailed instructions for British soldiers on how to travel from West Germany through East Germany to get to West Berlin (which was at the time deep in East German territory but was part of West Germany... Everyone wanted a part of Berlin after WWII ;)).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1xvtLV8Xw
I'm not sure how difficult it was for West Germans to transit through the GDR to get to West Berlin but I know that traveling to an East German location was quite the ordeal at the border that took several hours. You needed a visa, got forced to exchange money and you got your car and luggage searched (if a car was deemed suspicious the driver could be forced to strip parts off of it to reveal what was behind them. If you did not have the mechanical know how you could hire a GDR mechanic to do it for you...for a fee of course. Never happened to us though and I don't know how frequent that was).

Subject: Re: Cold War British video for armed forces on traveling through East Germany

Written By: karen on 02/21/21 at 6:05 am

I thought this was great.

In the section about being in Berlin it shows the concern and slight paranoia the armed forces had around what the Russians might be up to.

Subject: Re: Cold War British video for armed forces on traveling through East Germany

Written By: Elor on 04/14/22 at 10:36 am

Here is another home video from near the Berlin wall just a few moths before it came down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCy2DqPt9Gk
Looks like a completely different world than today.
I can't believe some people want that back.
BTW the old guy around the 15min mark is complaining about the sprayer and the "uglyfying" of the wall and that that should be illegal... (because the grey concrete thing was so beautiful before...guess the "get off my lawn" type of senior citizens are universal around the world. ;D)

Check for new replies or respond here...