inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90's Music Video Poll: Controversial Videos

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 4:55 pm

My choice: Nine Inch Nails "Closer"

Subject: Re: '90's Music Video Poll: Controversial Videos

Written By: Cheetara on 04/28/04 at 5:10 pm

"Justify My Love"  Madonna

Damn!  That was hot!  Hmmm.  Now I have to go look for that video to refresh my memory! ;D

Written By: resinchaser on 04/28/04 at 5:19 pm

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

Written By: Kenlos on 04/28/04 at 5:31 pm

I voted for the Prodigy video, because it has everything in it.

Written By: sarah_duranna:) on 04/28/04 at 6:08 pm

prodigy's smack my b**** up was some scary sh**!  the puke, the drugs, the naked breasts, the going to the bathroom, the strip joint and the sex.  i mean, we were all fooled by the actions of this person, and we all thought it was a guy.then at the very end of the video it turns out to be this really beautiful blonde girl.i still say that those were man hands, though.

and the nine inch nails video had a drawing of a vagina in it, and a naked bald chick!  the monkey was a lot extreme!  peta should have had their heads for that!

i also saw this really creepy video by aphex twin, i forgot the name of the song, but it was weird!

it was all on this special on mtv2 called the most controversial videos of all time.....and britney spears had to make an appearance!  (what a slut!  i hate her!!)

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 6:11 pm

prodigy's smack my b**** up was some scary sh**!  the puke, the drugs, the naked breasts, the
i also saw this really creepy video by aphex twin, i forgot the name of the song, but it was weird!

it was all on this special on mtv2 called the most controversial videos of all time.....and britney spears had to make an appearance!  (what a slut!  i hate her!!)

"Window Licker" is the title of the Aphex Twin  video from the MTV2 "Controversial Videos" special.  :)

Written By: woops on 04/28/04 at 6:14 pm

"Justify My Love"  Madonna

Damn!  That was hot!  Hmmm.  Now I have to go look for that video to refresh my memory! ;D

That video also airs (in it's entirity) on the "MTV2 Controversial Videos" special.  :)

Written By: sarah_duranna:) on 04/28/04 at 6:45 pm

than you so much...i always forget the name of that one. there is another one where bjork is naked and covered in piercings......OUCH!!! it is called pagan poetry.

Written By: Bobby on 04/29/04 at 5:19 am

I went for Justify my love.

Why was 'Black or white' by Michael Jackson controversial?

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/29/04 at 1:17 pm

Other "The Thunder Rolls" by Garth Brooks.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/01/04 at 12:59 pm

That "Supertramp" Madonna was what I chose :P

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 05/04/04 at 5:41 pm

Prodigy- Sm :o :o :o My B :o :o :o :o Up!

Rio

Written By: Lanie on 05/05/04 at 1:15 am

Fiona Apple "Criminal"

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/05/04 at 7:38 am

"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot.  ;D :D :) :P 8)

Written By: namilliron on 06/10/04 at 12:52 pm

I went for Justify my love.

It originally ran for 13 minutes.  THe final 9 of which MJ masturbated repeatedly inbetween a car-smashing binge. 

Hope this helps.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/10/04 at 1:15 pm

It originally ran for 13 minutes.  THe final 9 of which MJ masturbated repeatedly inbetween a car-smashing binge. 

Hope this helps.

OMG, are you serious?

I went with Justify My Love.

Written By: Just visiting for now.. on 06/12/04 at 1:39 am

Pearl Jam's "Jeremy".  I did like the song, and frankly, the very first time  I saw the video it really confused me.  I'd been thinking it was about a teased student going apesh*t on his class, rather than on himself...never really was a Pearl Jam fan, persay, but I did like that song.  We almost named our oldest son Jeremy...then when I saw that video, well, let's just say he's nearly 11 now, and his name ISN'T Jeremy!  :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/23/04 at 11:47 pm

Prodigy's smack my b$#%# up!

Good song, great video concept (some crazy things), and I loved the fact the girl did all of that! How cool was that!

Justify my love  - it was just sex, so??

Written By: goodsin on 07/24/04 at 10:14 am

;D 'cos no-one could tell which he was ?!?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/24/04 at 11:50 am

Because of the supposed violence at the end where he was smashing windows in, hollering like a punk, grabbing his business every other second, the scene at the end was edited out. But, it was retarded. I remember watching it thinking WTF? with my family.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/24/04 at 9:12 pm

Because of the supposed violence at the end where he was smashing windows in, hollering like a punk, grabbing his business every other second, the scene at the end was edited out. But, it was retarded. I remember watching it thinking WTF? with my family.

Hmm so thats what that SNL parody was all about.  Whoever played him did all that and when the cops arrested him, he said "well I guess Im black".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/25/04 at 2:42 pm

Hmm so thats what that SNL parody was all about.  Whoever played him did all that and when the cops arrested him, he said "well I guess Im black".

HA!

Written By: Koop on 07/25/04 at 3:23 pm

Nine Inch Nails's "Closer".  Love the song and the video.

Written By: kayyyyteeee on 12/09/04 at 2:46 pm

prodigy's smack my b**** up was some scary sh**!  the puke, the drugs, the naked breasts, the going to the bathroom, the strip joint and the sex.  i mean, we were all fooled by the actions of this person, and we all thought it was a guy.then at the very end of the video it turns out to be this really beautiful blonde girl.i still say that those were man hands, though.

and the nine inch nails video had a drawing of a vagina in it, and a naked bald chick!  the monkey was a lot extreme!  peta should have had their heads for that!

dude that is awesome...i watched the same show!!
i thought that the prodigy song was so wierd also. :D

Written By: Elvis on 12/09/04 at 3:58 pm

Prodigy's smack my b$#%# up!

