inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you've lived through the '80s, you're so lucky

Written By: Slim95 on 02/25/21 at 3:01 pm

I look at videos like these and it looks like a parallel universe.

RYbe-35_BaA

Subject: Re: If you've lived through the '80s, you're so lucky

Written By: violet_shy on 02/25/21 at 5:30 pm

I can remember 1982 and on. I was born in 80 so 80 and 81 are just dark and fuzzy. The era of my childhood, one of the best decades!

Written By: Howard on 02/26/21 at 8:17 am

I can remember 1982 and on. I was born in 80 so 80 and 81 are just dark and fuzzy. The era of my childhood, one of the best decades!

I was born in 1974 and I can probably remember some things after 1980 but after a while they do become fuzzy and some things include family sitcoms, cartoons and children's television programming.

Subject: If you've lived through the '80s, you're so lucky

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:09 pm

I look at videos like these and it looks like a parallel universe.

Yes the 80s were beautiful for the most part....

Written By: CarCar on 03/10/21 at 12:48 am

Everyone who lived through the 80s is lucky they survived cause I really don’t know how. Everything in the 80s and even 90s tbh looks like it could kill you

Written By: Howard on 03/10/21 at 4:19 am

Everyone who lived through the 80s is lucky they survived cause I really don’t know how. Everything in the 80s and even 90s tbh looks like it could kill you

In what way?  ???

Written By: violet_shy on 03/10/21 at 6:53 am

This scared me when I read it lol. Did I miss something? Why would it kill us?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/21 at 8:26 am

In what way?  ???

Until the end of the Cold War, we all lived under the threat of nuclear war in the 80s. Especially with Reagan's "Star Wars" program. AIDS was new then too and nobody knew what it was (at first) or what to do about it. Reagan even talked, however briefly, about calling the National Guard and putting gay people (as well as hemophiliacs and Haitian people, the other two original demographic populations with AIDS) in CONCENTRATION CAMPS  (he called them something else, but that's what they were). Honestly, I don't get this rosy fake picture so many people have here about the 80s.

Wikipedia:

The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), nicknamed the "Star Wars program", was a proposed missile defense system intended to protect the United States from attack by ballistic strategic nuclear weapons (intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched ballistic missiles). The concept was first announced on March 23, 1983 by President Ronald Reagan.

Written By: Elor on 03/10/21 at 12:59 pm

Until the end of the Cold War, we all lived under the threat of nuclear war in the 80s. Especially with Reagan's "Star Wars" program. AIDS was new then too and nobody knew what it was (at first) or what to do about it. Reagan even talked, however briefly, about calling the National Guard and putting gay people (as well as hemophiliacs and Haitian people, the other two original demographic populations with AIDS) in CONCENTRATION CAMPS  (he called them something else, but that's what they were). Honestly, I don't get this rosy fake picture so many people have here about the 80s.

I guess it depends on where you lived and how old you were. Well, the 80ies were certainly an amazing time to be a kid in West Germany.
We were the front line of the cold war and the nuclear scare was never as big here as in the US (no duck and cover lessons here ;) ). The threat had been around since the 50ies and people didn't worry much about it anymore, maybe it was some sort of fatigue but I never heard anyone saying here that he was scared of nuclear war in the 80ies in Europe.
I'm not sure about AIDS but I don't remember it being a huge thing here either but that might just be because of my age. However the one thing that really sucked in the 80ies was the Chernobyl disaster (which probably didn't have much of an impact in the US). Even though we're about 1,500 miles away some parts of Germany were hit by radioactive downfall. I remember that I was still in Kindergarten and wasn't allowed to play outside anymore all of a sudden...  :-[
Apart from that most of my (childhood) memories of that decade are very positive (toys, computers, cartoons, movies and music, fall of the Berlin Wall). My parents were rather fond of that decade as well.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/21 at 1:41 pm

