inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most MEMORABLE 90s year for YOU!!

Written By: Cheetara on 05/05/04 at 4:54 pm

List the best and worst year for you...

1997:  best year of the 90s

1996:    Worst year of my life. 

Overall, 90s weren't so good for me.  The 80s rocked!  00s are pretty good. 

Subject: Re: Most MEMORABLE 90s year for YOU!!

Written By: Bobby on 05/05/04 at 5:04 pm

Bizarrely enough, Cheetara, I feel the same way. The best year of the 1990s was, for me, 1991 closely followed by 1990. Ironically it was caused out of badness. My mum and dad separated and so me and my brother went with my dad as my two sisters stayed with my mum.

We went to live with my nan, grandad and my uncle and, bizarrely enough, it was the best time of my life to live as a big extended family with people who I loved dearly. I played out with my friends until dark and had great times. Unfortunately, by the end of 1991, my nan died after complications with a broken leg she had incurred. I felt terribly guilty because she got her broken leg by falling on the stairs after slipping on some magazines I left there. It was then that I realised that actions, however slight, had repercussions. My grief was not immediate as I had not experienced this kind of loss before.

During 1991, my dad met a lady and they were married very quickly after 1991 passed. I knew from there that life was never going to be the same.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/04 at 8:18 pm

1992 Graduation

1995 death of my Brother :\'(

Howard

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/05/04 at 10:15 pm

1997 was a year of firsts for me:
First real boyfriend
First time I smoked cigs(and something else, not crack :P)
First time I got SERIOUSLY drunk
First time I cut class (senior year HS)
Hung out with the popular crowd in my school for the first time (it sucked, they were shallow)

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 8:55 am

The 1990s were a bit of a blur for me and here's why:

1990 daughter born
1992 eldest daughter starts kindergarten
1993 son born
1994 eldest daughter starts school, second daughter starts kindergarten
1995 death of a close friend
1996 son born, second daughter starts school
1997 eldest son starts kindergarten
1999 eldest son starts school and I turned 40!! :P

Written By: Cheetara on 05/06/04 at 12:32 pm

@Bobby:  Wow.  I hope all is well for you now in the 00s.  :)

@Howard:  I'm sorry to hear that you lost your brother.  :(

@NullandVoid:  Sounds like you had a ball in 1997.

@Jaytee:  You were blessed with lovely children.  Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 12:47 pm

1992-Best: my son Matt was born

1991-Worst: Dawn (A very dear friend) was killed at age 19 :\'(

Written By: BUNNY on 05/06/04 at 6:11 pm

1989-1990 The worst day of my life I lost both of my parents my mom died in l989
my dad died a year later. I started drinking and it was a constant battle in 1994 summer time I was able to beat it
it was hard but I did it. I don't talk about because that is one road I don't ever want to go down again.
I been helping other people so after 94 the l990's were okay.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 7:48 pm

1997-met my new girlfriend  :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 7:48 pm

@Bobby:   Wow.  I hope all is well for you now in the 00s.  :)

@Howard:   I'm sorry to hear that you lost your brother.   :(

@NullandVoid:  Sounds like you had a ball in 1997.

@Jaytee:  You were blessed with lovely children.  Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.   :(

Thanks,Cheet.Thanks 4 caring. :)

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/04 at 8:29 pm

@Bobby:   Wow.  I hope all is well for you now in the 00s.  :)

From 1992 - 2000, it's been an uphill battle (with myself usually). I got thrown out of home twice by both parents (first time from Wolverhampton to the south of England!), I had to contend with religious hypocrisy and a mother that was both severely negligent and ill. Amongst that I felt tremendous guilt as I blamed myself for my nan's death so, perhaps unsurprisingly I was diagnosed with chronic depression in 1998. I was jobless around this time and was introduced to unrequited love as well. The 90s were hell and quite a blur as well, probably why I don't post too much on this particular part of the boards . . .

However, the important part is by 2001, things were picking up. I talked things through with a counsellor who was wonderful and my life has got better and better with thanks to my girlfriend. She gave me a sense of pride and validation. She made me think 'It's them that's the problem, not me.' The moral is, regardless of how hard things look. You've got to keep living and looking for a solution.

