inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of the Bands: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or STP.

Written By: woops on 05/26/04 at 7:31 pm

My choice: Nivana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & STP.  8)

Subject: Re: Battle of the Bands: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or STP.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 8:34 pm

I voted for Nirvana & Soundgarden...I also think Adam Sandler had Eddie Vedders voice down perfect a few years back though... ;D

Written By: AL-B on 05/26/04 at 9:14 pm

I voted for Nirvana & Soundgarden...I also think Adam Sandler had Eddie Vedders voice down perfect a few years back though... ;D
I chose Nirvana and Soundgarden--I like STP but they're not in the same league as these other bands, and I got burned out on Pearl Jam quite a while ago.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/27/04 at 6:08 am

Pearl Jam and Nirvana 

Written By: Gwen on 05/27/04 at 7:35 am

Stone Temple Pilots!!!

Written By: Lanie on 05/27/04 at 3:13 pm

All of the Above!!! I was a big fan of all of them,especially in the 90's.

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/27/04 at 8:26 pm

in order:

Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
STP
Nirvana

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/27/04 at 8:29 pm

Nirvana! Then STP, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/28/04 at 8:34 am

None of the Above  :o

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/28/04 at 8:38 am

I chose Nirvana and Soundgarden--I like STP but they're not in the same league as these other bands, and I got burned out on Pearl Jam quite a while ago.
I agree absolutely!!

Written By: resinchaser on 05/28/04 at 3:51 pm

It goes like this for me:

Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
STP

Written By: bige31001 on 05/29/04 at 1:01 pm

Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Two of the best rock and roll bands in te past 25 years. Great frontmen!!!!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 05/30/04 at 6:57 am

Soundgarden & STP.  But Alice In Chains beats them all  ;)

Written By: Rush on 05/30/04 at 8:00 pm

None Of The Above!!!

Written By: AL-B on 05/31/04 at 2:00 am

You know, you left out one of the best bands of that era, one that is as good as if not better than all of the aforementioned groups:

ALICE IN CHAINS!!!

Written By: MooRocca on 05/31/04 at 11:20 pm

All of the above!

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/03/04 at 4:13 pm

Seriously, the grunge Big Four are Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and ALICE IN CHAINS.  STP just don't enter into it; not only are they not part of the Seattle Four, they were also nowhere near as good a band. 

Now I, being the cliche I am, will have to cast my vote for Nirvana.

Written By: Koop on 06/04/04 at 10:42 pm

STP, followed by  Soundgarden...especially Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/05/04 at 7:15 pm

Seriously, the grunge Big Four are Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and ALICE IN CHAINS.  STP just don't enter into it; not only are they not part of the Seattle Four, they were also nowhere near as good a band. 

Are you kidding me? ???  Yeah, STP had their own style & sound and were even borderline glam at one point, but they were a HUGE part of the grunge movement.

Written By: tv on 06/05/04 at 11:17 pm

STP was my favorite band around 1995-1996 and then lead singer Scott Weiland fell on hard times with drug adiction. They were a great band from 1992-1996 looking backing on it. I think Pearl Jam and Soundgarden were maybe better bands than STP but STP is my favorite band of the 90's. STP in the 90's did what Hall and Oates did in the 80's: they weren't labeled as great but like Hall and Oates did in the 80's STP had alot of hit singles in the 90's. I know comparing STP to Hall and Oates is weird but I just had to put the comparison out there.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 5:38 pm

I liked them all. However, my order would be

STP
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Soundgarden (my dad freaked out when he saw "Black Hole Sun" for the first time)

Tanya

Written By: PJfan on 08/24/04 at 8:45 pm

1. Pearl Jam
2. Nirvana
3. STP
4. Soundgarden

Pearl Jam is like the best band ever! Alive, Jeremy, Betterman, Even Flow.. so many great songs, some of the best ever. But nothing beats Black.. if you havent heard that song, omg you've gotta! It is so powerful. I love it

Written By: Lanie on 08/26/04 at 11:09 am

All of the Above!!!

Written By: Ripley on 12/15/22 at 4:08 pm

1. Soundgarden
2. STP
3. Nirvana
4. Pearl Jam
5. Alice In Chains

Chris Cornell is my favorite male vocalist of all time! 🖤 Scott, Kurt and Layne all had great voices and Eddie does too but Chris will always be my favorite vocalist.

Written By: Big Smoke on 03/22/23 at 8:13 pm

as an ignorant 2010s kid STP FTW I have tired listening to the others bands mentioned in the poll but they were meh, IDK STP seems more accessible  to me and also I discovered them back in 2019 (when I was starting to get into rock/heavier sh!t) at the thrift store after seeing the album "core" on CD there. I then tired No.4 was the sh!t I loved the song "Sex and Violence" and I instantly feel in love with the band until...... I listed to their 2018 album (but were not going to talk about that)

oh and Chris Cornell was better in audioslave, IMO

SET THIS FU**KER OFF- Chris Cornell- 2002

Written By: whistledog on 03/25/23 at 6:58 pm

If I am honest, all those bands I feel are overrated.  Back in the 90s grunge era, all those bands sort of sounded the same:  a deep voiced singer who sounds like he's on suicide row.  I did like Pearl Jam's version of Last Kiss.  That's a song that no one can really get wrong

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 03/25/23 at 7:45 pm

If I am honest, all those bands I feel are overrated.  Back in the 90s grunge era, all those bands sort of sounded the same:  a deep voiced singer who sounds like he's on suicide row.  I did like Pearl Jam's version of Last Kiss.  That's a song that no one can really get wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj8FIUGLgDM

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/25/23 at 8:41 pm

I must respectfully disagree. Although these bands may have all came from the Seattle area (and I still have to take OP to task for his glaring omission of Alice In Chains from this poll, not to mention that Stone Temple Pilots came from California), I found them to be vastly different from each other. Nirvana was a punk band, Soundgarden, AIC, and STP were more metal-influenced, and Pearl Jam had more of a hippie/stoner vibe to them. Really, the main thing these bands had in common was that they had more gravitas than the hair-metal bands that preceded them.

In addition, I believe that 1992's Dirt by Alice In Chains was one of the greatest albums of the 1990's and that Layne Staley was one of the best rock vocalists of the last 30 years, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.  8)

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 03/26/23 at 4:41 pm

I must respectfully disagree. Although these bands may have all came from the Seattle area (and I still have to take OP to task for his glaring omission of Alice In Chains from this poll, not to mention that Stone Temple Pilots came from California), I found them to be vastly different from each other. Nirvana was a punk band, Soundgarden, AIC, and STP were more metal-influenced, and Pearl Jam had more of a hippie/stoner vibe to them. Really, the main thing these bands had in common was that they had more gravitas than the hair-metal bands that preceded them.

In addition, I believe that 1992's Dirt by Alice In Chains was one of the greatest albums of the 1990's and that Layne Staley was one of the best rock vocalists of the last 30 years, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on.  8)

This is exactly right.

Check for new replies or respond here...