Good song, great video concept (some crazy things), and I loved the fact the girl did all of that! How cool was that!

Justify my love  - it was just sex, so??

Hey Tanya, Never saw Prodigy video - just what all cool stuff did the girl do? What did the monkey do? and as for justify my Love- wasn't that the controversial  lesbian stuff?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/09/04 at 9:32 pm

Garth Brooks - The Thunder Rolls

Written By: SkyLowLow on 12/10/04 at 12:30 pm

"Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-A-Lot.  ;D :D :) :P 8)

Put Em on the Glass - Sir Mix-A-Lot

- man did that video have a lot of topless women.

Written By: Chrisrj on 12/11/04 at 2:31 am

OMG, are you serious?

I went with Justify My Love.

You may have seen Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" video that paid tribute to Michael Jackson.  That scene where the lead singer stood on top of the car in the dark and hollered while the car windshield exploded?  That came from the extended "Black or White" video.

As for controversial videos, I went with Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Written By: mrgazpacho on 12/11/04 at 7:14 am

Hey Tanya, Never saw Prodigy video - just what all cool stuff did the girl do? What did the monkey do? and as for justify my Love- wasn't that the controversial lesbian stuff?

The Prodigy video is a view from the eyes of a person who goes out on a wild night, going to bars and nightclubs, betting thrown out and eventually going home with a pole-dancer. Wild sex ensues and the girl leaves. Eventually, we see the person looking into a mirror - and it's been a girl all along!  :o

I think the monkey in Nine Inch Nails' video Closer was in some sort of torturous head restraint - as if it was being used in a sceintific experiment.

And the video for Justify My Love I think was more controversial for the implied masturbation than anything else. Although lesbianism is amways good for a stir! ;D

Written By: Glitter on 12/13/04 at 6:00 pm

Prodigy "S>^<# My B>^<! Up"

Written By: Robbo on 12/17/04 at 4:44 am

Lol, Michael Jackson didn't masturbate in Black or White, he just grabbed his crotch alot. The video is fine for the first 4-5 minutes, then it gets wild...

Michael transforms from a panther into himself. He then walks into this back alley and starts doing alot of dancing, nothing violent or sexual, just alot of dancing. Then he gets wild and jumps on top of a car and starts grabbing his crotch alot while still dancing. Then he smashes a window that says, "******s go home". Then he smashed the wind sheild, takes the sterring wheel out of the car and throws it at a window that says "KKK rules". Then there's some more crotch grabbing. He jumps off the car and onto the street. Then he starts screaming and doing alot of "hoooo's" and "hee-hee's". Then there's alot of sparks and things blowing up. Then he hear's someone coming so he transforms back into a panther and runs away.
It's actually got some really, really good dancing. I think it was the window smashing and crotch grabbing that got it banned.

Written By: eightiesfan on 12/17/04 at 7:57 am

I can't remember the name of the song, but George Michael made kind of a racy video in the late 90's as well after his arrest for "pleasuring" himself in the Beverly Hills public restroom.  The song was sort of his response to the controversy and he dressed up in a cop's uniform in the video.

Written By: Bobby on 12/17/04 at 7:33 pm

Hope this helps.

Ah! This along with the other post by Robbo has helped me to remember the 'panther' thing. Surely it wasn't that bad on retrospect?

As for goodsins comment, I had a good  ;D on that one.

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/17/04 at 10:44 pm

I chose "Closer"

That song was catchy, but the some of the lyrics...whoa

"I wanna (bleep) you like an animal"

Written By: NullandVoid on 12/17/04 at 10:45 pm

I can't remember the name of the song, but George Michael made kind of a racy video in the late 90's as well after his arrest for "pleasuring" himself in the Beverly Hills public restroom.  The song was sort of his response to the controversy and he dressed up in a cop's uniform in the video.

I think the song that you're talking about is called "Outside".

Written By: Tim on 01/25/05 at 3:08 pm

I'm tired of people saying that the "Closer" video by Nine Inch Nails is controversial. There is noething wrong with those people doing what they do in there videos. I mean sure, they hung a monkey on a cross.  >:(  It's called frredom of speech ladies and gentlemen, look it up.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/05 at 4:37 pm

Black Or White Michael Jackson

Howard

Written By: 90s boy on 01/26/05 at 9:46 pm

i would have to say madonnas Erotica cause this was around the time here sex book came out and the videos verey hot she makes out with anouther chick in the video pre VMAS 2003

Written By: Daniel on 03/16/05 at 4:29 pm

"I think the monkey in Nine Inch Nails' video Closer was in some sort of torturous head restraint - as if it was being used in a sceintific experiment."

The whole video was done in homage to Joel-Peter Witkin.  The imagery, the texture...  Everything from the bald naked chic wearing the black crucifix mask to Trent's face on the still life to the monkey on the cross.  If you haven't seen any of Witkin's work then you wouldn't understand.  Come to think of it...if you saw any of Witkin's work you still wouldn't understand.  Ha! ;)

It's really a beautiful video.

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/29/05 at 11:55 am

Other, since this one was not on there, but Nirvana's Heart shaped box... bc, dead babies and jesus, but I like that video bc its cool.

Written By: chaka on 04/13/05 at 11:16 am

Wow,that video WAS controversial :o :o :o

Subject: '90's Music Video Poll: Controversial Videos

Written By: Dude111 on 02/26/18 at 7:26 pm

Black or white - Love that song!

Check for new replies or respond here...