Sorry I've gone on, Cheetara but I feel purged now.  :)

Written By: Colleen on 05/06/04 at 11:33 pm

The 2000s ARE AWFUL
(except 2000, and that doesn't count)

2000 was more a part of the 90s

The best years for me were the late 90s because thats when I got into my favorite music (Garbage, etc)

The mid 90s had so much great music but I was only 11 or so so I missed it all :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 10:57 am

1989-1990 The worst day of my life I lost both of my parents my mom died in l989
my dad died a year later. I started drinking and it was a constant battle in 1994 summer time I was able to beat it
it was hard but I did it. I don't talk about because that is one road I don't ever want to go down again.
I been helping other people so after 94 the l990's were okay.
I'm so sorry to hear about your tragedy, BUNNY :\'( I too have battled the bottle for quite some time now....it's been nothing but horrible     :-[

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/07/04 at 8:09 pm

1998:  I got more social, which has its ups & downs.  Then my grandfather died, and my mother lost her job so she went looking for work and ended up taking several jobs, which lasted until around 1999 or 2000 when she finally found a permanent job.
But I graduated high school later on, so despite all these, I still consider this one of my favorite years.

1990:  I was a geeky 10 year old.  Sometimes I went too far at it, so now I look back at those times and feel humiliated by it...

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/12/04 at 10:35 pm

Wow...These posts make me appreciate the good times and it's somewhat comforting to know we're all in this together! and to those with tragedies in the '90s, my condolences and for those who perservered, you're an inspiration!

1993 - Life changing experience in Europe
1994 - The birth of my daughter - yeah!

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 3:31 am

Wow...These posts make me appreciate the good times and it's somewhat comforting to know we're all in this together! and to those with tragedies in the '90s, my condolences and for those who perservered, you're an inspiration!

Much appreciated Vapor Trails. The danger of talking about intimate parts of your life is that some people may think you haven't got over them and that you still have a problem. It's my way of saying 'if you can stop thinking in such a narrow-minded way, I will help you reach a different conclusion.'  ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/13/04 at 4:27 pm

Good for you! Bobby.  :)  I can understand...when it comes to uphill battles.  Gotta have faith and things will get better.

Written By: Bobby on 05/13/04 at 6:11 pm

Good for you! Bobby.   :)  I can understand...when it comes to uphill battles.  Gotta have faith and things will get better.

Thank you.  :)

Written By: grrregpower on 05/21/04 at 12:00 pm

1994- the year everything started to look good to me , the last of the rave years, the death of my dad,
it was twisted, but the most memorable..and the music ROCKED!!! I was grungy looking and I don't regret it!!!

Written By: tekkno_bwoy on 05/21/04 at 2:26 pm

The year I graduated HS.  Got accepted to a big university, but couldn't go because it was too expensive.  Met my eldest sister for the first time in my life, I got to go to California with her.  Got my first traffic ticket.  Went on my second big roadtrip with a couple of friends.  Met a girl I swore I wanted to marry.  Went the whole year without getting sick.  All and all, 1996 was the best year for me.

Not a very good college year for me.  Too much drama in the dorms.  One of the basketball players didn't like me because of my "difference".  Failed a class.  Got dumped by the girl I swore I would marry.  Car took a crap on me, but luckily I got a new one.  Had a crappy summer job working for my local town school district.  Almost got into a fight with some idiots and an 18+ dance club.  Almost got into a fight at a Halloween party before I went to a rave.  Grandma started getting sick.

Written By: tv on 05/23/04 at 11:22 pm

1997 was the worst(fell on hard times.)
1998 was the best: graduated High School and was more social.
1996 was cool too: that was a chill out year. I lilked 1996 alot.
1995 was really awkward: going to a new school(starting high school), The Utah Jazz(my fave NBA team) went 60-22 and was a sure bet to go to the NBA Finals that year and then lost to the Houston Rockets in Game 5 of the first round on the Jazz's home court. 1994 was good: graduated middle school and went to Alaska.

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 05/24/04 at 5:13 pm

1990 - I was married for the second time
1993 - My first child was born

Written By: JT74 on 05/25/04 at 11:23 pm

Best:   1992 - graduation
Worst: 1995 - grandmother passes away on my birthday (which was also a gift depending on how you look at it.  We all need someone watching over us.)

