inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80s Dance Songs

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 10:13 am

This one never made it into North America, but it should have.  It's from 1983 called Dolce Vita by Italian singer Ryan Paris and peaked at #5 in the UK.  I love this song so much!

EXmABxvHTG4

-----------------------------------------------------------

Laid Back are a Danish music duo who are best known for the 1984 hits White Horse and Sunshine Reggae, but this one titled High Society Girl was not a success in either North America or the UK, but did reach the Top 10 in Germany in 1983.  Another really good one I wish we would have gotten!

NsIABDCkd0U

Subject: Re: Favourite 80s Dance Songs

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 10:25 am

Here is Vamos A La Playa by an Italo disco duo called Righeira.  Another one that North America did not get, I learned of this one while browsing UK charts, where it peaked at #53 in 1983.  It's sung in Spanish, so it's hard to sing along to, but it's a really fun one!

FH1BiCKCEGA

----------------------------------------------------------

Here is one that peaked at US #22 and #35 in Canada during 1986 called One Step Closer to You by American singer Gavin Christopher.  This one is fantastic!

4Hj8YcqKWEE

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/21 at 9:47 pm

When I used to go clubbing during the 80's I loved when this one was played at the club:

New Order - Blue Monday  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYH8DsU2WCk

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/21 at 9:56 pm

...Laid Back are a Danish music duo who are best known for the 1984 hits White Horse and Sunshine Reggae...

I like White Horse, very danceable.  I believe I still have it on 45.

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 11:09 pm

When I used to go clubbing during the 80's I loved when this one was played at the club:

New Order - Blue Monday  :)

Love Blue Monday.  They also did a 1988 version that was also popular in the clubs and interestingly enough, the 88 version reached the US Hot 100 whereas the 1983 original did not.  I still prefer the original though

Blue Monday 88
9GMjH1nR0ds

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 11:19 pm

I have a 1984 vinyl album called The Dance Music Album: La Folie II and on it is a song called Beat of the Night by a Canadian singer named Maggie.  I don't remember this one, nor do I know how popular it was in the clubs, but if it made a cut on a dance music album, it must have been quite popular.  I listen to this one almost daily, it's so good ...

HA8rfIimZ30

--------------------------------------------------------

I try to mention this one any time I can because any 80s music fan needs this one in their life.  Here is State of the Nation by an American band called Industry.  It only peaked at #81 in the US during 1983, but was a big hit in several parts of Europe. 

noS1viHX6zA

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 11:36 pm

Here is a 1985 single called Take Me to the Girl by Scottish band The Associates.  I first learned of this one back in 1996 through a TV advertised various artists CD compilation called Retro Night.  I went out and bought the cassette and fell in love with this song.  Sadly, this song was not a big hit anywhere, it's highest chart peak was in the UK where it made #95

5_pgBilxS0Y

---------------------------------------------------------

Howard would like this one.  This is called It's Over by British group The Funk Masters and it peaked at UK #8 in 1983.  The singer Juliet Roberts went onto solo fame and in 1994, hit #1 in the US Dance chart with the singles I Want You and Caught in the Middle

ensi51-5Qms

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/21 at 11:42 am

Late in the decade ('89?) I heard this at the clubs and liked it:

Nice N Wild - Diamond Girl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3RYOeJhTM

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/21 at 12:07 pm

Here is French singer F-R David with his 1983 single Words.  This was a one hit wonder in most parts of the world, peaking at UK #3, US 62 and it also peaked at #9 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart

nwrqQ2jYpwY

Here is The Night by Italian singer Valerie Dore.  This was a big hit only in several parts of Europe, and while it never was a hit in the UK, a fantastic 2002 interpolation by German group Scooter reached UK #16.  I actually learned of this song through the Scooter version.  I like it alot

80ssUKt76-c

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/22/21 at 12:11 pm

Here is French singer F-R David with his 1983 single Words.  This was a one hit wonder in most parts of the world, peaking at UK #3, US 62 and it also peaked at #9 on the Canadian Adult Contemporary chart

nwrqQ2jYpwY

The song ("Words) appears in the Oscar-nominated film for Best Picture, Call Me by Your Name.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/22/21 at 1:34 pm

