inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst Movies from the 1990's

Written By: woops on 04/22/04 at 7:09 pm

Here's some films I consider the worst:  :P

15. Soapdish
14. Fools Rush In
13. Mermaids
12. Pleasantville
11. Leprechaun
10.Dances With Wolves
9. The Chase
8. Wild Wild West
7. Blair Witch Project
6. Waterworld
5. Bird On A Wire
4. Spice World
3. Titanic
2. Nell
1. Cool As Ice

Subject: Re: Worst Movies from the 1990's

Written By: AL-B on 04/25/04 at 12:14 pm

Let me add a few more:

Madonna:Truth Or Dare--Quite possibly the biggest waste of film stock I've ever seen in my life. The whole movie was about Madonna trying to portray herself as being this great artist, but instead revealed her as the pretentious b*tch she really is.

Romeo & Juliet (Lenny DeCaprio and Claire Danes)--Most boring movie I ever had to suffer through.

Dude, Where's My Car? OK, this film actually came out in 2000 but, well, close enough. Being somewhat of a car enthusiast, I actually thought of this as sort of a suspense movie. I was dying to find out what kind of car they had, thinking it'd be a badass old Chevelle or Road Runner or something like that. When the hapless duo's ride turned out to be a Renault Le Car (one of the worst automotive turds ever to roll off an assembly line), I wanted my money back.

Showgirls--Absolutely the worst movie ever made.

Written By: erica on 04/25/04 at 12:50 pm

hey! pleasentville was not a bad movie! it was really cute, and def not the worst!

how about... message in a bottle... that was the only movie i've ever walked out on.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/04 at 1:08 pm

What About Bob was an annoying piece of trash.  That would be the only movie I walked out on.

Written By: Sienna on 04/27/04 at 6:03 pm

Spice World- 'nuff said

Written By: 1992thousand on 04/28/04 at 6:51 am

Bio-dome.  >:(

reminds of that kid on punk'd

"Pauly man, what happened?"
"To what?"
"To your career"

Written By: Cheetara on 04/28/04 at 1:14 pm

Waterworld
>:(

Written By: Erin on 04/29/04 at 11:10 am

Titanic was the worst!!!  It took a very sad but intersting tragedy and turned it in to a sappy movie staring Leo?!  He is the second worst actor I have ever seen.  (Elvis was the first.)

Written By: ... on 05/03/04 at 10:20 am

I would have to say, any movie with a lot of violence and destruction. In 1997-98 we had quite a few such films, like Armageddon and Deep Impcat. I never saw any of those films, but I saw some previews; I can't stand to see stuff like that; it makes my stomach turn. :P When I go to see a movie, I wanna be entertained, not scared to death.

Written By: nally on 05/03/04 at 11:45 am

I would have to say, any movie with a lot of violence and destruction. In 1997-98 we had quite a few such films, like Armageddon and Deep Impcat. I never saw any of those films, but I saw some previews; I can't stand to see stuff like that; it makes my stomach turn. :P When I go to see a movie, I wanna be entertained, not scared to death.

I feel the same way too, Ellipsis. Anytime I see a preview for such a movie, I immediately decide that I have absolutely no desire to see it. I was in high school when "Independence Day" came out, and when it was released on video, my history class watched it just for fun, but I refused to look at it, so during the class period, my back was to the TV the whole time. My teacher understood, so the next day I went to the library.

Written By: AL-B on 05/08/04 at 1:28 pm

I just remembered another really bad one. "Black Dog"(1998), starring future Academy Award nominees Patrick Swayze, Randy Travis, and Meat Loaf. This was a "trucker movie," and I saw it in the drivers' lounge at the Flying J in Stockton, California when I was driving a truck cross country about 3 or 4 years ago. It was so bad even the 'necks thought it was stupid. Rated "T" for Turd!

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/08/04 at 10:47 pm

Any movie with Pauly Shore, Steven Segal,  or Tom Green.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/11/04 at 7:36 pm

I just remembered another really bad one. "Black Dog"(1998), starring future Academy Award nominees Patrick Swayze, Randy Travis, and Meat Loaf. This was a "trucker movie," and I saw it in the drivers' lounge at the Flying J in Stockton, California when I was driving a truck cross country about 3 or 4 years ago. It was so bad even the 'necks thought it was stupid. Rated "T" for Turd!

I read just last week that Swayze's dancing career was ruined when he broke a leg doing a stunt in this waste.

Written By: AL-B on 05/11/04 at 7:46 pm

I read just last week that Swayze's dancing career was ruined when he broke a leg doing a stunt in this waste.
I guess there IS such a thing as karma. ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 05/11/04 at 7:51 pm

:) I guess so, but he hardly deserved that. He always was a dancer first and an actor second. Now he can't do either.