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/28/04 at 10:11 am

Best years was 1990 & 1991  - I met my husband in '90 and married him in '91.

Worst year had to be 1998, when I was diagnosed with lupus.

Written By: hoogbest on 05/29/04 at 5:17 pm

1999 : My only daughter was married AND I survived a triple by-pass.........God blessed me twice! :)

Written By: Xcess-N-Htown on 05/30/04 at 4:02 am

Best years was 1990 & 1991  - I met my husband in '90 and married him in '91.

Worst year had to be 1998, when I was diagnosed with lupus.

Sorry to hear Penny, Hope you are doing better.

Written By: mandamoo on 06/02/04 at 7:20 am

Most memorable would be 1992, the year I got married. :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/03/04 at 12:43 pm

Sorry to hear Penny, Hope you are doing better.

I am doing much better now, I feel great.  Thanks Xcess-N-Htown  ;)

Written By: Jennifer2776 on 06/12/04 at 11:05 pm

1993-Got Married :)
1993-Daughter Jessica was born :)
1993-Met my best friends  :)
1997-Dear friend passed away-Jamie(I miss you so much) :\'(
1999-My neice was born-Lizzy :)
2000-My nephew was born-Jacob :)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/14/04 at 6:52 am

1998 was both the best & the worst - My grandmother (whom I was very close to) passed away in July & my daughter was born in November.

Written By: 1992thousand on 06/14/04 at 11:49 am

1991-moved to the block i grew up on(and moved away in fall 99)
1997-turned 13, got into trouble @ school all year long, moved up to advanced band early, block scheduling(1hr 40 mins of english, *snore*) luckilly only 1 year of all that trouble and block scheduling.
1995-6th grade got moved up to middle school, started 6th grade that fall. last year before people started to move away.
1998-best friends moved at end of 8th grade, started high school that fall.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/14/04 at 10:49 pm

1990---Graduated high school
1992--Married my husband, moved to a new state
1993--Had our first son
1995--Moved back 'home'
1997--Had our daughter
1999--This was a big year for both good and bad. 
:) We bought our house  :)
:\'(  My mom died  :\'(
>:( On the DAY she died, was diagnosed with a really annoying disease I'd NEVER suspected I had (great timing, Dr. Break-it-to-me-over-the-phone)  >:(  ((still pretty bitter about that))

Needless to say, I was fairly happy when the 2000's started.  ;)

Written By: tvlover1212 on 09/08/04 at 4:37 am

EXACTLY!!!!!  We are all in this together!!!

Written By: ... (ellipsis) on 09/08/04 at 2:54 pm

2000-My nephew was born-Jacob :)

I'm glad you had a nephew named Jacob (I'm happy for you), but that's not a nineties year.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/10/04 at 12:16 pm

1990 - Entered High School
1994 - Graduated High School
1994 - Entered college
1998 - Give Birth to soon
1999 - Graduated College

Tanya

Written By: nally on 09/10/04 at 12:27 pm

1992 - Graduated from elementary school/entered middle school
1994 - Graduated from middle school/entered high school
1998 - Graduated from high school/entered college

Written By: ComaWhite1978 on 09/19/04 at 4:48 am

ALL years were great and memorable, so the easiest way to answer this post is give highlights of each year.

1990 - Spending everyday at the lake during that hot summer; great times were had. Anyone admit to remembering Fido Dido and "neon"?!? Maybe not.
1991 - Starting junior high.  The Gulf War. Metallica: The Black Album.
1992 - Height of the "grunge" era. Riding dirt bikes and quads.  Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Metallica were the soundtracks.
1993 - Shannon (Always love you). First "job".
1994 - The Dark Year.  NIN, The Crow, Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers figure very prominently.
1995 - First car - great summer. Collective Soul, Weezer and Hootie and the Blowfish.
1996 - Graduating from high school.
1997 - Probably the greatest year of the 90s for me. First real job. Nephew was born. Bar/club hopping. Heaven's Gate cult and the Hale-Bopp comet.
1998 - Bought second car. Sister bought first house. Denis Leary, Lock N Load.
1999 - Second greatest year of the 90s for me. Y2K bug/hoax.

