inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite short-lived bands/artists of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/23 at 7:16 pm

Whether they had big hits, or small hits, maybe even no hits, the 80s was full of bands and singers who had their "15 minutes of fame" or maybe a small run of hits before calling it quits.  What are some of your favourites?

I will start with a Scottish band called H2O.  They had 2 UK Top 40 hits in 1983 with I Dream to Sleep and Just Outside of Heaven, then released their only album, Faith, in 1984.  They had no success in the US or Canada, but I learned about them thanks to the internet and my ongoing research into what the hits were in other countries.  I found I Dream to Sleep on 45 vinyl record many years ago and it's become one of my most favourite songs.  I wish this had been a hit on this side of the pond.  I listen to this one a lot!

YlKQCOucR0A

Subject: Re: Favourite short-lived bands/artists of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/23 at 7:22 pm

Here is another British band called Wavelength, who also went unknown in the US/Canada.  They released their only album titled Hurry Home in 1982, which produced 4 singles, the only of which charted was the title track which peaked at UK #17.  This is another group I learned about in my on going search for what the hits were in other countries and it's songs like these why I do that.  I have this one on 45 vinyl record and it's such a soothing song.  I really enjoy this one quite much!

dza9d5BNulU

Subject: Re: Favourite short-lived bands/artists of the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/23 at 7:47 pm

Here is one more for now, another band from Scotland called Orange Juice, and once again, no success in the US or Canada.  From 1982-1984, they released 3 albums and charted 9 singles into the UK Top 75, the only one to reach the top 40 being the very catchy Rip It Up in 1983.  Despite no success over here, I hear this song quite often on the musak whenever I go to my local Value Village thrift store. 

The lead singer of this band is Edwyn Collins, who in 1995, had a world-wide hit as a solo artist with the song A Girl Like You, and many people who love that song, may not know that he started out in this band.  Rip It Up is such a catchy song!

UzPh89tD5pA

Check for new replies or respond here...