inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Horror Flicks of the 90's

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/04/04 at 10:49 am

To me, the scariest movie on this list is Blair Witch Project, but I thought the Scream movies and I Know What You Did Last Summer are pretty cool too.

Subject: Re: Best Horror Flicks of the 90's

Written By: resinchaser on 06/04/04 at 11:14 am

Biodome and Son In Law. Those movies still haunt me to this day.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/04/04 at 11:54 am

Biodome and Son In Law. Those movies still haunt me to this day.

Yeah ;D  I feel the same way!

Written By: Harmonica on 06/04/04 at 10:11 pm

Although I liked Scream's and thought I know what you did last summer's all I can really say about 90's horror flicks is that they butched and destroyed horror movies.

Some of the worst sequels I've ever seen where made in the 90's. Halloween H20, ignoring 4,5,6. With all the work Donald Pleasence did in those movies, and the heart and soul he put into the fims, that sure was a sheeshty way of screwing him over just for the sake of Jamie Lee Curtis.  Bride of Chucky, where in the Hell was Andy Barclay. God that movie sucked, although it did have it's moments. Jason X(I know 00's) but still it sucked majorly. No Camp crytal lake, in Space? Leprecaun in the Hood was so stupid that it went straight to video.

Thank God for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake, finally something worthy of Horror.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/04/04 at 10:22 pm

I haven't had a film scare me since The Shining.  They just don't make 'em like they used to :(

Written By: Lanie on 06/04/04 at 10:32 pm

Blair Witch Project

Written By: Fred on 06/05/04 at 12:57 am

Thank God for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake, finally something worthy of Horror.

To be completely honest with you the original 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better. The remake wasn't scary at all.  :P What was with the girl who got shot in the van ??? Why didn't they have Leatherface's crazy brother cut Franklin's hand like in the original? Anyways, IMO the original kicked arse.

Written By: Harmonica on 06/05/04 at 3:58 pm

Fred - I dont' like to knock originals at all but the original had absolutley no story behind it whatsoever. At least the remake lets you know who the killers are and why the do what they do. You got to know the victems a little better in the remake as well. I liked the original too, but it's nowhere in comparrison to the remake. It was just a bunch of kids getting killed for no reason.

Want to know something really funny? Theirs a girl in my class that thought that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre really happened in Texas, and that Thomas Hewitt was real.  When I proved her wrong and told her about Ed Gein of Plainfield Wisconsin, The B*tch of Belson, and Toby Hoopers crazy ideas man was she trapped in a denial.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/06/04 at 10:17 am

Fred - I dont' like to knock originals at all but the original had absolutley no story behind it whatsoever. At least the remake lets you know who the killers are and why the do what they do. You got to know the victems a little better in the remake as well. I liked the original too, but it's nowhere in comparrison to the remake. It was just a bunch of kids getting killed for no reason.

Want to know something really funny? Theirs a girl in my class that thought that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre really happened in Texas, and that Thomas Hewitt was real.  When I proved her wrong and told her about Ed Gein of Plainfield Wisconsin, The B*tch of Belson, and Toby Hoopers crazy ideas man was she trapped in a denial.

The fact that the slaughter in the original seemed to happen for no reason and was never explained is what made the film so shocking and realistic, because in reality things like that often do happen for what appear to be no reason. I agree there's no plot, but again, that was done to make it more realistic. As for the remake, I liked it.

Written By: Captain_N on 06/06/04 at 9:11 pm

I am voting for Silence of the Lambs. It may not be a true horror film, but it was definately better than what was listed.

Written By: Harmonica on 06/06/04 at 11:40 pm

The fact that the slaughter in the original seemed to happen for no reason and was never explained is what made the film so shocking and realistic, because in reality things like that often do happen for what appear to be no reason. I agree there's no plot, but again, that was done to make it more realistic. As for the remake, I liked it.

Cannaibleistic people living out in the middle of no where Texas often have their mentally retarded son chase kids around and kill them with his chainsaw? I know what you were trying to say though. But I don't like Reality TV and if Toby Hooper was going for the More "reality" thing then maybe he should of based it Word for word on Ed Gein or at least made the Killers more realistic. I mean get real, never say never, but their isn't a cannibleistic family waiting for you in the middle of the Lone Star State, although a girl that was  in my class calling me an idiot clames their is.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 7:09 am

I am voting for Silence of the Lambs. It may not be a true horror film, but it was definately better than what was listed.

Good answer!!  You're right, it's not classified as a "horror" flick, but it did freak me out a little & the acting was perfect.

Another one that I liked A LOT was "Seven" with Brad Pitt.

Written By: mr.smith s on 06/07/04 at 7:00 pm

not in terms of scariest.  I choose Ravenous.  (1999)  That movie was quite intelligent And I lovew the views Depicted through manifest destiny and religion and the "American Dream",  and then adding cannibalism and greed in that mix.

awesome

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/31/04 at 5:36 pm

The first scream had scary elements, not overall frightful though. Blair Witch was scary b/c it played on my fears of being lost and not able to get back from which I came. Silence of the Lambs was psychologically scary - which is the worst way of being scared.