Written By: goodsin on 10/02/04 at 7:00 am

Fave: 1991. I started the year watching the sunrise over Gloucestershire from the top of a double-decker bus parked at a festival, ended it watching London turn bright orange & purple from Camden Roundhouse, listening to Spiral Tribe mash it up. In between I attended in the region of 20 illegal festivals, Rave culture was at it's peak (we heralded 1991 as the "second summer of love").

Written By: Simeon Suscipperra on 11/25/04 at 9:39 pm

I was born in 1987 and I remember all the music of the '90s pretty well - that is, from 1992 onward. I was really into pop music as soon as I started school. How could anybody over the age of five forget about Salt 'N Pepa?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/26/04 at 10:48 am

Best year:  1994
Worst year: 1997

Written By: sputnikcorp on 11/26/04 at 12:40 pm

1992. my friends and i had a ball that year. constant partying and goodtimes.

Written By: FeLdMAN_FANATIC on 11/26/04 at 2:20 pm

1991 My brother was born :D
1992 First Dance Revue  :)
1994 First Vacation when i was 5 :D
1996 My sister was born :D
         Dog died  :\'(
         Lost my favorite blanket  :\'( (yeah, i was sad at the time)
1997 We moved  ::)
1999 I turned the 2-digit number, 10 :D
         Found out I was gonna have a new cousin   :D

I have a lot more things but this is what i can name. I just loved growing up in the 90s and i remember watching so many things on tv during this decade. I'll never forget it!

Written By: Mergal on 11/28/04 at 8:26 pm

I'll start with the worst...

1990---Definitely NOT a hard choice for me! I was an awkward 14-year-old. I was socially inept and I was just weird looking! Also the fashion/music $ucked.

And the best, I guess...

1995---I was in love and in a relationship, and I was almost at my peak with my looks (has definitely gone down-hill since). I also loved the fashion and music.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/29/04 at 10:19 pm

1995: I saw Short Circuit for the first time and got a HUGE crush on Steve Guttenberg.

1997: This was the granddaddy of 'em all, folks. I was in 6th grade. It was the best year of my life. The Spice Girls, Hanson, The Wedding Singer, Titanic! I spent hours drawing characters from The Simpsons and Sonic the Hedgehog. 1997 was also the year of the Endgame story arc in the Archie Comics Sonic the Hedgehog series. If you check around online for Endgame and Sonic, you'll dig up a lot of interesting stuff.

Last but not least, yeah, I know it's not the 90s, but...

2000: It wasn't a great year for me, but it was the year I discovered Thomas Haden Church. Oh, how I love to reminisce about my first year as a Churchie. 

Written By: Alchoholica on 12/06/04 at 6:22 am

Wow.. the 90's being my first full decade held a lot of wonderfull moments. Going to my first football game with my dad in liike 1995. Moving house in '97. Moving school three times in that decade (twice in the next lol) Really getting in to music & Wrestling (the two loves of my life) tons of stuff.. great decade.. this one seems.. ok so far  :-\\

Written By: karen on 12/06/04 at 6:59 am

Lots of good things happened in the 90's for me

1992 got married

1995 graduated with my BSc

1997 moved house and graduated with my MSc

1998 my daughter was born

Written By: Pheonix2577 on 12/11/04 at 3:22 pm

The 90's very a pretty interesting decade, just are 00's.

I love music and I am always looking for new forms of expression and new ways of expressing myself.  In January 1991, a day before th U.S. declared war on Iraq, my family and I moved from NY to York, PA.  I remember thinking everybody in PA were a bunch and spent most of my time alone playing my guitar.  It was very humid that summer and I remember waking up to the sun everyday wishing there was someone to enjoy it with.  I've been to California and I think southern Pennsylvania gets as much sun during the summer as California does.

As the summer, unwind I began to make friends with the neighborhood kids.  I eventually started having girlfriends.  It such a thrilling experience, making out in the warm Summer night.  I remember that time with a feeling of being alive, with a feeling of turbulence in anticipation of change.  That change came in the fall of 1991.

