inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80s Soundtrack Songs

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/22 at 11:02 am

There have been topics like this before, but why not start fresh!

I'll kick things off with a fantastic cover song!  This is Kiss by The Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones and appears in the 1988 movie My Stepmother Is An Alien.  It is technically a single from the band's greatest hits album released that year, but the single was released in October, the film was released in December and the song peaked at #31 in the US in January of 1989.  Originally a hit for Prince in 1986, this is probably in my Top 10 of best cover songs ever.  AON/Tom Jones took a song that I hate and turned it into gold!  What's neat about this cover is it samples previous Art of Noise hits.

5uZQFOfMSfY

--------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone remember the 1987 film Hiding Out starring Jon Cryer?  Not many people seem to as it was a box office bomb, but the soundtrack had 4 hits.  This one titled You Don't Know by a British duo called Scarlett and Black peaked at #20 in the US and is just fantastic!  Love to sing along with this one!

uaEqY8xpDy0

Subject: Re: Favourite 80s Soundtrack Songs

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/22 at 11:07 am

Does anyone remember the 1987 film Hiding Out starring Jon Cryer?  Not many people seem to as it was a box office bomb, but the soundtrack had 4 hits.  This one titled You Don't Know by a British duo called Scarlett and Black peaked at #20 in the US and is just fantastic!  Love to sing along with this one!

I actually saw "Hiding Out" in a movie theater when it was new! I always liked Cryer, but honestly, that movie was a dud.8-P Funnily, I don't really remember the music at all.

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/22 at 11:27 am

Here is the popular 1985 hit Into The Groove by Madonna from the movie Desperately Seeking Susan.  While not released as a single in the US or Canada (where it served as the B-Side to Angel), it became a smash hit in Europe, peaking at #1 in several countries including the UK and even reached #1 in Australia as a Double AA side with Angel (which makes me wonder why it was not released as a Double AA side in North America). 

The movie (at the time) never had a soundtrack, so it's first album appearance was (in remix form) on her 1987 album You Can Dance.  It next appeared on her 1990 greatest hits album The Immaculate Collection

52iW3lcpK5M

-------------------------------------------------------

Here is Turn On (The Beat Box) by Earth, Wind and Fire from the 1988 film Caddyshack II.  While the song failed to chart in the US Hot 100, it did peak at #26 on the R&B chart, and was also a Top 40 hit in a few European countries including Holland and Finland. 

I saw the film in theatres when it came out and while it was a box office bomb, I loved it and still do! 

kSF0MTsFxig

Written By: whistledog on 08/31/22 at 11:28 am

I actually saw "Hiding Out" in a movie theater when it was new! I always liked Cryer, but honestly, that movie was a dud.8-P Funnily, I don't really remember the music at all.

I wouldn't say it was a terrible film, but it wasn't a great film.  No one's putting that movie at the top of their favourites list lol

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/22 at 11:31 am

Phoebe Cates
"Paradise"
from the movie "Paradise"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as9XvBH34i8

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/22 at 5:22 pm

Phoebe Cates
"Paradise"
from the movie "Paradise"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as9XvBH34i8

Love that one. I thought I was the only one who remembered it. I remember the movie, too. It was ok.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/22 at 6:30 pm

I posted this a few weeks ago (in honor of Olivia Newton John). From Two of a Kind which was kind of...meh.

I do love this song.

Twist of Fate (1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9_1OfbzaKQ

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/31/22 at 7:42 pm

Bob Dylan/Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Band of The Hand"

Cool song from another forgettable movie. "Band of the Hand" was a 1986 American action crime neo noir thriller film directed by Paul Michael Glaser (yes, from "Starsky & Hutch").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxGzJQV1MI0

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/22 at 4:54 am

The terrible movies always had the best songs lol

Here is a group called 3 Speed with the title track to the 1985 film Once Bitten starring Jim Carrey and Lauren Hutton.  This movie is as cheesy as an 80s teen comedy gets, and while it was never gonna win any awards, I thought it was fun, but mostly for the soundtrack.  This song was released as a single and a music video was filmed, but it didn't ignite the charts at all.  I like this song a lot and its appearance in the film is actually my favourite part of the film.  Anyone who saw the movie will recognize this song!

b0C3SV2ePGg

--------------------------------------------------------

This one did not chart outside of Canada, but if you saw the 1988 film Iron Eagle II starring Louis Gossett Jr., then you might recognize it.  It's called Tomcat Prowl by Doug and the Slugs and (to my knowledge) was the only single released from the soundtrack.  This peaked at #23 in Canada and was a very popular radio favourite, so at the time, I never knew it was a soundtrack song as the music video shows no clips or makes no reference to the film, nor does the 45 single state it's from the soundtrack.

