inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How MTV stopped playing music and lost its relevance

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/21 at 12:36 pm

Interesting article.

How MTV stopped playing music — and lost its relevance

https://nypost.com/article/how-mtv-stopped-playing-music-and-lost-its-relevance/

Excerpts:

As one of the five original VJs who launched MTV into the Moonman stratosphere 40 years ago, on Aug. 1, 1981, Alan Hunter helped put the video-bingeing network on the music map.

But when he trekked down to Daytona Beach, Fla., to cover “the chaos that was spring break” for the first time in 1986, little did he know that it was the beginning of the end for the M — music — in MTV.

“I was the VJ that loved being out of the studio the most, so I was the one they sent to spring break to be a part of the thousands of screaming young guys cracking beers over my head,” Hunter, 64, told The Post.

“And that was kind of the beginning of different kinds of shows that you would see. That was when MTV decided that they couldn’t just be a video jukebox forever. MTV began to train their cameras on the lifestyle of the young folks that were watching MTV.”

Thirty-five years after that coverage, there is a whole generation of young people who don’t know that MTV ever played music videos. Which helps explain why young pop stars such as Billie Eilish, Harry Styles and Megan Thee Stallion didn’t even bother to show up for the Video Music Awards last year. To them — and many others in the music industry and beyond — MTV simply isn’t relevant as the cultural force it used to be back when Madonna was humping around in a wedding gown to “Like a Virgin” at the 1984 VMAs, when Kurt Cobain was beautifully deconstructing Nirvana on “MTV Unplugged” in 1993, and Beyoncé and Jay-Z went public as a couple on “Total Request Live” in 2002.

We just don’t want our MTV anymore.

The MTV that people remember from the 1980s was a wonderful thing,” said former MTV producer Michael Alex. But, he added, nostalgia doesn’t pay the bills: “There’s the cultural loss versus MTV was an ongoing business trying to survive. The channel hung on as long as it could .”

Many single out “The Real World” — which premiered in 1992 and is largely credited (and sometimes blamed) for jump-starting the reality-television boom — for turning MTV into the “Teen Mom” and “Ridiculousness” universe that it is today. But that movement was already in motion.

Over time, MTV became known for Pauly Shore and then “Jersey Shore” as much as it used to be known for Michael Jackson and then Janet Jackson. “I would cover the Grammys, and I would go on the red carpet with Snooki,” said former MTV News senior writer and editor Gil Kaufman. “Snooki would be interviewing Katy Perry. Those people kind of became the face of MTV in the same way that Simon Le Bon or Boy George were the face of MTV at the beginning.”

Although “I don’t think anybody was particularly excited about it,” Kaufman said, “we understood that that’s the direction that things were going and that those decisions were being made in suites that were several floors above us. So you couldn’t turn it around, you know what I mean?”

The M that played the biggest factor in MTV’s change in direction was money. “I mean, MTV needed to make money, ultimately, and you can make more money with programming that sponsors can hang their hats on,” said Hunter. “And that was what the ’90s were all about.”

Even beyond the music, though, MTV doesn’t capture the zeitgeist of today’s youth the way it once did. In fact, it’s barely on the radar of the TikTok generation. “I have two teenage kids, and they know that I worked for MTV, but they’ve never seen MTV,” said Kaufman, who, after working at the network for 15-plus years, is now a senior contributing writer at Billboard. “They wouldn’t even know where to look for it.”

Subject: Re: How MTV stopped playing music and lost its relevance

Written By: violet_shy on 07/18/21 at 1:10 pm

It is certainly not what it use to be. I don't watch MTV anymore, I will watch MTV Classic where they play all of the classic 80s and 90s music videos.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/21 at 1:50 pm

It is certainly not what it use to be. I don't watch MTV anymore, I will watch MTV Classic where they play all of the classic 80s and 90s music videos.

There was a time when I enjoyed watching MTV back in the days but now on occasion I might tune in to MTV Classics and watch that channel, I don't know what the hell happened to MTV but it sure went downhill with all those stupid reality shows, I guess because the fan base is now older they want to cater to the younger generation.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/21 at 2:10 pm

There was a time when I enjoyed watching MTV back in the days but now on occasion I might tune in to MTV Classics and watch that channel, I don't know what the hell happened to MTV but it sure went downhill with all those stupid reality shows, I guess because the fan base is now older they want to cater to the younger generation.

The article explains exactly what happened.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/18/21 at 10:17 pm

The returns from selling music have gone down tremendously in the last twenty years. Nowadays music videos have to double as clothing or electronics ads because songs and albums are so cheap now.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/21 at 6:59 am

So do you think MTV can go back to the way they were, I mean people still like music videos, The MTV of now can feature brand new VJ's with different music videos of today.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/19/21 at 8:30 am

So do you think MTV can go back to the way they were, I mean people still like music videos, The MTV of now can feature brand new VJ's with different music videos of today.

Of course not. it's an outdated model. Why do you think they stopped in the first place? Despite what people on this board think, things do not go backwards, nor do they "come back". Why would people watch the old MTV format now? We live in an on demand culture with Youtube, etc and nobody is going to sit around and wait for something they like to come on. The days of the old monoculture and the "gatekeepers" are over, for better OR for worse.