There was also the awful famine in Ethiopia, which resulted in the whole "We Are the World"/"Live Aid" thing, although in the end that didn't really help much. They put on a heck of a concert, though.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/10/21 at 1:53 pm

Maybe for the adults who were over 25 it wasn't that good a decade. But for me personally, the 1980s were the greatest. Growing up(kids and teens) we had the best playthings and toys. All of those great music videos and movies. I miss that time... :\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/21 at 3:42 pm

Maybe for the adults who were over 25 it wasn't that good a decade. But for me personally, the 1980s were the greatest. Growing up(kids and teens) we had the best playthings and toys. All of those great music videos and movies. I miss that time... :\'(

Where do you come up with this figure of 25? Anybody over 12 or so with any awareness would notice what's going on in the world. Teens are highly sensitive and notice things. Teens of the 60s and 70s participated in civil rights marches, anti war marches, etc.  If teens of the 80s were, as you said, more interested in "playthings, toys, music videos and movies" it was likely part of the whole "Alex P. Keaton" syndrome of the 80s where youth became very conservative and materialistic. "I am a material girl and this is a material world", jingoistic movies like "Top Gun" etc.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/10/21 at 4:21 pm

Where do you come up with this figure of 25? Anybody over 12 or so with any awareness would notice what's going on in the world. Teens are highly sensitive and notice things. Teens of the 60s and 70s participated in civil rights marches, anti war marches, etc.  If teens of the 80s were, as you said, more interested in "playthings, toys, music videos and movies" it was likely part of the whole "Alex P. Keaton" syndrome of the 80s where youth became very conservative and materialistic. "I am a material girl and this is a material world", jingoistic movies like "Top Gun" etc.

A 12 year old doesn't understand some of the things adults watch on the news. I know I didn't when I was growing up. I have a nephew who is 13 and all he wants to do is play XBox and attend class like his peers. Play football or just hang out with friends. Do you really think kids and teens watch the news? Maybe older teens do...18 or 19 year olds. But not a small child. 12 is small to me. Too young for that.

Written By: wagonman76 on 03/10/21 at 6:38 pm

Just watched the video. Looked like something I’d see on an 80s movie. Our 7-11 stores are long gone. Never had one in my town but a couple nearby cities of a few thousand people had them. This must have been filmed in the big city because then or now, we wouldn’t have that kind of activity at 2:30 am, or such a variety of nationalities. Still got lots of square body Chevy truck enthusiasts. The smoking in stores and restaurants was commonplace back then. Smoking is still allowed where I work but most places it is banned.

My mom used to tell us if a nuclear war happened the entire world would be dead. Later on I learned the rest of the world survived just fine after Hiroshima.

I guess all of us who survived the 80s and any earlier time should be lucky to be alive. The way modern society tries to protect us from ourselves. It wasn’t all sunshine and roses, but in that respect it was.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/10/21 at 7:26 pm

Just watched the video. Looked like something I’d see on an 80s movie. Our 7-11 stores are long gone. Never had one in my town but a couple nearby cities of a few thousand people had them. This must have been filmed in the big city because then or now, we wouldn’t have that kind of activity at 2:30 am, or such a variety of nationalities. Still got lots of square body Chevy truck enthusiasts. The smoking in stores and restaurants was commonplace back then. Smoking is still allowed where I work but most places it is banned.

My mom used to tell us if a nuclear war happened the entire world would be dead. Later on I learned the rest of the world survived just fine after Hiroshima.

I guess all of us who survived the 80s and any earlier time should be lucky to be alive. The way modern society tries to protect us from ourselves. It wasn’t all sunshine and roses, but in that respect it was.

If nuclear war happened the whole world WOULD be dead. Or the survivors would wish they were. The atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, horrid and unspeakable as they were, were not "nuclear war".

Written By: Howard on 03/11/21 at 4:18 am

I miss the 1980's too, it surely was a great time, culture-wise.

