inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: America's Funniest Home Videos

Written By: eightiesfan on 05/24/04 at 12:42 pm

Did anybody like this show in the 90's when it was really good?  My favorite clips were those ones where people would fall down unexpectedly. I thought Bob Saget was a great host too, especially when he would introduce home videos with the funny voices and commentary. I know it's still on the air these days, but I don't think it's the same without Saget.

Subject: Re: America's Funniest Home Videos

Written By: ... on 05/24/04 at 3:10 pm

Yeah, it's had a number of different hosts since Saget was replaced; I used to watch it when he was the host. Sometimes a few of his "Full House" co-stars would drop by the show.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/04 at 7:16 pm

I think the new host is David Bergeron from the HollyWood Squares 2 Game Show.

Howard

Written By: nally on 05/25/04 at 9:48 am

I think the new host is David Bergeron from the HollyWood Squares 2 Game Show.

Howard, Tom Bergeron is the host of Hollywood Squares. Does he have a brother named David? ???

Written By: ... on 05/25/04 at 2:16 pm

Does he have a brother named David? ???

I don't think so, Mr. Nally. Howard probably made a mistake. Of course it's Tom Bergeron. ;)

Written By: Kitten on 05/25/04 at 2:57 pm

I hated Bob Saget little voices, the writing was soooooooooooooooooo past lame and I think Bobby did most of that too. However I like it as a kid  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/25/04 at 3:00 pm

How about they come up with a new show called American Saddest Home Videos? ;D

Howard

Written By: nally on 05/25/04 at 5:39 pm

I used to like watching the show the first few years it was on, but by 1995 I kinda lost interest in it. There were some non-violent funny ones I enjoyed, like those involving animals.

Written By: AL-B on 05/25/04 at 8:53 pm

I hated Bob Saget little voices, the writing was soooooooooooooooooo past lame and I think Bobby did most of that too. However I like it as a kid  ;)
I hated Saget too

Written By: JT74 on 05/25/04 at 11:16 pm

I always hated Saget.  None of his jokes were ever funny, and they always played those stupid staged videos from film-maker wannabes during his reign. 

I liked it when Daisy Fuentes and John Fugelsank (or whatever) hosted the show.  They had great chemistry and didn't look nearly as foolish as Saget.  The guy from Hollywood Squares is good too...

Written By: Kitten on 05/26/04 at 10:59 am

The only time that Saget was ever funny was in half baked and he was at a drug user anonymous and he yelled out "You ever sucked dick cocaine? No? then sit down!" it was just so shocking to hear him say that!

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/03/04 at 4:16 pm

Ha ha!  Someone got hit with a basketball!  Ha ha!  Some cat ran into a wall!  Ha ha!  Some guy fell in a pool!  Ha ha!  Does the comedy never end! 

America's Funniest Home Videos makes the world a dark place without happiness.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/04 at 5:12 pm

They should push the envelope a bit and make a show entitled America's Saddest Home Videos.You'd see funerals,fistfights,blood,war,gore,etc...hosted by an actor which I can't think of at the moment. ;D

Howard

Written By: AL-B on 06/03/04 at 7:05 pm

They should have called this show "America's Funniest Home Videos Of Babies Kicking Their Daddies In The Nuts." That pretty much sums it all up, in a nutshell. ;D Now cue the studio audience: "Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!"

Oh yeah, and what about those "Jackelope" segments? (In cutesy Saget voice:)"Fast as fast can be, you can't catch me!" Real funny, Bob.

Written By: onaree on 06/04/04 at 1:05 pm

Actually, the Jackalope was on "America's Funniest People" with Dave Coulier and the woman who played Caliope on Days of Our Lives.  But, I agree, they were lame.

However, to this day I stil LOVE AFHV.  My husband and cats think I'm crazy.  I laugh through every video.

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 1:09 pm

Actually, the Jackalope was on "America's Funniest People" with Dave Coulier and the woman who played Caliope on Days of Our Lives.  But, I agree, they were lame.

However, to this day I stil LOVE AFHV.  My husband and cats think I'm crazy.  I laugh through every video.

Tawny Kitaen from the Whitesnake videos also co-hosted America's Funniest People with Dave Coulier for the last 2 seasons after the first woman left - I remember watching that back-to-back with Funniest Home Videos on Sunday nights.

