inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Growing Pains - the producers proposed season 8 - really an "AfterPAINS"

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/12/22 at 9:57 am

It would have no Mike or Carol and is being held up solely by Luke, Ben, and Chrissy - would it have worked at all?

Subject: Re: Growing Pains - the producers proposed season 8 - really an "AfterPAINS"

Written By: Howard on 02/12/22 at 1:51 pm

It would have no Mike or Carol and is being held up solely by Luke, Ben, and Chrissy - would it have worked at all?

I don't think it would work since Alan Thicke is dead, they could find a replacement that someone resembles him but as far as the others are concerned, not sure how Growing Pains would look like in 2022.

Subject: Re: Growing Pains - the producers proposed season 8 - really an "AfterPAINS"

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/12/22 at 5:10 pm

No, no, you misread me. Had the show not been cancelled in 1992,  the plans by the production office were that Holy Kirk would have been let go and the show would have been rebuilt around Dicaprio's Luke, with Miller's Ben and Johnson's Chrissy (i think the character would have been "Christine"  more and more as the show progressed, however) as support.

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/22 at 8:43 pm

If they would have gone that route, it would maybe have worked as a spin-off

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/12/22 at 8:51 pm

I remember an episode of "Growing Pains"--a Halloween episode--which was essentially a retelling of the widely circulated "Vanishing Hitchhiker" urban legend/ghost story. Mike picks up a girl hitchhiking and, through a series of events, discovers that she actually died years earlier. Turns out he was making it all up to scare his family for Halloween. Interesting when sitcoms and other popular culture weave in folklore like this.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/22 at 3:44 am

If they would have gone that route, it would maybe have worked as a spin-off

Yeah I would've seen Growing Pains more like a spin-off.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/13/22 at 7:43 am

Kirk Cameron being let go if there had been a 1993 season would have been the right move given his nutty behavior, but Ashley Johnson (Christine/Chrissy) was only 9 and would be the only female main cast member left other than Kerns as Gold was having a battle with anorexia and would be gone too. That is a lot of pressure to put on a little lady like Ashley!

Written By: Contigo on 02/13/22 at 7:56 am

I must be one of the few that were around when this show aired but never watched a full episode. Never could get into it.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/22 at 3:37 am

I must be one of the few that were around when this show aired but never watched a full episode. Never could get into it.

I liked the show, I thought it was alright.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/22 at 9:19 am

I remember an episode of "Growing Pains"--a Halloween episode--which was essentially a retelling of the widely circulated "Vanishing Hitchhiker" urban legend/ghost story. Mike picks up a girl hitchhiking and, through a series of events, discovers that she actually died years earlier. Turns out he was making it all up to scare his family for Halloween. Interesting when sitcoms and other popular culture weave in folklore like this.
I can honestly say I have never watched "Growing Pains".

Written By: Howard on 02/17/22 at 2:16 pm

I can honestly say I have never watched "Growing Pains".

What shows did you watch growing up?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/22 at 2:28 pm

What shows did you watch growing up?
I will answer this two ways.

1) The US television shows I did see when young were: "The Munsters", "Get Smart", "Star Trek", "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In", and "The Andy Williams Show". I will added more when I remember.

2) British televisions shows are of a plenty, too many to list here.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/22 at 7:30 pm

I will answer this two ways.

1) The US television shows I did see when young were: "The Munsters", "Get Smart", "Star Trek", "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In", and "The Andy Williams Show". I will added more when I remember.

2) British televisions shows are of a plenty, too many to list here.

Growing up, there were 2 British shows I can recall watching regularly.  One was an animated series titled Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings.  The other was Doctor Who, the Sylvester McCoy era

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/22 at 6:40 am

Growing up, there were 2 British shows I can recall watching regularly.  One was an animated series titled Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings
I do not remember that television series, I have look online, images and research, and still cannot recall it. I noticed that it was Mike Batt who composed music for that show, pre-wombles?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 02/28/22 at 12:16 am

I wish this character was still in reruns:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/download_(4).jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/28/22 at 3:12 am

I wish this character was still in reruns:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/download_(4).jpg

What character is that from?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 03/01/22 at 12:19 am

Duneedon from the Canadian edutainment show Read All About It. Shown here on the Australian ABC.

Written By: whistledog on 03/06/22 at 10:54 pm

I do not remember that television series, I have look online, images and research, and still cannot recall it. I noticed that it was Mike Batt who composed music for that show, pre-wombles?

You are correct.  And the show's narrator was the legendary Brit entertainer Bernard Cribbins

Written By: andersenb11775 on 03/08/22 at 7:50 pm

I think Small Wonder already knows that she has the right expression for Holy Kirk Cameron:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/236808209_10226919644560860_6097399720677394032_n.jpg

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/08/22 at 8:54 pm

I think Small Wonder already knows that she has the right expression for Holy Kirk Cameron:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/236808209_10226919644560860_6097399720677394032_n.jpg

I'm not sure you should be making fun of people's religious beliefs that may differ from your own.

