inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Galaxy Express 999/Old Anime

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 12:17 pm

Does anybody here know anything about old anime? Circa 1984 when I first got cable, HBO was showing "Galaxy Express". I had no idea what it was, still don't really, but I was taken by this song, possibly titled "Love Seems Light Years Away". A brief snippet of it has recently appeared on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ7oiD0Ezu8

Not to mention  that I kind of liked the idea of this galactic coffeehouse with some kind of otherworldly woman folksinger with a slightly phased voice. I seem to recall there was more of it. Like at the end the folksinger and the guitar seemed to be made of glass and it all got shattered in some disaster. The little main character guy picks up pieces of the guitar and says "not you too" or something like that. But that's about all I  recall. Does anybody know this song?

Subject: Re: Galaxy Express 999/Old Anime

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/13/22 at 12:58 pm

Does anybody here know anything about old anime? Circa 1984 when I first got cable, HBO was showing "Galaxy Express". I had no idea what it was, still don't really, but I was taken by this song, possibly titled "Love Seems Light Years Away". A brief snippet of it has recently appeared on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ7oiD0Ezu8

Not to mention  that I kind of liked the idea of this galactic coffeehouse with some kind of otherworldly woman folksinger with a slightly phased voice. I seem to recall there was more of it. Like at the end the folksinger and the guitar seemed to be made of glass and it all got shattered in some disaster. The little main character guy picks up pieces of the guitar and says "not you too" or something like that. But that's about all I  recall. Does anybody know this song?

I'm afraid I missed this one  :-\\  (I didn't have access to cable until 1987)  Looks interesting, though

The oldest Anime I recall is the "Speed Racer" cartoon, which I remember watching circa '69-'70.  I loved it!  I don't think Anime was a big thing at that time (I didn't know it was Anime when I watched it).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/13/22 at 1:00 pm

The oldest Anime I recall is the "Speed Racer" cartoon, which I remember watching circa '69-'70.  I loved it!  I don't think Anime was a big thing at that time (I didn't know it was Anime when I watched it).

"Speed Racer" was anime? I thought it was just a regular old cartoon. I remember the theme song "go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, GO..."  :)

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/22 at 4:56 pm

There were 3 cartoons I watched in the 80s that fell under "anime".  Astro Boy (1980-1981), Belle and Sebastian (1981-1982) and Fables of the Green Forest (1973).  The latter one was broadcast here in Canada starting in 1978 and aired well into the early 90s.  I was an adult before I learned it wasn't an 80s cartoon (strange because the copyright is right in the title screen lol), but the theme song, as well as the one for Astro Boy, stuck with me...

C3-vnqMdjlk

mm43LjWBkWM

Check for new replies or respond here...