Written By: whistledog on 07/20/21 at 6:01 am

Here in Canada, we didn't have MTV until 2006 and at that time, they just jumped into what MTV in America had already been:  More reality and less music, so really I've never known MTV to be Music Television

Realistically though, who even needs MTV anymore?  Just watch videos on YouTube

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/20/21 at 11:23 am

I have not subscribed to pay TV in years for this reason. But it’s not just MTV. Nor is it just all the music channels. So many channels went from interesting original programming to just recycling reruns of reality shows or crime shows 24/7. Even the freaking Weather Channel is doing it. I get more interesting programming on my satellite dish for free.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/20/21 at 12:12 pm

Yup. I have watched MTV Classic though. It's like watching MTV in the 80s and 90s all over again.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/20/21 at 7:28 pm

Yup. I have watched MTV Classic though. It's like watching MTV in the 80s and 90s all over again.

I don’t think I ever got to watch the original MTV. I did see a glimpse of VH1 at my cousins house and The Right Stuff by New Kids was playing. Then he flipped it over to The Goonies which I had never seen before at the time. Probably the longest running format of actual music was CMT, which I watched in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/21 at 7:38 pm

I don’t think I ever got to watch the original MTV. I did see a glimpse of VH1 at my cousins house and The Right Stuff by New Kids was playing. Then he flipped it over to The Goonies which I had never seen before at the time. Probably the longest running format of actual music was CMT, which I watched in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Funny that VH1 would be playing "The Right Stuff". VH1 was designed to be the "older" version of MTV, to appeal to a slightly older demographic. Not the New Kids demographic. In the very beginning VH1 was actually quite good.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/20/21 at 7:43 pm

Funny that VH1 would be playing "The Right Stuff". VH1 was designed to be the "older" version of MTV, to appeal to a slightly older demographic. Not the New Kids demographic. In the very beginning VH1 was actually quite good.

What did they play? Adult contemporary? That would have been lovely to see.

At the time I had never even heard the name VH1 before, let alone watched it.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/20/21 at 9:36 pm

I watched both MTV and VH1 growing up. I think VH1 was more for adults, and mostly kids and teens watched MTV.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/21 at 9:52 pm

What did they play? Adult contemporary? That would have been lovely to see.

At the time I had never even heard the name VH1 before, let alone watched it.

No, not adult contemporary.  VH1 had a bit more of a Boomer edge than MTV. They played CSN, Stones, etc. I mean, what such acts were doing CURRENTLY. It wasn't "oldies". It was all very up to date and there was quite a bit of overlap with MTV. They played Peter Gabriel, Police, etc. The VJs were a bit older than those on MTV. They also had a weekly talk/music show hosted by Nile Rodgers called "New Visions" that was EXCELLENT. He interviewed guests and then jammed with them. He had great people on like Todd Rundgren, Nona Hendryx, even Miles Davis.

All of this started going rapidly downhill. They brought in people like Don Imus (who I had never heard of at that point) to be a VJ, who was VERY sour and VERY sarcastic and VERY negative, and looked all old and shriveled up and didn't translate well on TV. I couldn't figure out why they would have a person like this. It got worse from there. But the VERY early VH1 was quite good.

Subject: How MTV stopped playing music and lost its relevance

Written By: Dude111 on 07/20/21 at 9:57 pm

MTV - Pure garbage!!

Written By: Howard on 07/21/21 at 5:42 am

Here in Canada, we didn't have MTV until 2006 and at that time, they just jumped into what MTV in America had already been:  More reality and less music, so really I've never known MTV to be Music Television

Exactly, just about every video you can imagine is on YouTube.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/21 at 5:45 am

I watched both MTV and VH1 growing up. I think VH1 was more for adults, and mostly kids and teens watched MTV.

VH1 I think it was the same as MTV but VH1 might have arrived later.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/21/21 at 7:56 am

At least you guys had MuchMusic, and they stayed true to their roots longer than MTV ever did (until around the early 2000s).

The classic movie equivalent is AMC. Originally, it stood for American Movie Classics and specialize in films from the 1930s to the 1960s, later adding some 1970s and a little '80s material as the years went on, then in the early 2000s, started adding commercials, then introduced Breaking Bad a few years later, and morphed into just another general entertainment network that has nothing to do with classic film.

Still, most of the money made nowadays is through touring and merchandise. Physical media is just a tiny fraction of sales compared to most of the 20th century, and a couple months ago, I snagged about 300 CDs for like 70 bucks through a nice mix of genres, even though the newest CD was from 2012 and most were from the '90s and early '00s.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/22/21 at 3:50 pm

I remember the days when Muchmusic, Rebranded Much, played music videos.  Now it's all movies, and reruns of The Simpsons, South Park, Ridiculousness, Seinfeld, and Married...With Children.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 07/22/21 at 5:14 pm

I remember when Much Music used to try to differentiate itself in the early 2000s by playing more music than the other music channels. Oh how times have changed...

