inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What the last 80s album you bought?

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/21 at 5:08 pm

I just ordered ACDC's 1983 record "Flick of the switch" the other day.....

Subject: Re: What the last 80s album you bought?

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/21 at 6:00 pm

Instincts by Romeo Void

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/06/21 at 6:39 pm

Whatever I bought before Dec. 31, 1989. Some good ones I bought in 1989 include "Oh Mercy" by Bob Dylan (produced by Daniel Lanois) which is a beautiful album, and "Freedom" by Neil Young which contained the anthem "Rockin In the Free World". I was still buying albums and ultimately cassettes at that point (I VERY reluctantly went from albums to cassettes in the late 80s when it seemed there was no other choice anymore), and REALLY went reluctantly to CDs in the early 90s when there was absolutely no choice anymore.

Written By: violet_shy on 03/06/21 at 8:07 pm

The last 80s music I bought is not a album, it's a cassette single. "Love will lead you back" by Taylor Dayne.(1989)

Written By: karen on 03/07/21 at 5:53 am

Absolutely no clue what was the last album I bought in the 80s, but I bought Total: From Joy Division to New Order, the 2011 compilation in 2019 in a sale in HMV.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/21 at 7:19 am

Well it wasn't an album, it was actually a CD, Bad By Michael Jackson.

Written By: karen on 03/07/21 at 7:46 am

Mine was a cd too, but I would use album to separate it from a single track.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/07/21 at 2:50 pm

Does adding an album to Spotify count? Lol. As for purchased, I don't remember. Probably one of CD's from '89 like B-52's Cosmic Thing.

Written By: Dude111 on 03/07/21 at 9:07 pm

Well it wasn't an album, it was actually a CD, Bad By Michael Jackson.

Yup thats an album also,thank ya buddy!!

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/07/21 at 9:31 pm

Within the last couple years I bought David Bowie's Let's Dance on CD.  I formerly had access to it on vinyl and made a home rolled cassette tape of it, which I have.  That's no longer sufficient.  Incidentally the CD was used.

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/08/21 at 3:07 pm

If my next birthday pans out as hoped, I'll have my hands on Peter Gabriel's 'Melt'.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Dude111 on 11/20/22 at 9:40 am

Yes - Beg generator (1987)

It was in the $1 bin at this record store I goto alot.....

I would say BIG GENERATOR is thier last good album!!!!

Written By: robby76 on 12/27/22 at 8:58 am

Mine was the cd re-issue of LaToya Jackson's 1981 album "My Special Love".

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/22 at 11:36 am

Both vinyls: I recently picked up the 1984 self-titled album by Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit and the 1988 self-titled debut by Colin James.  The latter one skips, which made me sad.  It had 5 hits, all which still get regular play on Canadian radio and are still fantastic to this day!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Nick_Lowe_and_His_Cowboy_Outfit_%28album%29.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/ba/Colin_James_%28Colin_James_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Written By: Dude111 on 01/10/23 at 8:52 pm

The last 80s album I got was last week and it is

STEVE WINWOOD - Talking Back to the Night

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/23 at 9:14 pm

The last 80s album I got was last week and it is

STEVE WINWOOD - Talking Back to the Night

Interesting situation that "Talking back to the Night"...as a huge Winwood/Traffic fan I was somewhat disappointed with it after the massive surprise/success of the excellent "Arc of a Diver". Something about the mixes just weren't right. Too claustrophobic or something. Winwood must have felt the same way because circa 1987 a Winwwod "best of" compilation called "Chronicles" came out which included three songs from "Talking Back to the Night",  ("Valerie", "Help Me Angel and "Talking Back to the Night") and all of them were radically remixed. For the better. I'm usually not a fan of remixes long after the fact (like this awfulness they are now doing with things like The Beatles "Revolver" album). But in the case of the "Talking Back tot he Night" songs, it needed to be done. I might add that none of the other songs on "Chronicles" were remixed. They didn't need to be.

Written By: fusefan on 05/18/23 at 8:21 pm

Art Of Noise - Legs

GQ - TWO

Kurtis Blow - Ego Trip

Country - Charles Gross (one of those Windam Hill titles I usually pick up because WH has plenty of chill piano music to play in the background)

Check for new replies or respond here...