Written By: Koop on 05/11/04 at 8:46 pm

Titanic
The Crow: City of Angels (an insult to Brandon Lee, IMO...why did they need a sequel?)
Mary Reilly
Batman & Robin
Blair Witch Project (I kept waiting for it to get scary)
Highlander II: The Quickening
Psycho (the remake  :P)

Written By: Lanie on 05/23/04 at 6:37 pm

15. Soapdish
14. Fools Rush In
13. Mermaids
12. Pleasantville
11. Leprechaun
10.Dances With Wolves
9. The Chase
8. Wild Wild West
7. Blair Witch Project
6. Waterworld
5. Bird On A Wire
4. Spice World
3. Titanic
2. Nell
1. Cool As Ice

I agree with your list minus "Titanic" and "Pleasantville". I liked those two.

Written By: namilliron on 06/10/04 at 12:49 pm

Dude, Where's My Car? OK, this film actually came out in 2000 but, well, close enough. Being somewhat of a car enthusiast, I actually thought of this as sort of a suspense movie. I was dying to find out what kind of car they had, thinking it'd be a badass old Chevelle or Road Runner or something like that. When the hapless duo's ride turned out to be a Renault Le Car (one of the worst automotive turds ever to roll off an assembly line), I wanted my money back.

Affirmative on D,WMC?  I have four girl cousins aged 18, 16,14 and 11.  Their conversations have degenerated to where every other sentence is dialog from this turkey.

PS:  For me,  it would have to be THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY as the worst film of the 1990s.  I blame it for the permanent freefall comedy has taken since it came out six years ago. 

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/10/04 at 12:56 pm

How about "Street Fighter" I heard that was really bad ::) :P

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/10/04 at 1:18 pm

I'm going way back with these two: Bonfire of the Vanities and Ford Fairlane.  They were both so unbelievably awful I had almost wiped them from my memory.

Written By: resinchaser on 06/10/04 at 1:26 pm

Last night they had one of the Mortal Kombat flicks on Space. I don't know how many of them there were but i'm sure the others sucked just as much as this one.

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/11/04 at 1:30 am

15. Soapdish
14. Fools Rush In
13. Mermaids
12. Pleasantville
11. Leprechaun
10.Dances With Wolves
9. The Chase
8. Wild Wild West
7. Blair Witch Project
6. Waterworld
5. Bird On A Wire
4. Spice World
3. Titanic
2. Nell
1. Cool As Ice

I agree with those minus Dances With Wolves,Nell and Titanic.

Written By: Layce on 07/02/04 at 9:39 pm

The Mask -  boring
Spiceworld - so pointless
Scream - I don't even know
Any movie with Jim Carey

And basicly alot of the ones mentioned here, I agree with. I like Titanic though.

Does anyone rememeber that stupid movie " It's Pat ".  It was kind of like Wayne's World  ::)

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/03/04 at 12:42 am

What About Bob was an annoying piece of trash.  That would be the only movie I walked out on.

I love that movie!! :o :D ;)

Was it Bill Murray's character that annoyed you? ???

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/14/04 at 3:22 pm

What About Bob, Pleasantville, and Titanic were all personal favorites.  :\'( 

1995's "The Net" is probably my least favorite movie of all time.  I find it devastatingly cheesy. 

Written By: Bobby on 07/14/04 at 6:56 pm

Another supporter for 'What about Bob?' over here. What a brilliant film!

As for my personal film flam (get what I did then?  ;D), I have to go along with Armageddon and I wasn't inspired by Independence Day or Apollo 13 either.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/15/04 at 12:01 pm

I love that movie!! :o :D ;)

Was it Bill Murray's character that annoyed you? ???

Me too, thats one of my all time favorites.

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/18/04 at 8:35 am

"The Blair Witch Project" WORST?????  I found that movie so suspenseful and riveting.  Still one of the scariest movies I have ever seen.  The people who I know that hated it said that there wasn't enough gore and "You never even got to see the witch"  I think this in and of itself shows a certain gap twixt readers and visual addicts.  Like I said, IMHO, one of the most frightening movies ever.
God lyk!

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 07/19/04 at 1:52 am

PS:  For me,  it would have to be THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY as the worst film of the 1990s.  I blame it for the permanent freefall comedy has taken since it came out six years ago. 

I totally agree with you there.    :-[

Written By: Sentimentalist on 07/19/04 at 7:45 am

The Odd Couple II,  My wife and I rented it and had to turn off the VCR after about 15 or so minutes.  It was pitiful.
God lyk!

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 7:32 am

Last Action Hero

Written By: chaka on 04/13/05 at 8:20 am

Spice World has got to be the worst!
So freakin dumb and stupid!!!
They probably knew they were gonna split up so they thought:
Why not get some more money by making a cheesy film about ourselves!!!
Well,it worked alright ::) ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/13/05 at 9:01 pm

Cool As Ice

Written By: SkyLowLow on 04/15/05 at 7:21 pm

Another supporter for 'What about Bob?' over here. What a brilliant film!

As for my personal film flam (get what I did then?  ;D), I have to go along with Armageddon and I wasn't inspired by Independence Day or Apollo 13 either.

What About Bob rules!!! who the heck said it sucked, they are obviously dillusional with bouts of intense narcasistic rage :P

Check for new replies or respond here...