inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s songs that aren't 80s songs

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/22 at 12:01 am

What a weird title for a topic, eh?  Here's an example of what I mean and you'll get the drift ...

In 1982, German electronic band Kraftwerk had a #1 hit in the UK with the fantastic song The Model.  What I didn't know for the longest time was this song is actually from 1978 where it was a Top 40 hit on the US Disco chart.  I still see it as an 80s song even though I know it technically is not

GEnx9xS79Lc

Subject: Re: 80s songs that aren't 80s songs

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/22 at 12:14 am

Here's one I have mentioned before.  It's called Wondering Where The Lions Are by Bruce Cockburn (name pronounced "Co-Burn").  It peaked at US #21 in 1980 and was his only Top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 chart (and one of only two hits he had on that chart).  As a result, it often shows up on one hit wonders collections and 80s compilations.
In Canada, he had lots of hits and this reached the Top 40 in 1979, and it's since become quite legendary here (it ranks as his 8th highest charting single in Canada).  I've always known it as a 70s song, so when I first started seeing it on 80s compilations, I was so confused lol

3k_xkhoq7YM

Check for new replies or respond here...