I always loved this one:

Let's the Music Play-Shannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0sUuGufmw

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/22/21 at 3:05 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9u2rP8ecgE
Finis Henderson- Skip To My Lou (1983)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/21 at 4:24 pm

I always loved this one:

Cat

O0 This was popular in the clubs I frequented!  I'm sure I danced a few rounds to it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/21 at 4:43 pm

Another popular club tune from my clubbing days that I liked:

Yaz - Situation    :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBOobFD-Jns

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/21 at 9:10 pm

Anyone remember Al Corley?  He played Steve Carrington in the first 2 seasons of Dynasty.  In 1984, he released the single Square Rooms, and while it only peaked at US #80, it reached #26 on the US Dance chart and was a #1 hit in France

93wzdEFuVVs

Here's a British duo called Dollar with the UK #34 hit Give Me Some Kinda Magic from 1982.  I'm a little sad this group were not a success in North America because they had such fun songs.  I really like this one alot!  The female singer, Theresa Bazar, was born in Canada, but she has such a thick British accent, you would never know

7FndZvpt33M

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/22/21 at 9:55 pm

I wouldn't call this my most favorite - but since I spent 30+ years searching to figure out what the song was (as I only heard it in the clubs once), I'll post it:

Lime - Babe, We're Gonna Love Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PggKxIAL1bg

Written By: nally on 09/22/21 at 11:54 pm

I always loved this one:

Cat

Good selection. It's one I like to listen to as well. (And possibly the only song of hers that I know.)

I was only about 2 when that one was popular, but I love it now. O0 (I'm glad you posted the full version. Some radio stations cut out certain parts of the long instrumental break.)

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/21 at 2:25 am

I wouldn't call this my most favorite - but since I spent 30+ years searching to figure out what the song was (as I only heard it in the clubs once), I'll post it:

Lime - Babe, We're Gonna Love Tonight

Lime are so good, plus, they have some of the best album covers that totally define the awesomeness of the 80s.  They are from Montreal, the husband/wife duo of Denis and Denise LePage.  They had lots of hits, and also wrote this 1981 club favourite called Dancin' the Night Away for another Montreal duo called Voggue, which topped the US Dance Chart and was also a #39 hit in the UK

mu3Fy6c3VR0

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/21 at 2:34 am

^ One half of the duo Voggue was Chantal Condor, who released her debut solo album in 1986 and saw modest club success with a song called Nightmare

JHv8m4rLG-0

Then in 1989, she released another album just under the name Chantal and had a modest hit in Canada with a song called A Little Lovin'.  I remember this one very well ...

k0TLZ4wzvOY

Written By: Howard on 09/23/21 at 4:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBOobFD-Jns

I always thought that this song was sung by a guy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/23/21 at 4:33 am

I always thought that this song was sung by a guy.
It is Alison Moyet on the vocals.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/23/21 at 4:07 pm

Among the fun-nest 80's dance tunes that I heard at all the clubs:

Miami Sound Machine - Conga  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ItEmCnP80

Conga lines often popped up in the clubs when this was played - generally filled with happy strangers -

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/23/21 at 4:18 pm

This song brings me right back to C.J.'s in Wichita Falls, TX

Get Into The Groove-Madonna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52iW3lcpK5M

Cat

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/23/21 at 4:23 pm

A rap hit on the UK dance charts from a fun and overly hated band:

Modern Romance - Can You Move (1982)

Tqb0gBPtVgo

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/23/21 at 10:47 pm

Get Into The Groove-Madonna

Cat

Madonna was played heavily in the clubs I frequented - this one and Lucky Star in particular.

Written By: nally on 09/23/21 at 10:54 pm

Into The Groove-Madonna

Cat

Another great track...which still gets ample radio airplay these days, especially on classic hit stations.

It's great for a workout too!