Written By: karen on 03/11/21 at 8:53 am

A 12 year old doesn't understand some of the things adults watch on the news. I know I didn't when I was growing up. I have a nephew who is 13 and all he wants to do is play XBox and attend class like his peers. Play football or just hang out with friends. Do you really think kids and teens watch the news? Maybe older teens do...18 or 19 year olds. But not a small child. 12 is small to me. Too young for that.

But you weren’t twelve for the entire eighties!

I joined Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament when I was 15, (so in 1984) and was quite active in that for a few years.

In the U.K. there were (are) several kids shows that feature serious articles, and fundraising for various charities. Even at primary school we watched these shows, talked about them in school and collected and sent in whatever that years thing was (silver foil , used stamps, old glasses, etc are things I remember collecting).

There was also a news show on the BBC called Newsround that was on every weekday evening and featured the major news stories in a kid friendly way.

Written By: Elor on 03/11/21 at 9:28 am

(silver foil , used stamps, old glasses, etc are things I remember collecting).

What are used stamps good for? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/11/21 at 10:47 am

But you weren’t twelve for the entire eighties!

I joined Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament when I was 15, (so in 1984) and was quite active in that for a few years.

In the U.K. there were (are) several kids shows that feature serious articles, and fundraising for various charities. Even at primary school we watched these shows, talked about them in school and collected and sent in whatever that years thing was (silver foil , used stamps, old glasses, etc are things I remember collecting).

There was also a news show on the BBC called Newsround that was on every weekday evening and featured the major news stories in a kid friendly way.

Correct! Being young is no excuse. Kids are not oblivious. And even children's shows like Sesame Street here, starting in 1968, spoke of social causes and social justice in a gentle, kid friendly way. And promoted awareness of such things. The great singer/songwriter/activist Buffy Sainte-Marie even breastfed her infant son on Sesame Street in the late 70s and it was no big deal. That wouldn't happen today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L-Fg7lWgQ

Written By: karen on 03/11/21 at 12:06 pm

Never worked out why they wanted them, but always assumed it was for stamp collectors to buy any rare ones that turned up. Seems a bit hit and miss as a fund raiser.

Turns out I was right
https://www.thepencompany.com/blog/letter-writing/used-postage-stamps/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/21 at 2:07 pm

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just two bombs in one part of the world, so naturally the rest of the world survived. But, Japan is STILL having issues from it. Those who did not die in the initial blast have/had lifelong illnesses. Survivors and their descendants all having higher risk of cancers and Leukemia. Birth defects were on the rise in the next generations.

All of that was just from TWO bombs. If there was a nuclear war, there are a lot more countries who have nuclear capability. There would be nothing left if countries decided to use much of their arsenal. 

Cat 

Written By: CarCar on 03/11/21 at 10:57 pm

Cause everything in the 80s literally looks dangerous as hell. Crack epidemic, AIDS, stranger danger and serial killers.

It just looks like a crazy time period to have been a kid/teenager tbh

Written By: CarCar on 03/11/21 at 10:59 pm

Wikipedia:

The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), nicknamed the "Star Wars program", was a proposed missile defense system intended to protect the United States from attack by ballistic strategic nuclear weapons (intercontinental ballistic missiles and submarine-launched ballistic missiles). The concept was first announced on March 23, 1983 by President Ronald Reagan.

Watching old clips of 80s New York will make you realize that in an instant lol

Honestly New York looks like it was ground zero for everything terrifying in America during the 1980s

Written By: nally on 03/11/21 at 10:59 pm

Maybe for the adults who were over 25 it wasn't that good a decade. But for me personally, the 1980s were the greatest. Growing up(kids and teens) we had the best playthings and toys.

I agree, I remember lots of the toys I had and played with. They were really colorful!

For the record I actually still have a few of them now...but they are packed away. (The thing is, a number of them had special significance in my life and I found it hard to part with them.)

