inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where does Disco end, and Electro-Pop begin for you? Where did Post-Disco fit?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/21/21 at 12:21 pm

Musically, where does Disco end and Electro-Pop or Dance music of the early 1980s (let's say up from '80 to around the first half of 1984) end? Where does Post-Disco fit? That Giorgio Moroder sound that lasted until around 84? Was it something different or a natural evolution of the late 70s sound?

For example, where would you place songs like "Rush, Rush" by Debbie Harry from 1983? "Self Control" by Laura Brannigan with those Disco guitar riffs?

Subject: Re: Where does Disco end, and Electro-Pop begin for you? Where did Post-Disco fit?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/21/21 at 12:32 pm

Musically, where does Disco end and Electro-Pop or Dance music of the early 1980s (let's say up from '80 to around the first half of 1984) end? Where does Post-Disco fit? That Giorgio Moroder sound that lasted until around 84? Was it something different or a natural evolution of the late 70s sound?

For example, where would you place songs like "Rush, Rush" by Debbie Harry from 1983? "Self Control" by Laura Brannigan with those Disco guitar riffs?

That Giorgio Moroder is not "post disco". It was there right from the beginning and throughout the disco era, Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" from 1977 is an example.

Subject: Re: Where does Disco end, and Electro-Pop begin for you? Where did Post-Disco fit?

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/21 at 12:37 pm

I would say maybe mid 1981 was when the transition officially started.  It was said that Disco died in 1979, which is 100% false as there were still a good chunk of disco songs entering the charts ...

- Upside Down by Diana Ross was a #1 hit in the US/Canada in September of 1980
- Medley I by Stars on 45 was a #1 hit in the US/Canada in June of 1981

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 12:38 pm

When did The Bee Gees stop writing disco hits?

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/21 at 1:46 pm

Who said they ever stopped? lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/21 at 1:49 pm

Who said they ever stopped? lol
With time and with great sadness did bring an end?

Written By: Howard on 05/21/21 at 1:57 pm

I would say after after 1980, disco was on it's way out.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 4:37 am

That Giorgio Moroder is not "post disco". It was there right from the beginning and throughout the disco era, Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" from 1977 is an example.

Yes but look at like Scarface, right? 1983, so produced in 1982. His stuff is all over that soundtrack, and maybe the fashions depicted ain't squarely "Disco fashions" but go ask any regular Joe on the street and those wide collared shirts are Disco, you know?

https://cdn.artphotolimited.com/images/5b9fc1ecac06024957be8806/1000x1000/al-pacino-dans-une-scene-du-film-scarface.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qK%2BjC8n0L._AC_.jpg

Or even when Al Bundy's actor in an episode of Miami Vice

http://d1378t5yqi6qpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/14123901/222.jpg

Feel like a remnant of that look and sound was still around in 1982, 1983. Even if it had mutated into some form that the listening audiences of 1975 might not have immediately recognized or had the marketplace dominance it had in say, 1978.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/21 at 6:45 am

Yes but look at like Scarface, right? 1983, so produced in 1982. His stuff is all over that soundtrack, and maybe the fashions depicted ain't squarely "Disco fashions" but go ask any regular Joe on the street and those wide collared shirts are Disco, you know?

https://cdn.artphotolimited.com/images/5b9fc1ecac06024957be8806/1000x1000/al-pacino-dans-une-scene-du-film-scarface.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51qK%2BjC8n0L._AC_.jpg

Or even when Al Bundy's actor in an episode of Miami Vice

http://d1378t5yqi6qpe.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/14123901/222.jpg

Feel like a remnant of that look and sound was still around in 1982, 1983. Even if it had mutated into some form that the listening audiences of 1975 might not have immediately recognized or had the marketplace dominance it had in say, 1978.

So, why were they wearing them during The 80's?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/21 at 8:56 am

This topic here contains the answer.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=34006.0

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/21 at 8:03 pm

This topic here contains the answer.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=34006.0

Instead of answering, why are you just linking old threads? I don't see you doing it to others' threads, even though every thread that could be made has already been made. Would I be wrong in detecting quite a level of negation and a lot of passive aggressiveness to it? I usually am not wrong with reading intent, so I will assume the answer is yes.

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/21 at 11:17 pm

Instead of answering, why are you just linking old threads? I don't see you doing it to others' threads, even though every thread that could be made has already been made. Would I be wrong in detecting quite a level of negation and a lot of passive aggressiveness to it? I usually am not wrong with reading intent, so I will assume the answer is yes.

Phil was pointing out that a similar topic exists

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/27/21 at 11:26 am

I would say maybe mid 1981 was when the transition officially started...

I would say after after 1980, disco was on it's way out.

Having lived through this period as an attentive adult consumer (age 20 in 1980), I concur.  There was a smidge of disco limping along in 1981, but the keyword is limping.  Not that there wasn't dance music around; on the contrary, there was tons of dance music.  But Disco was a bad word by late 1980 and no one wanted to tie their music to this dying genre anymore, at least using that label.  New forms of dance music (many Disco-influenced) were taking over.

As far as Scarface's wardrobe, a lot of people looked like that in the early 80s; it wasn't about "Disco".  I recall my Dad wore wide collar shirts like that in the early 80's and he despised Disco.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/21 at 1:45 pm

Having lived through this period as an attentive adult consumer (age 20 in 1980), I concur.  There was a smidge of disco limping along in 1981, but the keyword is limping.  Not that there wasn't dance music around; on the contrary, there was tons of dance music.  But Disco was a bad word by late 1980 and no one wanted to tie their music to this dying genre anymore, at least using that label.  New forms of dance music (many Disco-influenced) were taking over.

As far as Scarface's wardrobe, a lot of people looked like that in the early 80s; it wasn't about "Disco".  I recall my Dad wore wide collar shirts like that in the early 80's and he despised Disco.

AG, So let's say for example and it's just an example, What if disco hadn't been "killed off" and it had lived on during The 1980's? If you could have gone back 42 years ago and let disco live on, would you have done it?  ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/27/21 at 3:23 pm

AG, So let's say for example and it's just an example, What if disco hadn't been "killed off" and it had lived on during The 1980's? If you could have gone back 42 years ago and let disco live on, would you have done it?  ???

Disco was never "killed off". It fell from popularity. I hope you aren't referring to that tiresome "disco demolition night". It was a radio station publicity stunt that went wrong. It had nothing to do with he demise of disco. For some reason people who weren't around back then seem to think that was a definitive moment or something, which it was not. Radio station publicity stunts don't kill things off, and people in most parts of the country never even heard of "disco demolition night" at the time. They burned thousands of Beatles records in Chester, South Carolina, on Aug. 11, 1966 (organized by the KKK by the way) in response to John Lennon's controversial remarks about the Beatles and Jesus, and that didn't end the Beatles either.

Once and for all, "disco demolition night" did not end disco. Disco faded of it's own accord, as everything eventually does.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/27/21 at 10:13 pm

I believe Disco had run its course by 1980ish.  Disco Demolition didn't cause its demise; it was rather a symptom of a larger sentiment.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/21 at 1:42 pm

What would you say about funk, I don't think it ended, it just changed it style and sound during The 1980's.

Check for new replies or respond here...