inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mariah Carey

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/09/04 at 12:23 am

Although she has fallen from grace in recent years, Mariah Carey was HUGE in the 90s...in the early 90s she had about 5 or more songs in rotation on the radio: Vision of Love, Dreamlover, Emotions, Hero, Anytime You Need a Friend, Love Takes Time, Can't Let Go, etc. She was my favorite singer back in the day, and it's so sad how she's pretty much laughed at by the public now. In my opinion, she was an integral part of the 90s just as much as Nirvana and Seinfeld. I was so dissapointed when E! failed to include her in their top 101 reasons the 90s Ruled program. Mariah was the pop princess of the 90s, not damned Britney Spears, who came out in 1999! Damn, I can't wait till I become I tv program director...! Ok, enough ranting!

Subject: Re: Mariah Carey

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/09/04 at 12:33 am

Mariah Carey was probably the most talented singer of the 90's.  She was also probably the worst.

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/09/04 at 10:24 am

Did anyone actually like the Movie "Glitter"? ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/04 at 10:28 am

Did anyone actually like the Movie "Glitter"? ::)

Yes.  Jay Leno and David Letterman.

They liked it because it gave them so much material to joke about.  ;D

Written By: zcrito on 06/09/04 at 10:29 pm

I always thought she had 2 or 3 songs worth listening to, like...

1992's "Make It Happen" and 2003's "Through the Rain (HQ2 Radio Edit)" come to mind.

:)

Written By: tv on 06/10/04 at 12:28 am

Yeah no doubt Mariah Carey was an important part of the 1990's pop culture scene alonng with Pearl Jam. I always think Mariah Carey and Pearl Jam were the 2 most popular musical acts of the 90's. Mariah had a good run from 1990-1997. In 1999 she tried to compete with Britney Spears and have a sexy image and all this. It just didn't work for Mariah. Then she had problens in her life and everything else. Mariah could have done alot more musically if she didn't try to change up her style in 1999. I think the sexy image she to potray really rubbed her fanbase the wrong way. As for Britney Spears being the pop princess of the 90's she came out at the tail end of the 90's.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/10/04 at 11:09 am

Some of her stuff I did like.  I agree with tv, I think if she didn't change her style like she did, she would have been better off and not endured alot of the criticism that she did.  Seemed like she felt the pressure from the up and comers in the late 90's and was doing anything she could to stay in the mainstream.

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/24/07 at 4:18 pm

Although she has fallen from grace in recent years, Mariah Carey was HUGE in the 90s...in the early 90s she had about 5 or more songs in rotation on the radio: Vision of Love, Dreamlover, Emotions, Hero, Anytime You Need a Friend, Love Takes Time, Can't Let Go, etc. She was my favorite singer back in the day, and it's so sad how she's pretty much laughed at by the public now. In my opinion, she was an integral part of the 90s just as much as Nirvana and Seinfeld. I was so dissapointed when E! failed to include her in their top 101 reasons the 90s Ruled program. Mariah was the pop princess of the 90s, not damned Britney Spears, who came out in 1999! Damn, I can't wait till I become I tv program director...! Ok, enough ranting!
Yeah, As If I Care!

Written By: Tim77Gt on 05/24/07 at 10:35 pm

What was the point of bumping a 3 year old thread just to tell the original poster that you don't care about the topic? How pointless and stupid.

Anyway, Mariah Carey happens to be the biggest female music artist in the history of music.  She had 14 #1 Hits during the 90's from 1990-1999, and 17 overall #1 hits, which I believe is only second to "The Beatles' for most #1 hits.

Amazingly enough, she had a #1 Hit in each year of the 90's.  She easily dominated the 90's music wise.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/24/07 at 11:10 pm

She dominated '90s pop music, I'm a pretty big fan of her though not all of her stuff is great of course. I think "One Sweet Day" with Boyz II Men was the biggest song of the 90s on the charts.

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/25/07 at 8:34 am

What was the point of bumping a 3 year old thread just to tell the original poster that you don't care about the topic? How pointless and stupid.

Anyway, Mariah Carey happens to be the biggest female music artist in the history of music.  She had 14 #1 Hits during the 90's from 1990-1999, and 17 overall #1 hits, which I believe is only second to "The Beatles' for most #1 hits.

Amazingly enough, she had a #1 Hit in each year of the 90's.  She easily dominated the 90's music wise.
You Dont even know your math, It's not even a 3 year old thread, When It's June 9, 2007, It Will be three years, how stupid.

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/25/07 at 11:36 am

You Dont even know your math, It's not even a 3 year old thread, When It's June 9, 2007, It Will be three years, how stupid.

..and?

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/25/07 at 11:48 am

..and?
That's how it is. WOW  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...