Written By: nally on 03/11/21 at 11:02 pm

I admit that I did watch the news from time to time as a kid/preteen/tween, but not actively. However, when I was 11, I had "current events" homework once every week in which we had to find a newsworthy story to discuss; this motivated me to watch the news actively. In addition, the early 1990s had that Gulf War which I was well aware of because it was all over the news. Yeah, I had my own "things" going on but I was aware of national/global news.

Written By: CarCar on 03/11/21 at 11:13 pm

I admit that I did watch the news from time to time as a kid/preteen/tween, but not actively. However, when I was 11, I had "current events" homework once every week in which we had to find a newsworthy story to discuss; this motivated me to watch the news actively. In addition, the early 1990s had that Gulf War which I was well aware of because it was all over the news. Yeah, I had my own "things" going on but I was aware of national/global news.

Totally unrelated(well not completely) but my 8 year old niece only seems to care about roblox and tik tok nowadays despite being in the middle of a pandemic

I don’t think kids truly understand what’s going on in a way adults and even teenagers do.

Written By: nally on 03/11/21 at 11:20 pm

Totally unrelated(well not completely) but my 8 year old niece only seems to care about roblox and tik tok nowadays despite being in the middle of a pandemic

Well it is kinda related. Those things didn't exist when I was 8 (of course, for me that was 1988) but even if they did I probably wouldn't have had interest in 'em.

I don’t think kids truly understand what’s going on in a way adults and even teenagers do.

I agree. Their brains are still developing, for one thing, so it takes 'em a while to eventually have an understanding for certain things.

Written By: CarCar on 03/11/21 at 11:25 pm

Well it is kinda related. Those things didn't exist when I was 8 (of course, for me that was 1988) but even if they did I probably wouldn't have had interest in 'em.

I agree. Their brains are still developing, for one thing, so it takes 'em a while to eventually have an understanding for certain things.

Well I guess thats just how kids are today, they’re either playing with Tik Tok, PS5, Xbox one or watching videos on YouTube. Different mentality. People wearing masks now is probably the norm to them and many won’t remember the shift that happened in 2020

Many of these kids will probably have fond memories of today as they grow up despite growing up in the middle of a pandemic

Written By: nally on 03/11/21 at 11:28 pm

Well I guess thats just how kids are today, they’re either playing with Tik Tok, PS5, Xbox one or watching videos on YouTube. Different mentality. People wearing masks now is probably the norm to them and many won’t remember the shift that happened in 2020

Many of these kids will probably have fond memories of today as they grow up despite growing up in the middle of a pandemic

Yeah, for them it's all about technology rather than having a hands-on experience with physical toys, which is kinda sad. :-\\

Written By: CarCar on 03/11/21 at 11:41 pm

Yeah, for them it's all about technology rather than having a hands-on experience with physical toys, which is kinda sad. :-\\

Yeah I guess, they probably see that stuff as boring though lol

Such a generation gap

Written By: karen on 03/12/21 at 12:52 am

Not all kids only play with technology even today

Written By: CarCar on 03/12/21 at 2:03 am

Not all kids only play with technology even today
n

Obviously not but technology like this didn’t exist in the 1980s

Problems to get kids to play and exercise didn’t seem like a thing in the 80s

Written By: Elor on 03/12/21 at 4:02 am

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were just two bombs in one part of the world, so naturally the rest of the world survived. But, Japan is STILL having issues from it. Those who did not die in the initial blast have/had lifelong illnesses. Survivors and their descendants all having higher risk of cancers and Leukemia. Birth defects were on the rise in the next generations.

All of that was just from TWO bombs. If there was a nuclear war, there are a lot more countries who have nuclear capability. There would be nothing left if countries decided to use much of their arsenal. 

Not to mention that those bombs had a rather small yield compared to more modern ones. Nuclear winter would have been a thing too if many bombs were used at the same time.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/21 at 7:06 am

I'm pretty sure they can be used for something. ???

