inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Styles of 1994...help!!!!!

Written By: Carrie on 05/05/04 at 1:46 pm

Just found this website and thought I would ask for help.  This year is my 10 year high school reunion.  We have a big alumni parade and the theme is Styles of "1994".  We could really use anything between about 1990-1994.  I can't think of anything that stands out.  I think our style was pretty laid back in early 90's.  Please help...I'm stumped.

Subject: Re: Styles of 1994...help!!!!!

Written By: AL-B on 05/05/04 at 8:41 pm

Anything flannel

Written By: elodie on 05/06/04 at 10:41 am

"The Rachel" haircut. That stupid bob she had that everybody ran out and got 2 weeks after 'Friends' premiered.

Written By: Layce on 05/06/04 at 2:30 pm

Good luck on this one!  The 90s were kind of the " dress how you please " decade.  I do remember a lot of mid 90s fashion recycled from the 60s and 70s, like baby doll dresses. I also remember those short pixie hair cuts, not the Rachel, it was much shorter with the baby bangs...oookay, I'm not helping very much  ::)

Something that stands out is going to be a bit difficult to look for, because in that case I think everyone stood out in 94!

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/07/04 at 9:31 pm

I remember seeing a lot of the original grunge look, and a lot of the usual heavy metal long-hair look, oh and also I think the short-shirt/hair look started coming in(What's the frequency kenneth, black hole sun). 
Also, I think saggy pants and the hooded look were coming in... 
Bright/alternative-themed colors, but not over-the-top like the 80s(though they were still cool).
In Junior high, I think overalls were becoming popular.
Flat-top haircuts.
Ski caps, and backwards baseball caps.

It was like, even though the mid 90s' vibe of dark/sunny/alternative was dominative, the early 90s were barely still holding on, but the late 90s were slowly creeping in.

Do you, or anyone else, have a yearbook?  Maybe you should check that out.

Written By: donna on 05/10/04 at 9:24 am

Just found this website and thought I would ask for help.  This year is my 10 year high school reunion.  We have a big alumni parade and the theme is Styles of "1994".  We could really use anything between about 1990-1994.  I can't think of anything that stands out.  I think our style was pretty laid back in early 90's.  Please help...I'm stumped.

The early 90's were actually some of the best years as far as more formal styles went, in my opinion. Us girls actually took the time to pick out cool prom dresses, that were extravagant, sexy, showy, and flirtatious, we actually looked like girls !!

Written By: grrregpower on 05/21/04 at 12:13 pm

ok '94
bead jewelry, chokers, smokestack jeans, denim shirts, baggy t shirts, flannel shirts,thermal shirts under flannel shirts with flannel sleeves cut off (also with t shirts) platform shoes/boots, logo arted t shirts, alien - inspired t shirts, chained wallets, granny boots, frankenstein shoes, joe boxers, any kind of outer jacket as long as it was over sized and matte in color, adidas v necked shirts or the entire sweatsuit, charm necklaces, logo arted baseball caps -worn backwards,uniform jackets from blue collar jobs, remember to part your hair in the middle and wear it long...good times!!!hee hee

Written By: tekkno_bwoy on 05/21/04 at 1:59 pm

I can think of some other styles from 1994, and amazingly enough, it was at MY old school.  I was 16 then.....darn.....I feel so freakin' oooooooooooooold!  :D 

1.  Tommy Hilfiger was a real big thing in my high school, since Snoop Dogg sported a TH jersey on the Letterman Show in March.

2.  Karl Kenai clothing was a biggie too.

3.  Nike or Adidas sun visors...either turned backwards, or flipped upside down.

4.  Baggy, and extremely saggin' pants.

5.  Boss clothing was another one.

6.  Jnco pants made their way into the mid 90s scene.

7.  Of course the flannels and cargo pants.

8. Skorts-- big thing with a lot of the religious girls at my school.

9.  Even though only 2 or 3 dudes in my whole hs could sport facial hair(me NOT included)...the goatee and mutton chops were pretty big.

10.  Beanies and jerseys with sports names.

11.  Flacks

12.  Cat eye glasses, like the ones Lisa Loeb wore were popular.

13.  Raver gear(for girls), such as tight shirts with little phrases on them, little back packs, and gloss glitter lipstick.