I am sounding unoriginal when I say that Nirvana change the face of music.  But that fall there were so many great albums including Nevermind and RHCP's Blood Sugar Sex Magic, all of which gave me hope that things do change.  Sometimes change hurts, sometimes it requires sacrifice, but changes is good.  To change is to grow, to dream, to be alive.  Without growth there is only stagnation and ultimately death.  Maybe not death in the physical sense but almost surely in a spiritual.

There been times in my life when I look back that I realize were not the greatest moments of my life.  But I regret nothing and there isn't a year I particularly hated. 

1998 was a transitional year in my life.  I have many transitional years in my life.  1998 was important because my perception and goals radically changed or maybe they just started reverted to the dreams I had as a kid.  That year I read Catcher in the Rye.  At that time I was only 20, in the Navy and already tired with what life had to offer.  I had money, I had a car, but I felt that direction I was going in was not the direction that I wanted to go.  For some reason I was able to identify with Holden Caufield.

Maybe because life can be such a game some times and I think playing games is a waste of time.  It's like relationships.  Some people pursue like it's a game or a quest.  I pursue relationships with spontaneity and a search for connection.

In 1998, I began playing the guitar more.  I believe I had I paradigm shift and this shift has been occuring over the past couples.  Slowly I felt music was revealing it's secret.  What was the secret? I wish I could explain.  But I remember being (and am still) excited about the little nuances, rhythms, melodies, etc.

And again it was music that had the greatest impact on my life...

It was Sunday.  I remember it was raining.  Another dark, gloomy day in the suburbs of Willow Grove, PA.  I was walking back from the gym when I saw my old roomate, Janosky.  He was going to the mall and asked me if I wanted to come along.  We ended up shopping in Pacific Sunware, trying to be California while living in Pennsylvania.

On the way back home we stopped at Best Buy.  Walking around I saw Radiohead's OK Computer.  At that time, I've heard nothing about this CD.  The summer before I saw the video for Paranoid Android and thought that it was a great song.  But after that I've nothing about.(Didn't have MTV at that time).  So i bought it.

From the first note of Airbag, I knew that my life was going to change.  Listening to lyrics like "...ambition makes you pretty ugly, kicking screaming Gucci little piggy...", "...and you can laugh a spineless laugh we hope you rules and wisdom choke you," and "...a job that slowly kills you..." was basically stated my overall feeling about life and, in some regard,  people in general.

I cried when I listen to Karma Police.  For a minute there I lost myself, I lost myself.  For a minute there I did lose myself and sometimes I forget and lose myself again.  But I always end finding him again.  I'm more sure of the path I'm on and more sure of the direction I am going in.  I look forward to the future and look to the past for encouragement

Written By: ... on 12/13/04 at 4:20 pm

2000: It wasn't a great year for me, but it was the year I discovered Thomas Haden Church. Oh, how I love to reminisce about my first year as a Churchie. 
That's not a nineties year. It doesn't have a 9 in the tens place.

Written By: katie on 12/22/04 at 8:18 pm

ok i am wanting to be an officer for my drill team if any of yall would be so kind anough to help me over the holidays we were all given a time period i was given the90s!and to tell u the truth i dont know a thing about it!what i am supose to do is pick to large events that happened pick a song to do with it and write a bio and try to make it a dance!really hard! if any of yall have an idea let me know please!!!!i have to turn it in by jan8th so the sooner the better!
Katie_anna_kemp@yahoo.com

Written By: figwig on 01/02/05 at 8:02 pm

Worst: 1994 
my dad died
Best friend moved

Best: 95-99
Just Awsome alot of growing up experiances that i will never forget.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/20/11 at 7:45 pm

My best years were 1992 - 98, during that time I was in Jr High and High school. I think my most memorable year is 1993.

Written By: King Tut on 08/20/11 at 7:56 pm

1990-1991 was very nice. 1996 was nice. I despise 1998-99.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/20/11 at 9:19 pm

Okay, whose bright idea was it to resurrect this thread?  ::)

Anyway, I really don't remember much prior to around the year 1996. My recollection of the entire decade comes in bits and pieces, since I was only eight years old when the '90s ended. I think the most memorable year from the '90s for me would be 1997. In that year, I graduated from pre-k, started kindergarten, and broke my arm. I guess 1999 would come at a close second, if not at a tie, because I remember a lot from that year, too. 

Check for new replies or respond here...