Not to mention the facial expression of "Small Wonder" (whomever that is) is essentially blank. What do you see that we don't?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 03/09/22 at 2:29 am

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Wonder_(TV_series)

2. Kirk Cameron hurt a lot of people on the Growing Pains show and in real life with his God Squad crap. I don't have to respect him.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/09/22 at 3:26 am

Duneedon from the Canadian edutainment show Read All About It. Shown here on the Australian ABC.

Yeah, he was a part of a conspiracy against the earth. He disguised himself as Mayor Don E Don.  Until Sam, Lynne, and Chris discovered that there was a plot.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/22 at 10:16 am

You are correct.  And the show's narrator was the legendary Brit entertainer Bernard Cribbins
A true national treasure, best known for narrating "The Wombles", the pretentious hotel guest Mr. Hutchinson in the Fawlty Towers episode "The Hotel Inspectors", and Albert Perks in "The Railway Children".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/22 at 10:22 am

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Wonder_(TV_series)

"Small Wonder is an American children's comedy science fiction sitcom that aired in first-run syndication from September 7, 1985, to May 20, 1989. The show chronicles the family of a robotics engineer who secretly creates a robot modeled after a human girl, then tries to pass it off as their adopted daughter, Vicki. The series eventually turned out to be a surprise hit, specifically amongst the kid section, as many channels belonging to different nations witnessed while re-running the show."
-Wikipedia

And this show was a favorite of yours when you were a child?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 03/09/22 at 10:37 am

one of many shows i watched as a little kid in the eighties. Like i said, Kirk Cameron was an arsehole to many people on his hit show. Growing Pains may have sunk anyway but Holy Kirk blew a giant hole in the hull of that metaphorical ship with a rocket propelled grenade.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/09/22 at 12:41 pm

I don't think they would have enough money to pay Leonardo DiCaprio so I smell a reboot because it's not a season 8 without Allan Thicke.  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/09/22 at 1:02 pm

I don't think they would have enough money to pay Leonardo DiCaprio so I smell a reboot because it's not a season 8 without Allan Thicke.  >:( >:( >:(

No, they'll never get Leonardo DiCaprio back, but neither does he forget where he came from. When Alan Thicke died, Leo posted this heartfelt tribute on Facebook:

“Alan was a devoted father, husband, friend and role model. He knew how to harness the power of the entertainment industry to be a positive influence in so many lives – including mine. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I had to work with Alan early in my career. He had tremendous class, a huge heart, and he taught me and so many others the valuable lessons about humility and gratitude. I’ve seen him a number of times over the years and when Alan Thicke walked in the room, quite frankly, no one was cooler. I miss him already – my thoughts and prayers are with the entire Thicke family during this difficult time.”

Written By: Howard on 03/09/22 at 2:47 pm

"Small Wonder is an American children's comedy science fiction sitcom that aired in first-run syndication from September 7, 1985, to May 20, 1989. The show chronicles the family of a robotics engineer who secretly creates a robot modeled after a human girl, then tries to pass it off as their adopted daughter, Vicki. The series eventually turned out to be a surprise hit, specifically amongst the kid section, as many channels belonging to different nations witnessed while re-running the show."
-Wikipedia

And this show was a favorite of yours when you were a child?

I thought the show was funny, I'm surprised it lasted 4 years on the air.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/03/22 at 12:49 pm

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/MV5BMjAwODM3Mjk0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk0OTU4MDI_._(1).jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/03/22 at 2:48 pm

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/r255/molly-dolly/MV5BMjAwODM3Mjk0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDk0OTU4MDI_._(1).jpg

I forgot the name of that small girl who appears in the picture, Was she a part of the family? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/03/22 at 3:06 pm

I forgot the name of that small girl who appears in the picture, Was she a part of the family? ???

Ashley Johnson who plays Chrissie Seaver.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/22 at 3:25 pm

Whenever you had a family sitcom and the kids got a bit older, they always had to bring in another kid. There was:

-Cousin Oliver -The Brady Bunch
-Andrew Keaton -Family Ties
-Olivia Kendall -The Cosby Show
-Sam McKinney -Diff'rent Stokes
-Seven - Married...With Children

I'm sure there are others.

Cat

Written By: andersenb11775 on 04/03/22 at 3:38 pm

Ashley Johnson who plays Chrissie Seaver.

Indeed. A couple of weeks ago, Ashley Johnson posted a publicity photo of herself with her on-screen mom for the 1990 movie Lionheart,  where she was first noticed by the Growing Pains team who were needing to SORAS Chrissy Seaver:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLiYuD1LgdT/

Check for new replies or respond here...