inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Wars in the cinema?

Written By: Dude111 on 07/30/22 at 11:55 pm

Okay a question for our older members...

Was anyone lucky enough to see the first Star Wars films (New Hope,Empire & ROTJ) in the original run at the cinema?

I cant remember if I ever did but I did see them all on analogue cable TV :)

Now I have parts 1,2 and 3 on VHS :)

1) Official tape
2) Recorded from USA network in 1995 (I wanna see if I can get an earlier copy)
3) Recorded from HBO sometime in the 80s

The original 3 movies are all I recognise..

Subject: Re: Star Wars in the cinema?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/22 at 5:04 am

Due to my position of work back in 1977 I was able to see "Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV)" three times before the film opened in UK.

...not in the 1980s as for this topic on this board.

Written By: Contigo on 07/31/22 at 6:02 am

Yes I saw the first two (1977 and 1980). I think almost walked out on that first film in 1977, but my memory aint so sharp.
Never saw what the big deal was with star wars. Having said that, I'm not a fan of science fiction films much, although I did like the 60s TV series the Twilight Zone, Star Trek and the Time Tunnel, and Lost in Space

Off the top of my head some of the 1977 films I liked were
Slap Shot (anything with Paul Newman in it, I like)
Goodbye Girl
Julia (anything with Jane Fonda I like)
High Anxiety (love Mel Brooks films)
Looking for Mr Goodbar (Diane Keaton was so hot, lol)
Turning point

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/22 at 6:12 am

Yes I saw the first two (1977 and 1980). I think almost walked out on that first film in 1977, but my memory aint so sharp.
Never saw what the big deal was with star wars. Having said that, I'm not a fan of science fiction films much, although I did like the 60s TV series the Twilight Zone, Star Trek and the Time Tunnel, and Lost in Space

Goodbye Girl
Turning point
I loved "High Anxiety' too, and wish to see it again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/22 at 7:27 am

Goodbye Girl
Turning point
Apart from "A New Hope", all the other Star Wars movies for me have merged into one, and I cannot say which scene is from which film. The same applies to Harry Potter and LotR.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/31/22 at 7:28 am

I never saw Star Wars in the theater on it's original run because frankly I had no interest. I still haven't seen it or any of it's sequels. What I do remember is the massive ad campaign of the original movie. It started months before and just grew and grew as the time came closer. You couldn't escape it. i remember saying to a co-worker "I have neve seen any movie blitz the media so thoroughly". Interesting that I chose that word, because the term "media blitz" didn't exist yet. But it seemed a natural thing to say. By the time Star Wars actually hit the theaters there was not a man, woman or child that had not heard of it. Let's just say they were taking no chances with that movie. They turned it into a hit before it was even released.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/22 at 2:06 pm

Yup. I saw it in Tulsa with one of my sisters and my two cousins. I think my cousins had seen it before. I remember the line was long but we didn't have to wait TOO long-only about 15 minutes or so until the previous viewing let out.

I saw Jeti in San Antonio. If I recall, there weren't too many people at the theatre. At the time, I had yet to see Empire so I was kind of lost because I didn't know what was going on or even who some of the characters were. Don't know when the first time I saw Empire but it wasn't on the big screen.

Cat

Written By: robby76 on 08/01/22 at 5:01 am

Apart from "A New Hope", all the other Star Wars movies for me have merged into one, and I cannot say which scene is from which film.

Basically...

A New Hope - desert
Empire Strikes Back - snow
Return of The Jedi - jungle

But yeah if you're talking random scenes, it would get confusing.

Written By: karen on 08/01/22 at 6:31 am

I remember queueing outside the cinema to see the first film. I went with my older brothers and a couple of their friends

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/22 at 8:08 am

Due to my position of work back in 1977 I was able to see "Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV)" three times before the film opened in UK.

...not in the 1980s as for this topic on this board.
BTW, when I saw "Star Wars: A New Hope (Episode IV)" for the third time I had Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing) sitting in the seat in front of me.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/05/22 at 3:10 pm

I saw "Empire Strikes Back" during its first run in the theater.  I have to say I wasn't a huge fan overall, though I was wowed by the cinematography.  (I went with a boyfriend and that relationship wasn't going so well, that may have been a factor!  ;D)

Check for new replies or respond here...