inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s songs you discovered via the internet ...

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/22 at 4:13 pm

... and now you consider them among your all time favourites?

There are a bunch of songs I never knew about from this decade that I absolutely love and had it not been for the Internet, I would never have known about.  What are some of your favourites that you learned about through the internet?

Subject: Re: 80s songs you discovered via the internet ...

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/22 at 4:17 pm

Here is one from 1984 called Body And Soul by a Dutch female trio called Mai Tai.  This peaked at #9 in the UK, which is how I first learned about it years ago and it's been tops on my playlist ever since! 

t5UNsOnm79M

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/22 at 4:47 pm

Here is one from British hard rock group Magnum called Just Like An Arrow.  This peaked at #83 in the UK chart in 1985, which technically is not considered a "hit" as at the time, the UK chart only measured a Top 75, so anything that peaked at 76-100 was considered "Bubbling under".  Still, this song rocks and I love it so much!

nVxd0BYZKHY

Written By: BotleyCrew on 02/08/22 at 7:21 pm

I wasn't even born in the 80s, so most 80s songs I know are via the internet. However, as far as 80s music I discovered through the internet that I wouldn't have known about even if I did live back then, there's:

Sandy Marton - Camel by Camel (1985)
yvsR-xciOTg

(This became popular due to an Animal Crossing meme)

and

Chappy C. Jones & Warnell Jones featuring JG's - Set the Fire (1987)
-h624pyxIKA

Written By: Contigo on 02/09/22 at 10:03 am

Words dont come easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h7XPx1XJQo

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/22 at 3:35 pm

Words dont come easy

That is such a good one.  I learned through the Internet that it was a Top 10 hit on the Canadian adult contemporary chart, but I never listened to stations like that back in the day, so I as well learned of that one through the Internet

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/22 at 3:51 pm

Here is another one from the Lands of the Nether.  From 1985, this is called Black Kisses (Never Make You Blue) by a Dutch girl group called Curtie and the Boombox.  This was a one hit wonder in the US where it peaked at #81 on the Hot 100 and #40 on the Dance chart in 1985

zykBsSSbPYM

Written By: whistledog on 02/09/22 at 4:10 pm

Here is one from 1985, called Love Is Not The Answer by The Stylistics.  This was only a hit in the UK, where it peaked at #91.  Not to be confused with a song they had in 1975 called Love Is The Answer.  I guess they found better love in the 70s than they did in the 80s :D

Seriously though, if you love fun dance and R&B songs, play this one loud.  It is sooooo good!

b-NdgqxKw6w

Written By: BotleyCrew on 02/13/22 at 6:22 pm

Another underground internet-famous 80's synth hit: The Jetzons - Hard Times (1982)

Known to younger generations due to the song's resemblance to the Ice Cap Zone Act 1 music from Sonic the Hedgehog 3:
H2OWC5Hosv8

Subject: 80s songs you discovered via the internet ...

Written By: Dude111 on 09/03/22 at 8:45 pm

I have discovered several and some I liked so much I went out and got them in ANALOGUE where they sound even nicer :)

Check for new replies or respond here...