CWxaC1ZpSTA

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/22 at 4:28 pm

From Visionquest: Change-John Waite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU0YDx_KTpA

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/05/22 at 5:01 pm

From Visionquest: Change-John Waite

Cat

O0 I don't remember this song - but I like it!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/22 at 5:18 pm

O0 I don't remember this song - but I like it!

The "Official" video had nothing to do with the movie-even though it was on the soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vLQdsQsq68

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/22 at 3:41 pm

The "Official" video had nothing to do with the movie-even though it was on the soundtrack.

Cat

The reason for that was the song is actually from 1982, recorded for his first album Ignition.  It was partially unsuccessful on it's initial release, but when re-released as a single from the Vision Quest soundtrack, it charted at #54 on the US Hot 100.  It's a really good song!
Patty Smyth (from the group Scandal) sings backing vocals on it

In keeping with John Waite, he had another really good soundtrack hit called If Anybody Had A Heart from the 1986 film About... Last Night

hoIlhDFBdWE

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/22 at 3:55 pm

Here's one that wasn't a single, but I think should have been.  It's called Hold On by Corey Hart from the 1987 film Beverly Hills Cop II

b7Vci6nICp8

Here's a bit of a twist.  The version heard in the film appears during the Playboy Mansion scene and is not sung by Corey Hart.  It's sung by a woman named Keta Bill and is more new waveish than the rock version by Corey

Pww9iJ8z-vw

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/22 at 4:01 pm

In keeping with an alternate version theme, one of my all-time favourite songs of the 80s is called I Can Dream about You by Dan Hartman.  It is from the 1984 soundtrack to the film Streets of Fire which is actually my favourite film of all time!

621Nk3Ubz4A

The song was written by Hartman, but the version that appears in the film as performed by the (fictional) band The Sorrels is actually sung by a singer named Winston Ford.  I like this version because it's specific to the film and therefore is unique, but the Dan Hartman sung version is the winner!

auLyfd49-UE

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/09/22 at 4:53 pm

You had to mention Streets of Fire. For some reason, I have been thinking of that movie all day. I love so many songs from that movie-Tonight is What it Means To Be Young is WAY up there. But, this song has been going through my head all day:

Sorcerer-Marilyn Martin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq5KBfbmark

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/22 at 9:10 pm

You had to mention Streets of Fire. For some reason, I have been thinking of that movie all day. I love so many songs from that movie-Tonight is What it Means To Be Young is WAY up there. But, this song has been going through my head all day:

Sorcerer-Marilyn Martin

Cat

It's one of those soundtracks where even the songs that weren't singles are great!
Stevie Nicks wrote Sorcerer back in 1972 and she sings backup on the Marilyn Martin version.  The version heard in the film is sung by Laurie Sargent, who provided the singing voice for Ellen Aim.  You may already know this, but the band who appear as The Attackers in the film are Laurie's actual bandmates in a group called Face to Face who had a 1984 US Top 40 hit called 10-9-8.

I'm such a geek for that film lol

Written By: Howard on 09/10/22 at 7:18 am

In keeping with an alternate version theme, one of my all-time favourite songs of the 80s is called I Can Dream about You by Dan Hartman.  It is from the 1984 soundtrack to the film Streets of Fire which is actually my favourite film of all time!

The song was written by Hartman, but the version that appears in the film as performed by the (fictional) band The Sorrels is actually sung by a singer named Winston Ford.  I like this version because it's specific to the film and therefore is unique, but the Dan Hartman sung version is the winner!

I always thought at first that the song was sung by a black person but never even realized that Dan was white.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/13/22 at 11:31 pm

The movie Streets Of Fire has been mentioned already - true confessions, I haven't seen the movie.  But I'm a fan of this soundtrack tune:

The Fixx - Deeper And Deeper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRHlp2MNks
(This is the long version; the short version may have appeared in the movie)

Written By: whistledog on 09/14/22 at 1:57 pm

The movie Streets Of Fire has been mentioned already - true confessions, I haven't seen the movie.  But I'm a fan of this soundtrack tune:
(This is the long version; the short version may have appeared in the movie)

Love that song.  It appears in the movie half way during the end credits.  The long version is the B-side to their 1984 hit Are We Ourselves?

Check for new replies or respond here...