inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where did Michael Jackson get the idea for the Moonwalk?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/21 at 10:33 am

It has been claimed that while watching on Top of the Pops, Michael Jackson saw Shalamar's "A Night to Remember" in which Shalamar member Jeffrey Daniel dance in a modern body-popping way, that included what we now know as the Moonwalk. In a BBC interview, Jeffrey Daniel believes this. The UK music show Top of the Pops was broadcasted in June 1982, and www sources have MJ first performed the dance in public on March 25, 1983, in front of a live audience at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.

The Moonwalk can be seen at 2:00 on the below video.

END_WYdf8pw

Subject: Re: Where did Michael Jackson get the idea for the Moonwalk?

Written By: violet_shy on 04/26/21 at 5:28 pm

I never knew this. But I will always think of Michael Jackson when I watch the moonwalk.

Off topic, I like this song by Shalamar, "A night to remember".

Written By: Howard on 04/27/21 at 7:47 am

It has been claimed that while watching on Top of the Pops, Michael Jackson saw Shalamar's "A Night to Remember" in which Shalamar member Jeffrey Daniel dance in a modern body-popping way, that included what we now know as the Moonwalk. In a BBC interview, Jeffrey Daniel believes this. The UK music show Top of the Pops was broadcasted in June 1982, and www sources have MJ first performed the dance in public on March 25, 1983, in front of a live audience at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium.

The Moonwalk can be seen at 2:00 on the below video.

END_WYdf8pw

Probably by watching other singers do it themselves, maybe that's where he got the idea?

Written By: robby76 on 04/27/21 at 10:55 am

Yep I heard that story too. Think it's pretty official.

However, there is a video on YouTube showing really old dances from way back when and they all do a version of the moonwalk slide. I'll link it...

35nIo8aBw-g

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/27/21 at 11:01 am

Yep I heard that story too. Think it's pretty official.

However, there is a video on YouTube showing really old dances from way back when and they all do a version of the moonwalk slide. I'll link it...

35nIo8aBw-g
Is that the Bill Bailey video?

I was all set up to start searching for it when I broadband went down for the umpteenth time today.

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/21 at 12:22 am

Yeah.  As far as I know, Jeffrey Daniel was the first person to do the one that Michael Jackson made world famous.  The first time Jackson did it was at the Motown 25th anniversary special on NBC on March 25, 1983 as Phil had mentioned

I don't know if Jackson ever credited that move as his own, but if he ever did, it would 100% be a false claim

Check for new replies or respond here...