Written By: Howard on 09/24/21 at 4:36 am

Among the fun-nest 80's dance tunes that I heard at all the clubs:

Miami Sound Machine - Conga  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ItEmCnP80

Conga lines often popped up in the clubs when this was played - generally filled with happy strangers -

And don't forget weddings too.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/21 at 4:37 am

Madonna was played heavily in the clubs I frequented - this one and Lucky Star in particular.

What about Borderline too?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/24/21 at 10:45 am

What about Borderline too?

Yes, I heard Borderline quite a bit in the clubs.

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/24/21 at 11:51 am

On the subject of classic Montreal hits:

Trans-X - Living on Video (1983)
b9xBAtCsCTQ

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/21 at 2:56 pm

A rap hit on the UK dance charts from a fun and overly hated band:
Modern Romance - Can You Move (1982)

It's sad Modern Romance did not have more success in North America.  I have 2 of their albums on vinyl, a bunch of their singles on 45 and even their greatest hits in CD

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/21 at 4:34 pm

Here is a self-titled song from a self-titled album.  From 1987, this is Living in A Box by British group Living in A Box

mHzfhU8t5i8

Here is a 1986 single called Flippin' to the 'A' Side by a Toronto band called Cats Can Fly.  This was not a success outside of Canada, but should have been as it's really quite good. 

SJGripBLSbY

Written By: Howard on 09/25/21 at 7:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6Tvs8r_TA
Fun Fun- Color My Love (1984)

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/21 at 1:22 am

This one is in my Top 10 favourite songs of the 80s.  It's from 1982 called Just An Illusion by a British group called Imagination and peaked at #2 in the UK and #15 on the US Dance Chart.  I first heard this song in the 1986 movie F/X and have loved it ever since!

uY4cVhXxW64

------------------------------------------------------------

This one from 1987 called House Arrest by a British group called Krush was not popular in the US or Canada, but it did peak at #3 in the UK.  Shame we didn't get it as it's really a fantastic song!

c7mYuHAhDoI

Written By: whistledog on 09/28/21 at 1:44 am

Here is a 1982 single called Attack of the Name Game by American singer Stacy Lattisaw.  Based on the classic song The Name Game, it only peaked at #70 in the US, but it is perhaps more known for it's sampled use in the #1 single Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey in 1999

JWQVnVyb9W8

In 1985, Legendary American R&B group The Stylistics peaked at #91 in the UK with a song called Love is Not The Answer.  I really wished this one had been a bigger hit, or even a hit in North America.  It's just so good!  I could listen to this one all day!

b-NdgqxKw6w

Written By: BotleyCrew on 09/28/21 at 3:13 pm

My actual favorite dance song of the 80s.

Julie Coulson - Big Time Operator (1985)
r2EAOmZHqOk

Julie Coulson would go on to represent the UK in Eurovision in 1989 as Julie C. Nothing else is known about her.

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/21 at 9:07 pm

One of the biggest stars in Germany in the mid-late 80s was Sandra.  Here are two from 1985 that any 80s music fan needs in their collection.  I don't know how big these ones here in the clubs here in North America, but I know Maria Magdalena was released in Canada as I have the 12" vinyl

Sandra - (I'll Never Be) Maria Magdalena
l1DIV8V_zwQ

Sandra - In the Heat of the Night
xrJd059ibws

Written By: whistledog on 10/11/21 at 9:18 pm

Here is a British duo called Blue Mercedes with the UK #23 1988 hit I Want to Be Your Property.  Rightfully so, this was also a #1 hit in the US Dance chart and peaked at #66 on the US Hot 100

Blue Mercedes - I Want to Be Your Property (1988)
YF4dXdULmmI

Boy Bands have always been big in Europe, and throughout the decades there were a lot of great ones that never made it big in the US or Canada.  Here is one from England called Brother Beyond and their 1988 UK #2 hit The Harder I Try.  This is a real fun one!

Brother Beyond - The Harder I Try (1988)
46l-yzQ4GhI

Check for new replies or respond here...