Written By: Harmonica on 06/04/04 at 10:16 pm

I still watch the show whenever it's on, no matter who the host was. I used to think Bob Sagat was horrible, but when I watch show me the funny, or the planets funniest animals, or the new hose of America's funniest people I realize that Sagat was actually the best one.

Theirs this clip with this Fat woman that try's to go parasailing but it can't get her up in the air she goes bumpidy bump along the beach. It is the funniest clip I've ever seen it makes me laugh so hard everytime I see it.

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/07/04 at 7:37 am

I still remember the first video that ever won the grand prize - it was the one where the woman gets her hair stuck in the dishwasher and her husband just keeps laughing and videotaping the whole thing instead of helping her right away. It was no surprise to me when they showed her in the audience during the show with much shorter hair.

Written By: ... on 06/22/04 at 10:33 am

I still remember the first video that ever won the grand prize - it was the one where the woman gets her hair stuck in the dishwasher and her husband just keeps laughing and videotaping the whole thing instead of helping her right away. It was no surprise to me when they showed her in the audience during the show with much shorter hair.

I didn't think that was all that funny. >:( If my wife's hair got stuck in the dishwasher, I'd help her right away.

Written By: nally on 06/24/04 at 1:29 pm

Tawny Kitaen from the Whitesnake videos also co-hosted America's Funniest People with Dave Coulier for the last 2 seasons after the first woman left - I remember watching that back-to-back with Funniest Home Videos on Sunday nights.

I think I only watched "Funniest People" like, one time. I didn't much care for it, though. ::) :-\\

Written By: ... on 07/20/04 at 1:33 pm

I think I only watched "Funniest People" like, one time. I didn't much care for it, though. ::) :-\\

I've never watched "Funniest People." Are there any networks that are airing it in syndication? Cuz I want to check it out sometime.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/21/04 at 7:02 am

I always hated that show.  I also blame that show for starting the whole reality TV thing thats taken over TV today.

Written By: muddybunny on 07/26/04 at 7:27 pm

my absolute favorite winner was the little boy singing the Mickey Mouse Club theme.  Do any of you know where I can find that video?  I had it on TIVO but it was erased and I'm sooooooo upset. :-

Written By: zapato on 08/20/04 at 4:45 pm

occasionaly there would be a funny video, but it's usually boring

Written By: Mr. X on 09/03/04 at 10:25 am

I've never watched "Funniest People." Are there any networks that are airing it in syndication? Cuz I want to check it out sometime.

I don't think so.

Written By: bob recon on 12/10/04 at 8:37 pm

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/10/04 at 10:31 pm

It was funny, up until people kept sending in the same video over and over again.  ::)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/11/04 at 5:32 pm

I remember watching it as a kid because I was a mega Full House fan from the time I was 4 to when I was 8 or 9.
I'd watch pretty much anything associated with Full House, TGIF or the Disney Afternoon back then.

Written By: nally on 12/12/04 at 9:04 pm

It was funny, up until people kept sending in the same video over and over again.  ::)

Yeah...for the first two or three years I didn't mind it. I liked the videos with the dogs. Does anyone remember seeing a cat falling off a TV set?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/12/04 at 11:12 pm

Yeah...for the first two or three years I didn't mind it. I liked the videos with the dogs. Does anyone remember seeing a cat falling off a TV set?

You mean the one they showing over and over again?  ::)

Written By: micaela on 01/15/05 at 8:59 pm

i like this

hay is anyone a fan of usher   ;D

Written By: LadyGaladriel on 01/16/05 at 8:53 pm

I remember watching AFHV religiously every time it was on. I'd laugh hysterically whenever someone got hurt, and my mother would always go "That's not nice! That's so mean!", but I never stopped laughing...I still watch the reruns, even if I've seen the show a million times.

Written By: eightiesfan on 01/18/05 at 4:07 pm

Remember how Bob Saget used to talk to his wife on camera at the end of every show?  He'd always say something like, "And Honey, ....".  Unfortunately, they're divorced now.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/05 at 4:58 pm

Remember how Bob Saget used to talk to his wife on camera at the end of every show?  He'd always say something like, "And Honey, ....".  Unfortunately, they're divorced now.