Written By: Howard on 03/12/21 at 7:08 am

Watching old clips of 80s New York will make you realize that in an instant lol

Honestly New York looks like it was ground zero for everything terrifying in America during the 1980s

If you typed into YouTube "New York In The 1980's", there would be videos of how life was back then way before the pandemic.

Written By: nally on 03/12/21 at 4:46 pm

Obviously not but technology like this didn’t exist in the 1980s

True that!

Problems to get kids to play and exercise didn’t seem like a thing in the 80s

yep...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/21 at 6:01 pm

Not to mention that those bombs had a rather small yield compared to more modern ones. Nuclear winter would have been a thing too if many bombs were used at the same time.

Exactly!

Cat

Written By: Contigo on 03/12/21 at 6:10 pm

Fully agreed . At age 12, all us kids were so interested in the space program.
Never missed a launch on TV. When Neil Armstrong walked on the moon , so many of us were motivated to become astronauts . The murders of MLK and RFK the year before made us so aware of social issues and racism . I recall some discussions in the classroom around this time period .
The 80s were the materialistic "Me"decade (Al Franken)

Written By: CarCar on 03/13/21 at 1:00 pm

Fully agreed . At age 12, all us kids were so interested in the space program.
Never missed a launch on TV. When Neil Armstrong walked on the moon , so many of us were motivated to become astronauts . The murders of MLK and RFK the year before made us so aware of social issues and racism . I recall some discussions in the classroom around this time period .
The 80s were the materialistic "Me"decade (Al Franken)

Kids are always more optimistic about the problems around the world around them and what they can achieve in comparison to us cynical and defeated adults. That’s what happens when you become aware of the problems surrounding you

Written By: Howard on 03/13/21 at 3:19 pm

I remember when I was growing up my consoles back then were Vectrex, Nintendo and The Atari 2600.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/13/21 at 3:29 pm

I remember when I was growing up my consoles back then were Vectrex, Nintendo and The Atari 2600.

Did you have an Intellivision? We did back in the day. It was the first gaming console we owned.

Written By: nally on 03/13/21 at 3:43 pm

I didn't have any consoles when I was a kid. In fact, the very first videogame system of any kind I ever received was a Nintendo Gameboy, in the early 1990s. I still have it today.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/21 at 3:52 pm

Did you have an Intellivision? We did back in the day. It was the first gaming console we owned.

I remember playing those but I never owned them.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/21 at 3:53 pm

I didn't have any consoles when I was a kid. In fact, the very first videogame system of any kind I ever received was a Nintendo Gameboy, in the early 1990s. I still have it today.

My Gameboy is in crap condition.

Written By: nally on 03/13/21 at 3:54 pm

Not mine; I store mine in its protective case. And last time I played with it, it still worked like a charm.

Written By: Moonlighting on 03/13/21 at 7:43 pm

Contrary to some people's opinion's, the 80s were not a total void when it came to having a social conscience. I was a child in the '80s, but I was very aware of the "hole in the ozone" and the need to eliminate propellant sprays, HIV/AIDS and the gay community and the issues of social stigma which came to the forefront, there was a focus on New Age spirituality in the 2nd half of the '80s with popular books like Communion and Out on a Limb (which was made into a 2 part, prime-time TV mini-series that I watched as an 11 year old). Many people were very concerned with the environment, wildlife conservation, and I'm personally a lifelong animal lover (vegetarian, & don't wear leather). Yes, the '80s had a lot more technology and gadgets and was a more consumer-driven time...but people still had concerns about larger issues. Even as a kid, I knew about many of these issues and some of them we'd talk about in class in grade school.

As for the OP's video, I don't see it as all that different....Put more modern fashions on those people and they talk and act just like many young people do today.

