inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best solo songs by singers who were in 80s bands

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/22 at 2:35 am

In 1985, Tommy Shaw of Styx had a minor hit in the US with Remo's Theme (What If).  Love this one so much!

wDW4CV-Ge-4

Subject: Re: Best solo songs by singers who were in 80s bands

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/22 at 2:05 pm

Of course there is Phil Collins who preformed with Genesis at the same time having his own solo career.

This is one of my favs of his solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA

I have always said that one of these days I'm gonna choreograph a dance to this but never have. 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/22 at 1:28 am

"Glory of Love"
Peter Cetera

He was best known for being an original member of the rock band Chicago and the song was featured in the movie "The Karate Kid Part II".

yQHhqDRn4_c

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/22 at 7:50 am

"I Was Born to Love You"
Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen.

After Mercury's death, Queen re-worked this song for their album Made in Heaven in 1995, by having the other members play their instrumental parts over the original track, transforming the song from a disco song to a rock song.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6a/I_Was_Born_to_Love_You_cover.jpg

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/08/22 at 5:15 pm

Sting, of course being the frontman of The Police, went on to have a great solo career.  One I always liked:

Sting - Fortress Around Your Heart (1985)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9aVhyWSGa8

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/08/22 at 5:44 pm

Sting, of course being the frontman of The Police, went on to have a great solo career.  One I always liked:

I was never the hugest Police fan. The only Police album I own is "Synchronicity" which I bought when it was new. I felt they (or maybe Sting as a writer) had come to a maturity with that album. But when that first Sting solo album came out about two years later I liked it immensely and bought it. I have several others of his as well.

Written By: nally on 04/09/22 at 12:24 am

Excellent choice! I also liked “If You Love Somebody Set Them Free” which was also from ’85. He had several great solo hits in the 1990s as well.

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/22 at 7:06 pm

In 1988, Myles Goodwyn, the lead singer of April Wine made his solo debut with a self-titled album which featured a near Top 40 hit in Canada with a cover of the 1971 Lee Michaels classic Do You Know What I Mean?

What was great about this cover was instead of singing the parts that "she" said, he got female heavy metal singer Lee Aaron to do it and it was fantastic!

Myles Goodwyn and Lee Aaron - Do You Know What I Mean? (1988)
1onPfUy4q7E

Check for new replies or respond here...