13.  Typical prep and jock looks.

14.  Quite a few people carried around really big cellphones and pagers to look cool, but didn't want to admit it was because their parents wanted them to have them for emergencies.  Pagers were required for our school...if you wanted to be cool... 8)

15.  Of course in 1994, we had a problem with gang activity, so we had people with bandanas, certain colours, and had gesture they used to "represent" their neigbourhood.

Good god, I've writen a novel!  Anyways there you go.  Toy around with some of those ideas.... ;D

Written By: Gwen on 05/22/04 at 6:07 pm

Where I was there were a lot of people wearing baggy clothes.
Some of the shirt styles were big stripes that went up and down.  Hooded shirts.
Those pullovers that had the V necks and were really thick material with the two thick strings to tie (I don't remember the name)
Doc Martin's
Anything flannel
guys haircuts where long, some guys in my school had long hair that was shaved on the sides and back  but pulled into a ponytail, fades were in style then too.

Written By: hipsterdoofus on 06/27/04 at 4:11 pm

I remember girls having these bowl haircuts with bangs that came down over there eyes. I liked that look! :)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/27/04 at 5:15 pm

1994...hmm..let's see..I was wearing something cool..(not cool like being cool..cool like I was living in Florida at the time!  ;D)  Everyone I saw was just dressing comfortably..no big styles that I noticed..but, being as I was just an 'old married mom' then, style was the last thing on my mind.    :-\\

I do recall seeing pictures of my younger sister, and she was wearing a lot of black, a lot of flannel, and Doc Martens, of course.  :)

I do take exception to the post that "the early 90's were actually some of the best years as far as more formal styles went.. and that girls actually took the time to pick out cool prom dresses, that were extravagant, sexy, showy, and flirtatious, we actually looked like girls", though..Now, I DID get one formal dress in the early 90's, as I was married in 1992..LOL!..but, in the 80's, WE had nice formals as well.  I took plenty of time picking out my prom dresses, as did everyone I knew.  I really think that kind of post is based on our age, as opposed to the actual styles...I'm sure girls in the 70's thought they were pretty well dressed..(at least IN the 70's!  LOL!) but to someone who "dressed up" in the 60's or 80's, they might disagree.  ;)

But I think you are right to not see anything "significant" as far as dress in the 90's.  Honestly, we just always thought that the 90's, and the whole "grunge" thing, meant it was a time to kick back, relax, and look like a slob with droopy drawers and still have it considered socially acceptable.  :D

That isn't to say everybody dressed that way, though..before I dig myself a hole..I think it's best to just remember what YOU enjoyed dressing like, what the musical styles were, movies, stuff like that.  Look at old pictures of yourself, look at yearbooks--they'd probably hold a weath of information for you.  :)

I mean, hey, I consider myself a "child of the 80's"...but that's not to say that I talked like a Valley Girl, or wore tons of neon either.. 8)

Good luck with your reunion!  I feel for ya..I was on our reunion commitee a few years ago myself.  That's what originally brought ME here, too!     :)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 3:21 pm

Overalls were very popular in '94.  And that was the year when me & my girlfriends got into the whole false eyelash trend :P

Written By: resinchaser on 06/28/04 at 3:25 pm

Overalls were very popular in '94. 

We wore those up here too! But you had to have one side unbuttoned to show off your Vuarnet shirt :D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/23/04 at 11:39 pm

Hey, my 10th year reunion is next month as well!

I can't think to save my mind what we wore then. Maybe it's a good thing.

Babydoll dresses (my favorite)
Baggy jeans
Doc Martaans

Written By: MESHELLEP on 08/04/04 at 6:30 am

HELLO I AM IN THE SAME BOAT I AM SUPPOSED TO SPEAK AT MY 10TH CLASS REUNION ON WHAT WE WORE AND SO ON IN 1994. ONE THING I REMEMBER US WEARING WERE GIRBAUD GEANS AND STARTER JACKETS AND ADIDAS SWEATS AND OF COURSE LEVIS JEANS FOR THE GIRLS.