And yes, the '80s were a wonderful time to have been a kid. But I think it's natural for adults to idealize their childhoods, regardless of which decade it took place. ;-)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/13/21 at 8:10 pm

Contrary to some people's opinion's, the 80s were not a total void when it came to having a social conscience. I was a child in the '80s, but I was very aware of the "hole in the ozone" and the need to eliminate propellant sprays, HIV/AIDS and the gay community and the issues of social stigma which came to the forefront, there was a focus on New Age spirituality in the 2nd half of the '80s with popular books like Communion and Out on a Limb (which was made into a 2 part, prime-time TV mini-series that I watched as an 11 year old). Many people were very concerned with the environment, wildlife conservation, and I'm personally a lifelong animal lover (vegetarian, & don't wear leather). Yes, the '80s had a lot more technology and gadgets and was a more consumer-driven time...but people still had concerns about larger issues. Even as a kid, I knew about many of these issues and some of them we'd talk about in class in grade school.

As for the OP's video, I don't see it as all that different....Put more modern fashions on those people and they talk and act just like many young people do today.

And yes, the '80s were a wonderful time to have been a kid. But I think it's natural for adults to idealize their childhoods, regardless of which decade it took place. ;-)

I remember the "Out On A Limb" book by Shirley MacLaine. I bought it when it came out.

As for the social consciousness of the 80s, don't forget Live Aid, which was a benefit for Ethiopian famine relief. Even if most of the food, medical supplies, etc never really got to the intended place. They should have seen THAT coming if they learned anything from the Concert for Bangladesh, which I believe is still tied up in litigation to this day. And out of Live Aid sprung Farm Aid (due to comments made by Bob Dylan that day), which goes on to this day and has done some good.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/21 at 4:42 am

Not mine; I store mine in its protective case. And last time I played with it, it still worked like a charm.

I haven't played with it in so many years that it might have started to deteriorate.

Written By: nally on 03/14/21 at 11:56 am

I haven't played with it in so many years that it might have started to deteriorate.

Do you store it in such a way that it gets protected, or not?

Written By: Howard on 03/15/21 at 4:01 am

Do you store it in such a way that it gets protected, or not?

I have it in this small storage box.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 9:30 am

You then cannot even sell it on eBay?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/21 at 1:42 pm

Not necessarily. You would be surprise at what people sell (and buy). My sister sold a old, ratty, dirty pair of sneakers for over $200.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 1:45 pm

Not necessarily. You would be surprise at what people sell (and buy). My sister sold a old, ratty, dirty pair of sneakers for over $200.  :o :o :o

Cat
Probably sell old Jelly Shoes too?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 2:33 pm

Sometimes people buy old, broken electronics on Ebay for parts.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/21 at 2:34 pm

Sometimes people buy old, broken electronics on Ebay for parts.
Solved!

Howard please take note.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/18/21 at 2:44 pm

Solved!

Howard please take note.

He might be holding onto it for sentimental reasons.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/21 at 3:17 pm

I might just think about bringing it to my donation bin.

Written By: Howard on 03/18/21 at 3:19 pm

He might be holding onto it for sentimental reasons.

I've been keeping it in a small storage box for the past 20 years.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/15/21 at 8:07 pm

Ouch my heart!

The 1980s will always have a special place in my memory.

Written By: whistledog on 04/16/21 at 10:18 pm

I was 3 years old in 1980, and being a kid, what I mostly remember are the cartoons and tv shows I would watch, and now that I am older, I remember the songs that I would hear on the radio when I was young

Written By: violet_shy on 04/16/21 at 11:20 pm

I was 3 years old in 1980, and being a kid, what I mostly remember are the cartoons and tv shows I would watch, and now that I am older, I remember the songs that I would hear on the radio when I was young

The same here. 80s cartoons, TV shows, Music videos, and music. Best times ever!

Written By: Howard on 04/17/21 at 4:33 am

I was 6 years old in 1980 and the fun part about being a kid was watching my cartoons in front of the TV, rode my bike and played with my best friends.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/21 at 1:29 pm

I was 15 years old when The 80's ended.

Check for new replies or respond here...