inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Olympic Songs of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/21 at 12:59 pm

In celebration of The Tokyo 2020 Games, I thought I would compile a list of hit songs that were released to coincide with the Olympic Games during the 1980s.  There were quite a few of them (and maybe some I might have missed) and some you might not have known were associated with the Olympics

* means the song did not chart in the US, Canada or the UK, but may have charted in other countries

1980 - Lake Placid Winter Olympics
Chuck Mangione - Give it All You Got

1980 - Moscow Summer Olympics
Pink Lady - Do Your Best*

1984 - Sarajevo Winter Olympics
John Denver - Just A Dream Away*

1984 - Los Angeles Summer Olympics
Sergio Mendes - Olympia
Christopher Cross - A Chance For Heaven (Swimming Theme)
Giorgio Moroder and Paul Engemman - Reach Out (Track Theme)

1988 - Calgary Winter Olympics
David Foster - Winter Games

1988 - Seoul Summer Olympics
Koreana - Hand in Hand*
Australian Olympians - You're Not Alone*
Whitney Houston - One Moment in Time
The Bunburys - Fight (No Matter How Long)
The Four Tops - Indestructible
Eric Carmen - Reason to Try
The Christians - Harvest For the World

Subject: Re: Olympic Songs of the 80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/21 at 1:05 pm

At first note associated with any Olympics, but the 1983 hit "Gold" by Spandau Ballet, was adopted by the BBC to cover Olympic television footage of the 1984 Summer Los Angeles Olympics.

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/21 at 1:08 pm

At first note associated with any Olympics, but the 1983 hit "Gold" by Spandau Ballet, was adopted by the BBC to cover Olympic television footage of the 1984 Summer Los Angeles Olympics.

That actually makes sense that song would be used.  Love that song!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/21 at 3:08 pm

I ALWAYS loved this one (and it always brings tears to my eyes.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96aAx0kxVSA

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/03/21 at 8:03 pm

I know they were all mentioned in the opening post, but I just have to post the song itself, cuz I really do like it a lot:

wrVf4RETAJk

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/03/21 at 9:34 pm

I ALWAYS loved this one (and it always brings tears to my eyes.)

Cat

Me too, that’s the one I most associate with the Olympics. I have it on tape.

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/21 at 8:40 am

The nostalgia for me was Winter Games by David Foster.  Being that he is Canadian, and the song was a Top 40 hit in Canada, I would hear it on the radio amongst the other Top 40 hits at the time

I think my favourite overall is Reach Out by Giorgio Moroder and Paul Engemann.  I first learned of the song about 15 years ago in my quest to obtain every song that charted in the US Hot 100 during the 80s (I quest I eventually did achieve) and later learned it was part of the 1984 Olympics when I found the soundtrack first on cassette, then vinyl.  Paul Engemann is best known as the lead singer for the band Device (they hit the Top 40 with Hanging on a Heart Attack in 1986) and as lead singer for the 2nd incarnation of Animotion (he sings lead on their 1989 Top 20 hit Room to Move)

vmlZGBikjgU

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/11/21 at 2:07 pm

Although not an official Olympics song, I'll always associate The Pointer Sisters' Jump (For My Long) for the 1984 Los Angeles Games, especially since track and field clips are present in the official video, and it was used in Mexico and possibly other countries as stock music during coverage. It was a top five pop hit in the US that summer as well, and they're from California too. No offense to Moroder and Engemman. I myself have the CD to the 1988 Seoul Games in my collection of these listed, and several of the singles listed above.

Check for new replies or respond here...