Yeah,that was corny.What was that about? ;D

Howard

Written By: Mergal on 01/19/05 at 9:03 am

Bob Saget rubs me the wrong way for some reason, and a lot of those video were rather lame. One clip even showed some kid's popsicle falling off the stick. Ha ha, that's such a knee slapper!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/05 at 9:31 am

Bob Saget rubs me the wrong way for some reason, and a lot of those video were rather lame. One clip even showed some kid's popsicle falling off the stick. Ha ha, that's such a knee slapper!

I am with you on this one.... some of those videos are lame!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Joe Blough on 02/08/05 at 2:10 pm

You're an idiot like Saget was and still is. Tom Bergeron is funnier than Saget could ever dream to be.

Written By: Renee on 02/08/05 at 6:21 pm

I thought Bob Sagot did a good job when he hosted it.  And Tom Bergeron does a good job too. How long did Bob host AFHV?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/08/05 at 6:56 pm

I like the show with Saget and Bergeron.  I didn't like it with Daisy Fuentes and the other guy. 

It is nice to be able to sit down with my daughter on Sunday night and watch a show I know won't have any little surprises that my daughter doesn't need to see.

Written By: nally on 02/08/05 at 9:59 pm

How long did Bob host AFHV?

About 7 years, I think. From 1990-97. After that, the show got a new host and a new set.

Written By: NbC on 02/09/05 at 5:36 am

I loved to watch that show when it first came out.  It was hilarious.  I never cared for Bob Saget as a host.  He just seems so stiff (very much like he is on Full House)  and his jokes.... :P

Written By: SkyLowLow on 02/09/05 at 10:44 am

I loved to watch that show when it first came out.  It was hilarious.  I never cared for Bob Saget as a host.  He just seems so stiff (very much like he is on Full House)  and his jokes.... :P

He doesn't bother me anymore...

...maybe I just mellowed out.

Written By: Dan Hoe on 04/25/05 at 12:58 pm

CAN SOMEONE GET ME THE THEME SONG LYRICS FOR AFHV  THANKS

Written By: DAN HOE on 04/25/05 at 12:59 pm

Did anybody like this show in the 90's when it was really good?  My favorite clips were those ones where people would fall down unexpectedly. I thought Bob Saget was a great host too, especially when he would introduce home videos with the funny voices and commentary. I know it's still on the air these days, but I don't think it's the same without Saget.

CAN SOMEONE GET ME THE LYRICS TO THE THEME SONG OF AFHV

Written By: Schillingfan on 04/30/05 at 11:39 pm

I like Tom Bergeron! He's really good! My favourite was when the woman messed up USA's national anthem! I'm Canadian and that kept me laughing really hard!

Written By: MAtt on 05/24/05 at 1:47 am

CAN SOMEONE GET ME THE LYRICS TO THE THEME SONG OF AFHV

Yea I Can,The Son Had A Intro, 1 VS A Chorus 2 VS Chorus Than Another Chorus (This IS WHen The Sax Is Playing) 2VS (With Sax)
3VS (A Vs With A Sax DOign The Words) CH,4th VS Eletric Guriter,CH, Then A Xter Ch,

1 Vs. We Got LAugh From Coast To Coast To MAke You Smile A Real Like Look At Each Of You To Capture All That Style,
CH. Your The Red White And Blue The Funny Things You DO AMerica America This Is you
2vs. stories from your freinds next door they never to you might be a star tonight so let the camra roll
CH your the red white and blue oh the funny tings you do america america this is you.

And I Have Seen The WOmen Sing ANd Record The SOng Myself

Written By: SpaceHog on 05/27/05 at 9:10 am

I hate Bob ******

Written By: erquil on 06/20/05 at 11:03 am

Yea I Can,The Son Had A Intro, 1 VS A Chorus 2 VS Chorus Than Another Chorus (This IS WHen The Sax Is Playing) 2VS (With Sax)
3VS (A Vs With A Sax DOign The Words) CH,4th VS Eletric Guriter,CH, Then A Xter Ch,

1 Vs. We Got LAugh From Coast To Coast To MAke You Smile A Real Like Look At Each Of You To Capture All That Style,
CH. Your The Red White And Blue The Funny Things You DO AMerica America This Is you
2vs. stories from your freinds next door they never to you might be a star tonight so let the camra roll
CH your the red white and blue oh the funny tings you do america america this is you.