As for the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.....simply a joke.

Tanya

Written By: Kyle on 08/25/04 at 2:08 pm

You forgot one!  The Sixth Sense.  I see dead people!

Written By: Whisper on 08/25/04 at 2:14 pm

I Know What You Did Last Summer

Written By: bj26 on 08/25/04 at 3:24 pm

Jurassic Park gave me nightmares :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/04 at 9:32 pm

The Silence of the Lambs

SILENCE...OF....THE...LAMBS!

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/20/sprj.caf03.film.chainsaw.ap/story.silence.jpg

BLAIR WITCH was also REALLY scary.  It's like the people making the film analyzed all my childhood nightmares and extracted the scariest elements.  The reason SOTL wins by a nose is that THE KIDS in BLAIR WITCH were sooooo d*mn annoying, you almost start rooting for the witch!

Written By: Powerslave on 08/25/04 at 9:53 pm

Cannaibleistic people living out in the middle of no where Texas often have their mentally retarded son chase kids around and kill them with his chainsaw? I know what you were trying to say though. But I don't like Reality TV and if Toby Hooper was going for the More "reality" thing then maybe he should of based it Word for word on Ed Gein or at least made the Killers more realistic. I mean get real, never say never, but their isn't a cannibleistic family waiting for you in the middle of the Lone Star State, although a girl that was  in my class calling me an idiot clames their is.

I wasn't suggesting that the story was realistic. I was saying that the approach to making the film was a realistic one

Written By: Koop on 08/25/04 at 10:34 pm

I'm going with Silence of the Lambs

Written By: Apricot on 08/27/04 at 10:18 pm

My favorite part of the Blair Witch Project was when everyone died. ;D

What? Seriously, the movie would have been so much better if the car would've blown up with the kids in it and then just had 90 minutes of silence air. Just kidding, it was scary. Probably because it could happen.

By the way, it says in the beginning of the movie,

A year later their footage was found.

Who exactly found the footage? I could imagine it happening.

"Dude?"

"Yeah?"

"You see that cabin over there?"

"Yeah."

"I just got a crazy idea."

"Go on..."

"Let's go IN!"

"Okay!"

{Once inside and in basement}

"DUDE! A Camera!"

"Sweet dude!"

"Hey, dude?"

"Yeah?"

"I got another crazy idea!!!"

"Sweet!"

"Let's WATCH the film!"

"Sweet!!!!!"

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 11/08/04 at 11:49 am

I voted for "Other." My favorite horror flick of the '90's was "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Written By: Indy Gent on 11/08/04 at 12:12 pm

I think I went with Scream, although Silence of the Lambs was the scariest movie of any genre.

Written By: gordon_deppe on 11/13/04 at 8:21 am

Although the original Scream was not as frightening as some of the other films on the list, it is the #1 horror of the 90s to me. It was what sparked my interested in horror flicks, because before that I couldn't be bothered to watch that stuff. It was a "gateway" horror flick for me. However, the Scream movies that followed didn't quite measure up to the original.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/04 at 12:27 pm

I voted for Scream, my ultimate pick is Candyman.

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/13/04 at 2:00 pm

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
I loved the series, even though I saw it edited in re-runs on the Sci-Fi Channel (Is TFTC on DVD now?).
The movie ruled, it was superior to it's lame sequel, too.

Written By: Southern Image on 10/06/05 at 12:58 pm

The Haunting

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/06/05 at 4:06 pm

Of the ones selected, I went with I Know What You Did Last Summer - just because it was involved enough to spin a sequel. The idea of a dead (accidentally murdered) guy looking for revenge on those who killed him is the stuff nightmares are made of.

Despite the semi cheesiness (not to mention it being hyped to death back in '99), The Blair Witch scared me too. It was fictional, but presented to look as if it were a real story happening a few years earlier. Shot as a documentary, it made it seem more real.

I haven't had a film scare me since The Shining. They just don't make 'em like they used to :(

To an extent, I agree with this post.

Horror movies of the 60's 70's, and 80's were more scary in a truly frightening way, whereas 90's and 2000's horror movies are kinda scary in a make you jump/mildly startling way. Or it was more "realistic" with murders, chases or stalkings as opposed to monsters, which tended to make up horror movies of the past.

The Screams, etc. were definitely in that vein. I think it made it (almost) more relateable. Probably why the teen slasher movies caught on so strong from roughly 1996-2001 and still today, to a lesser degree.

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 10/07/05 at 6:02 am

I'll never understand why Scream is considered by everyone to be a horror movie. It is obviously a spoof/satire of the horror/slasher flick genre of the late 70's/early 80's. But it scared everyone and made loads of money, so they made sequels out of it, and by doing so cheapened the original. Am I the only person who understood the original intent of this film?

Check for new replies or respond here...