inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where did the 80s fashion style come from ?

Written By: CarCar on 03/13/21 at 9:39 pm

We always hear about the influences on modern fashion but what about what influenced the fashion of decades past.

What eras/inspirations influenced people in the 80s to dress the way they did

Subject: Re: Where did the 80s fashion style come from ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/21 at 1:06 am

Calvin Klein. Calvin Klein was one of the most successful fashion designers of the 1980s?

Ralph Lauren. Ralph Lauren was the first American designer with a European boutique in 1981?

Written By: Howard on 03/14/21 at 4:37 am

I guess watching TV advertisements and listening to radio commercials.

Written By: CarCar on 03/14/21 at 10:38 am

Calvin Klein. Calvin Klein was one of the most successful fashion designers of the 1980s?

Ralph Lauren. Ralph Lauren was the first American designer with a European boutique in 1981?

I meant what influenced the style not literally sold people it lol

Written By: violet_shy on 03/16/21 at 2:55 pm

Maybe some 50s influence? But other than that I don't think 80s fashion had any influences from previous decades.

Written By: karen on 03/17/21 at 7:30 am

Maybe some 50s influence? But other than that I don't think 80s fashion had any influences from previous decades.

I would say this for some clothing. I wore a blue and white striped top that my mum had worn in the fifties. I also used some of her sewing patterns to make some outfits. And she helped make some items without a pattern as she had made similar things as a teenager herself (pedal pushers for one)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/17/21 at 9:06 am

I would say this for some clothing. I wore a blue and white striped top that my mum had worn in the fifties. I also used some of her sewing patterns to make some outfits. And she helped make some items without a pattern as she had made similar things as a teenager herself (pedal pushers for one)

Correct. Much of 80s style was 50s redux. Ties and lapels went from the wide, wide styles of the 70s to narrow and skinny. People started wearing those annoying pointy style of horn rim glasses again. This coincided with a return to conservative 50s politics in the 80s and, to some extent, a more 50-ish approach to music via so-called "new wave". Gone were the long, rambling album side-long musical experiments of the 70s in favor of short, punchy, almost 50s sounding songs, except with synths. I wasn't thrilled with any of this, but that's just me.

Check for new replies or respond here...