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/21 at 4:25 am

I remember the days when Muchmusic, Rebranded Much, played music videos.  Now it's all movies, and reruns of The Simpsons, South Park, Ridiculousness, Seinfeld, and Married...With Children.

Apparently Much is rebranding as MuchMusic.  Not sure what kind of music they will play, but it will be interesting to see

Written By: Howard on 07/23/21 at 5:48 am

I kind of wish they went back to their old formula but they have to move on.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/27/21 at 6:50 pm

MTV - Pure garbage!!

Well it is now. But it was fun to watch back in the day in the 80s and early 90s.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/27/21 at 9:03 pm

Lately I watch VEVO on my Roku. I can choose both genre and decade. But the selection seems to run out pretty quick.

I also like watching eScapes TV. Lite music with recorded footage of pretty places. I’ve been watching it since 2017 when I found it on my satellite. Now it’s just on XUMO.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/27/21 at 9:23 pm

Lately I watch VEVO on my Roku. I can choose both genre and decade. But the selection seems to run out pretty quick.

I do that too! They repeat the music video line ups but it's still nice to watch the classics just like I did when I was a kid.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/28/21 at 2:19 am

Apparently Much is rebranding as MuchMusic.  Not sure what kind of music they will play, but it will be interesting to see

When? Because the whole channel is garbage right now.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/21 at 4:33 am

I also like watching eScapes TV. Lite music with recorded footage of pretty places. I’ve been watching it since 2017 when I found it on my satellite. Now it’s just on XUMO.

VEVO has a YouTube channel and you can watch old school music video on there.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/21 at 3:15 pm

When? Because the whole channel is garbage right now.

It's apparently already back.  I was watching it earlier and the ad said it was already back, but the channel didn't seem any different

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/19/21 at 2:44 pm

It's apparently already back.  I was watching it earlier and the ad said it was already back, but the channel didn't seem any different

https://www.instagram.com/muchmusicarchives/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/19/21 at 3:20 pm

Whenever I think of MTV, I think of the early days when I would have it on in the morning as I got ready for work. In those days, they didn't have a lot of videos-mostly from the UK-so MTV brought about a second British Evasion. We were introduced to groups like Duran Duran, Billy Idol, the Police to name a few. To this day, I can't hear the song "Hungry Like the Wolf" without thinking of MTV because they must have played it almost every morning.

(For those who are too young to remember, the first British Evasion was in the '60s with the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, etc. etc.)

I think the first video I recall seeing on MTV was the Motel's "Only the Lonely".

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/21 at 4:09 pm

I can't believe MTV is 40! It's no longer in its early years, it's middle age now!  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/20/21 at 4:27 am

Whenever I think of MTV, I think of the early days when I would have it on in the morning as I got ready for work. In those days, they didn't have a lot of videos-mostly from the UK-so MTV brought about a second British Evasion. We were introduced to groups like Duran Duran, Billy Idol, the Police to name a few. To this day, I can't hear the song "Hungry Like the Wolf" without thinking of MTV because they must have played it almost every morning.

(For those who are too young to remember, the first British Evasion was in the '60s with the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, etc. etc.)

I think the first video I recall seeing on MTV was the Motel's "Only the Lonely".

Cat

I remember seeing Video Killed The Radio Star By The Buggles.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/21 at 9:01 am

I remember seeing Video Killed The Radio Star By The Buggles.

The first thing you saw on MTV was the very first video they ever aired, "Video Killed The Radio Star", when MTV first went on the air on August 1, 1981? You had cable (and MTV) that early? Did you live in New Jersey at the time? Because, after that first time, they barely ever played that video, which was already over a year old by then, again. They had already made their point.

"On August 1, 1981, MTV: Music Television goes on the air for the first time ever, with the words (spoken by one of MTV’s creators, John Lack): “Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll.” The Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” was the first music video to air on the new cable television channel, which initially was available only to households in parts of New Jersey. MTV went on to revolutionize the music industry and become an influential source of pop culture and entertainment in the United States and other parts of the world, including Europe, Asia and Latin America."
-On This Day In History

Written By: Howard on 08/20/21 at 3:05 pm

The first thing you saw on MTV was the very first video they ever aired, "Video Killed The Radio Star", when MTV first went on the air on August 1, 1981? You had cable (and MTV) that early? Did you live in New Jersey at the time? Because, after that first time, they barely ever played that video, which was already over a year old by then, again. They had already made their point.

"On August 1, 1981, MTV: Music Television goes on the air for the first time ever, with the words (spoken by one of MTV’s creators, John Lack): “Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll.” The Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” was the first music video to air on the new cable television channel, which initially was available only to households in parts of New Jersey. MTV went on to revolutionize the music industry and become an influential source of pop culture and entertainment in the United States and other parts of the world, including Europe, Asia and Latin America."
-On This Day In History

No, At that time We were living in New York Queens and in 1981 I don't think we had cable that early, cable must've arrived in our house couple of years later so I must've seen that video when MTV was on repeat.

Check for new replies or respond here...