inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Loverboy (Rock Band)

Written By: whistledog on 05/26/23 at 3:12 pm

Loverboy is a rock band from Calgary, Alberta, Canada that formed in 1979.  They were technically considered a supergroup as several members had come from other bands:  lead singer Mike Reno was the vocalist of a band called Moxy while Paul Dean (guitar) and Matt Frenette (drums) had been founding members of a group called Streetheart.  Rounding out the group was Doug Johnson (keyboards) and Jim Clench (bassist, who is best known for his tenure with April Wine on several albums both before and after his appearance with Loverboy), the latter whom was replaced by Scott Smith before they began work on their debut album. 

Their line-up remained the same until the year 2000 when Smith fell off his boat and was pronounced dead (lost at sea).  The next year, he was replaced by Ken "Spider" Sinnaeve, who was a founding member of Streetheart, so the band sort of came full circle.  On an interesting note, while Dean had left Streetheart after their 1978 debut album, Frenette left after their 1979 2nd album, which had gained in popularity after his departure as their cover of The Rolling Stones' Under My Thumb had risen into the Canadian Top 20 in early 1980 (concurrent while Loverboy were in the studio recording their debut album) and Frenette can be seen in the music video for the song.

Loverboy are still going today as a touring band, but all of their hits were only in the 80s.  Compiled from the Canadian Top 100, Billboard Hot 100 (plus Bubbling Under which is an extension of that chart) and the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart, these were their hits! 

Which song is your favourite?

1980 - The Kid is Hot Tonite
1981 - Turn Me Loose
1981 - Lady of the 80's
1981 - Working For the Weekend
1982 - When It's Over
1982 - Take Me to the Top
1982 - Lucky Ones
1982 - Jump
1983 - Strike Zone
1983 - Hot Girls in Love
1983 - Queen of the Broken Hearts
1985 - Lovin' Every Minute of It
1985 - Dangerous
1986 - This Could Be the Night
1986 - Lead A Double Life
1986 - Heaven in Your Eyes
1987 - Notorious
1989 - Too Hot

NOTE:  The Kid is Hot Tonite was released in the US in 1981 and was the 2nd (and final) US released single from their debut album.

Subject: Loverboy (Rock Band)

Written By: Dude111 on 05/26/23 at 10:37 pm

The newest one I know is Lovin' Every Minute of It  (1985)

Check for new replies or respond here...