And I Have Seen The WOmen Sing ANd Record The SOng Myself

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE NAME OF THE THEME SONG

And I have to say I like Bob as a host but I can't stand the set up videos especially when they win >:(

Written By: erquil on 06/21/05 at 1:12 pm

Hey can anybody tell me the name of this theme song it is very urgent

Written By: eightieschick53 on 06/21/05 at 10:23 pm

I know this is going to sound really mean and a lot of you might think I am a b*tch but I used to call Bob Saget "Saget the ******." My whole family thought it was hilaurious and I started saying this when I was about 6 years old, before I even knew what a ****** was!  ;D

Anyways, as for the host of the show, I personally like Tom Bergeron. I think he is funnier and seems to be a lot more looser then Bob, not as stiff and cold...not that Bob was that cold, but I don't know...he never seemed to get really personal with the audience.

Written By: matt on 06/22/05 at 12:29 am

CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE NAME OF THE THEME SONG

And I have to say I like Bob as a host but I can't stand the set up videos especially when they win >:(

Yea The Name Of It Is  "The Funny Thigs You Do" By Jill Colucci And Stewart Harris And The Music By Dan Slider, ANd I Have The Sheet Music From The Show.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 07/18/05 at 10:50 am

I've seen AFHM, they show it sometimes on daytime TV... I didn't find it particularly funny. It was mostly:

Man walks into lamp-post   ???
Kid tries to skate down half-pipe and instead falls flat on his arse   ???
Random kids ride downhill in a little red cart, and then fall off into river at bottom of hill   ???

And 'America's Funniest Pets' and all that crap isn't funny either, but saying that, neither are the British equivalents such as 'You've Been Framed' - most of the videos on the British one are staged... and therefore not very funny  :P

Written By: whistledog on 12/07/05 at 12:16 am

The funniest one was where the two guys were running track, and the first guys hats flies off onto the second guy's head  ;D

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/07/05 at 8:33 am

This is the best show ever. You're probably going to think I'm weird, but Bob Saget was my favorite host. I admire his G rated work and despise his X work. Coming in at a close second would be Tom Bergeron. I always try to stay away from the ones with John and Daisy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/07/05 at 3:34 pm

Somehow I missed this post 'till now.

Did anybody like this show in the 90's when it was really good?

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/07/05 at 4:13 pm

He basically played the same kind of character as Danny Tanner too. The "voices" were classic too.

During the Bob Saget years, AFHV seemed sorta like a spinoff of Full House. That's just my opinion. Like in one $100,000 episode, there was a scene with Joey and uncle Jesse turning on the TV and seeing the opening of AFHV. They thought Bob Saget was Danny. The actors that played them even came by at the end of the episode to announce the $100,000 winner.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/07/05 at 4:26 pm

^ I never saw that episode, but it sounds cute. It also kinda solves the "FH Universe versus our Universe" question regarding Bob Saget.

Bob Saget in their universe, I guess, just had alot more free time on his hands, or starred in another sitcom that doesn't exist to us. Because obviously Full House doesn't exist in the FH universe.

But yeah, I think once he left, the show kinda died with him. He was on it for so long that it just didn't feel the same. They changed the set after he left and got dual hosts (a guy and a girl - I forget their names) and somehow, it wasn't as funny or entertaining. Other than reruns, I haven't hardly watched it since.

Written By: witchain on 12/07/05 at 4:39 pm

My mother was visiting me in LA and actually talked me into taking her to a screening. I almost didn't go because there was a dress code. Anyway, Saget was the host and I didn't enjoy it.
All TV shows are staged of course, but this was excessive and completely fake.
"Applause" and "Laughter" signs flashing everywhere- it sucked.
It makes you wonder just how gullible America is...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/08/05 at 6:47 pm

I liked the show but it seems like most of the clips (at least in the later years) were people falling down or getting hit in the head with something. To me, that wasn't funny. 

My sister had a clip of my niece when she was about 6 or so that everyone told her to send in but she didn't. My niece was singing in a school program. The first song, she barely moved her lips and was looking around throughout the song. Then they started the next song and my niece started singing on the top her lungs and in the middle she said really loud, "I know THIS song, Mommy." The camera was shaking from my sister laughing. We still think that she should have sent it in.

