inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird 90's fad

Written By: 1992thousand on 05/06/04 at 8:58 am

i dont know how big this was everywhewre else, but when i was in middle school, i think the 95-96 school year, we had this weird fad where all the kids were wearing the lanyard keychains  ??? people would have em in all different colors and they always had to have some words on them, lol. That was just a bad one, i still jumped into it, but man that was a bad fad. And it was a fad in the truest sense, because when i wore one early on in the 96-97 school year kids were like "ohh man, nobody wears those anymore!"

Subject: Re: Weird 90's fad

Written By: RoxieWalk on 05/21/04 at 7:08 am

one word : *POGS* :P :P :P

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/21/04 at 8:24 am

In the midwest another weird fad was popular among college students in the early 90's - cow tipping.  ::)

Written By: Harmonica on 07/21/04 at 8:50 am

gia pets and Furbees! AH!!! Or how about Yo-Yo's or What's Up!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't remind me!

Written By: bj26 on 07/21/04 at 3:36 pm

My kid put all these key chains and clip ons on her backpack, it looked like they added a lot of weight to the already stuffed backpack.

Written By: eightiesfan on 07/22/04 at 7:42 am

I think Troll dolls kind of made a comeback in the 90's too.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/04 at 8:24 pm

I remember kids walking around with pacifiers in their mouths.  Pretty stupid if you ask me ;D

Yeah,that was ridiculous.What were they thinking? ???

Howard

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/22/04 at 8:41 pm

Yeah,that was ridiculous.What were they thinking? ???

Howard

My girlfriend in 1999 used to do that.  I thought she was just acting stupidly babyish, had no idea it was actually a fad.

Written By: bj26 on 07/23/04 at 7:21 am

Hey, don't forget Beanie Babies, I spent a pretty penny on those things :)

Written By: nycmystery on 10/25/05 at 7:04 pm

the pacifier "fad " started because of the drug ecstacy,,,when a kid would take cstacy he would grind his teeth or bite his lips  and get dry mouth,,,thats why the pacifier

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 7:13 pm

gia pets and Furbees! AH!!! Or how about Yo-Yo's or What's Up!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't remind me!

Don't you mean Chia Pets and Furbys?  ;D

By the way.... FURBY'S BACK!  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 7:14 pm

What about Cat In The Hat hats?  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 10/25/05 at 7:17 pm

the pacifier "fad " started because of the drug ecstacy,,,when a kid would take cstacy he would grind his teeth or bite his lips  and get dry mouth,,,thats why the pacifier

that was around way before the ecstasy sensation hit. Many hip-hop groups, like TLC, sported them and it caught on.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/05 at 9:43 pm

Backwards clothing....  ::)  ;D

Written By: audkal on 10/25/05 at 11:20 pm

Don't you mean Chia Pets and Furbys?  ;D

By the way.... FURBY'S BACK!  ::)

Or he might've meant giga pets and furbys(?)

Even so, I had both of them, they were AWESOME.  I did see the new furby in Toys R Us recently, but I still have more respect for the old furby.

I also had alot of Beanie Babies.  I was one of those freaks that had to get all the miniature ones they were offering at McDonalds.  I remember 70-year-old ladies ordering happy meals just to get the Beanie Babies with them.

Written By: chiefyamick on 10/29/05 at 12:58 am

Anybody remember those bracelets that were basically pieces of metal with a fabric casing that you had to "slap" onto your wrist?? I'm pretty sure those were early 90's....

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/29/05 at 11:00 am

I remember weird fads of the 90's there were those snap braclets in the early 90's other were pokemon,internet (still in use from the 90's) and also so much more

Written By: Mushroom on 10/29/05 at 11:19 am

"Big Johnson" t-shirts.
"No Fear" t-shirts
"Hypercolor" t-shirts

Written By: nycmystery on 10/29/05 at 11:25 am

what about the white tshirts with thte bold black lettering that would say various,,"FRANKIE SAYS......"

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/29/05 at 3:44 pm

what about the white tshirts with thte bold black lettering that would say various,,"FRANKIE SAYS......"
THAT'S an 80's fad right there

Written By: nycmystery on 10/30/05 at 12:10 am

my fave was "FRANKIE SAYS GO F YOURSELF"  lol

Written By: Tigerghost on 10/30/05 at 3:49 pm

I was in grade school in late 90's and was dragged into the whole Pokemon thing too, I was surprised at how fast that caught on... I must have spent millions of dollars on those cards :-[ Now People at my High School are doing the whole Yu-Gi-Oh thing, no way will I do that.. been there done that... I consider card games a waist of time and money.

If any1 of you were in grade school in the 90's like I was, just one question. At my school kids would stick their milk cartons facing the sky, the arrow would point to the person you loved. Did any1 else have to do that with their milk cartons.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/30/05 at 4:41 pm

Tamagotchi...............  I even had one.... briefly.....  ::)  ;D

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:37 pm

Tamagotchi...............  I even had one.... briefly.....  ::)  ;D

As a late teen\early 20something I kept confusing them with Pokemon.

Subject: Pant roll

Written By: Echo Nomad on 03/03/06 at 2:38 pm

I remember the strange ritual of the "pant roll". There was a ridged code of who, how, and how good, you were expected to do it. I cheated and used a pin.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:29 pm

I remember the keychain on backpack and lanyard fad of like 95-97, it was pretty weird looking. I also remember the pacifier fad, and when everyone in my grade school was into Pokemon c. 1998 or so...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/03/06 at 7:14 pm

Magic: The Gathering  card games

Written By: nikki89 on 03/04/06 at 12:57 pm

I remember Giga Pets and Tamagochis from 3rd grade. Eventually so many kids were bringing them to school they got banned so my mom had to take care of mine at work!

I was also VERY into Pokemon in 5th grade, I can't tell you how much money my parents wasted on that stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...