Written By: trish on 10/29/04 at 4:04 pm

you can take exception, but i believe she is right....1992-1993, best year for formals EVER!!! I absolutely loved the beautiful dresses, so femenine,so short, full of sequins, ruffles and lace !we actually took the time to look nice, do our hair beautifully, nails etc
1994...hmm..let's see..I was wearing something cool..(not cool like being cool..cool like I was living in Florida at the time!  ;D)  Everyone I saw was just dressing comfortably..no big styles that I noticed..but, being as I was just an 'old married mom' then, style was the last thing on my mind.    :-\\

I do recall seeing pictures of my younger sister, and she was wearing a lot of black, a lot of flannel, and Doc Martens, of course.  :)

I do take exception to the post that "the early 90's were actually some of the best years as far as more formal styles went.. and that girls actually took the time to pick out cool prom dresses, that were extravagant, sexy, showy, and flirtatious, we actually looked like girls", though..Now, I DID get one formal dress in the early 90's, as I was married in 1992..LOL!..but, in the 80's, WE had nice formals as well.  I took plenty of time picking out my prom dresses, as did everyone I knew.  I really think that kind of post is based on our age, as opposed to the actual styles...I'm sure girls in the 70's thought they were pretty well dressed..(at least IN the 70's!  LOL!) but to someone who "dressed up" in the 60's or 80's, they might disagree.  ;)

But I think you are right to not see anything "significant" as far as dress in the 90's.  Honestly, we just always thought that the 90's, and the whole "grunge" thing, meant it was a time to kick back, relax, and look like a slob with droopy drawers and still have it considered socially acceptable.  :D

That isn't to say everybody dressed that way, though..before I dig myself a hole..I think it's best to just remember what YOU enjoyed dressing like, what the musical styles were, movies, stuff like that.  Look at old pictures of yourself, look at yearbooks--they'd probably hold a weath of information for you.  :)

I mean, hey, I consider myself a "child of the 80's"...but that's not to say that I talked like a Valley Girl, or wore tons of neon either.. 8)

Good luck with your reunion!  I feel for ya..I was on our reunion commitee a few years ago myself.  That's what originally brought ME here, too!     :)

Written By: Alice on 10/31/04 at 5:36 pm

I was a DJ at a 1994 retrospective party here in my hometown earlier this month and one of the conditions to get in was to dress in a 1994 style. The absolute fashion item of the year was Wonder Bra which made a big return that year. Other than that... Grunge fashion was still in, Hip Hop fashion was more or less the same as this year's one, it didn't change that much at all, there was also a slight '60s nostalgia in the air due to "Britpop" movement breaking over in the UK that year, whereas Dance music acts were dressing in the '70s Disco style with a more up-to-date approach wearing Hot Pants, Skinny T-shirts...etc. Take a look at these pictures I found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1994/images/wonderbra173.jpg http://www.christina-applegate.net/odds/prem/1994/miz050594/miz01.jpg http://www.natashaplato.com/Natbrunette.jpg http://www.natashaplato.com/Nat%20with%20ruffles.jpg

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 11/01/04 at 5:36 am

^Is that you? 

Yowza.  :D

Written By: Alice on 11/01/04 at 12:35 pm

^Is that you? 

Yowza.   :D

;D

Of course not! I look completetly different.

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/14/04 at 2:37 am

Well, definately overalls were big, denim jackets, flannel shirts, starter jackets and caps, adidas shoes, some people still had converse shoes.....lets see here.....the grunge people would wear rippy faded jeans, a concert t-shirt with an unbuttoned shirt over top and have long hair. I also remember seeing lots of people wearing sweatshirt and sweatpants  :P. That's really all I can think of, but I do agree that watching old television or movies from around that time might help. Try watching the Roseanne sitcom to see what Becky and Darlene were wearing.  :)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/15/04 at 5:38 pm

Look at the ads in old 1994 issues of women's magazines, teen magazines and True Story/True Romance. Hiking gear was in. Neon still showed up now and then and purple seemed to be a popular color. Vests, poet shirts, berets, baby doll t-shirts, velvet choakers, baggy high water pants, flannel and long shorts (Oxymoron, I know). Everyone had bowl cuts or bob cuts!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...