Cat

Written By: Jenny on 08/19/06 at 9:32 pm

That is the funniest thing I've ever seen on tv. Seriously. Have you found it? Been looking......

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/06 at 10:02 pm

It's still on the air.  Sundays on ABC

It's not the same without Saget, but Bergeron does a good job

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/19/06 at 10:12 pm

It's still on the air.  Sundays on ABC

It's not the same without Saget, but Bergeron does a good job

You're right. Saget was awesome, Bergeron is pretty good.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 6:56 pm

They've syndicated the original AFV on the channels that I get, and I am loving it.  I totally forgot about that fake family that sat up in the corner watching TV.  I love when Bob would make a remark about them as they got up and left ;D

"You might be a star tonight, so let that camera roll"

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 7:01 pm

i have always hated this show, but i get a cozy feeling from watching the older, bob saget-hosted episodes.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/16/07 at 7:16 pm

Is it true that Tom Bergeron is leaving and being replaced by Ricki Lake? The only site that says it is Wikipedia so I'm a little unsure, especially because the news on that site changes every few days.

Written By: audkal on 09/16/07 at 10:55 pm

Yeah I remember all 3 eras of AFV (pretty sure there were only 3).  I think Bob was by far the best host for that show.  My mom actually sent a video of me into AFV during the Saget era.  It was me in early '92 trying to make bread (I wasn't even 3 yet), so I was dropping the dough all over the floor and everything.  Unfortunately, AFV didn't use it, I think it was too long.

EDIT:  Woops, was a little tired when I wrote this--the video was actually from '91, but my mom sent it in '92. (If that matters).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/19/07 at 10:54 am

I've always liked the show. I've been watching it on and off ever since Bob Saget was hosting, and still like to watch it today even with the new host. I guess overall I prefer the Saget era of the show, but mostly because of the nostalgia factor.

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/09 at 9:31 pm

Here's a wee bit of trivia:  America's Funniest Home Videos was based on a home video segment of a popular Japanese TV show called 'Fun TV with Kato-chan and Ken-chan'

In Japan, the duo were so popular that they were given their own video game for the PC Engine titled 'Kato-chan and Ken-chan'.  This would eventually be ported over to the Turbo Grafx-16 (The International version of the PC Engine) in an Englsh translated version titled 'J.J. and Jeff'.  Having owned a TG-16, I was a big fan of J.J. and Jeff.  It was a weird game and featured alot of the strange humour from it's Japanese counterpart, but I loved it!

http://www.virtualconsolemondays.com/screens/turbografx/jj-and-jeff.png
http://www.micro-paradise.fr/Gifs/Images/PCEngine/Kato_ken_01.png

Written By: 90steen on 05/20/09 at 3:13 pm

Bob Saget was so funny on that. Especially the difference between him and Danny Tanner which everyone I knew thought was hysterical. Sometimes I like seeing old episodes, where the videos that show have a 90's date on them. Like "05/20/1996" or something like that.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/09 at 7:46 pm

Bob Saget was so funny on that. Especially the difference between him and Danny Tanner which everyone I knew thought was hysterical. Sometimes I like seeing old episodes, where the videos that show have a 90's date on them. Like "05/20/1996" or something like that.

Yeah, Bob was awesome on the show. I liked the voiceovers he did and his sorta geeky but fun sense of humor. I think he left in 1996 and I remembered thinking it wasn't as good, that's when they changed the "living room" set and got rid of the old theme song.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/21/09 at 8:30 pm

Speaking as the minority here, I love the show but hated Bob Saget. When Saget hosted the show I would
watch with sound turned down. To me, he was pretentious and unfunny and his stand up was no better.
Tom Bergeron does a good job but my favorite host, or should I say hostess, was Daisy Fuentes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/09 at 8:40 pm

^ Tom is okay, but he bores me compared to Bob Saget who just seemed to make the show alot of fun. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/09 at 8:46 pm

Saget and Bergeron both have/had their own unique style of hosting the show.  But I would say I like Saget a little more.

I do think Tom Bergeron is the BEST TV/Game Show host since Ray Combs

Check for new replies or respond here...